Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't mean some skinny dude in a robe who can shoot magic missile and also magic missile but with fire because game balance. I mean a real loving WIZARD capable of tearing game balance right in two.

I'll start: Dragon's Dogma.

http://youtu.be/uCtARsbRjzM?t=8m59s

That is some poo poo a Sorcerer can do in Dragon's Dogma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

a true and real loving wizard would only be able to use illusions, you retarded dickweed

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i hear that new lichdom: battlemage game is pretty good, but i haven't played it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

AHungryRobot posted:

i hear that new lichdom: battlemage game is pretty good, but i haven't played it.
It's cool, if short.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Dungeons & Dragons

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

a true and real loving wizard would only be able to use illusions, you retarded dickweed

I would like to play a game where I could be an awesome stage magician too

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Gauntlet has you fire a frost spell that freezes anything in a cone, a much larger slowdown AoE, a repel shield, and a passive invincibility bubble in ten seconds. He has several more spells that don't require gaining 50 levels to learn. He regens every spell in seconds.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Gauntlet has you fire a frost spell that freezes anything in a cone, a much larger slowdown AoE, a repel shield, and a passive invincibility bubble in ten seconds. He has several more spells that don't require gaining 50 levels to learn. He regens every spell in seconds.

?? in gauntlet you just shoot a little fireball thing

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
In Gauntlet, you shoot the food, not a fireball.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

?? in gauntlet you just shoot a little fireball thing

probably talking about the new gauntlet game, but i'm not sure.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Magicka.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

the new gauntlet as well i guess, since its wizard is basically just the magicka casting with fewer elements

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Upcoming Dragon Age Inquisition

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Diablo.
A lot of roguelikes.
Sacred
Dragon Age Origins
Neverwinter Nights
Elder Scrolls games
Majesty

if you want to talk tabletop, world of darkness mages are ridiculous.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Call of Duty: Wizard Warfare

surc
Aug 17, 2004

AHungryRobot posted:

I heard it is repetitive and sucks, but I really want it to be good.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Morrowind, Magicka kinda

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah dawn of magic. You can only be a mage and begin the game with short range teleport as a basic movement option

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Make a custom daggerfall class and forbid yourself all armor and weapons. Tag all magic skills and as many languages as you can cram into your misc skill section. Make sure you include the dragon language because there are no dragons.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Mage class in most games:

Low levels = low HP, no attack power, gotta chug potions to live.

Mid/end game= exactly the same except you get an impractical overly expensive spell.that requires ten minutes to cast but all your enemies die instead

Like mages are supposed to be weak as poo poo then turn into glass cannons after you wade through the whole game on hard mode, but instead you just get more impractical unfun cutscene spells at the cost of missing out on over half the core.gameplay of the game.

And then everybody complains about the -concept- of mages being stronger than warriors so.everything.just cycles and gets worse (skyrim)

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Magicka and the new Magicka

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
should be a real wizard like merlin, who's power is to pretend to be a hobo and tell the future but nobody cares because they're horny

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

should be a real wizard like merlin, who's power is to pretend to be a hobo and tell the future but nobody cares because they're horny

that's second life

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The onyl good kind of wizard is the kind that gives life to skeletons

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Space Station 13.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

SarutosZero posted:

The onyl good kind of wizard is the kind that gives life to skeletons

this, if you're a wizard and don't have this ability then why bother honestly

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm gay for wizardry. The wizard class is hybrid cleric/mage cause the creators didn't want to rip off D&D rules in 1983. Also not enough modern games set up fighters/warriors to use shield skills. Shields own.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Is this game out on PC yet OP.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Is this game out on PC yet OP.

No and also there will never be a sequel, because we must all be reminded that life is pain.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Magic Carpet is the game you're looking for

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Look up archmage on ADOM op

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The world ends with you

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

OkieMurse posted:

Diablo.
A lot of roguelikes.
Sacred
Dragon Age Origins
Neverwinter Nights
Elder Scrolls games
Majesty

if you want to talk tabletop, world of darkness mages are ridiculous.

WoD mages own and are what all wizards and magic users should be.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

WoD mages own and are what all wizards and magic users should be.

que the inevitable "if wizards get powers like that at high levels then warriors should too" slapfight

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ForeverSmug posted:

que the inevitable "if wizards get powers like that at high levels then warriors should too" slapfight

uh, the adamantine arrow are just as good as the mysterium

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Nahh the whole classic wizard trope is that the warrior stomps all over them early but if they are wily enough to survive and gain power, they become demigods. Warriors just remain a guy with a sword.

Now if you're talking about proper game balance that's another thing entirely. But we want to break the game. :)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OkieMurse posted:

Nahh the whole classic wizard trope is that the warrior stomps all over them early but if they are wily enough to survive and gain power, they become demigods. Warriors just remain a guy with a sword.

Now if you're talking about proper game balance that's another thing entirely. But we want to break the game. :)

There's no such thing as a classic wizard in that sense. Wizards are, as anything other than an Obi-Wan or Emperor Palpatine figure, a modern innovation.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Effectronica posted:

There's no such thing as a classic wizard in that sense. Wizards are, as anything other than an Obi-Wan or Emperor Palpatine figure, a modern innovation.

lmao u don't know the hidden history of the wizard-gods of atlantis..... get out fake-wizard

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

any gaems where i can be a grand wizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

or as the Holder of the World would say..... Endþrím gh'kazrakúr ghekðrerât!

u probably don't even know what that means....... lmao..!

• Locked thread