Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Also, what's to stop town with useful power roles from lying about those as well? There probably isn't a town doctor, because it's a useless role for us, and with a closed setup, there's no knowing what roles the town players have, aside from the NK we all get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I love not knowing the perfect way to organize this.

Let's say all the town players make an excellent read on a scum. That scum dies, the others survive, town loses.

Trying to organize who kills who is easily the worst strategy because it only takes one scum assigned to a scum to ruin it.

All hail the God of Chaos.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
yeah this game looks like purestrain mafia and I am super excited to see where things go over the next few days.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I am way overthinking everything and it's beautiful and invigorating.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I'm not convinced at all that claiming is a good idea, even if the game is only one day/night it seems likely there are still roles that could be negated if they were publicly known. If everyone else decides to do it I will, but I'm against it.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I think the only reason for anyone to claim is if we agree on a plan of action and someone is holding a night action that they know breaks it. They could probably soft-claim though.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Although with the meta of some of the players in this game, I doubt I'd believe them if they came out with "This won't work. Just trust me."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
##vote Somber

As I mentioned before, I don't trust the most talkative in any Mafia. I don't feel bad about voting three posts in because we're basically voting to publicly cop someone and I'm okay with everyone knowing where I sit here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really don't think planning things so much is a good idea. For starters, scum could easily be leading the planning and taking us in a direction they know they can abuse. The other is that it sounds like scum have PRs to prevent a system break so if they know what we're going to do they can easily plan accordingly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also, I think we're better served using our time to hunt scum. So far Somber's attempt to take the lead is pinging my scumdar based on what I said in my last post and I have a gut read on Cpig.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Calling it now. At least 5 shots on Somber.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

I think we should all shoot ourselves. D o n e

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

winvirus posted:

I think we should all shoot ourselves. D o n e

Technically we'd win if everyone actually did that.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

The scum won't, though, which is the problem.

Okay how about this. Everyone but one of the scum shoot yourselves, and instead the scum shoots me, and let me squarely decide the fate of this town. I think that's a fair proposal

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

winvirus posted:

The scum won't, though, which is the problem.

Okay how about this. Everyone but one of the scum shoot yourselves, and instead the scum shoots me, and let me squarely decide the fate of this town. I think that's a fair proposal

Well obviously scum won't shoot themselves. Barring investigations landing the best thing I can think of doing is just shooting whoever.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Let's say everyone shoots the name cut player on the player list of the OP. Can anyone do the math on the odds two scum are next to each other.

Do we even know how many scum there are? And I suppose this plan would be ruined by a role blocking scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Met posted:

I love not knowing the perfect way to organize this.

Let's say all the town players make an excellent read on a scum. That scum dies, the others survive, town loses.

Trying to organize who kills who is easily the worst strategy because it only takes one scum assigned to a scum to ruin it.

All hail the God of Chaos.

That's dumb as hell.

In a regular mafia game that would be equivalent to saying "Let's say all the town players correctly lynch scum three days in a row."

Trying to organize and coordinate who kills who is the only strategy. It is not 100% optimal but it was already discussed at length. Everyone who is saying that it's better to let the spirits of the wind guide them isn't using any actual reasoning other than "What if it's bad?"

If we're each going to just do whatever we want there's no possible way we win. We might as well turbo me right now so at least people aren't wasting their shots on me for being active. I've already claimed my role.

EXAKT Science posted:

Somber can you explain your reasoning here?

Certainly. We only have one day to figure this game out. I believe that getting all the information out in the open is much more beneficial to us rather than scum since it doesn't seem like there are a lot of ways to hurt us with it, it's not like we need to protect the cop.

I thought that no one could possibly be dumb enough to say we should go into tonight without a plan but I guess I'm wrong, unless more than half the game is scum. ##unvote

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

From my own role, I have a feeling a bunch of roles affect how mans get shot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

apostateCourier posted:

From my own role, I have a feeling a bunch of roles affect how mans get shot.

This is a good reason why coordination would work against us. I know that sounds bad on first glance, but it's really the best option to not coordinate. Our best bet is for the most townies reading the game well enough to pick out scum on their own.

My vote for Somber stands. I think finding out his alignment will save blind shots.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Met posted:

This is a good reason why coordination would work against us. I know that sounds bad on first glance, but it's really the best option to not coordinate. Our best bet is for the most townies reading the game well enough to pick out scum on their own.

My vote for Somber stands. I think finding out his alignment will save blind shots.

So your argument against coordination is setup speculation?

You're saying that our best bet to succeed is to not fail. I'm still not convinced you read the words I wrote.

Everyone has a list of their five scummiest players. From there, we average it out until we have the 5 overall scummiest players. Then we set up a system like this.

Player #1 - Targeted by players 2, 3, and 4.

Player #2 - Targeted by players 1, 5, and 6.

Player #3 - Targeted by players 7, 8, and 9.

Player #4 - Targeted by players 10, 11, and 12.

Player #5 - Targeted players 13 and 14.

Alternatively, 13 and 14 could be free agents.

