Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

If I have 2 credit cards with chips, and they're both in my wallet, and I hold my wallet up to the reader...does the reader let me choose what card I want to use?

Wondering if the readers freak out when encountered with 2 chips at the same time, basically.

This is actually an NFC question, not a chip-and-pin question, but basically it depends on the reader. It's pretty unlikely that you're going to get to select between the two - far more likely is that either you will get nothing (collision issue) or the closer/stronger signaled chip will win (anti-collision protocols worked properly.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Kalman posted:

This is actually an NFC question, not a chip-and-pin question, but basically it depends on the reader. It's pretty unlikely that you're going to get to select between the two - far more likely is that either you will get nothing (collision issue) or the closer/stronger signaled chip will win (anti-collision protocols worked properly.)

This man/lady is correct. The only thing worth adding is that a contact chip is not the same as a contactless chip. You can't actually see the contactless chip - it and its antenna are embedded inside the plastic. The contact chip is the exposed integrated circuit visible on card stock. A card can easily have a contact chip but no contactless chip (Chase Sapphire) or a contactless chip but no contact chip (legacy Chase Freedom).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I'd add that technically it may not be signal-based, it'll depend on the anti-collision protocol being employed (there are several which may be used depending on the flavor of NFC employed) so sometimes a weaker signal will win.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
I've heard a lot about chip + PIN, is NFC + PIN a thing?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Kalman posted:

Is this really the case? In Tokyo I have two credit cards in my wallet, both with FeliCa chips. When I pay for something at a convenience store, I select which I want to use on the POS terminal, then put my whole wallet on the reader, and voila. I realize FeliCa is a tad different from NFC but the technology certainly exists.

For what it's worth I think Apple lost a huge opportunity by not putting FeliCa chips (rather than NFC) in their Japanese market iPhones. This is a really big advantage that Android has here.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Like I said, it depends on the reader. They certainly can do multiple reads but there's no mechanism (including in FeliCa) for doing any sort of selection without reading everything individually.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Pissingintowind posted:

Issuers need to build some capabilities to support tokenization - it will take some time to get them on board. Additionally, Interac is huge in Canada. Typically, when Apple builds a product, they try to make its features work for as many people as possible (this is why they waited so long for 3G, LTE, NFC, etc.). It will be interesting to see if they try to get Interac on board with tokenization as well, which would be a serious undertaking.

Can Apple Pay work with networks like Interac using the same EMVCo protocols, or will Apple have to do extensive customization per network?

Would there be extra costs for merchants compared to Interac debit cards?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

suffix posted:

Can Apple Pay work with networks like Interac using the same EMVCo protocols, or will Apple have to do extensive customization per network?

Would there be extra costs for merchants compared to Interac debit cards?

Apple has nothing to do with any of the background payment processing - the have no ability to do the work on behalf of a network. If Interac wants to support EMVCo tokenization, it will have to build the support.

In the US, there is no extra cost for Apple Pay because issuers get enough interchange income from a transaction so that they are able to give Apple a decent cut.

Interac debit cards have extremely cheap interchange. Apple will want a larger slice than Interac is able to give up. This can lead to a few different scenarios:

1. Apple is willing to settle for a smaller cut (unlikely, since Visa and MasterCard acceptance in Canada is quite good and Apple can just work with them)
2. Interac creates a more expensive interchange classification for Apple Pay (possible, but extremely unlikely given that the non-profit Interac would likely have to raise their network pricing in addition to interchange to get the money to build tokenization)
3. Apple Pay doesn't work through the Interac network (either no Interac support at all, or an agreement is struck to allow other networks to process the transactions - the latter is relatively unlikely)

Overall, not a great scenario and one of the examples of how local networks can mess up interoperability. It's much, much worse when the local network or a particular processing scheme is mandated. I think in Canada, the more likely case is that Interac is simply left out.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 28, 2014

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

For what it's worth I think Apple lost a huge opportunity by not putting FeliCa chips (rather than NFC) in their Japanese market iPhones. This is a really big advantage that Android has here.

I believe that FeliCa is cross-compatible with NFC, although we are now leaving the payments world and entering the wireless communications world. As long as the merchant acquirer supports the payment processing message fields and formats that are being sent across the NFC or FeliCa air interface, Apple Pay should work. If you use a US-issued card with contactless at a FeliCa terminal, does it work? If yes, Apple Pay for US-issued cards will work too, and Apple Pay for Japanese cards will work when the Japanese issuers build support for tokenization.

