Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012
Let's Play Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8

What is Romance of the Three Kingdoms

The Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a Chinese historical novel written by Luo Guanzhong sometime in the 14th Century. The epic novel begins in 169 AD and chronicles the end of the Han Dynasty, the collapse of China into the three warring kingdoms of Cao Wei, Eastern Wu, and Shu Han, and ends with the reunification of the nation in 280 AD. The first complete English translation was published in 1925, which still gets reprinted by Tuttle Press, while a more faithful, modern translation was first printed in 1976. For more information on The Romance of the Three Kingdoms check-out Kongming's Archives.

In 1985 videogame publisher Koei released Romance of the Three Kingdoms(RoTK), a turn based startegy game, for the Nintendo Entertainment System. While the game shares the setting and title, much of the game is based on other historical texts and records rather than the semi-mythological novel. The game was part of Koei's "historical simulation series" which included titles such as Nobunaga's Ambition, Genghis Khan, and Pacific Theater of Operation.

What is Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII

The first through sixith games in the series follow a very similar turn based strategy formula, giving the player control over one of dozens of factions which existed during the time period. However, with RoTK 7 the series made a drastic shift from being a kingdom management game to a hybrid strategy/RPG/life simulator, and the gameplay was carried over to RoTK 8. Rather than playing as the head of a faction, the player takes on the role of any officer during the period no matter how minor a figure. There are over 500 officers on offer, plus the ability to create your own characters.

The LP

We'll be tackling the game in screenshot form, because 99% of this game is static images or barely animated sprites.

For our first dip into the RoTK pool will be as Guan Yu, an officer of Shu Han, beginning in July 214. I'll talk about why we pick the start later, but we're playing as Guan Yu because he is essentially Easy Mode. His stats make him one of the best characters in any role, and his existing relationships make moving up the ladder easy. After we get the Guan Yu ball rolling I have a few surprises and bonuses for the thread that will let us make the game more challenging on ourselves. For now the game will follow Guan Yu until he either dies or all of China is unified under a single (hopefully Shu Han) banner.

Thread Rules

Mostly any discussion is fine. Talking about characters, events, or anything else from The Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel is fine. Talking about related historical writings (like the Records of the Three Kingdoms) and contrasting them to the novel is fine. And talking about related Koei games or RoTK media like movies or the T.V. shows is fine.

What is off limits is discussion of game play we haven't seen in the LP. That means possible event triggers, abilities open to certain ranks of officers like rulers, and special items or characters we haven't had a chance to show off. I promise we will get around to most if not everything so stay patient.

Expect updates on Wednesday and Friday and supplemental updates on Sundays. The historical supplemental posts will be about broad series of events in the Three Kingdoms period and the late Western Han, as well as more detailed biographies of major figures. There will also be "Koei History" posts where we'll do one-off looks at earlier, related Koei games (Note: this means I will not be using this LP to look at later RoTK games, and likely won't look past the PS2 era of Koei releases).

Readers are totally welcome to talk about whatever they want in terms of history that is related to the time period. If anyone is interested in dedicating time to research and write up a detailed post on different events from the Three Kingdoms era they are welcome to share. I'll probably also link to them in the OP.

Updates
1-1. Intro - July 214 Strategy Session
1-2. Out In the Fields
2-1. October 214 Strategy Session
2-2. Money, Money, Money
3-1. January 215 Strategy Session
3-2. Battle of Xiang Yang
3-3. Home Sweet New Home

Supplemental Updates, Historical Asides, and Major Nerd Outs
Sperging About the Blue/Green/Black Dragon Blade's Name
Historical Detail About Our Scenario Start - Thanks to Jegan
Bonus Update: The Decline and Fall of the Han Dynasty
Some Extra History About Everyone's Favorite Daoist Rebels - Thanks to Brony Hunter
Argle's Effort Post on the Decline of the Han - Thanks to Arglebargle III
Bonus Update: Officer Biography 1, Guan Yu
More History About The Civil War in China - Thanks to Arglebargle III
Bonus Update: Officer Biography 2, Liu Bei

SpecialK800 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012
1-1. Intro - July 214 Strategy Session

Before starting a game we have to choose a scenario. The game has start dates as early as 184 AD and as late as 263 AD. But this screen doesn't show us the scenarios, just the collections of scenarios.

