Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So my wife tells me my family needs gift ideas for my upcoming birthday. I told her I don't really need anything but was essentially told that like it or not I'm getting something so I might as well try to get something I'll like.

I don't know what I want as most things on my "list" are prohibitively expensive (and thus why I don't have them) or non-tangible.

So if you know of a cool gift you recently received that is <200 American bux and worth recommending, post it here.

Handmade gifts are cool (and even preferred) but those are very dependent on skill so I'm trying to make this a little more universal in scope.

PS I totally get this is a non-problem but hey maybe some good will come of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
DO you have a multitool? They are pretty handy to have around. I use mine to open coconuts and perform small repairs on things around the house. I have a Leatherman but there are probably other, better ones.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

TheReverend posted:

So my wife tells me my family needs gift ideas for my upcoming birthday. I told her I don't really need anything but was essentially told that like it or not I'm getting something so I might as well try to get something I'll like.

I don't know what I want as most things on my "list" are prohibitively expensive (and thus why I don't have them) or non-tangible.

So if you know of a cool gift you recently received that is <200 American bux and worth recommending, post it here.

Handmade gifts are cool (and even preferred) but those are very dependent on skill so I'm trying to make this a little more universal in scope.

PS I totally get this is a non-problem but hey maybe some good will come of it.

i always just ask for booze more expensive than i would normally waste money on.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Ask for some Visa / Mastercard / American Express prepaid gift card. Buy your gas and groceries with it. Wonder why you have more money at the end of the week.

Edit: Wow, I'm borring.

Sexual Aluminum has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Oct 29, 2014

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
If you like to cook you can ask for a fancy Japanese knife as per this thread, scroll down for photos:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557177

Or maybe a watch:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520271

Or maybe you can ask for a shaving brush/cream/shaving bowl combo and try lathering your face up the old school way, like your grandpa used to do:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523526

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Power tools. You always want a reciprocating saw handy, so you should ask for power tools.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Get some Gallium.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Amazon gift cards.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gift cards are the worst gifts. If you're giving one it means "I don't know you well enough to get you a gift and/or I really didn't want to put any thought into it, but giving cash seems crass." If you're asking for them you're basically saying "I don't trust you to get me anything I'd actually like, but asking for cash would seem crass."

They're not entirely without their uses (for example, businesses giving them out as rewards or prizes is perfectly reasonable), but they really are basically just money, only less useful.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Tiggum posted:

Gift cards are the worst gifts.

I like getting gift cards :(

Gift cards do work as gifts in certain situations. Some people's tastes can be so random it's hard to buy something you're sure someone will like, no matter how well you know them. For example, I'd prefer someone get me a gift card for a book store rather than an actual book, since I usually don't know what kind of book I want to read until I actually go looking for one.

This goes double for clothes, even if one knows my size. I'd much rather pick something out myself, and gift cards make it easy to do that.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Do you like legos? Lego has a great architecture series for adults, and the best part is that after you make it you can display it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

OilSlick posted:

I like getting gift cards :(

Gift cards do work as gifts in certain situations. Some people's tastes can be so random it's hard to buy something you're sure someone will like, no matter how well you know them. For example, I'd prefer someone get me a gift card for a book store rather than an actual book, since I usually don't know what kind of book I want to read until I actually go looking for one.

This goes double for clothes, even if one knows my size. I'd much rather pick something out myself, and gift cards make it easy to do that.

My in-laws give me a £20 Boots (like CVS for American goons) card for Christmas every year. It's magical watching my husband and his family open up their awesome gifts to one another, while I sit clutching my Boots voucher. They say they don't know what to get me; they ask my husband, and he has no idea, either. I'd love book vouchers, but it's apparently tacky in his family to say, 'Hey, fair enough if you don't know what to give me, but a book voucher would be great!'

I give them nice things, otherwise apparently they'd be cross. :argh:

I am that person who likes gift soaps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
The best gift is a hug.

• Locked thread