With that said, one could argue that Japan using yet another proprietary Sony standard instead of a globally accepted one like NFC could have caused issues if they weren't cross-compatible. Although seemingly not a problem in this case, proprietary interfaces/standards are another example of why a global solution for Apple Pay will be difficult.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 28, 2014

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

nougatmachine posted:

I answered this question for you earlier in my longer reply :v:

Yes, any standard CVM is available (and sometimes required) with contactless.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Lolcano Eruption posted:

This is a more subjective question, but where do you see the payments industry heading in the next three to five years? Will we (the US) be far enough along so that we would not have to carry individual credit cards everywhere? Everyone is pretty tired of having to carry around multiple cards.

Right now, things are looking pretty bleak; with different stuff like CurrentC, Apple Pay, Google Wallet, each incompatible with one another. Do you think retailers and issuers will be able to cooperate enough to have a single unified solution?

Many small businesses use Square when they're just starting out. I'm sure they are concerned that chip & signature will be mandatory soon. Will Square and it's competitors be updated to allow small-time vendors to continue to accept credit cards once mag stripes get phased out?

3 to 5 years is a very long time in the current payments environment.

Card issuers are typically violently opposed to solutions that get rid of their cards' "individuality." This is why one of the non-negotiable requirements for Apple Pay was to keep the card art for specific cards. Products like Coin, Wallaby, and Plastc have been met with considerable opposition because they don't maintain that differentiation between issuers that allows them to compete. In fact none of them have even launched with a real product - I would not be shocked if they are getting legal threats. At the same time, issuers seem to be open to an Apple-like solution, so we will definitely see some progress in this area. I think the chances of us moving away from plastic except as a fallback domestically are relatively good within 5 years. The major area that will likely be left out is UATs (unattended terminals). These acceptance devices take the longest to upgrade, and include ATMs, AFDs, ticket machines, etc. Globally, the story is different.

I disagree with your "things are looking bleak" assessment, at least on the domestic front. Apple Pay and Google Wallet both use NFC, so I'm not sure what you mean by incompatible. CurrentC seems a bit silly, and most people believe it is more of a lobbying group for lower interchange than an actual threat. Eventually, Apple will probably have to open the secure element/NFC chip on their phone to non-Apple Pay competitors (either voluntarily or through anti-trust), at which point I would be shocked if CurrentC continued down their ridiculous QR code path. Android should theoretically already allow them to do this, so we'll see. However, even if CurrenctC does take off, you can still have one phone with both apps on it, so it's not like you are carrying multiple cards. Also, obligatory :lol: CurrentC only support direct access to your bank account so you don't have to worry about cards with them :lol:

Chip and signature will not be mandatory in the US. There will be a liability shift. What this means is that the party without EMV technology will be responsible for fraud. If the card doesn't have a chip, it's the issuer. If the merchant doesn't have a chip reader, it's the merchant. Square has already promised EMV support, so this is not an issue. Square is actually not an acquirer - they are an aggregator acquired by Chase Paymentech, who already has support for EMV. There is nothing preventing them from enabling EMV aside from dongle cost - in fact, there are already Square-type merchant aggregators that have mPOS devices that work with chip cards: iZettle comes to mind.

Some quick commentary on the international front... Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are all American companies, so we feel comfortable with them domestically. However, many countries do not share this comfort. Notably, China kicked all international brands out of their domestic market and created a monopoly for UnionPay. China actually recently lost a World Trade Organization settlement because of the anti-competitive UnionPay monopoly, and will be forced to open the market soon. In the meantime, at least UnionPay has the scale to actually be able to implement innovation if they so choose to, but there are tons of countries with varying degrees of domestic competitors (sometimes also legally-enforced monopolies) that will prevent standardization of payments globally. For example, Russia recently enacted a mandate to use a nationalized processor for all domestic card transactions. Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Thailand, Taiwan, South Korea, Turkey and many other countries have varying degrees of fuckery that don't allow the American card networks to use their global processing infrastructure for their domestic transactions. Countries like Japan, Australia, Italy, India, Germany, France, Belarus, Canada, and many others also have domestic brands to worry about, some of whom might not have the scale to implement something like tokenization. Basically, in their desire to be "free" from relying on American companies (which has its obvious upsides), countries are sacrificing standardization and making it more difficult to have a single global solution that "just works." The advantage of scale is what allows companies like V/MA/AXP to build technologies like tokenization and to set standards that enable convergence of payments. When you break up that scale, uniform solutions outside of the US become difficult.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 28, 2014

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

I believe that FeliCa is cross-compatible with NFC, although we are now leaving the payments world and entering the wireless communications world. As long as the merchant acquirer supports the payment processing message fields and formats that are being sent across the NFC or FeliCa air interface, Apple Pay should work. If you use a US-issued card with contactless at a FeliCa terminal, does it work? If yes, Apple Pay for US-issued cards will work too, and Apple Pay for Japanese cards will work when the Japanese issuers build support for tokenization.