Within each of those options is a screen like this, which as few as three and as many as six starting scenarios to choose depending on what you select. This is the selection under "The Assault on Han Zhong 214-219." We'll be selecting July 214 because it is the high-water mark for Shu Han in terms of territory. Shu territory is colored in green on this map (and is their color throughout the game), Eastern Wu is colored in red, and Cao Wei is colored in blue. The brown territories are neutral, while the teal and purple territories are independent factions. With this start and playing as Guan Yu we are in the best position to make Shu Han the victor in this war.

This is the character select screen and that is Guan Yu. You can select to play as up to 8 different characters. And none of them have to be in the same faction. You could even play as the rulers of all three kingdoms in the final scenario and have two of them surrender to the other, instantly winning the game. But that's no fun.

Yi Province in West Shu was a land surrounded by mountains in the southwestern part of the continent. The land had always been removed from the conflicts in the Central Plains.

However, soon after, the relationship between Liu Zhang and Liu Bei became strained and they went to war.

Liu Bei's army fought a hard battle and lost their Warlord Pang Tong in the battle of Luo Feng Po. However, they received reinforcements from Jing and advanced to Cheng Du, where Liu Zhang resided.

Backed into a corner, Liu Zhang asked for reinforcements from Zhang Lu, who was his enemy. Zhang Lu agreed to Liu Zhang's request and sent Ma Chao.

With Ma Chao gone, Liu Zhang had no hope of defeating Liu Bei and was forced to surrender.

Thank you for your hard work, everyone. It it extremely regretful that we lost our Warlord, Pang Tong. But since we were able to conquer shu, we now have as much power as Cao Cao and Sun Quan.

in no condition to match Cao Cao and Sun Quan. We must place our priority on domestic affairs to make the people content and to build a sufficient army to deal with Cao Cao.

We should arrange reinforcements for Jing and in the meantime, build up our strength.

I understand. Guan Yu, please take good care of Jing.

With this we start to actually get into game play...kind of. After that story setup we enter the council session of game play. I'll let Guan Yu explain how it works.

The council is about to begin. Beforehand, I will explain what it is about. The Council takes place every three months, in January, April, Juy and October. At the start of council, we decide our war and tactics Strategy. If you have anything to say, speak up. Once we have determined our strategy, we move on to choosing duty officers for domestic Works. Those chosen for this task should do their best to complete the work by the next council. Let us do work! Let us make war! Those who achieve remarkable feats will be rewarded. That is the end of the explanation.

Guan Yu is the big boy in this court because of his rank. Guan Yu starts as a Viceroy in this scenario, which is the second highest office in the game. As a Viceroy he rules the entire province of Jing, which contains five cities, and directly rules the city of Jiang Ling. During his strategy session Guan Yu can make policies for the cities in his province as well as order any of the officers in the Province to perform specific tasks. Since Liu Bei is the ruler of Shu he is the only person well have to answer to, and he can give us goals we have to meet.

This is the actual screen for sending orders. Looking under the Guan Yu portrait to the left we see two important numbers. AP is our action points. When Guan Yu undertakes an action himself it uses a certain amount of AP. You use AP in the life simulation portion of the game which follows the council, so draining them all now means Guan Yu can't do anything for the month of July. The second number is our CP. These are called "Strategy Points" for some reason, rather than the obvious Command Points. Each CP represents an order our character can make as a high ranking officer, or suggestions we can make if we were a low ranked officer.

To start I select Policy. This menu allows us to send goals to the cities in our province to achieve until the next council session.

This screen allows us to select the city in our province we wich to set a Policy for. All the cities are currently in "Delegate" mode, which lets the cities decide their own policy. But we can't have that so we select Jiang Xia.

