Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Inou Battle is an anime about a bunch of kids who suddenly get super powers, and then have nothing to use them for. It's based on a light novel series, and the animation is being produced by Studio Trigger, known for Inferno Cop and Turning Girls. This is their first non-original production.
It also has some harem tendencies, with one guy and a lot of girls, but by episode 3 it hasn't been too bad and there aren't signs of it taking a romance direction.

The entire thing is set in the literature club of a high school.

Watch it on
Look for new episodes every Monday.

Characters

Kanzaki Tomoyo is wielder of the power of Closed Clock, allowing her to stop time, as well as slow it down and speed it up. However she can't turn it back. Might have some chuuni tendencies.
Voiced by Yamazaki Haruka, and this might actually be her first major role.

Kushikawa Hatoko controls the Over Element, summoning and manipulating the five elements of Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and Light. Seems to be a bit of an airhead.
Voiced by Hayami Saori, known for her lead role as Saki in Eden of the East, as well as Wako in Star Driver and several more.

Takanashi Sayumi oversees the Route of Origin, allowing her to instantly restore anything to their original state. This makes her a very powerful healer. Club president, and overall a serious person.
Voiced by Taneda Risa, playing lead role Saki in From the New World, as well as Yukina in Strike the Blood and Mirai in Beyond the Boundary, and a couple more.

Himeki Chifuyu has the power of World Create, truly what springs to mind by the term "God of Creation". A side power of hers seems to be creating Aperture Science-style portals. She is a 4th grader who for unknown reasons has been frequenting the literature club for a long time.
Voiced by Yamashita Nanami, whose only other significant role so far has been possibly-eponymous Nanami in Wake Up Girls.

Andou Jurai seems to prefer his name written as "Andou July", and is a somewhat self-aware chuuni, who loves to role play dumb situations. He is the true Dark Flame Master, having acquired Dark And Dark, the power to summon a dark flame with a very lukewarm temperature and no particular uses at all.
Voiced by Okamoto Nobuhiko, who seems to have gotten a serious downgrade in power level since playing Accelerator in the Index and Railgun series. Also played Mikorin in Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, and then a whole load of minor roles.

Also featuring...

Kudou Mirei, the student council president. She also happens to be granted a super power, but later than the literature club members. Might actually be a lonely person just looking for friends.
Voiced by Fukuhara Kaori, who has experience dealing with the original Dark Flame Master as Togashi Kuzuha in Love, Chuunibyou and Other Delusions.

Mysterious Guy hanging from a tree. Might know what is really going on.

Staff

Honestly, not very many interesting names on the list, despite this being Trigger.

Most prominent is probably Ootsuka Masahiko, working as chief director and handling series composition. He has previously worked as assistant director on the Ghibli film Whisper of the Heart, and Gainax TV series Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking. Under Gainax he also directed the fantasy-romance series Petite Princess Yucie.

The music is produced by Elements Garden, which I generally associate with solid although perhaps not outstanding music.

Finally, the sound direction is handled by Watanabe Jun, who started as sound director more than 25 years ago. I just don't have any of the productions he's listed on to highlight for their sound.

Now, if you're confused about the name of this series, no wonder. The Japanese title transcribed is Inou batoru wa nihicjoukei no naka de, and the Japanese gives it the Engrish title of Inou Battle Within Everyday Life. Meanwhile Crunchyroll takes to call it When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace. A more straight translation might be Super Power Battles are Part of Daily Life. These are all too long, so Inou Battle it is.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I was gonna make this thread but ep 2 was poo poo. Haven't peeped ep 3 yet.

Basically this anim reminds me of seitokai no ichizon but with superpowers.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Namtab posted:

Basically this anim reminds me of seitokai no ichizon but with superpowers.

