Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mange Mite posted:

what no south korea is pretty much an oligarchy only the oligarchs are all crazy nationalists instead of the rootless amoral weirdos in the us

like their entire economy is made up of a handful of hereditary megacorps that work closely with the government

The natural conclusion of libertarian utopia is an oligarchy run by the controllers of megacorps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
My grandpa worked with the Sears appliance maintenance/installation crews and eventually became a manager for the department back in the 50's- I can tell you that he started turning in his grave when Sears bought K-Mart and that turning could probably power a small electrical generator at this point

BigBoss posted:

Sears Holdings owns most of the real estate K Mart stores operate in, as opposed to other stores that lease their space from developers. That's what's the company is still alive. It's also why the former sites are vacant. They aren't a landlord, they are retail store, so instead of leasing those spaces out to other businesses, they just sit on them.

All things being equal, I'd rather have K-Mart do well than Walmart. Goddamn I loving hate Walmart.

I could swear one of the super old K-marts around my area turned into a Harley-Davidson store at some point so maybe they're selling some of them off?

Also yeah gently caress Walmart

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BigBoss posted:

The natural conclusion of libertarian utopia is an oligarchy run by the controllers of megacorps.

except their thing is nationalism not individual self-interest, and the government is a huge power base on its own. its a lazy comparison and you know it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dr. Witherbone posted:

The fun thing about K-Mart and Sears is that the current CEO is some kind of Libertarian Wunderkid who is insisting on Randian principles to run the whole place, it's kind of amazing.

I bet this was mentioned earlier in the thread but I'm a lazy piece of poo poo. I'll try to dig up the article but like I said before, lazy piece of poo poo.

E: To my own surprise I bothered to look it up. I remember this one being the most entertaining: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

This guy is one reason SHC is failing horribly. Every store competes against each other for resources and you'll get fired if you don't have the right numbers. They demand you get a credit app for about every 8 transactions and if you don't you get less hours then fired. You have to sign people up for the rewards program and get their emails or else we get in trouble. It's really a terrible policy and only encourages employees to gently caress each other over and do potentially illegal things to keep their jobs.

Edit: All this and you only get paid minimum wage. At the end of the month you get a bit of cash for the credit apps. $2 per app but they only give it to you after you get 5 of them. Sometimes they do $4 app months but if you don't meet the credit goals they'll prevent your store from getting them anymore.

Edit 2: Credit is basically the only thing keeping SHC afloat.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 22, 2014

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's been a while since I've been in K-Mart, but last time I was there it was like playing Alien: Isolation IRL.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mange Mite posted:

except their thing is nationalism not individual self-interest, and the government is a huge power base on its own. its a lazy comparison and you know it.

Well I guess it's only halfway there then

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mange Mite posted:

what no south korea is pretty much an oligarchy only the oligarchs are all crazy nationalists instead of the rootless amoral weirdos in the us

like their entire economy is made up of a handful of hereditary megacorps that work closely with the government

And don't forget decades of government policies designed to promote export orientation. It's pretty much the opposite of libertarianism. It's authoritarian state capitalism lite.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I miss K-Mart, it was a fun place to shop for someone who spergs alot because they had a decent video game section and you didn't have to be around other shoppers. Unfortunately Ohio lost all of it's K-Marts recently.

Other things I miss is the sports card section still having brand new 2007 product on the shelves in 2012 for full price with lots of dust on it, Shaq shoes and the Little Caesars pizza in the back (what a combination!)

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Though in all honesty, even libertarianism tempered by nationalism is better than purestrain "The rich get to rape and pillage everything" libertarian ideals

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

Liquid Chicken posted:

The Delaware area has a department store called Roses. That's one of the saddest stores I've ever been inside. It's like a poorly run indoor white trash yard sale that was organized by the blind. Kmart is a Saks compared to Roses.
The last time I went back to my hometown in Sussex County someone was getting arrested in the Roses parking lot. :smith:

Cowman posted:

This guy is one reason SHC is failing horribly. Every store competes against each other for resources and you'll get fired if you don't have the right numbers. They demand you get a credit app for about every 8 transactions and if you don't you get less hours then fired. You have to sign people up for the rewards program and get their emails or else we get in trouble. It's really a terrible policy and only encourages employees to gently caress each other over and do potentially illegal things to keep their jobs.