We choose Domestic as the policy focus which allows us to order the city to make inprovements to one of its four main stats. Cultivate improves the harvest yeild of the city every year, giving you more supplies to support more troop. Invest increases market activity, and thus taxable revenue, giving you more money each time taxes are levied. Research increases the total research points of the nation; the higher the total points the more troop types and equipment you can call upon. Finally, Repair fixes the city walls, increasing its hitpoints in seige battle sequences. Selecting any Task automatically determines an amount for that Task the city must complete. The more Tasks you select the lower the target for each Task, meaning the improvements come slower.

This is the final spread I choose for Jiang Xia, as well as the other city I have on the front, Chang Sha. For Wu Ling, Gui Yang, and Ling Ling, the cities in the interior, I order them to Support. Support orders the city to send a shipment of gold to the target city. This allows them to afford more troops and equipment. Once the final city is given its order we are out of CP and so end this council session is over. No one offers any suggestion so now we go onto assign the work of our city's officers.

Now is the time to assign work. Any suggestions?

We can automatically assign work but for now we will manually decide what each officer will be assigned to. The only new trait here is the Safety trait which is raised by the Patrol action. Safety represents how much banditry and unrest exists in a city. If it gets too low your city can be beset by bandit raiders which you will have to disperse.

These are our work orders for the month. Guan Yu then rattles off the assignments and the officers make comments that can clue you into whether they are happy with their assignment or not. After that the game cuts to the Life Simulator portion of the game, which we will get into in the next update.

SpecialK800 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 7, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like the evens better than the odds. This doesn't look like you can just be an officer and wander around doing your own thing like in X?

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012
You can remain a free officer and wander the land, but there is less to do as a wandering officer in 8 than in 10. In many ways 10 plays more like an RPG than 8. Whether that makes it better is a different matter.

Edit: Also, the game will probably look more like 10 in the next part of the game, rather than these council sessions. This is where it is most like a strategy game.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Are there preferences related to their stats at all? ie will your great farmer be mad if you assign him to invest, or?

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012
When you assign officers to jobs they don't want/are bad at it can have a negative effect on your relationship with them. It snowballs when they do a bad job and you yell at them for it. It can be kind of funny, actually.

Officers also have a loyalty rating to the faction. When you assign them to a job they suck at and chastise them for doing a bad job their loyalty can be lowered. Doing it over and over can lead to an officer betraying the faction or retiring from service.

SpecialK800 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 23, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I wish they'd bring the translated 8/10 games over to the PC instead of the "other type" :argh:

I've played 10 a bunch but never seen 8 much so this should be interesting. Biggest beef with 10s "RPG" aspect is probably the repetitive grinding (Upgrade farms! Train troops! Sounds good on paper, but oh boy), and the lovely AI that loves to give out non-sensical orders that send you across half of China on some fools errand when there's an army about to bash down the door on your faction's only city.

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012
The repetitive grinding for improving your city/army is still in 8, but it's a bit easier to handle because it doesn't do the day-by-day thing. In 8 you're ability to do things in a month is limited by AP, rather than taking a set number of days. It makes the grinding aspect go a bit quicker since you aren't waiting for the computer to "simulate" each day.

I also wish the different games got their PC versions localized, but honestly it only makes 9 any better to play. The addition of a mouse makes strategy heavy games better, but these RPG style games just as cumbersome to play because of all the menus we'll be seeing in the next update. As an aside our first glimpse of the life simulator will be up tomorrow. Sadly it's not very exciting, but after the first season or two the game will become more interesting.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Looking forward to seeing how much of this I can actually remember... although I suspect a goon-run Shu might differ quite a bit from both history and the novel. I'm not sure if it will lead to more or less cannibalism, however :v:

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012

vilkacis posted:

I'm not sure if it will lead to more or less cannibalism, however :v:

:ssh: Don't look to closely at the meat. I promise it's mostly cattle...mostly.

But if it really worries you, there's always our vegetarian options.

SpecialK800 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 24, 2014

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not too picky, as long as there aren't any pubes in the dumplings.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pimpmust posted:

I wish they'd bring the translated 8/10 games over to the PC instead of the "other type" :argh:

I've played 10 a bunch but never seen 8 much so this should be interesting. Biggest beef with 10s "RPG" aspect is probably the repetitive grinding (Upgrade farms! Train troops! Sounds good on paper, but oh boy), and the lovely AI that loves to give out non-sensical orders that send you across half of China on some fools errand when there's an army about to bash down the door on your faction's only city.
I had a perfect character take over a southern province far from the big guys. I frantically built up a force of seven half-strength units before some major power from the north marched nearly 200000 soldiers for 50 days to invade me, ignoring six other provinces. I started a civil war and invaded the other half of my ruler's territory as thanks for promoting me so often.