I think the same thing and boy is it glorious :allears:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Seitokai was repetitive poo poo from the first episode, this seems to, well, not be as repetitive... Like I said in the Fall thread, TRIGGER's animation is what's keeping me. Also, the last segment of ep3 was legit funny.

nielsm posted:

the animation is being produced by Studio Trigger, known for Inferno Cop and Turning Girls.
:livintrope:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I started watching this because Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia were really good. It isn't really what I was expecting the show to be but it seems alright so far. I'll keep watching, for now.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
It's pretty much what I expected it to be, which is the same old tropey anime stuff. Trigger is what's keeping me on this show, but I'll admit that it's harmless enough. That and Trigger makes it fun with those little visual gags here and there.

Plus I love Andou's power in that it's seemingly worthless and all he does is treat it like his waifu.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

Mikorin ... other minor roles.
Does not compute

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Inou Battle still feels most like C3-bu + Chu2. Both two things I very much enjoyed, so this is a nice relaxing and enjoyable show for me.

Still feel kind of bad for Grateful Lover though. :unsmith:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I like this show a lot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
We need a gif of Mirei happily zipping away down the hallway in episode 2.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

Does not compute

That was a major mistake and it has been corrected.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I'd like to see how Mirei discovered her power.
We saw how Andou first found his power and it's easy to imagine the rest of the club discovering their powers at the same time, but did Mirei just wake up one morning and suddenly thought "I feel like if there were people with super powers I could totally steal their power".

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I'd like to see how Mirei discovered her power.
We saw how Andou first found his power and it's easy to imagine the rest of the club discovering their powers at the same time, but did Mirei just wake up one morning and suddenly thought "I feel like if there were people with super powers I could totally steal their power".

In the flashback it showed her hands glowing, which explains how she knew she had a superpower but not how she knew what it did. Maybe Hajime told her in his note? Doesn't explain how Hajime knew, but he knew about Dark and Dark somehow.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

In the flashback it showed her hands glowing, which explains how she knew she had a superpower but not how she knew what it did. Maybe Hajime told her in his note? Doesn't explain how Hajime knew, but he knew about Dark and Dark somehow.

He seems to be the mysterious guy hanging upside down at the end of the first episode, commenting how everything is going according to plan. At least the hair matches. Also that phone conversation he has in the restaurant.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Meh. It didn't pass the three episode test for me.

Perhaps if Andou somehow becomes useful I'll try a couple more episodes if I'm ever really bored.

I guess I'm just not the target market for these kinds of "wacky school council" stories.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I am enjoying the show but not as much as some other things I've been watching this season. It's missing that real...off the wall type feeling you get with a lot of other Trigger stuff. Also ep 3 seemed to be the girls having the same conversation of mostly, "Well Andou is a dork, but he's a really good guy actually." Hoping it picks up a little bit from there.

Granted I say it's missing the "off the wall" feeling and the premise of the show is "Well we have super powers now but...nothing amazing is happening." but I assumed there would be a lot more wackiness.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eh, the way that they just casually use their super powers to make life easier is cool. If there was anything else that was decent on a Monday though, I would've dropped this so quickly it isn't funny.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I can't handle that Andou is useless. I would be perfectly fine with "power that is not as impressive", but as-is that entire character forces me away from the show with how he is a literal waste of space.

:siren: LN spoilers apparently even in the books nothing happens with him, so there's absolutely no reason to hope it improves

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Episode 4 was...uncomfortable.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Goddamn Andou, what made you think that was a good idea?

The ending was cute though.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 28, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Emalde posted:

I can't handle that Andou is useless. I would be perfectly fine with "power that is not as impressive", but as-is that entire character forces me away from the show with how he is a literal waste of space.

It bothered me at first, but with the direction the show is going I don't really think it matters? They aren't exactly fighting to save the world week to week, his useless mega-dork power is about as relevant in day to day nonsense as the rest of them.

