Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the culminator
Oct 29, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

Aren't Central American gangs supposed to somehow be even worse than Mexico's?

A year or two ago there was an article listing the cities with the highest murder rate and literally 3/4 was mexican/central american/brazilian cities.

Found it
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-violent-cities-in-the-world-2013-11?op=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

"Express kidnappings can be common as well

How convenient!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

Forty-one of the top 50 dangerous cities are located in Latin America

The old gods still reside in the land and they demand their blood sacrifice

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Do the cartels have like an unspoken agreement to leave rich white tourists alone if they stay confined to resort areas?

I really want to visit Cancun. :(

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Tampico city represent! poo poo gets crazy over here from time to time. Like, we have a couple of months with shootings and dead dudes all over the three towns (Tampico,Ciudad Madero and Altamira), then everything is calm and it's just fifteen year old girls getting snatched away for prostitution and hosed up poo poo, then we get back to massive killings and so on.

I'm running the gently caress away to the South once I finish the Uni, then I seriously wanna run to somewhere else far far away. I don't care if I'm 60 by then, at least let me die in a less hosed up place.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DB mexicans are always welcome in america :911:

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Muttonchips posted:

Do the cartels have like an unspoken agreement to leave rich white tourists alone if they stay confined to resort areas?

Like I said before, it's not that bad. Mexico it's a big country, there are a lot of "safe zones" (even in cartel controlled areas). If you take your usual tourist standard precautions you'll have a great time.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

is the yucatan peninsula safe because i have a long standing fantasy of going to see some mayan stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

and also feeling good about my relative prosperity compared to the mayans that are still around

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Fandyien posted:

is the yucatan peninsula safe because i have a long standing fantasy of going to see some mayan stuff

The whole south is far safer, I went to Chiapas last winter and there were lots of tourists being tourists. Just don't go around showing your expensive cameras and cellphones.

:v: Also, there was a narco message left in my uni this morning. I was in a hurry and didn't notice...oh welp!

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Muttonchips posted:

Are the cartels invested in the tourism business at all? Maybe they try to keep most of the violence and terror out of the tourist areas, bad for business.

It's crazy how much Mexico has changed in a couple decades. You used to be able to go there no worries and buy tons of cheap booze, prescription drugs, jewelry, Cuban cigars, all sorts cool stuff. You could haggle for everything and the food was good. poo poo, my grandparents used to go on Airstream RV convoys way down into Mexico that would last for weeks in the 80s, they talk about how chill and nice most people were.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

The toughest chicken.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

also mexican spanish is like impossible to understand. im trying to learn and when i watch things online i can understand spaniard spanish and like argentinian spanish but mexican is all just "chingado this" and "chingado that" and it's so hard to follow

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Fandyien posted:

also mexican spanish is like impossible to understand. im trying to learn and when i watch things online i can understand spaniard spanish and like argentinian spanish but mexican is all just "chingado this" and "chingado that" and it's so hard to follow

Iche,iche, te va a salir un tutupiche por ser tan shoto.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

poo poo really went off the rails in mexico after the president got macho man savage on the cartels and the cartels were like lol we are waaaay more violent than you and then demonstrated just that

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Fandyien posted:

Yucatn peninsula its fuckin' beautiful. The capital city of Mrida is considered the safest city on the country, and there's not a lot of violence reports in the area.

quote:

Iche,iche, te va a salir un tutupiche por ser tan shoto.
I'm also from northern Mexico and I don't know what any of this mean.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 23, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Fandyien posted:

are you kidding, mexican spanish is the easiest besides peruvian

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Its hosed up how they get kids to join cartels, they will come murder your parents in front of you, and then say the other cartel did it, you should get vengeance.....

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Desperado Bones posted:

The whole south is far safer, I went to Chiapas last winter and there were lots of tourists being tourists. Just don't go around showing your expensive cameras and cellphones.

:v: Also, there was a narco message left in my uni this morning. I was in a hurry and didn't notice...oh welp!

yea chiapas seems p chill loooooool

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lencho posted:

Yucatn peninsula its fuckin' beautiful. The capital city of Mrida is considered the safest city on the country, and there's not a lot of violence reports in the area.

if i can ever afford a vacation that is gonna top my list then because i wanna check out some cenotes and step pyramids and poo poo. i hear mexicans in southern mexico treat guatemalans and poo poo the same way racist texans treat fence jumpers is that true

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

LifeSizePotato posted:

are you kidding, mexican spanish is the easiest besides peruvian

it might just be taht i tried to watch like mexican simpsons and some telenovelas and they talk fast and colloquially and the other spanish i've been exposed to was in a pedagogical context

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

fyodor posted:

Just don't go around showing your expensive cameras and cellphones.

Locals will tell you to don't go around alone, or you'll get your poo poo stolen and maybe will know how a machete feels. South Mexico is all about machetes.