I enjoyed a campaign where I was on a western province and defended it from a nearby force 8 times my size, because I spent all the money making traps, and was eventually saved by a huge army my ruler sent when my units were almost completely wiped out.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 24, 2014

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012
RoTK 7, 8, and 10 do give you the opportunity for some awesome anecdotes. My favorite story, though, was playing as Guan Yu, generally being a bad rear end for Shu, when my Prefect goes off to invade another city without me. So when the AI chooses his successor in my home city Liu Bei chooses...Wang Can. An officer whose total sum of stats is still lower than Guan Yu's POL stat. I immediately retired from Shu, joined Wei, captured the city, and executed Wang Can.:black101:

I still didn't become Prefect...

SpecialK800 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 30, 2014

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The most hilarious part is that you did it as Guan Yu of all people.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SpecialK800 posted:

RotK 7, 8, and 10 do give you the opportunity for some awesome anecdotes. My favorite story, though, was playing as Guan Yu, generally being a bad rear end for Shu, when my Prefect goes off to invade another city without me. So when the AI chooses his successor in my home city Liu Bei chooses...Wang Can. An officer whose total sum of stats is still lower than Guan Yu's POL stat. I immediately retired from Shu, joined Wei, captured the city, and executed Wang Can.:black101:

I still didn't become Prefect...

Some Brother you are!

Anyway, I've always loved the RoTK games and setting since I first played Destiny of an Emperor on the NES, so I'm looking forward to seeing this LP.

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012
Update 1-2: Out in the Fields

This is the main interface for the Life Simulator portions of RoTK8. As is the case for any part of this game, you control everything via menus. On the right you can see the various parts of the city we can interact with. The Gate allows us to leave our current city and visit other cities, as well as repair the city walls to improve the city's HP in siege battles. The Fields allow us to cultivate the land and improve our harvest yields. The Castle allows us to talk with other officers in the city. The Barracks allow us to train Guan Yu's tactics, which are skills he can use in battle. The Tavern allows us to talk to neutral officers in the town and attempt to recruit them. The Inn isn't important for us and won't be talked about until a much later update. The Tower allows us to patrol the city and improve safety. The Factory and the Market are like the Fields, but for Research and Invest respectively. The Market also allows us to buy and sell food, and to purchase special items if a Merchant is present in the city. Home allows us to train our stats, host a banquet, or retire from our faction. The final choice is Townsman which allows us to talk to people around the town who may have important tips to share or may trigger special events.

If you look closely at the shot of the city above you might notice this little group of people next to a sign. The city background isn't static; the various sprites move around in three or four frame animations and the different sprites can change. When you see this sprite it is a sign that a special event in the Townsman option is available.

Under Townsman is this option for "Official." The various other people are unimportant right now. Scrolling through the options moves a little cursor on the city image so we can tell which sprite we're selecting. Official selects the little group of people I pointed out earlier.

We can fell safe in our city

Thanks to that little sprite we gained a nice bit of Fame. The higher your fame the more people know you for good deeds. Having a high fame can lead to officers and towns people giving you gifts. It also makes introducing yourself to neutral officers easier and makes recruiting them easier as well. There is a hidden Infamy stat which works in reverse, making you more well known for being bad.

Now we need to figure out how to spend our summer season.

Pressing square brings up this handy-dandy facts sheet. It gives us a nice break down of the state of our city. It also serves as a nice short cut to other important lists we might want to check out. But for now we're just interested in our city stats to see where we're needed most. Since this is the first month nothing seems to drastically out of whack that it needs our attention, so I have another plan for how to spend our summer. Before leaving this screen, though, I wanted to point out the Dev stat. Dev, or development, is how close we are to the city expanding. When you expand a city in RotK8 it raises the maximum level any of the other stats can reach. Dev rises as you raise the other base stats. So the more work we pump into the city the better the city can become.