I dunno, I take this show as purely mindless fluff and something to make me smile a bit on a fricken Monday and it does that well enough. It's not great but I kinda like it anyway.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think it's relaxing to not be anticipating what will happen next week. I got to watching the Chuu2 OVA that came out yesterday, and honestly I'm liking this a lot better not having stupid Rikka and Yuta relationship bullshit. I'm also pretty sure Fujoshi-Sempai's episode will be quite funny.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I don't know what Andou was going for with claiming the secret was him being a lolicon, but how passionate he was about the lie and the super dramatic shots of him were pretty darn funny.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Overlord K posted:

I don't know what Andou was going for with claiming the secret was him being a lolicon, but how passionate he was about the lie and the super dramatic shots of him were pretty darn funny.

He was trying to cover up a 'horrible' truth with a horrible lie.

It's still silly in this case cause the whole point of doing something like that is to get the person to stop asking questions. Yet what Madoka would have done had this not been anime bullshit is back away slowly and find the nearest adult. Or maybe he's just that charismatic, I don't know.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The show just wouldn't be nearly as good without Andou's ridiculous reactions:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Haha, what the gently caress, TRIGGER?

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

Can anyone explain this scene? Is the name "Madoka" considered cool these days after being in the title of the most successful anime featuring little girls fighting cosmic horrors?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The "ki" in her name is written with the character 鬼 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni ), so she's basically called "9 demons". No idea if there is anything special with "Madoka", thats just the character for circle/round/Yen.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 28, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
She just has a badass name, the kind of name he would normally go out of his way to invent. Although I'm not sure how he can tell how it's written just from hearing it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Clarste posted:

She just has a badass name, the kind of name he would normally go out of his way to invent. Although I'm not sure how he can tell how it's written just from hearing it.

You are severely underestimating the true power of his chuunibyou~

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
Episode 4 was fun in that silly way, but I'll have to admit that I was annoyed by the fact that all of this could have been easily solved if Chifuyu or Andou went to one of the girls and asked them for help. I realize that this would've made for a very short episode, but I'd rather that + more of the beginning scene than the crappy lie that ultimately did nothing.

...then again, I do enjoy Andou's uselessness. I dunno, I'm looking way too deep into this show and should just go back to not thinking.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I am really hoping that their powers get publicly revealed at some point though. Like Sayumi watches someone get hit by a bus and heals them before they die, or Tomoyo gets them out of the way. I had thought this show was genre-savvy enough to ask the question of "hey, do we really need to keep this a secret?" but the last few episodes have made me wonder about that. Maybe I'm expecting too much by wanting an overarching plot.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KasaiAisu posted:

I am really hoping that their powers get publicly revealed at some point though. Like Sayumi watches someone get hit by a bus and heals them before they die, or Tomoyo gets them out of the way. I had thought this show was genre-savvy enough to ask the question of "hey, do we really need to keep this a secret?" but the last few episodes have made me wonder about that. Maybe I'm expecting too much by wanting an overarching plot.
Back when the anime was first announced, from what I remember there was a short manga thing that was linked to here (not sure if it was promotional or part of an ongoing series) that touched a bit on whether Sayumi would use her powers in public on people, and the answer was, at least in the abstract, no.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think that was the first chapter for the manga, which came out in conjunction with the anime.

http://imgur.com/a/0XbUA

It was a preview on some random Japanese site this guy translated.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Root of Origin makes a bit more sense than the "Route of Origin" that Crunchy went with, but I guess the former's a little redundant too. Also, the JoJo joke being cut is criminal.

It's far from high art but the show makes me laugh consistently and its got spots of brilliant animation, so definitely a follow for me.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yo, last episode is out, and it's pretty fun. Chuuni dating is the best.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Holy poo poo, there might possibly be some kind of conflict? In my TRIGGER harem anime?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

You go, chuuni.

http://a.pomf.se/dewmbz.webm

At 0:18 she does the Satsuki heel, but she's not wearing heels... so she makes the SFX herself :lol:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tomoyo is much better at the chuuni thing than July-guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

Tomoyo is much better at the chuuni thing than July-guy.

It's just that her's is more concentrated since she's hiding it all of the time.

• Locked thread