Edit: All this and you only get paid minimum wage. At the end of the month you get a bit of cash for the credit apps. $2 per app but they only give it to you after you get 5 of them. Sometimes they do $4 app months but if you don't meet the credit goals they'll prevent your store from getting them anymore.

I worked at Kmart for about a month and a half earlier this year and I couldn't stand having to ask approximately fifty questions for each transaction. It always started with "Can I have your email address?" which naturally angered everyone, so I tried asking in different ways. Nope, the cash lead shut that down because apparently fighting with people is faster than asking "Are you a Shop Your Way member?" Then trying to sell Smart Plans for a sweet 25 cent commission and applying for Sears credit cards and then giving a three-foot long receipt (plus coupons!) with every purchase... couldn't do it, especially not for $7.25 an hour. What a lovely company.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

im gay posted:

What happens to the majority of Sears and KMart buildings? Demolition?

The Kmart in my hometown was torn down after decades of being a poo poo hole and years of being vacant. Now the lot is little strip mall and an LA Fitness and it no longer looks like a third world country.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Yaldabaoth posted:

Though in all honesty, even libertarianism tempered by nationalism is better than purestrain "The rich get to rape and pillage everything" libertarian ideals

i like how you refuse to admit that you were wrong and dont know anythign about the subject.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

actually, that's already starting

http://business.time.com/2013/04/09/the-trouble-lurking-on-walmarts-empty-shelves/

I worked for a contractor for walmart down in bentonville and this is a real thing. towards the end i would sigh and go to walmart like maybe once a month to get random poo poo at a weird hour, and by the time i moved away this summer i would go there for 10 things and only be able to buy 7. and we're talking poo poo like simply orange or avocados, cat litter, stuff like that.

they run longer stocking hours which is why you have higher chances of showing up when The Pallet Posse is out slamming poo poo around, and i predict that within five years walmart will be ~50% just open floor space where they wheel out a pallet of 32 oz ranch dressing 3-packs and just razorblade the packing materials off and let you pull poo poo off the pallet

I whipped this gif up real quick to represent your post's prediction:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cowman posted:

You work there? I want to know more about that in-house social networking platform that everyone was apparently forced to participate in because it sounds bugfuck insane.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
it would be cool if a company tried having an anonymous forum for employees so they could talk poo poo about their bosses' fuckups that would normally be missed

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Mange Mite posted:

i like how you refuse to admit that you were wrong and dont know anythign about the subject.

I said "Well then I guess they're only halfway there" what more do you want?

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
This is a great read on the tragic death of K-Mart including photos and descriptions of why they are going to hell in a handbasket. I stopped at Sears locally yesterday to look for jeans and yeah, they are doing no better at all, it's incredibly depressing:

http://beluscapitaladvisors.com/2013/11/04/tragic-death-kmart-happening-right-front-eyes/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I used to go hang out in the K-Mart parking lot and talk to girls on my cell phone to get some privacy around y2k. I think it may have been closed at the time, it sat there pretty well delapitating, and vacant for a long time. Now according to Google Maps, it's a Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bob Loblaw posted:

This is a great read on the tragic death of K-Mart including photos and descriptions of why they are going to hell in a handbasket. I stopped at Sears locally yesterday to look for jeans and yeah, they are doing no better at all, it's incredibly depressing:

http://beluscapitaladvisors.com/2013/11/04/tragic-death-kmart-happening-right-front-eyes/

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW
What does the "K" stand for in K-Mart?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Sears is the company that at some point pit all their department against each other in the 2000s libertarian style. Like they didn't have enough to fight off Wal-Mart, sears was fighting itself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Fleegman posted:

What does the "K" stand for in K-Mart?

S.S. Kresge

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Liquid Chicken posted:

The Delaware area has a department store called Roses. That's one of the saddest stores I've ever been inside. It's like a poorly run indoor white trash yard sale that was organized by the blind. Kmart is a Saks compared to Roses.

