Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Tarezax posted:

You go, chuuni.

http://a.pomf.se/dewmbz.webm

At 0:18 she does the Satsuki heel, but she's not wearing heels... so she makes the SFX herself :lol:

I didn't notice this until you pointed it out, and it's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Amstrad posted:

I didn't notice this until you pointed it out, and it's pretty great.

I didn't notice either until a friend pointed it out for me :v:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, I was also too enthralled to notice on the first time.

Also, she is pretending to be a villain, not the protagonist. That's some real next-level chuuni.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
This show is nice and relaxing. I'm a little sad it no longer seems to be out on Mondays (nothing else comes out on Mondays, it was a perfect spot!), but it's genuinely pleasant.

Andou's true superpower is a supernatural level of self-possession and self-awareness by any standards, let alone someone in his age group. Dude seriously has his poo poo together, but people can stop time in this show, so I'll buy it. (Though it does make me think of Nasu's talk about gender equality in his works.) Both his "I won't cheer for you" and "My power is the coolest!" dialogues were great. And the show's willing to let the Hatoko thing simmer on the backburner for a bit, which is a good sign; it shows some confidence.

The show's not a work of art, but I like it. I hope it keeps it up.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Einander posted:

This show is nice and relaxing. I'm a little sad it no longer seems to be out on Mondays (nothing else comes out on Mondays, it was a perfect spot!), but it's genuinely pleasant.

Andou's true superpower is a supernatural level of self-possession and self-awareness by any standards, let alone someone in his age group. Dude seriously has his poo poo together, but people can stop time in this show, so I'll buy it. (Though it does make me think of Nasu's talk about gender equality in his works.) Both his "I won't cheer for you" and "My power is the coolest!" dialogues were great. And the show's willing to let the Hatoko thing simmer on the backburner for a bit, which is a good sign; it shows some confidence.

The show's not a work of art, but I like it. I hope it keeps it up.

Yeah, this show is actually turning out to be unexpectedly sweet and the little bits of humor and visual gags are all well done. It's definitely starting to grow on me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

madmac posted:

Yeah, this show is actually turning out to be unexpectedly sweet and the little bits of humor and visual gags are all well done. It's definitely starting to grow on me.

TRIGGER always finds a way.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Welcome back Ryuko chan, we'd missed you.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wow.

That was a breakdown of dimensions. Painful to watch. Loved it.

And a sudden emergence of plot.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Oh man, poo poo finally hit the fan. Best episode yet.

Actual villains! Other superpowers! Leveling up! I'm actually surprised they slowrolled all that for this long, but I suppose it was necessary to establish characters. This show just got a lot more interesting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KasaiAisu posted:

Oh man, poo poo finally hit the fan. Best episode yet.

Actual villains! Other superpowers! Leveling up! I'm actually surprised they slowrolled all that for this long, but I suppose it was necessary to establish characters. This show just got a lot more interesting.

Given that there are 6 (though the student council president is more like a principal secondary character) primary characters, it makes sense to have an episode about each of them, or at least in their relation to the prime Protagonist, before getting the plot ball finally rolling with half of the series left to go.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Wow that was a hell of a breakdown.
I hope that the fights against the villains are all really action packed, then when it comes down to the final battle between Jurai and eyepatch guy it turns out his power is just as useless as dark and dark.

AgentCooper
Oct 27, 2014

There's nothing quite like urinating out in the open air.
Hatoko's speech was absolutely breathtaking to listen to and watch. Saori Hayami is seriously talented as a voice actress, holy poo poo. I kind of gave the computer screen a standing ovation at the end of it. Fortunately, I was alone in my office.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's always the quiet ones...

also if Hatoko wants to know what chuuni means, I'm pretty sure eyepatch guy is like textbook definition of it

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This is such a strange show. The comedy portions are generally hit-or-miss and can't really carry the show on its own but the dramatic moments are more or less completely on point. That's usually the exact opposite of how these silly LN adaptations go.

Hatoko's blowup was quite something. Definitely the best individual VA performance I've seen in a while. And fully deserved too, Andou handled that about as badly as you possibly could.

My fear is that the whole thing kinda eventually gets swept under the rug and chalked up to plain jealousy on Hatoko's part when all is said and done.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Stunning performance from Hayami Saori.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest, from the preview last week I was expecting some kind of love triangle drama that frankly I thought the show hadn't earned, but as always it exceeds my expectations.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Goddamn was that some amazing voice work. :staredog:

It makes me sad that so few people will ever see and hear that, it left me nearly as stunned as Andou.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Holy poo poo Hatoko goddamn.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I had to pause after watching this episode. That was a hell of a performance goddamn.

