Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
The weird painting with a cane sorta made me think it was a blind mouse, but I have no clue. It might just be that I'm expecting an animal to be in every illustration after that one too many animals comment in room 20. In any case, it's strange that most of the paintings are buried considering that it doesn't look like the dirt dug up should've gone through or hit any walls. And why is the torn painting apparently hung from the rafters(?) as opposed to a wall?

Voting for door 18.
I'd rather wait for explanations for unsolved riddles until we've hit a dead end or have finished a run, successful or not, through the maze. And only based on things we've seen previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Now this room just makes no god drat sense at all. Door 3 seems more interesting than the other one based on pretty much absolutely nothing.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Hrm, tricks within tricks within tricks... There's one theory about our guide nobody seems to have considered, considering The Tower, the Apple, his duplicitous nature, veiled comments and trickery... Better, as they say, to reign in hell than serve in heaven.

Which is why I'm voting 18. The apple's just too obvious and tempting to me. :D

EDIT: I really don't care if it is what our narrator's referring to.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 26, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

JamieTheD posted:

Hrm, tricks within tricks within tricks... There's one theory about our guide nobody seems to have considered, considering The Tower, the Apple, his duplicitous nature, veiled comments and trickery... Better, as they say, to reign in hell than serve in heaven.

Oh come on, don't do this to us.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

JamieTheD posted:

Are you referring to Devil = Lucifer = light bringer => enlightenment via the biblical apple?

Speaking of fables, could the leftmost picture be 'The Frog and the Scorpion'? (The odd, bent thing could represent a scorpion's stinger.)

Since we saw an Apple before, I vote for Door 18.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"
While I'd normally vote for door 3, because 18 seems too obvious and it seems clear they're referring to Lucifer...
But we've been doing the 'bad luck' choice so far, and I think it's better to stick to a doomed path than stray.
So, I'm voting for 18

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
The painting on the left really looks like a blind mouse with a cane to me.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's a bit weird, it seems in every room the dialogue is now referring to other rooms they haven't visited yet in this runthrough.

Voting 3 for no good reason.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Well we have a house in ruins but no olive grove. I personally would find it a bit lacklustre if "haha the devil was our guide all along" but the apple and towers we have seen so far may suggest something.

No real clues in the text so let's just look closely at the image. The painting on the far right as Viggy Nash suggested looks like the Taj Mahal with what could be an octagon or 8-pointed star beside it. This appears in too many cultures and religions to count, it could just be a sun.

Just a picture of a angel I can't get anything from.
Zooming in on the portrait of 3 dudes, far right seems to have glasses and a moustache. Far left almost seems a portrayal of Zeus but probably not. We're a party of 3 I think, picture of us too obscured to see? Doesn't make much sense.

The swordsman seems to have something on his back. It could be a bow, part of an angel wing, maybe a harp?

That final painting I have no clue what the gently caress it is, looks like something in a dapper suit holding a walking stick.

Nothing seems to give any clues about we're to go next and this early on we're better just exploring as many rooms as possible.

Every door we've taken so far has had the perspective of facing us so let's just keep doing that.

Room 18.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
I say we go the way of the 3 blind mice

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
On the visitors:
-There are at least three
-One is the "thoughful" one.
-Another one suspects we're going in circles. Maybe the same character that said "nary a soul" in the first room? The "pessimistic" one?

Let's go with 3, there seems to be some kind of track in the dust.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I think that door 3 is a pretty clear reference to the three blind mice... and right now we're running through a maze and can't see what the hell we're doing, so I think that might mean us. I suspect it's a trap, so let's follow the apple and go to 18.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I like the interpretation of the 3 blind mice, which only reinforces wanting to go into 3.

DJ Ramshackle noted that the thing next to the swordsman could be a harp, and on a second look I'm fairly sure somewhat sure that's what it is, if not a tail. Any historical relevance for a swordsman carrying a harp?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 26, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
E: whoops, quoted instead of edit

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think that's a shield on the swordsman's arm.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
The thing on the doorway to 18 looks like a rabbit to me, not an apple.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
In the spirit of fairness, I have zoomed in on the painting in the corner and the thing in the doorway.

The Painting...

The Doorway...

I have edited the original post for Room 9.
Good luck.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Wow much easier to see it is indeed a blind mouse. Could the animal in the doorway be in fact a white rabbit?

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Thank you for the zoom, Grimwit. The mouse's huge ears had appeared as a frog's bulging eyes to me.

I stick with my choice of door, though.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
if you have high res scans you should upload and link to them.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
I don't know, now it's looking like an apple to me again.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Yeah, that's definitely a blind mouse. There's still a lot of other imagery going on, but the three blind mice got their tails chopped off, so I'm going to go with room 18.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Definitely a blind mouse, and the other still looks like an apple to me. Not changing my decision.

e: VV *sigh* I brought this on myself.

