Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Jimlit posted:

Guys we have to be vigilant about the Chinese threat.....

What? Like how do you suck so bad at throwing it goes backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

You're fuckin like a Chinaman!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
pic too small

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ioAA8yNyY

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

IronicDongz posted:

pic too small

What is that from?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
its from china

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNUvqIsYo7k

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
CONTEMPORARY CHINESE ART:

I don't get it, but it reminds me of something President Wilson said in 1928 to a group of PR men: "You have taken over the job of creating desire and have transformed people into constantly moving happiness machines. Machines which have become the key to economic progress."

Liberation through economic development at the cost of ceding Chinese identity to vacuous, bobble-headed consumerism?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

pic too small

Awww the buildings are hugging

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

Accretionist posted:

CONTEMPORARY CHINESE ART:

I don't get it, but it reminds me of something President Wilson said in 1928 to a group of PR men: "You have taken over the job of creating desire and have transformed people into constantly moving happiness machines. Machines which have become the key to economic progress."

Liberation through economic development at the cost of ceding Chinese identity to vacuous, bobble-headed consumerism?

it doesn't matter if you think things are poo poo, you better die with that smile on

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

china is like russia without the vodka and bears

well they have ergoutou:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjgHInCACwA
(btw this dude is the most famous comedian in china)

also their bears dont take poo poo from anybody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWwd-6qgJQ

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Bro Dad posted:

also their bears dont take poo poo from anybody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWwd-6qgJQ

That's roughly what zoos were like about 150 years ago in the west. Good work China, you're catching up.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Ivor Biggun posted:

That's roughly what zoos were like about 150 years ago in the west. Good work China, you're catching up.

China is like the dude that was so far ahead in the race that he thought he could take a nap. They then got woke up by gunboats and poo poo and were like "How long was I out?"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

china also has some pretty baller homeless people:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

Edit:

And the counter-measures:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
China doesn't have to reach the same peaks of prosperity as America/Western Europe. With almost 1.5 billion people they just need to advance a little further and then they'll be able to manoeuvre more comfortably into the role as a superpower :)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bro Dad posted:

Hipsters wish they could be as cool as this homeless man.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Want to go to Yangshuo

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Zzulu posted:

China doesn't have to reach the same peaks of prosperity as America/Western Europe. With almost 1.5 billion people they just need to advance a little further and then they'll be able to manoeuvre more comfortably into the role as a superpower :)

Yeah, they've got their hurdles* but they'll probably spend a good 10 - 20 years at the top, at least, which'll be fun to watch

* Aging population, rising wages, fussier citizenry, manufacturing losses to S/SE Asia and ever increasing dependencies on imports of energy and I think food, too

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, they've got their hurdles* but they'll probably spend a good 10 - 20 years at the top, at least, which'll be fun to watch

* Aging population, rising wages, fussier citizenry, manufacturing losses to S/SE Asia and ever increasing dependencies on imports of energy and I think food, too

Define 'top'. I'd say its more like a power bottom.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Want to go to Yangshuo

Hell yea me too.

How do formations like that happen?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

this guy was called "brother sharp" and he was super popular on the chinese internet four years ago

turned out he was like severely mentally ill.

but then the chinese internet went all nuts for him and he was reunited with his faimly
http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/stories/brother-sharp-family-reunion-netizen-photoshops.html

then he began appearing in fashion shows and has plenty of fans

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

China is also a sausage fest since having a one-child policy in a patriarchal society created a situation where there are now roughly 40 million more young men than there are young women.

That's basically the equivalent of every male in a country the size of Germany being relegated to prostitutes and sex dolls for the rest of their life.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How to become a success in China: Be a mentally ill hobo :allears:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zzulu posted:

How to become a success in Chinaon the internet: Be a mentally ill hobo :allears:

fixed

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MadMattH posted:

Those two don't really look that bad, those trainers were right on that poo poo, especially that first dude.

Yeah seriously the first guy is quick. In the second one the lady just doesn't look like she's ever thrown anything ever before. Looks like a toddler throwing their cheerios on the ground.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The More You Know

A three-day dog-eating festival in China that has been practiced for the last 600 years has been banned after a wave of online outcry.

The annual festival held in Qianxi Township, Jinhua City in Zhejiang Province was cancelled after hundreds of thousands of netizens criticised it on social networking platform Weibo, news agency Xinhua reported.

A Weibo user named Junchangzai launched an online campaign to condemn the festival and his post was retweeted over 100,000 times. Photos showing encaged, skinned and butchered dogs from past festivals were posted online to garner awareness on the upcoming festival.