Edit: Tabasco is getting slowly in to narco violence, just so you know. People just don't talk. Same with Tamaulipas, poo poo is crazy, people just don't say a word and pretend nothing happened.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i guess "far safer" is very relative to outright hellscape

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Desperado Bones posted:

Locals will tell you to don't go around alone, or you'll get your poo poo stolen and maybe will know how a machete feels. South Mexico is all about machetes.

Edit: Tabasco is getting slowly in to narco violence, just so you know. People just don't talk. Same with Tamaulipas, poo poo is crazy, people just don't say a word and pretend nothing happened.
I think I'll stick to Disneyland.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Fandyien posted:

if i can ever afford a vacation that is gonna top my list then because i wanna check out some cenotes and step pyramids and poo poo. i hear mexicans in southern mexico treat guatemalans and poo poo the same way racist texans treat fence jumpers is that true

Northern mexicans treat southern mexicans like racists texans treats mojados, so yeah.

Desperado Bones posted:

Sound advice. Also, machetes are the poo poo.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i live in a very generic east coast city and tahts the same advice you'd give someone for walking around downtown only w/ machetes replaced with handguns. though earlier this month someone attacked people randomly with a "mallet like object"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

well chicago and juarez have a number of similarities, it is true

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Fandyien posted:

it might just be taht i tried to watch like mexican simpsons and some telenovelas and they talk fast and colloquially and the other spanish i've been exposed to was in a pedagogical context

i think i tried to find a mexican simpsons clip on youtube but they're all sped up for some reason, which might be part of it. but i think mexican spanish is the best to learn because a. it's the north american "standard" you'll get the most mileage out of, and b. they pronounce everything properly for the most part (obviously there are a million mexican dialects but proper univision mex is what i mean)

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Fandyien posted:

i live in a very generic east coast city and tahts the same advice you'd give someone for walking around downtown only w/ machetes replaced with handguns. though earlier this month someone attacked people randomly with a "mallet like object"

That's exactly my point! If you take your precautions you can have a great time even in a cartel infested hellhole without an issue.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

Zzulu posted:

man you dont have to google very far to get stuff like this;

"Mexican Cartel Beheads 4 Women In Message To America"

Mexico is basically run by the non religious version of isis lol

Of course i watched the video. Why did i watch the video

If it makes you feel any better that video was not a message to America, and those women (while not deserving such a fate) were members of a rival cartel.

Also what makes you think they are non religious? Ain't you ever heard of Jess Malverde the narco saint?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

LifeSizePotato posted:

i think i tried to find a mexican simpsons clip on youtube but they're all sped up for some reason, which might be part of it. but i think mexican spanish is the best to learn because a. it's the north american "standard" you'll get the most mileage out of, and b. they pronounce everything properly for the most part (obviously there are a million mexican dialects but proper univision mex is what i mean)

for real do you have any advice about things i might be able to watch because ive taken like 8 years of spanish so i theoretically know how to be conversant in it but then when it comes down to it i forget everything cus i don't have it all instinctually memorized

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

HarlanHell posted:

If it makes you feel any better that video was not a message to America, and those women (while not deserving such a fate) were members of a rival cartel.

Also what makes you think they are non religious? Ain't you ever heard of Jess Malverde the narco saint?

yah i was gonna say i do not think that narcos sending a message to america is v good business sense

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Fandyien posted:

for real do you have any advice about things i might be able to watch because ive taken like 8 years of spanish so i theoretically know how to be conversant in it but then when it comes down to it i forget everything cus i don't have it all instinctually memorized

Mexican dubbed movies and non comedic shows are pretty neutral, I would try with that.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

also i just wanna say i hate the way you guys do the imperfect tense

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
mexico is where I want to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzNJZQm6Q1Q

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
All hail Santa Muerte.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fyodor posted:

Lol, this isn't even near accurate

Like 99% of the drug crime is never reported, because police are working or under control of cartels

Source - my cousin is a policeman, and my eyes

Someone in my family got hosed by a cartel business and our police officer family member warned us to not even think about reporting the threats

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Fandyien posted:

it seems like the news and soaps should be pretty easy to follow tbh, but they're also pretty boring and annoying to watch. unfortunately the only actual way to get good at a language is speaking it with natives. :shobon:

dubbed material you're already familiar with that doesn't use funny voices is probably also a good way to go.

edit: actually this simpsons isn't sped up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HbS5_CzQt8

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 23, 2014

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Also anime. I know, I know. But really, mexican dubs are legendary in latin american countries (just don't ask any spaniard about dubs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

Lol, this isn't even near accurate

Like 99% of the drug crime is never reported, because police are working or under control of cartels

Source - my cousin is a policeman, and my eyes

Someone in my family got hosed by a cartel business and our police officer family member warned us to not even think about reporting the threats

Yeah, hahaha. I was wondering what year this map was from and why was Tamaulipas in a pretty pink color, but then we have the gobernador claiming that nothing is happening over here, that everyone is being hysterical, and that you all gringos should come over here during spring break (please,no. Don't come.)

• Locked thread