I do have to say I hate trying to shop at Kmart. Like Sears, their checkout system is outdated and slow as poo poo.

roses is something else. it's part of a company called variety wholesalers which owns several chains that are like the shittiest k-mart imaginable crossed with the dollar store and big lots. the guy who owns it is a total libertarian nutjob like the guy who runs sears/kmart except he also runs a bunch of lobbying groups and think tanks to buy off government

they specifically target low-income and largely black areas to put stores so they can siphon off ssi/disability checks

http://www.vwstores.com/real-estate/

quote:

Site Criteria

We look primarily for locations in second and third generation shopping centers in under-served markets. In addition, we will consider free-standing sites, and store front locations in large urban cities. Site criteria include:Grocery anchored shopping center preferred.
Minimum population of 2,500 within 1 mile of the site.
Median household income of $45,000 or less.

looks like they took away the black part lol

this is what their site requirements used to be

https://web.archive.org/web/20110408014156/http://www.vwstores.com/real-estate/

quote:

Site Criteria

We look primarily for locations in second and third generation shopping centers. In addition, we will consider free-standing sites, and store front locations in large urban cities. Site criteria include:Grocery anchored shopping center preferred.
Minimum population of 2,500 within 1 mile of the site.
Minimum 25% African-American population within 5 miles.
Median household income of $40,000 or less.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
When literal dollar stores are held in higher regard than you ya got a serious problem there

I was about to make some kind of dig about Aldi but ya know what? Aldis are actually alright stores.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Akin to Roses, if you're ever down south check out a Magic Mart for an even more filthy and depressing trip through time to the early 90s.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Yaldabaoth posted:

I said "Well then I guess they're only halfway there" what more do you want?

Don't worry about it. Mighty Mite is really dumb and has no idea how systems progress.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

When literal dollar stores are held in higher regard than you ya got a serious problem there

I was about to make some kind of dig about Aldi but ya know what? Aldis are actually alright stores.

Aldi is surprising clean for only having 2 people working there.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

It's been a few years since I set foot in a K-Mart, but it was kind of a novelty, like stepping into an alternate universe where it was still the 20th century. The electronic section had some PS1 games, a VHS bin and a few VCRs still on display and the rest of the store kind of felt like time stopped in 1988 since there was just random stuff that elicited a "woah, haven't seen this in a while" reaction. The building itself was basically the only sign of life left in an area between an abandoned mall and a Toys-R-Us that had long since closed down.

Plus it didn't have that god-awful stink of fast food and despair that Walmart does.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
The K-Mart here closed in July. The place really did look like you stepped into a time warp to the 90s (and it's sad but reassuring to see other people come to the same conclusion independently), except with unsold copies of DJ Hero and FlingSmash taking up the shelves. Nothing as old as PS1 or SNES or whatever at this one, but when they were closing they were selling off all their store shelves, and those old-rear end heavy metal office desks and stools from the back. Also I found a coupon on something that expired in 2012.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Monkey Fracas posted:

My grandpa worked with the Sears appliance maintenance/installation crews and eventually became a manager for the department back in the 50's- I can tell you that he started turning in his grave when Sears bought K-Mart and that turning could probably power a small electrical generator at this point

I could swear one of the super old K-marts around my area turned into a Harley-Davidson store at some point so maybe they're selling some of them off?

Also yeah gently caress Walmart

Kmart bought Sears, not the other way around.

SHC has a beautiful corporate campus...unless you're there during a light drizzle and have to dodge dozens of buckets in the main area, catching leaks from the glass roof.

Also five bucks says Eddie Lampert is reading this thread right now.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've never used Pebble to be honest. It's one of those weird paradoxical things where the only way you can access it is on the Sears Intranet and you can only access that while at a Sears and they get mad at you if you do it while off the clock. When I'm on the clock at Sears I'm working and don't have time to gently caress around with it. You can post questions and poo poo on it and supposedly get an answer but it's really mostly just circlejerking over how awesome working at Sears is. It's also really loving dead.

Death Bear posted:

I worked at Kmart for about a month and a half earlier this year and I couldn't stand having to ask approximately fifty questions for each transaction. It always started with "Can I have your email address?" which naturally angered everyone, so I tried asking in different ways. Nope, the cash lead shut that down because apparently fighting with people is faster than asking "Are you a Shop Your Way member?" Then trying to sell Smart Plans for a sweet 25 cent commission and applying for Sears credit cards and then giving a three-foot long receipt (plus coupons!) with every purchase... couldn't do it, especially not for $7.25 an hour. What a lovely company.