Why three players targeting each player?

Assuming there is some role on the scum team that could subvert a town kill, there could be the following problem if we used teams of two to cast a wider net.

Player #1 is scum. Players 2 and 3 are supposed to shoot Player 1. However, Player 3 is scum, and Player 1 has a roleblock ability. Player 1 roleblocks Player 2, Player 3 targets someone else, and scum win the game.

Why Coordinating is Important

We will lose the game without it. Seriously. Even guessing right could be dangerous, if too many people shoot the same person. We have to talk about who we're going to kill.

Why Massclaiming is the Right Move

All the scum have to do is survive. We have to essentially coordinate a game's worth of kills with almost no information. We are in lynch-lose right now.

Players who are town

Exakt
EP
Mills
Probably Met

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why are Those three probably town?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Met posted:

Why are Those three probably town?

Mostly gut. I can usually read Mills and EP well, you know EP is scum if he posts eight paragraphs of lorum ipsum and Mills is scum if he's wrong. I thought about Exakt and he seems too earnest and inquisitive to be scum. Scum are just going to lay low today, there's very little reason for them to post with any frequency or serious thought. If even one flies under the radar, they win.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think having one of the scummiest players being targeted by two of the other scummy players is pee though
If we're as right as we're hoping we are we'll be setting ourselves up to fail

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also stop dismissing criticism as "just setup spec" when we were literally told it was setup so it would be difficult to break like that

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MildManeredManikin posted:

I think having one of the scummiest players being targeted by two of the other scummy players is pee though
If we're as right as we're hoping we are we'll be setting ourselves up to fail

Then don't do that. Split up scummy players.

MildManeredManikin posted:

Also stop dismissing criticism as "just setup spec" when we were literally told it was setup so it would be difficult to break like that

There's no actual thought put into it beyond what people can see in their own role. It's seriously just "What if?" Yeah, it's possible this could be harmful to the town, but I fail to see how it's possible to win with no plan.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What if we do something where each player will be given two people they can shoot and they have to choose between them?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That would spread the kills out while giving enough uncertainty to interfere with scum power roles.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
That's a good suggestion. I think we still encounter some of the same basic problems as with the other strategies but that might just be the nature of the beast. I'm thinking about what that would look like.

So,

1. Tremendous Taste Kills Met or Manikin
2. Met kills Manikin or Rarity
3. MildManeredManikin Kills Rarity or AC etc?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That might work unless scum have two ways to disrupt a kill. Disrupt the two guys who could potentially target a scum and they win. But that's actually my favorite plan so far other than Night of Chaos.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We could still pick 5 scummy people or something if you wanted to pile the killing power up more.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I like the idea of everyone choosing two possible targets. That plays really well with my other abilities

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
The biggest problem I see with that plan is that it also fails if we have one scum targeting the two others, or two scum each targeting the remaining scum. I still think it's the best option presented so far, but being aware of potential failings is important. I think that coordinating daytime power roles as best as we can is going to be key as well. We don't know how many cops we have, but it probably isn't more than one, as that would be pretty heavily in town's favor, unless there's a godfather or something similar.

I'm also curious what sort of information can be gleaned from our flavor, and if there are any common themes. There may actually be a third-party that's flavored as Quentin Tarantino himself who would actually win if everybody dies. Of course, that may have been a plush joke, but it's certainly something to consider.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

EXAKT Science posted:

The biggest problem I see with that plan is that it also fails if we have one scum targeting the two others, or two scum each targeting the remaining scum. I still think it's the best option presented so far, but being aware of potential failings is important. I think that coordinating daytime power roles as best as we can is going to be key as well. We don't know how many cops we have, but it probably isn't more than one, as that would be pretty heavily in town's favor, unless there's a godfather or something similar.

I'm also curious what sort of information can be gleaned from our flavor, and if there are any common themes. There may actually be a third-party that's flavored as Quentin Tarantino himself who would actually win if everybody dies. Of course, that may have been a plush joke, but it's certainly something to consider.

mafia edit: that should be "pmush joke." Stupid phoneposting autocorrect :v:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Overlapping fields of fire should deal with that problem.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EXAKT Science posted:

Flavor is very very rarely a good way to find scum and I don't think it'll provide any real benefit, but it can't hurt.

As I said, I'm Garrus from Mass Effect. I'm a sniper with a kill that can't be redirected. I think Pinterest claimed Samus.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

For giggles, I'm Max Payne.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I'm guessing there are probably three scum, plus at least one third party player. With our info-lynch, and assuming we have a cop, we have a decent chance of outing at least one of them, so long as we're smart.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

EXAKT Science posted:

I'm guessing there are probably three scum, plus at least one third party player. With our info-lynch, and assuming we have a cop, we have a decent chance of outing at least one of them, so long as we're smart.

3p doesn't make much sense to me in a game like this. Any reason you're considering the possibility?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
3p would be crazy difficult to win with unless it's something like "You win if all town and scum players are dead on Day 2".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

"Quentin Tarantino" would be a reasonable third party.

• Locked thread