Let's take a look at Guan Yu's stats. A character's stats are divided into four Ability categories. War is how strong the character is in combat and effects the damage their units can put out in battle as well as how strong the character is in duels. Intelligence effects the ability of the character to use certain tactics in battles, as well as boosting the officer's effectiveness at Research and Repair. Politics effects the character's ability to pull off certain strategy actions during the council sessions, as well as increasing their effectiveness at the Invest activity. High POL characters also get better rates from merchants, and so can buy and sell supplies at more favorable rates. Charisma gives boosts to characters when they try to recruit neutral officers, when they recruit soldiers, and certain council session activities. CHA also boosts a character's effectiveness at Cultivating at the Fields. Guan Yu is pretty boss all around, with his lowest stat being POL at 69. Stats can be as low as 0 or as high as 100. His lowest stat is still better than maybe half of the game's officers' best stat.

The second screen show's Guan Yu's skills. Each column relates to a different type of skill. Right now we're only interested in the orange skills, which relate to the work we can do in the city. Guan Yu gets a boost to Invest and Patrol actions due to his Trade and Patrol skills. We can get orange skills by visiting the corresponding city locations enough times.

We start with the Plow ability, which requires us to visit the Fields. Under any facility we have at least two options, one of which is always Observe. Observe allows us to visit that facility to build up Trust with that facility. High Trust boosts the effectiveness of actions at that facility. Trust is exclusive per city, which means building it up here in Jiang Ling will not carry over to any other city.

mad at you.

Selecting Observe causes a towns person related to the facility to give you a helpful tip like this. But Observe also has a chance of triggering different events,

like discovering neutral officers, finding special items, or various other events. Since it is Summer and since we are visiting the Fields there is a chance we can experience the Harvest Festival event.

We're Going to a festival to celebrate the harvest. Will you join us, Lord Guan Yu?

A nice 50 Fame bonus. But when a special event like this occurs it cuts down on the amount of Trust gained from that visit. For the rest of July, August, and September we just keep using all our AP Observing at the Fields. The Harvest Festival can trigger throughout the entire season and can trigger multiple times. This season we get it maybe five or six times. We also get another little event.

Lord Guan Yu. While we were working the fields, we came upon this. We have no use for it, so we'd like to offer it to you.

Why thank you. I will gladly accept your gift.

This time we net a copy of the Warring States. The item is supposed to be a book called the Zhan Guo Ce, which recounts various strategies and political philosophy from the Warring States period in Chinese history. This is a nice time to segue into items in RotK8. Most items merely provide a boost to a stat, but some have special uses and unlock special tactics.

This is Guan Yu's current inventory. Each screen gives you a little run down of what the item is. Red Hare is a horse which allows Guan Yu to successfully retreat from battle with every attempt. Black Dragon is Guan Yu's signature weapon and gives a flat +5 to his Was stat. And Warring States is a book which gives a flat +7 to POL. Guan Yu always starts with Black Dragon, and he starts with Red Hare if the scenario follows the Battle of Guan Du.

We continue to spend AP on Observe at the Fields but don't get Plow. To get the skill associated with a facility you must observe at a facility you have max trust with, and even then the odds are relatively low you will get it. Trust with the Fields started at 0 and trust for any facility maxes at 30. Each observe give us 2 Trust unless an event occurs. We didn't reach max trust with the Fields until September, so our odds were pretty low for getting Plow this season.

Once you rest to end a month on the last month of a season a series of pop ups shows events that are occurring around all of China.

The first pop up we get tells us safety has fallen low enough somewhere for bandit raider to appear. The second is a map with helpful little icons showing which cities

now have bandits. In this case it is two neighboring cities belonging to Wei and Wu. In Shu it appears we keep our cities safe. For this season no other events

cropped up, but natural disasters, extra bountiful harvests, or even plagues of locusts could possibly appear as events like these bandits.

After the event pop ups we are brought back to the council session screen and can make our strategic plans for the next three months.

SpecialK800 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 30, 2014

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Huh, I was sure Guan Yu's weapon was supposed to be green, or possibly blue, dragon.