With that said, one could argue that Japan using yet another proprietary Sony standard instead of a globally accepted one like NFC could have caused issues if they weren't cross-compatible. Although seemingly not a problem in this case, proprietary interfaces/standards are another example of why a global solution for Apple Pay will be difficult.

You are correct that FeliCa is cross compatible with NFC, in that in order to be considered "FeliCa compatible" your phone needs to contain an NFC chip. However my understanding is the reverse is not true -- not all NFC chips are FeliCa compatible, including the NXP-made one used in the iPhone 6 (even in Japan). Apple Pay or FeliCa are not mentioned on the Japanese iPhone specs, just says "NFC." So as far as I know, Japan using a proprietary standard actually IS a problem here. However fairly justified if you ask me -- 88 of the world's busiest 100 train stations are in Japan so there was a massive push since decades ago to get rid of paper ticketing.

I have used a US card with FeliCa but as you say this is more of a discussion of wireless chips than it is payments. The payments side I have seen here is extremely simplistic -- you just top-up your prepaid balance using any old credit/debit card over the existing infrastructure. There are also credit cards which contain a FeliCa chip and they can use auto charge but it is indeed auto-charge rather than paying a given amount for a specific transaction.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

You are correct that FeliCa is cross compatible with NFC, in that in order to be considered "FeliCa compatible" your phone needs to contain an NFC chip. However my understanding is the reverse is not true -- not all NFC chips are FeliCa compatible, including the NXP-made one used in the iPhone 6 (even in Japan). Apple Pay or FeliCa are not mentioned on the Japanese iPhone specs, just says "NFC." So as far as I know, Japan using a proprietary standard actually IS a problem here. However fairly justified if you ask me -- 88 of the world's busiest 100 train stations are in Japan so there was a massive push since decades ago to get rid of paper ticketing.

I have used a US card with FeliCa but as you say this is more of a discussion of wireless chips than it is payments. The payments side I have seen here is extremely simplistic -- you just top-up your prepaid balance using any old credit/debit card over the existing infrastructure. There are also credit cards which contain a FeliCa chip and they can use auto charge but it is indeed auto-charge rather than paying a given amount for a specific transaction.

Very interesting. Do you know why FeliCa was chosen instead of a global standard? Aside from lining Sony's pockets? Also, which US card do you have that has FeliCa support?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

Very interesting. Do you know why FeliCa was chosen instead of a global standard? Aside from lining Sony's pockets? Also, which US card do you have that has FeliCa support?

I'm just pulling from the Japanese wikipedia articles at this point, but was there even a global standard at the time? Felica has been around since 1994, went into heavy use by 1999. Seems the NFC Forum (which Sony was a founding member of) didn't even exist until 2004, by which point they had already shipped a shitload of FeliCa chips for cards and devices within Japan. Apparently they hit 100mio chips shipped by Oct 2005. Sony tried to make Felica the global standard, but failed as there were too many competing standards submitted to ISO.

As I mentioned the payment side in Japan is simple, you basically just top-up your balance using a credit/debit card (any card); you can even use cash to charge. It's basically just a prepaid IC card. Maybe the phrase "US card with Felica" was misdirecting, I just mean I have used my US debit card to charge my Felica. So you could probably use a credit card from anywhere in the world to charge it, provided the transaction goes through. As an aside I am still waiting on my refund because a few weeks back I lost my phone -- including its $150 prepaid Felica balance. This is pretty impossible with Apple Pay right? Because rather than prepaid, for each transaction it's hitting the payment processors directly.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
How hard would it be for stores to set something up so a single Apple Pay activation sends payment and loyalty card/etc info via passbook? Alone Apple Pay vs cc swipe isn't much difference in convenience, but if it could also save extra time with those stupid extra cards it would make me much more inclined to use it.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

How hard would it be for stores to set something up so a single Apple Pay activation sends payment and loyalty card/etc info via passbook? Alone Apple Pay vs cc swipe isn't much difference in convenience, but if it could also save extra time with those stupid extra cards it would make me much more inclined to use it.

I'll use Walgreen's as an example as I've already got their loyalty card in passbook that shows up to be scanned at the register. Then you just tap with the phone to pay, so while it's not what you're envisioning, their implementation is really easy.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

There are a few ways this could go:

1. Loyalty cards and coupons integrated into Passbook: These would need to be scanned by the POS from the iPhone screen like a normal SKU, so not extremely convenient, but they could continue to link to SKU-level products. This is the easiest for merchants to implement.

2. Issuer-linked rewards: These merchant-level rewards are similar to how American Express does their offers (giving a statement credit when certain conditions are met). The downside here is that these types of rewards would not be SKU-level, since that kind of data doesn't exist in a standardized format.