Also plot woohoo!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Didn't see that coming at all. Hopefully in the next episode we get to see some more of Mirei. I mean, what better person to go to battle with than someone who can cancel other powers

Also, doesn't that make the phone call during family diner sequence from a few episodes ago suddenly more relevant? Trigger's good at hiding small things like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think if any other company was doing this, it wouldn't have turned out half as well as Trigger's been handling the whole thing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Not one of us could honestly claim to have expected the episode to turn out how it did. Mirei is great and I can see her power-theft being really useful in the coming episodes. I hope she gets more screentime.

I'm still really blown away with Hatoko actually showing that she has a personality :aaaaa:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think if any other company was doing this, it wouldn't have turned out half as well as Trigger's been handling the whole thing.
See, I just don't know anymore. I don't know if this show with a really bland and cliche premise seems like it's good because it's made by *~STUDIO TRIGGER~*, or if it's actually good because the source material holds up and it's made by a competitive/amazing studio (like *~STUDIO TRIGGER~*).

All I know is that that was an amazing rant and I felt like I was in Andou's shoes, standing there without any loving clue what to do.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Holy poo poo Hatoko's breakdown rant is amazing, and is such a perfect takedown of the chuuni/anime tropes, particularly when she nails people for referencing mythological and scientific things they only read a little bit about on the net.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
Finally this show is starting to get good. Hatoko's breakdown was definitely the best part.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Well, I'm all aboard the Trigger hype train now. Six episodes of world-building/romcom/slice-of-life before things hit the fan means that drama will have some payoff. This might be the first series to really show and feel that 'normal everyday life' that every shonen protagonist ever talks about protecting.

And that rant was so well-delivered that it feels wasted in an anime. Even if the series ended at the commercial break, it would have been worth it for that breakdown.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I know I'm just repeating what everybody has already said, but... holy poo poo. That was, more or less, a 2.5 minute explosion. My eyes and ears were glued to the TV; totally caught me off guard.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat that was brutal. I was expecting some sorta love drama to go down due to the preview, but what happened was so much better.

Just echoing everyone else in agreeing that Hatoko's outburst was easily the highlight of the episode.

I generally don't really understand voice acting and I don't have a measure of what constitutes good or lovely voice acting, but I think the voice actress was excellent in conveying Hatoko's pent-up frustration and stress and stuff.

This anime is dealing with chuuni way better than anime that was supposed to be all about chuuni.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/kuroseP/status/534402356520026112

Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently Hayami Saori did that rant in a single take and nailed it on the first try.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Damegane posted:

https://twitter.com/kuroseP/status/534402356520026112

Correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently Hayami Saori did that rant in a single take and nailed it on the first try.

This is right, she nailed the rant in one take.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The only explanation is that something has coded nonsense in a way that poses as a useful message; only after wasting time and effort does the deception becomes apparent. The signal functions to consume the resources of a recipient for zero payoff and reduced fitness. The signal is a virus.

Viruses do not arise from kin, symbionts, or other allies.

The signal is an attack.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hatoko's VA deserves some kind of endurance reward.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

Hatoko's VA deserves some kind of endurance reward.

If there's an award for performances in amine, she should be on the short list for this year in best actress

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Calling it now, Andou's leveled up power is going to be just another flame in his other hand

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Davinci posted:

Calling it now, Andou's leveled up power is going to be just another flame in his other hand

Nah, he'll get over his grimdark chuuni and it'll become a pure and white flame!

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

He will understand that he was an insufferable nerd and will get a real personality, the greatest power of all.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davinci posted:

I may have grown up but I still remember that one of the fundaments of chuuni is 'no symmetry.'

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Davinci posted:

AfroSquirrel posted:

Nah, he'll get over his grimdark chuuni and it'll become a pure and white flame!

Space Flower posted:

I may have grown up but I still remember that one of the fundaments of chuuni is 'no symmetry.'

All three. Bam.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay excuse me for fanficcing a bit here, but they should really make a movie, a bit like the Mikuru Asahina Adventure, but with more fights and without the exploitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This hand of mine glows with a mediocre power

• Locked thread