Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I vote for room 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Room number 1 had a Drum above one of the doors (door 20, the one we went in). I'd suggest we go back to room 20 and check the door we didn't go through (5) to see if we can find some relation to this one and make some sense of the markings in the maze.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I still want to peek at unlucky room 13, based on our current choices available. I mean, I hope it one-ups a floor-less room.
I'm assuming solving the riddle(s) is the closest thing to having an inventory in this CYOA book?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Eh, nothing particularly interesting in this room except for a door we CAN'T go through for no reason depicted, being the one marked with a drum.

Really, I'm mostly interested in trying to see if there's a way back to the first room from here. Per Devils Affricate's graph, it looks like 13 could get us back through the one-way door from 9, so there's at least that.

Voting 13.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Fat Samurai posted:

Room number 1 had a Drum above one of the doors (door 20, the one we went in). I'd suggest we go back to room 20 and check the door we didn't go through (5) to see if we can find some relation to this one and make some sense of the markings in the maze.

Currently, we are unable to back track to room 20 or take Door 5. We'll get there, however. No worries.
You guys have only just begun, and it will get easier as we go.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I said I'd take whatever the first person said, but I'm liking room 13 too.

e: This is what I was thinking of btw:

Devils Affricate posted:

I vote for room 7

Thanks for this.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 29, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Well, I'm pretty satisfied (at this point) with the idea that our path so far should have been 20, 33, 3, 18, so I'm also gonna go with 13. That should, if I'm right, put us 3 steps away from room 45, and leave us to figure our path back. Although it's entirely possible this is the path back, not the path forward.

Either way, 13 sounds good.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

JamieTheD posted:

Well, I'm pretty satisfied (at this point) with the idea that our path so far should have been 20, 33, 3, 18, so I'm also gonna go with 13. That should, if I'm right, put us 3 steps away from room 45, and leave us to figure our path back. Although it's entirely possible this is the path back, not the path forward.

Either way, 13 sounds good.

We can't get to 33 directly from 20, so this doesn't work. Voting 35

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
35? That's a fiddlin'.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Grimwit posted:

Currently, we are unable to back track to room 20 or take Door 5. We'll get there, however. No worries.
You guys have only just begun, and it will get easier as we go.

Stupid one way doors, grumble, grumble...

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Hmmm. I think I'll go with 35. Big numbers, c'mon!

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Many votes all across the board. Looks like the winning choice takes us to...

Room 13

…room number 13.

They weren’t really comfortable here and I knew why.

“No, no,” they said. “We’re not all superstitious.”

“Only some of you, then?”

They were worried it might be Friday. Well it’s true that is was closer to the end of the week than they realized. It takes a great deal of experience, certainly more than they possessed, to understand how time works in the Maze. The clock thought it was six in the evening.

Quickly moving on we came to…

I'll be honest. Numbers seem like they're important in this room, but there's no luck involved. I mean, the clock strikes six, which is 18:00 but there are 9 kinds of time which mean you need door 27 which just leaves back here!

Thinking like this will twist your mind like a spiral staircase, and I've known men who have disappeared down stairways like that.

Best to go with your gut.

Let's look at the Map.

We have many oppertunities here. As long at there are at least two choices, I will put things to a vote, but here we have three!

You may vote on 7, 35, or continue this way with Room 25.

You have roughly 24 hours.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Everything to do with time, except that director's chair and megaphone. Seems relevant somehow.

Time to keep bumbling along new rooms, room 25 it is.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Everything to do with time, except that director's chair and megaphone. Seems relevant somehow.

Yeah.

Yeah, what's the deal with the Director's chair? In all honesty, neither I nor my resources have a clue what that chair is about.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Definitely voting for 25.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grimwit posted:

Yeah.

Yeah, what's the deal with the Director's chair? In all honesty, neither I nor my resources have a clue what that chair is about.

I'm assuming this is a direct reference to some notable time travel movie featuring skeletons and a sundial. What that is, I don't have the slightest clue.

Picking 25 because it is the only multiple of not 3. Also because there's no reason to backtrack.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

I thought the implication made by the director's equipment was that this room's meant for the manipulation of time, what with the positionable light source and the fact the guide states the clock's inaccurate.

Casting a vote for room 7.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Grimwit posted:

And so, with eleven votes, our choice is clear. Our many feet stampede onto the shaky floor of...

You're choices are 7, 35, or back to 13.

Uhh. We shouldn't be able to go to room 13. The picture clearly shows the number 3 and not 13. That option was to go back to the room we came from. You probably mistyped when you wrote 13. So, I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be in room 13 right now.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 30, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Obscil posted:

Uhh. We shouldn't be able to go to room 13. The picture clearly shows the number 3 and not 13. That option was to go back to the room we came from. You probably mistyped when you wrote 13.

We can get to 13 by walking back through rooms we've previously visited (3, followed by 18). There's no point in voting to retrace our steps one room at a time.

Note that the one-way doors mean that we can't currently backtrack outside of this area of the maze.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Nothing stands out so far, but going by Grimwit's map, one of the choices from 33 may get us closer back to start. So that said, I'll vote for Room 7.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Why not forge ahead? I'll choose room 25.

As for the image, I corrected a couple things. The 1-20 connection was shown as 1-way, while the 20-27 connection was shown as 2-way. The opposite is true.

@Grimwit: my aim here is to graph the connections between the rooms as we've seen them, as opposed to making a flavorful map that competes with the ones you've created, but if you feel like this is undermining your LP in any way please let me know and I'll stop posting these images.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
I'm down with seeing where 25 takes us.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Grimwit posted:

Life is a Stage, etc...? God checking the alloted time for each being, as some kind of director? There are skeletons holding the clock, after all.

