Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Seriously what the gently caress is this. It's like black magic and cryptography.

I'd rather not fail electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

electricity goes out, electicity comes in, and it never leaves. what are you gonna do with all that electricity??

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Clapping Larry
All I know is you can model a whole pile of poo poo as a power source and a resistor.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Clapping Larry
Which is very good to me.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

drilldo squirt posted:

All I know is you can model a whole pile of poo poo as a power source and a resistor.

So you can explain mesh analysis to me too right?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's cool as all hell.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Man, it sure is tricky being a first year engineering student!

EDIT: Saw the League of Legends avatar, no wonder you have trouble.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Clapping Larry
Basically loops.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Yeah I'm basically retarded. Help.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It's like, instead of taking top lane you decide to jungle mid game, get it op?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't look it up but is this the one about how to efficiently jerk off as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time?

I think it is.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Clapping Larry
I was trying to think up something complicated for basic electronics but it's baby stuff for idiots.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hope this helps op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd4jvtAr8JM&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You can tell the difference between a thevanin and a norton equivalent because the way the resistor in the norton one is hooked up will consume power even when nothing is connected to it making it warmer than the thevanin one so if they ask you to tell the difference on a test just write that the question is ill-posed since the diagrams don't have temperature information

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I love electricity because unlike fire it really is raw energy instead of just a bunch of atomic particles vibrating really fast

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

the first search result for tzeentch is a warhamemr40k wiki

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Serious answer.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/electricity-and-magnetism/v/circuits-part-4

You're welcome. That'll be 5 bux or an AV cert

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So if I can't do mesh analysis and have a hell of a time deriving something like the formula for turning voltage into RMS I should probably just give up?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

watch all of this guy's videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlYi1yLTVQ

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

i prefer these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g91xkISmp2g

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Methanar posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is this. It's like black magic and cryptography.

I'd rather not fail electricity.

V = I * R

Voltage = Current * Resistance

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

if youre going into electrical engineering you are majorly hosed if this is trippign you up

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the real answer is go to your prof's and TA's office hours and have them work through examples with you step-by-step until you understand it enough not to need hand-holding. This might be an adjustment since you're not in high school anymore and they're not teaching to a test but with practice you will learn to think through things on your own.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

if youre not going into electrical engineering why the hell are you learning it

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
if u can't write a computer program to do all your electrical homework for you you should just drop out now

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

proof of concept posted:

the real answer is go to your prof's and TA's office hours and have them work through examples with you step-by-step until you understand it enough not to need hand-holding. This might be an adjustment since you're not in high school anymore and they're not teaching to a test but with practice you will learn to think through things on your own.

also if your test is tomorrow, either get a sick note or else straight injure yourself to get more time to study

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

be sure to update us once you start doing poo poo with rlc circuits and have to do actual, real math to figure things out

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
wait i looked it up and it's just that bullshit with the resistors and poo poo from like phys 101. i thought this was goign to be like some actual math stuff

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I welcome my Mcdonalds/unemployment future.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

some sort of fish posted:

the first search result for tzeentch is a warhamemr40k wiki

You buy yourself that nooby baby avatar?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

woah poo poo you can learn electronics thru there, goddamn I thougt it was all math

I feel like we could learn a lot from this man's work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011
no

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

steve thevenin? man gently caress his worthless rear end thoerem. he couldn't even make his lamp work

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

actually you know what, im bored, so lets go over mesh theory with an ~example~

have this awful drawn picture of some poo poo i made up on the spot. we're gonna find out all the currents!

mesh analysis splits this up into three circuits because you can figure out numbers if you do it, wow! cool! so lets figure out the 3 ohm resistor first

heres circuit 1. youve got V1=5, R1=3, and if you do ohms law you should just get I=V/R, right? wrong fuckass. look at this:

this circuit is also using the resistor and loving things up with kirchhoff bullshit. what an rear end in a top hat!! we gotta figure this poo poo out. anyways you notice how you can think of all the current going clockwise? heres the direction of I1 and I3 when theyre going through that 3 ohm resistor:

theyre going the wrong way so you gotta subtract them when you do ohms law. so basically you get V1=R1*(I1-I3) when you look at it. cool. do the same thing with the other circuit, and you get V3=R3*(I3-I1)+R3*I3. the R3*I3 part is there because I3 still has to travel through that resistor, but it doesnt have another current loving with it. okay so basically to calculate this, set them both to 0

-V1+R1*(I1-I3)=0
-V3+R1*(I3-I1)+R3*I3=0

and youre set to start plugging in values. first, grab all the values you know.

R1= 3 ohms
R3= 5 ohms
V1= 5V
V3= -2V

"but wait" your idiot child mind might be asking, "why is V3 negative???" good loving question. this is why:

the battery is going against the direction i arbitrarily set for the current, so its negative.

ANYWAYS plug them in and you get this after some ~math~

2 + 3*I1 - 3*I3 = 0
-5 - 3*I1 + 8*I3 = 0

then when you solve you get I1 = -0.067 and I3=0.6 or something. current through the 3 ohm resistor is like .6667 A, or -.6667 A, depending on how you look at it!!

so about I2

its not doing anything. I2 = 0

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 23, 2014

AntiZorn
Sep 23, 2007
Pillbug
Don't get so upset OP. Focus on how well rested you feel are after sleeping through all those linear algebra classes that were SOOOO boring.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
Just wait until you get to transient circuit analysis. Differential equations are always loads of fun.

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

"Cock'n'Balls" is a pinnacle of modern medicine.
Alrighty then smartypants, tell me something.

Tell me what the total charge is on the surface of the solid described by x^2+2y^2+3z^2, where the point P(1,4,9) is a point on the surface, in the region between the plane z=1 and the paraboloid z=x^2+y^2 if the electric charge density is proportional to the distance from the origin to the point (x,y,z).

I mean, I think I need to create a level surface using the point and the equation, then solve for the surface area in the region described (so it'd be the square root of the sum of the first partial derivatives wrt x and y plus 1, as a double integral) but I can't get the surface into a form where z is a function of x and y.

And then I can't get past that.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
This ain't for you kid

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

"Cock'n'Balls" is a pinnacle of modern medicine.

gently caress Your Website posted:

This ain't for you kid

gently caress you, and gently caress your advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

texasmed posted:

V = I * R

Voltage = Current * Resistance

lol there isn't even an 'i' in current

idiot.

• Locked thread