Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

battlefield is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Luvcow posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Cod-Biography-Fish-Changed-World/dp/0140275010

Read this book for everything you need to know about Cod

Great read, also Salt

i read this guys book about the basque and he goes into constant derails about food. can't shhake his past

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Davincie posted:

i read this guys book about the basque and he goes into constant derails about food. can't shhake his past

Makes for good short reads. Salt and Cod were great books to pick up, read 10-20 pages and then put down for a while. I think I read the first half of Salt in small patches while taking craps in college.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
real cod recipe talk:

You can get boxes of Salted Cod and you soak that for a while then mix it with leftover mash potatoes and make patties then pan fry them and eat them with some over easy eggs for breakfast mixing in all those egg juices on your cod cake yes please.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

as a filthy descendent of norske rjeindeer-fjuckers i really like eating salted fish

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
pretty much every culture has a recipe for salt cod, and its funny how similar many are

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

pretty much every culture has a recipe for salt cod, and its funny how similar many are
Afghani style salted cod please waiter!

jejeje
Dec 25, 2004
fetus
Best cod meal:

- Deep fried breaded cod
- Deep fried chips
- gravy
- dressing (bread crumbs, onion and savory)
- green peas

Also a pineapple crush.

Cod cheeks aren't too bad but the tongues have a really disturbing texture.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
im not really following the new one but my friend is getting it for the fourth playstation and we're gonna play it and have a good time most likely :)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

as a filthy descendent of norske rjeindeer-fjuckers i really like eating salted fish

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Kinda oily. Not bad, I'll still enjoy it, but not as good as Halibut or Haddock.

Halibut #1.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Theglavwen posted:

Kinda oily. Not bad, I'll still enjoy it, but not as good as Halibut or Haddock.

Halibut #1.

yet another neglecter of the majestic swordfish.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ashgromnies posted:

Is there a difference between "whitefish" and "cod"? Or is "whitefish" a generic term?
Whitefish is any fish that digests fat in the liver instead of the stomach iirc.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Over There posted:

It's a pretty basic fish. Pretty tasteless without a good seasoning.

have you ever considered that your daily use of things like butter, cream and seasoning is why something full of fat and protein somehow tastes like nothing to you now?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Not as good as herring or salmon but it's up there

Top fish
1. Salmon
2. Perch
3. Herring

Cod makes top five, maybe

Halibut you rear end in a top hat.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Fandyien posted:

cod is why we have north america

this guy knows what he's talking about

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
cod tongue is pretty tasty

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

i really enjoyed cod4 multiplayer, all the ones after that were pretty lovely

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008
REAL TOP 3 HERE:
1. Sole
2. Monkfish
3. Trout

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008
Cod is pretty tasty too. Nice and flaky. Pan seared, eat it with some brown butter and capers. No need for all that deep-fried battered bullshit.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

cod is good baked with lemongrass, garlic and onions

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish and chips places used to be always halibut, but most have added rockfish and a couple others. if the halibut is $5 the other fish will be $4 and the rockfish $3. I find the rockfish has a little more flavour but the portions are generally a tiny bit smaller, but they that's saving a lot of money!

Still, they are all bland white fish. Sushi fish is where its at. Give me Tuna, give me salmon, give me give me fish with favour so amazing cooking them would just ruin it.

Smoked salmon is get out of down delicious, just don't over do it and over sauce it, let the smoke do the talking and the salmon will talk back and it will be a very tasty conversation.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
its funny how all cod has parasites so you have to deep freeze it for it to be edible at all

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Batterfried for cod.

Now i am hungry.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i was so good at killhouse id get banned for cheating. i knew every spawn point through the walls in reference to any point of hte map I happened to be on. id hear them spawn and could figure which point it had to be at and was mostly right. people would leave servers i joined if i wasnt banned (which was the 24/7 servers where mods actually watched you for real, id be 'cleared'). when it was packed id get 100-200 kills before the normal timer was over

suck on it

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
im gay

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
do jews eat cod? jews to the gas

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Alas Boobylon posted:

do jews eat cod? jews to the gas

Only if it's mid afternoon, but it depends on how far a child's shadow stretches out.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

this thread is for dirty nasty satly fish loving vikings

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Ummm here is a real list for you scrublords

1. Skate
2. Black cod (not cod)
3. Orange roughy
4. Yellowfin tuna
5. Orange fish (Salmon, char, trout, all the same pretty much)
6. Cod

That's pretty good OP, 6th out of several hundred fish I've had

Also 5/6 of my list is endangered lmao and you shouldn't eat them

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

king salmon posted:

its funny how all cod has parasites so you have to deep freeze it for it to be edible at all

Or you could just buy it from a decent source and pull out a pair of tweezers ffs

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Kasumeat posted:

Or you could just buy it from a decent source and pull out a pair of tweezers ffs

Boy howdy I do sure love picking parasites out of my uncooked food like some sort of animal.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
seriouspost:

This is top tier fish for fish and chips: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyrsites

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
cod is delicious but smoked haddock is my favourite

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Pan-fried cod with scrunchions (little bits of fried pork) is the best.

Thank you for reading.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Cod is garbage

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Top Fish:

• 1: Escolar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Actually for the most part cooked fish is nasty as hell. My favorite is thick pieces of raw olive flounder. So motherfucking good.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

Wikipedia posted:

Escolar's wax ester content can cause keriorrhea (Greek: flow of wax), gempylotoxism or gempylid fish poisoning.[4] Symptoms range from stomach cramps to rapid loose bowel movements, occurring 30 minutes to 36 hours following consumption.[5] This condition may also be referred to as steatorrhea.

Two known ways to reduce the likelihood of escolar-induced keriorrhea are to limit portions to six ounces or less[6] and to consume portions close to the tail, which typically have a lower wax ester content. Reports conflict on whether deep skinning, freezing or grilling will reduce the likelihood of keriorrhea.

Truly the fish for discerning gibbis posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I mean it's okay but red meat fish is way better

it's acceptable when drunk so i guess it has that going for it

Calvin Johnson Jr. fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 23, 2014

• Locked thread