The receipts are the loving worst. On average, a transaction with a small handful of items will print out a foot long receipt plus 4 coupons that are pretty much useless. Every coupon is ridiculously convoluted with what it works on. There's this coupon that I still don't understand. It says $5 off $25 on Shoes For The Family. This coupon has never worked on any shoe. Kid's shoes, women's shoes, men's shoes, work shoes, house shoes and all that, none of them qualify. There's also the loving annoying case of "Get $10 off $50 purchase" or something and the thing is $49.99. It doesn't work on that item unless I override the price and make it $50 even. I tell the customers this and they of course agree with the penny increase then roll their eyes at how loving stupid the system is.

They also do system updates for the registers but they're always loving terrible. Initially it took about a minute to boot up a register in the morning but now thanks to this latest update it's more like 5+ minutes and it spits out a bunch of receipt paper in the process. Everything is slower and slower. The online training also has this thing where you have to listen to this voice slowly read the page and you can't continue or move ahead until it's done reading. A thing that would probably take at most 5 minutes is elongated to half an hour just because the program reads so loving slow. The main theme of Sears is "Slower, slower, slower!"

Edit: I've worked at this Sears for a little over a year and my coworkers are cool and bosses are great. Sears corporate is a clusterfuck of incompetence. I just remembered a terrible thing that happened to my coworker.

Sears has this leasing program. Woman applied for a credit card and was approved for a lease so she went to lease a tractor or something. Coworker is on commission and so selling this tractor will bring in some decent money for her. Woman has a receipt with a leasing code on it saying she's approved for a lease up to more than the cost of the tractor. She tries to use this leasing to get the tractor and it doesn't work. Coworker calls the leasing people and spends like 20+ minutes saying over and over that this woman was approved here's the approval code why can't she use the leasing program to get this tractor? Turns out the woman wasn't approved even though she got an approval code and everything just a while ago. The woman was annoyed but she came back with like a cash order or something and bought the tractor the next day.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 22, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

psyopmonkey posted:

Clearly you support target. Your avatar says it all. :colbert:

lol!

Actually was a fan of a driver with K Mart sponsorship growing up.

Oddly enough the Target Team was kind of a plucky upstart at first, and generally was getting beat by the K-Mart car until 1996. Then, well, like their store they proudly advertise, began to gain respect.

(K-Mart stopped sponsoring racing in 2001, had been doing it since 1988. Target? Started in 1990, To this day still does it)

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
K-Mart does suck, but not as much as Petters at the Mall of America. Literally piles of clothes just sitting on the floor.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'll toss in another sad relic of the past.

You know who I'm shocked is still in business around my area?

Friendly's.

Like and it's not because their Ice Cream is bad, because I had it recently, and it was quite good. Just every single thing there looks like it's 1986 inside.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Used to buy cocaine in a kmart parking lot in college,good times

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowman posted:

The receipts are the loving worst. On average, a transaction with a small handful of items will print out a foot long receipt plus 4 coupons that are pretty much useless.

The last time I bought anything at Sears was November 2007 because I had a gift card and they had the first Assassin's Creed on sale. I remember that because I bought just that one item and was laughing while the register printed a 6 foot long receipt. The employees were joking that "we kill a tree with every purchase".

The cost of all of that wasted paper had to add up when you consider all of the stores doing that for every little purchase.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I still occasionally buy hand tools at Sears. However sad and depressing the rest of the store/company is, Craftsman does make some pretty decent tools for the price.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Any K-Mart I've been to in the past decade has had the anti-theft alarm blaring for every other customer, to the point where the staff just ignores it and tells people to continue out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
i worked at kmart for a few months in 2004 and there was a regular customer everyone called the pirate lady (she had an eye patch and smelled like if you used a never-washed dog blanket as an ashtray) who would come in once a month and buy a shopping cart full of home enema kits.

that place was really soul crushing back then but its even worse now because there was a couple guys from my high school class who got hired the same time as me and they both still work there.

• Locked thread