The character and event artwork is really nice. I dig the painting-y look.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

vilkacis posted:

Huh, I was sure Guan Yu's weapon was supposed to be green, or possibly blue, dragon.

Yeah it is. Koei's misspelled it a couple times though, they also mistranslated it as black in Kessen 2.

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012

vilkacis posted:

The character and event artwork is really nice. I dig the painting-y look.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Yeah it is. Koei's misspelled it a couple times though, they also mistranslated it as black in Kessen 2.

So the translation is both right and wrong. See, depending on who you ask Guan Yu's blade is either the Black Dragon, Blue Dragon, or Green Dragon due to the nature of translating traditional Chinese characters. C.H. Brewitt-Taylor, who produced the 1925 translation, relates the passage where Guan Yu receives the sword as:

Brewitt-Taylor posted:

Yun-ch'ang (Guan Yu) fashioned a long-handled, curved blade called "Black Dragon" or "Cold Beauty," which weighed a full hundredweight

The name in Chinese is 青龍偃月刀 (qīng lóng yǎn yuè dāo in pinyin). The 青 qīng is the character in question, which generally refers to a greenish blue color, but can mean either "green" or "blue" depending on the time period of the writing. In line with the time period the Sān Guó Yǎn Yì it would be most accurate to say it means "Green" and so would be Green Dragon, though Blue Dragon isn't technically wrong.

The reason Brewitt-Taylor used "Black"? Likely it's because the character was often used in classical Chinese texts to mean "Black." And still today it means black in certain contexts (like when referring to hair or cloth colors).

The "Cold Beauty" name is another matter as well. This second name is 冷艷鋸 (lěng yàn jù) and can be translated as Fair (like a maiden) Frost Blade. Brewitt-Taylor simply used a more poetic way to translate the name, which is a common practice in his translation. The name apparently comes from blood freezing on the blade and forming a layer of frost when Guan Yu fought in the snow. What anecdote this is referring to...:iiam:

The sad apart about all this? It likely never existed. Historical texts of the Three Kingdoms period, including Sānguó Zhì (Records of the Three Kingdoms), do not include any reference to the weapon. And the style of blade described in the novel wasn't generally used, and likely barely existed at all, before the Song Dynasty. Though because of the weapon's legendary status and association with Guan Yu, who is probably the most famous hero in the entire novel, the folklore tradition is that Guan Yu invented the style of weapon himself.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ooh, an ROTK LP. I never got into them, but I love the hell out of Dynasty Warriors, and owe my interest in Chinese history to them.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

SpecialK800 posted:

The reason Brewitt-Taylor used "Black"? Likely it's because the character was often used in classical Chinese texts to mean "Black."

:psyduck:

Very interesting stuff, though!

quote:

The sad apart about all this? It likely never existed.

Well that's just crazy talk. I guess next you'll be telling me Arthur didn't really pull a magic sword out of a rock or something.

SirPhoebos posted:

BENEVOLENCE!

Holy poo poo that is the best avatar.

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Well that's just crazy talk. I guess next you'll be telling me Arthur didn't really pull a magic sword out of a rock or something.

The difference with Green Dragon is there is a "Green Dragon Blade" purported to be Guan Yu's weapon on display at a the Purple Cloud Temple in China.

I don't know of anyone who claims to have Excalibur, or even that the Arthur of legend matches any historical figure. Still, there are a lot of crazies out there; just because I've never heard them doesn't mean they don't exist.

And I also love that avatar. It explains so well when Liu Shan was such a terrible successful heir to the Shu throne.

SpecialK800 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 24, 2014

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Man, if you were just some average general, that +7 to POL would be awesome. But since you're Guan Yu, it's just another piece of your panoply of awesome.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

vilkacis posted:

You should come hang out in the warriors thread in games. We're cool people.

Funnily enough, Jade planned on a ROTK X lp at some vague point in the future. But that had more to do with the officer creation system. It's nice to see the predecessors to that game though, as I've only put probably a sum total of a year of my life into ROTK X (And still play it time to time.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

SpecialK800 posted:

The difference with Green Dragon is there is a "Green Dragon Blade" purported to be Guan Yu's weapon on display at a the Purple Cloud Temple in China.