Do continue, goon sir.

e2: Wait, is it the Garden of Eden we're talking about here? That would make a lot of sense.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 26, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Definitely a blind mouse, and the other still looks like an apple to me. Not changing my decision.

[waves an apple in front of Viggy] Aaaaaaallll the knowledge... Aaaaalll the spoilers you can share... Aaaaaalll the amazing self-aware jokes you can make... C'mooooonnn, you knooow you want toooo...

You can trust meeee...

After all, I'm an LPer...

[twirls moustache because he knows he's right. :D]

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Hmm. Considering that the repeat of '3' here seems to be a reference to the blind mice, I think I'll go with Door 8. At least that direction doesn't possibly lead to a bad or something. Well, it's less likely to, IMHO.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

e2: Wait, is it the Garden of Eden we're talking about here? That would make a lot of sense.

To continue with the satan references (and prove that lucifer as a concept has many different interpretations...

GIVE THAT MAN A COCONUT!

Yes, it is very possible that our guide is the Miltonian version of Lucifer (very popular, so I'm told). I'm going to wait until we find more evidence to be sure, but yeah, very possible.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

LucyWanabe posted:

I think I'll go with Door 8.

I'm going to assume that means Door 18 when I count votes tonight.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The digging continues under Door 3.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Grimwit posted:

I'm going to assume that means Door 18 when I count votes tonight.

Dang it, yes, sorry about that. I meant 18.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

With nine votes, we have a winner. Let's group together and enter...

Room 18

… a much warmer room. Shadows danced across the floor to the fire’s music.

“Someone’s lost his hat.”

“Are you sure it’s the hat that is lost?” I asked reasonably enough. No one would answer me.

Ducking behind a curtain and hurrying down a passageway we came out in …

Manson, who's name I realize I've been misspelling all this time, must have had an interesting background. The Maze has so many references to Literature, mythology, architecture, and in this case, music. Remember, this book was made before Wikipedia and computer index filing. One could imagine the author wandering the halls of a university library looking through texts on code breaking or fairy tales.

Incredible.

Edit: ViggyNash seemed to think there was something just beyond Door 13's doorway, so I've supplied a close up.

It's just an inanimate blank poster. What could it mean?

Here's our current map.

These one way doors are not as prevalent as you might imagine, you've just been stumbling through the only one's in this part of the Maze. Our choices are limited, for now.

You have roughly 24 hours.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 27, 2014

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Hmm, so we've got a bass clef, a pair of eighth notes (C and A, in bass clef), then a treble clef, then a (assuming we're in treble clef now) C major chord (E G C E from bottom to top).

The eighth notes have a leap of a minor 3rd, and the chord has a doubled 3rd. Don't know if that's relevant or not.

Princey fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 27, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Notes:

The staves are also slanted- down for 13 and up for 3.

The fireplace has one of those nifty concave eye sculpture setups so that the eye appears to be staring at you wherever you go.

That may be a salamander above the fireplace.

The text referring to the "shadows dancing to the fire's music" appears likely to be of significance.

On the other hand, the path to Room 13, with its partially open curtain, is the only one we can get to by just "ducking under a curtain".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 27, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Our choice is between the two rooms we passed up the last two times. Hmm.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Notes:

The staves are also slanted- down for 13 and up for 3.

So it's a minor fall and a major lift?

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Based on Princey's interpretation of the music (and Grimwit's not very subtle clues), I'm going to say...

What? Huh?

No clue here.
I was just marveling at how much this guy knew when he wrote/drew the book.
The Music is obviously a clue.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

3 seems like a good idea to me. Liking the text for the room... So the owner might be "lost" eh? And a dragon above the mantlepiece (could be a salamander, I'll admit)

Although something I've just noticed that may or may not change my vote, depending on whether anyone can make sense of it. Doesn't the shadow of that chair look... Wrong to anybody else? There are no curvy bits under the seat, so why are the curves where they are?

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Yeah, it's a bit odd. If you tilt your head to the right, the shadow of the chair looks a bit like a stick-man in a hat running away.

Also, the shadow of the pin doesn't fit with the fireplace as a light source.

The bass notes point downward (to the floor below?), and it's another chance to enter Room 13, so that's my pick.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
My relentless obsessive compulsion to unlock RPG doors in strict linear order is kicking in. And I know nothing of music. So it's number 3!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

JamieTheD posted:

Although something I've just noticed that may or may not change my vote, depending on whether anyone can make sense of it. Doesn't the shadow of that chair look... Wrong to anybody else? There are no curvy bits under the seat, so why are the curves where they are?

Are you talking about the curve on the far right? It's from the back of the chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Door 3.

• Locked thread