Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
There seem to be 631 officers, which seems kind of low to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

You only need something north of... 20-30, as you don't keep your rear-line cities entirely staffed. Basically you need an elite core to lead your big army on offensives, a couple of defensive guys to staff out the front-line cities and a couple of administrators to handle the rest of the empire, transfers and the like.

More is always nice to have though.

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012

mkwong98 posted:

Which city do the released officers go to? Their home city are captured.

They go to the nearest city belonged to their force, like officers that escape from being captured in battle. That means, in theory, the battle for our next target could include most of the same officers we just beat.

Pimpmust posted:

You only need something north of... 20-30, as you don't keep your rear-line cities entirely staffed. Basically you need an elite core to lead your big army on offensives, a couple of defensive guys to staff out the front-line cities and a couple of administrators to handle the rest of the empire, transfers and the like.

More is always nice to have though.

You're absolutely right, but we only have access to so many officers within our region and there is always the looming threat of a Wu betrayal. We start spreading what we have too thin or focus too many officers against Cao Cao and Sun Quan comes looking to take Jing from us by force.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a cost to having too many officers? Do they have living expenses / do you have to micro them?

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Beijing is clearly the 4th rome

As the local True Roman, I take offence to that.

SpecialK800 posted:

Whether the 3rd Century Crisis was the darkest days of the Roman Empire is a matter of perspective. The Empire would continue for around another 200 years in the West and for over a millennium in the East (depending on your interpretation of "continue" and your views on the Byzantines). While the Crisis was a horrific time, that doesn't make it the darkest time. Personally I don't believe there is a "darkest time" in a nation's history because the burdens and pains of the people of a nation are all unique. I'm sure Hannibal's success at Cannae was seen as the "darkest times" for some Romans, as the threat to their very existence seemed to march freely around Italy unimpeded by the existing authority. The Civil War and end of the Republic were probably the darkest times for other Romans, as their entire scheme of governance seemed unequal to the task of overcoming the ambitions of a tyrant. The lowest point for the Roman Empire might have been the Year of Five Emperors in 193 where the imperial throne literally passed to two emperors and saw three claimants challenge them in civil war in the same year, bringing a miserable end to the 2nd Century which had been a real high point in history of the Empire. And that leads into the 3rd Century Crisis, which itself can be seen as the lowest point. My only point was the Empire was in decline, but far from dead at the time the Three Kingdoms period came to a close. Maybe I was hyperbolic and to whatever extant I was flat out wrong, but I wasn't aiming to sit and discuss the history of the decline of the Roman Empire, I just wanted to say Rome went on while the Han collapsed and the Three Kingdoms occurred.

Indeed. Rome suffered many dark days and endured them. It is a testament to the Strength of Rome that it survived trials which saw the end of other Empires.

For fun, there was in 2010 a series of comparative studies of the Roman and Han Empires by Walter Scheidel were published. Very interesting material.

SpecialK800
Nov 17, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Is there a cost to having too many officers? Do they have living expenses / do you have to micro them?

All officers take a stipend, based on their rank, from their home city. When they are assigned work they receive even more money to do the work they are assigned. So having too many officers who are useless can be costly, but if you spread them around the cost is absorbed across all the cities. We'll receive more officers from Liu Bei transferring them into our region which can become costly, but we'll repay the favor by dumping off useless officers when we have no need for them on Liu Bei's region. The other major problem is if you don't assign them work and their wages aren't paid, the officers will slowly lose loyalty and become a spy liability.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Now, the question is, can you play as Lu Bu and end the game by murdering every officer in China? Depopulate all the cities?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Rockopolis posted:

Now, the question is, can you play as Lu Bu and end the game by murdering every officer in China? Depopulate all the cities?

You couldn't win by murdering every officer because you need a few of your own to command army units. However you could kill every officer you capture, I know I've done that in playthroughs before. You can't depopulate cities from what I remember the worst would be leaving them with no administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So we just have two cities to manage right now? Or do we only manage one city and the people we left behind auto-manage the other one?

• Locked thread