I'm sure that claim is slightly more believable than one about Excalibur. :v:

Drakenel posted:

You should come hang out in the warriors thread in games. We're cool people.

I poke my head in there occasionally, but don't tend to have much to add to the discussion. I did see the video SirPhoebos' avatar is from somewhere in there, though!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Incidentally, I do love Phoebos' anecdotes about how Shu actually were kind of a bunch of dicks. It'd be fun alongside us playing as the totally honorable Guan Yu if neither he or the OP mind.

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Incidentally, I do love Phoebos' anecdotes about how Shu actually were kind of a bunch of dicks. It'd be fun alongside us playing as the totally honorable Guan Yu if neither he or the OP mind.

I certainly don't mind. But trust me when I say I do have some plans to talk about how Shu was in reality, versus how they are portrayed in the novel.

Incidentally, the first of the supplemental updates about the history of the Three Kingdoms will be up on Sunday. Which leads me to the planned update schedule. Expect updates on Wednesday and Friday and supplemental updates on Sundays. I might make updates more frequent since I have no life and, for now, no job...so downtime...yeah

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Can never have too many RotK LPs.

Can't even remember if I ever actually finished the novel. I know (and regret) reading Journey to the West cover to cover (skipping the poems).

Also need to read Water Margin.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Playing as the Fictional War God in the History of Betrayal Kingdom.

Mind if I go into some of the historical equivalent of the scenario's intro, or is that what's going into the first supplemental update? Things like Ma Chao and Zhuge Liang's actual involvement in the capture of Yi.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

vilkacis posted:

I'm not that familiar with the source material - is that Liu Bei football-spiking his heir?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Xander77 posted:

I'm not that familiar with the source material - is that Liu Bei football-spiking his heir?

It is, and also I'm pretty sure it is literally a thing that happens.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He is using both hands to hold him, possibly shaking off the dust. So that blanket is stiff as hell.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

It is, and also I'm pretty sure it is literally a thing that happens.

After the battle of Chang Ban, where Zhao Yun charged through the Wei army (killing something like 9 officers, stealing 6 standards and a bitchin sword from Cao Cao's personal attendant) to retrieve the "young master" Liu Bei literally tosses the baby aside saying that he can always make more heir's but only has one Zhao Yun.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's the most hilarious loving thing.

:zoro:: My lord, I have spent the past 10 pages performing death-defying stunts with a baby strapped to my chest, battling my way through Cao Cao's entire army in order to return your-

:mad::

Liu Bei. Father of the year, every year since whenever the gently caress this took place.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've read the story and am currently watching the series the gif was taken from (even though the Lu Bu-Daochan soap opera was hard to get through). I'm just not familiar with "Benevolence" or that particular depiction of Liu Bei.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 25, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Benevolence" is mostly from Dynasty Warriors 8 (and maybe some others, I've only played 8) where every single Shu cutscene is BENEVOLENCE.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sindai posted:

"Benevolence" is mostly from Dynasty Warriors 8 (and maybe some others, I've only played 8) where every single Shu cutscene is BENEVOLENCE.

"Benevolence" whether you like it or not is kind of Shu's thing. At least in Dynasty warriors.

I must admit from what little I have read it seems as if Liu bei getting stabbed and someone actually competent taking over may have been a good idea for Shu. Instead they apparently got stuck with someone who had all the political and tactical acumen of a son he threw on the floor.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

*twitch*

(If you've played Analogue - A Hate story, you'll know why)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Veloxyll posted:

*twitch*

(If you've played Analogue - A Hate story, you'll know why)
Yes, this is the original.
Luo Guanzhong wrote the novels to paint Liu Bei (and Shu in general) as the great ideal of his variant of Confucianism.
Joseon Korea was based on that Confucianism. And the Mugunghwa revolution was based on the Joseon period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

Sindai posted:

It came into full force with 7, as far as I'm aware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_DB-WhbR4

My friend and I were going to make a drinking game out of it for 8 but nothing ever came of it. Online play in 8 can be a little...frustrating.

• Locked thread