Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Introduction

I shall impersonate a man. Come, enter into my imagination and see him! His name... Edgar Frederick Yost III... a former catcher, no longer young; portly, roundfaced... eyes that burn with the fire of inner vision. Being retired, he has much time for books. He studies them from morn to night and often through the night as well. And all he reads oppresses him, fills him with indignation at large markets' murderous ways toward small markets. And he conceives the strangest project ever imagined.. to become a Championship Manager and sally forth into the World Series to right all wrongs. No longer shall he be plain Edgar Frederick Yost III, but a dauntless Manager known as Don Ned Yost-ay de La Mizzou!

Today's Game

Today in Baseball History
  • 1964 - After just 11 years in Milwaukee, the Braves Board of Directors votes to ask the NL for permission to move to Atlanta. Milwaukee County officials sue to block the move.
  • 1973 - Bert Campaneris and Reggie Jackson hit two-run homers in the third inning as the Oakland A's defeated the New York Mets 5-2 in Game 7 of the World Series and give the A's their second consecutive Series title.
  • 1975 - Carlton Fisk breaks up Game 6 in the 12th Inning with a home run on the Left Field foul pole at Fenway Park to give the Boston Red Sox a 7-6 victory against the Cincinnati Reds, forcing a seventh game.
  • 1976 - The Cincinnati Reds won the World Series in four games with a 7-2 victory over the New York Yankees. Johnny Bench had two home runs for five RBIs. It was the Reds' second straight championship and marked the first time a team had swept the playoffs and World Series.
  • 1980 - The Philadelphia Phillies became World Series champions for the first time in their 98-year history with a 4-1 triumph over the Kansas City Royals in Game 6.
  • 1998 - The New York Yankees closed out their historic season with 3-0 victory at San Diego, sweeping the Padres in four games to win their record 24th World Series championship. The Game 4 victory gave the Yankees 125 wins against 50 losses - for a .714 winning percentage, the best in the majors since their Murderers' Row club of 1927. Their AL-record 114 regular-season victories were the most ever for a champion.
  • 2000 - In the longest World Series game ever played, the Yankees take Game 1 of the Subway Series, thanks to Jose Vizcaino's 12th inning two-out single, defeating the Mets, 4-3 in four hours and fifty-one minutes. The victory surpasses the streak established by the Murderers' Row clubs as the present Bronx Bombers win their 13th consecutive World Series game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Oh god I hope that show features Ramsay cussing out in front of a kid's face.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

euphronius posted:

The royals are The Real

I get it :golfclap:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

That was a pretty good SSB, what is this?

Look where we're playing Game One of the World Series. Don't you know you're in Bizzarro World?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Ok you can stop this music video now.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

William T. Hornaday posted:

This is why People hate Fox Broadcasts

And what do you know, here's another reason!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Coincidentally, a shortened version of this was the original thread title before I got inspired last night.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
We sure Shields is over that Kidney Stone?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Fuuuuuucccccckkkk.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
:stonk: 30 Pitches

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I really wanna kick all these Rob Lowes right in the groin.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Oh Jerry Meals is behind Home Plate? This should be interesting :shepicide:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

>6

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Alan Trammell posted:

Shields actually was the Royals best starter this year. It's not like he's a big lovely man who gets by on reputation.

What Shields had thought was a Kidney stone was actually just the feeling of any and all of his skill being sapped away like in Space Jam.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
THE BLOOPENING BEGINS

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Grittybeard posted:

Now he's out there clogging up the bases though :ohdear:

Perfect chance for him to steal another base.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Popete posted:

Well it's nice to know what side the ump is on.

Jerry Meals is always on the side of Bullshit. The man is Bullshit Incarnate.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

exethan posted:

the gently caress is with these in game interviews

You don't watch a lot of national broadcasts of baseball, I take it?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Oh my god, I could not be more ready for all this loving Jeter poo poo to be over

Well just wait until next year when Jeter is announcing every single Fox game!

This would most likely be a vast improvement

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
:smithicide:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
You have to admit he does resemble Daniel Stern a bit.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Well the good news is that when the Royals get swept it will be in San Francisco.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgzinn24GY

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

With tonight's walk-off the Giants are now in my "Ok if they win" book, but only for the moment. If they start shellacking the Royals they'll be back in my "unlikeable" book.

gently caress THE GIANTS

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

rickiep00h posted:

No More Jerry Meals = no more bullshit explanations on why a ball is a ball.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
The only thing worse than this game right now is these cheapass Utz potato chips. It's no wonder they were only 1.79.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

wow, mustache tattooing dude is the most punchable face I've seen on TV in many a day

Did you not watch the Cardinals-Dodgers Series?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

TheModernAmerican posted:

hey cool a raul ibanez

Watch carefully. I hear they're endangered in the wild.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Mister Perky posted:

6 Umpires, and 0 were paying attention. HUMAN ELEMENT!

Not even they can believe that the Royals are swinging at this crap.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Rand alPaul posted:

This is a Fox broadcast. You just wait for the shameless in-product plug where they pan to the cast of one of their "hit shows" in the audience, and then go to an interview with the CEO of Taco Bell or Geico.

As opposed to TBS where they delay the games or just don't show them thanks to their own incompetence.

Speaking of which I'm fairly surprised we haven't missed an at bat thanks to ads yet on this FOX broadcast.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

DimpledChad posted:

Dear Gerty,

What Is Dead May Never Die.

That is not Dead which can wait every other year.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I like the way this thread has lurched to a stop and it isn't even the seventh inning yet.

Royals can't score and the GDT is a dead ghost town. It's like the Regular Season, but in October!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Ambassador of Funk posted:

We are the tread now!

Can the Giants please be these treads?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Akbar posted:

I honestly feel like poo poo right now. Caught sick and tried to go to bed early last night and instead couldn't fall asleep until 5:30am. I welcome a boring four innings and a nice giants win.

Woah, the same exact thing happened to me. Maybe this is all some shared dream we're having. :tinfoil:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Giant of the Mirrors: Thou art no Championship Manager but a foolish pretender! Look Don Ned Yost-ay! Look into the Mirror of Reality and see how things truly are! What does thou see? A World Champ? Nought but a Fluke streak!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
So how many dingers is Hunter "Closer of the Future" Strickland gonna give up tonight? 1? 6? 5 E10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
This episode of Baseball sucked.

• Locked thread