Anyway, we're missing "seconds" in the panel with the ways of measure time, so let's go through the second door, door 18.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Anyway, we're missing "seconds" in the panel with the ways of measure time, so let's go through the second door, door 18.

Now that you say that it seems very obvious...

But since we have been in 18 already I'll vote for 25 as well.

Another thing that occured to me: In room 3 there is a (rounded rectangular) sign behind the STOP-sign. Any idea what that could be?

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
The sundial (kind of?) looks like it's pointing at 25, so I'm gonna go with that.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

@Grimwit: my aim here is to graph the connections between the rooms as we've seen them, as opposed to making a flavorful map that competes with the ones you've created, but if you feel like this is undermining your LP in any way please let me know and I'll stop posting these images.

I take no offense here, either. In fact, I encourage it!

The thing about "Maze" is that it's not fully understood yet. At least not by anyone other than Chris Manson. I have so many answers to many questions, but not all of them, so I'm fully behind you doing you're own thing in the confines of this play through. The more minds help out, the more likely you lot will see something I haven't. Win/Win.

If the another map will make it easier to choose where to go and how to get to the end and back, bravo! I will say; You will eventually find that some lines will need to cross each other, but for now this is most acceptable.

Fat Samurai posted:

Uh... Rough news, dude. We've already been to Room 18. It connects to This room and Room 3. You still have time to vote.

Edit: *sigh*

Obscil posted:

Uhh. We shouldn't be able to go to room 13. The picture clearly shows the number 3 and not 13. That option was to go back to the room we came from. You probably mistyped when you wrote 13. So, I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be in room 13 right now.

Okay, I will answer your quote with one of my own. It's the paragraph just above the your quote of me...

Grimwit posted:

Let's look at our map.

Yes, this is filling out quite nicely. We're even still able to back track into the popular Room 13, if needed. As an added clarification, I wish to avoid revisiting rooms. A vote for a previous room seems inefficient and this may take a month to complete as it is. If you want a quick index of the previous rooms, check under the original post and you will find links to the other rooms. Perhaps you may glean new clues to the riddle, the guide, or which way is the correct path.

You must have slipped by it.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 30, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I still have no ideas decrypting room 33. There must be some connecting logic behind those plaques, but what? Why does a jug appear on two of them? What is the other thing on the 35 door?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Grimwit posted:

I take no offense here, either. In fact, I encourage it!

The thing about "Maze" is that it's not fully understood yet. At least not by anyone other than Chris Manson. I have so many answers to many questions, but not all of them, so I'm fully behind you doing you're own thing in the confines of this play through. The more minds help out, the more likely you lot will see something I haven't. Win/Win.

If the another map will make it easier to choose where to go and how to get to the end and back, bravo! I will say; You will eventually find that some lines will need to cross each other, but for now this is most acceptable.

Great, I find it kind of fun so I'll continue.

And yeah, I figured that it would eventually become impossible to maintain a 2D layout that doesn't overlap, considering how you told us that your map had to be comprised of 3 storeys in order make everything fit. Crossing lines shouldn't be a problem for the purpose of my chart, though, as long as things don't get too crazy (which I guess they might).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have a feeling that there might be some further meaning in his 3 storey approach.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Maybe the words 'cut' and 'action' are somehow important with the directors chair? Anyway, let's see room 25.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

The majority has spoken. It's time to move on into...

Room 25

…a high room with the image of a crown on the wall for everyone to see now. Though one of my parents might be lowborn, the other was close to a king…. I’ve always felt at home here.

“Which door ought we take?” they wanted to know. I rather brusquely indicated the three doors.

“Any of those is fine for my purposes.”

They were disconcerted at the apparent lack of clues. “Perhaps in another room,” they said, leaving for…

A truly dramatic room. The clues are strong here, with a small clue as to our guide.
This room was one of the few that frightened my sister and I in our youth.
Something about that face.

Let's look at our map.

Backtracking is still an option. Heck, it may even happen on accident. We also have an unusual situation. Room 35 is assessable from two rooms!

The choices are Door 7, Door 34, and doubly so, Door 35.

You have roughly 24 hours.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

If our guide is Jesus, I'm so doing the book equivalent of flipping the table.

Anyway, I don't have the slightest clue about what the hell is going on here, but room 35 seems like the interesting choice.

E: Of course not 25, but 35.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 31, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Let's go full circle into 35

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

As tempted as I am in tripling down on checking 7, there's probably no harm in checking room 35 if two rooms appear to be connected to them, right?

That face is pretty disconcerting, and for a moment I thought the pupils on some of them were aimed towards the crown- but it looks like it's not consistent.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hmm. There would have been a sign in front of the crown; presumably thus the other signs have symbols behind that we cannot see. Maybe there's a pattern common to the arbitrary symbols throughout the maze that we cannot yet divine.

Let's check out room 35.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TheMcD posted:

If our guide is Jesus, I'm so doing the book equivalent of flipping the table.

I was thinking more the Minotaur. His father, being a bull, was rather lowborn, and his mother was the queen of Crete, and what's a queen if not close to a king?
Plus, you know, the association of the Minotaur with mazes, even though a labyrinth and a maze are not the same thing.

As for the room, I got nothing. So voting 35 because it seems interesting.

I remember having this book as a child and being utterly stumped.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Yeah, this is the room that says most about who the guide is, in my opinion.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
People have mentioned that the fallen placard probably has a number on it, but I'm more curious about what's behind the ones that are still up. Most of the doors so far have been marked with symbols. If there's some kind of order or combination to the symbols we might be able to deduce something about the covered ones based on the presence of the crown.

Updated for the new room and restructured to make things more compact and allow for an easier 13-35 connection.

As always, I'll pick the open door: room 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I vote we Pick up the fallen sign and look at then number on it, then go through the door with the crown above it.

• Locked thread