A survey administered by the local government reported that most local villages opposed the carnival. Junchangzai and other users also called on the government to intervene and ban the festival.

After the festival was banned, Junchangzai said, "The government's quick response should be encouraged. I hope eating dogs will not be a custom there anymore. It's not a carnival, but a massacre."

However, some villagers were unhappy with the ban. "It's our tradition, which the government has no right to ban," a villager told Xinhua.

The tradition dated back to 1389 commemorates the troops of Zhu Yuanzhang, who secretly silenced the dogs by killing them before seizing Qianxi. After the victory, soldiers feasted on the slaughtered dogs. The tradition of eating dogs is celebrated by an ancient fair that was replaced by a modern commodity fair.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

KoRMaK posted:

Hell yea me too.

How do formations like that happen?

The rain falls at an angle, which over a long period of time chisels away at the rock until you have formations like that. Some deserts have a similar phenomenon but with wind instead of rain because deserts.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Zzulu posted:

The tradition dated back to 1389 commemorates the troops of Zhu Yuanzhang, who secretly silenced the dogs by killing them before seizing Qianxi. After the victory, soldiers feasted on the slaughtered dogs. The tradition of eating dogs is celebrated by an ancient fair that was replaced by a modern commodity fair.

"How dare you take away our ancient cultural tradition of saying 'gently caress you' to our enemies?!"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never really thought about Chinese gays but it seems China is okay with them, at least

:nws: ancient chinese faggots

Seems like male lovers was all the rage in ancient china

man, i know so little about china god drat

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

actually china is very uncool to gays but mostly because of the whole fillial piety thing

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
hm, i wouldn't know

all I know is that in ancient china having a male lover made you cooler

"The political ideologies, philosophies, and religions of ancient China regarded homosexual relationships as a normal facet of life, and in some cases, promoted homosexual relationships as exemplary. Ming Dynasty literature, such as Bian Er Chai (弁而釵/弁而钗), portrays homosexual relationships between men as more enjoyable and more "harmonious" than heterosexual relationships.

As in Ancient Rome, homosexual relationships were prevalent in ancient China and were not regarded as morally deviant prior to the influence of foreign cultures. Writings from the Liu Song Dynasty claimed that homosexuality was as common as heterosexuality in the late 3rd century:

All the gentlemen and officials esteemed it. All men in the realm followed this fashion to the extent that husbands and wives were estranged. Resentful unmarried women became jealous."

lol
:gay:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

check out this podcast:

http://popupchinese.com/lessons/sinica/lgbt-china

the sort of homophobia in china is very different than western stuff and its mostly about the ability to have kids

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've been told that even if gays aren't actively persecuted as in Russia, being gay is uncool because you are supposed to do your part to keep the Family going. Having gay sex really doesn't contribute to that. The pressure can be especially bad if you are a woman, as China is a giant sausage festival, the One Child thing is still a thing, and the family genes must be passed on somehow or the ancestors will be loving pissed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Plus, the One-Child policy has created a lot of families like this:

4 Grandparents
2 Parents
1 Child

Ancestors be damned, that's 6 people per kid who'd like to retire one day

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What is that from?

Idiocracy

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Naxuz posted:

I've been told that even if gays aren't actively persecuted as in Russia, being gay is uncool because you are supposed to do your part to keep the Family going. Having gay sex really doesn't contribute to that. The pressure can be especially bad if you are a woman, as China is a giant sausage festival, the One Child thing is still a thing, and the family genes must be passed on somehow or the ancestors will be loving pissed.

But at least it's actually legal now and not considered a mental illness. 20 years ago it was illegal and classified as "hooliganism". The description for the crime of hooliganism in the Chinese law books was the vaguest poo poo ever, which literally ended with the words "among other things", so it was used for anything and everything such as gang activities, public brawls, vagrancy, loitering, and any sex crime that isn't rape.

Pictures from a recent visit to a restaurant in China:

Did not order Old Smell Burning Colon, but Griddle Health Bacteria was delicious.

Sea turtles in a tiny pool in lobby, at least they weren't on the menu.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 22, 2014

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

The_Franz posted:

Welcome to a Chinese Buttcoin mine.

The article has a recording of the ambient noise in that place and holy poo poo is it awful. Everyone who works there has to be mostly deaf by now.

Hey man all the dolphins are dead but at least we have 5 billion computers to fabricate useless imaginary bullshit.

• Locked thread