3. Some sort of new integration with Apple Pay over an air interface (NFC or iBeacon BLE): This would likely be the "coolest" and most seamless, but the most complicated to implement. It would require essentially a new product offering ("iRewards?") from Apple. It is not core payment system functionality. With that said, for merchants that want to do it, it should be possible if Apple creates an offering. For example, Softcard has loyalty functionality, although merchant uptake is limited. At launch, one could redeem an NFC activated "coupon" for a free Jamba Juice. It required some level of systems integration work on their POS systems. Additionally, Softcard was on Android, which allows access to the NFC radio, so it was able to create this loyalty offering through it's own application. Anything Apple Pay-related would have to be done by Apple, since the iPhone does not have open access to the NFC radio (yet).

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

nougatmachine posted:

We have this currently with our contactless cards in Australia. I can use my contactless card for just about any amount but anything over $100 requires me to additionally enter a PIN.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Here is something I am not following on the CurrentC scheme, how are they going to authorize and collect the money? It seems like there are three options, extend credit and send it through the ACH which seems unlikely for a number of reasons, get the banks on board to authorize the transaction and then send it through the ACH or another mechanism which, no way in hell is that going to happen, or the most likely is you would have to leave load a credit onto CurrentC through the ACH before your transaction which is very consumer unfriendly considering if they have the ability to do this they also have a credit/debit card, why would you want CurrentC to hold your money instead of your bank? Not so the store can save the swipe fee.

Is there some mechanism to speed a transaction through the ACH within a few seconds? To the best of my knowledge ACH transactions are settled overnight so all of the books add up at the end of the day when all of the banks already roll over all their transactions.

edit: Another question, I have an Android phone with Softcard which obviously has limited bank support, their work around is similar to Google Wallet, free Amex Prepaid card, I keep a zero balance on the pre-paid card seeing as I already have bank and credit accounts, when I pay with my phone it automatically does a instant pull from my debit card, loads the balance onto the pre-paid card then charges the pre-paid card. Obviously less than ideal but functional. Until you get to this part: Amex credits my pre-paid card $1 per NFC transaction over $1, like, I buy a coke at McDonald's for $1+$.08 tax I get a credit for $1 the next day. Same with a vending machine, or buying a soft drink at Walgreens, I'm well over $100 in free money and this keeps going until the end of the year. Who the hell is paying for this? Is Softcard just flushing money down the toilet to try and get an installed base? Surely it's not made up from swipe fees with NFC transactions trending towards the low side, Amex, can't have much skin in this because you need a high-end smartphone and a debit/credit card for this scheme to work which there is basically zero market for those same people to have a pre-paid account. Insanity. I mean I'm happy to take the money, it's literally the only reason I am using Softcard, I still can't come up with any way of rationalizing dumping so much money into a promo like this.

Oh and also I've noticed when I go to a McDonalds and use my card the balance of my pre-paid card shows up on the receipt, is this part of any standard or some sort of weird Amex pre-paid thing? It's fine with a pre-paid card I guess but I wouldn't want this happening with my debit/credit cards, I can't imagine anyone else either. Or really people using pre-paid cards as their quasi-bank account.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 29, 2014

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Well, that was fast:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/29/currentc-email-breach/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is ApplePay / NFC actually faster than a credit card payment, or is that just an illusion since they get rid of the "credit/debit" screen?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

smackfu posted:

Is ApplePay / NFC actually faster than a credit card payment, or is that just an illusion since they get rid of the "credit/debit" screen?

It saves a few seconds at most unless you need to dig through your wallet to find the card you need.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Super Dude posted:

It saves a few seconds at most unless you need to dig through your wallet to find the card you need.

In many cases yes, but then there's the times where the process is more like "oh can I see your ID?," then the cashier fumbles around looking for a pen to sign the receipt, then we both have to wait for the final receipt to print out.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

How is the transition going in general to chip cards in the US? I ask because I've used my chipped credit card many times as a swipe card in machines with chip readers until this afternoon when I swiped it, the cash register poo poo itself, required a manager override and then said insert the chip.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Only one of my cards has a chip, but if I swipe it somewhere with a chip reader it tells me to insert it, then processes the transaction. So if the retailer and the card both have the tech, its worked fine for me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nickutz posted:

Only one of my cards has a chip, but if I swipe it somewhere with a chip reader it tells me to insert it, then processes the transaction. So if the retailer and the card both have the tech, its worked fine for me.

Why would you swipe it if it has a chip?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

PT6A posted:

Force of habit?

I've yet to actually see a chip reader terminal in the wild where I live.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Kobayashi posted:

In many cases yes, but then there's the times where the process is more like "oh can I see your ID?," then the cashier fumbles around looking for a pen to sign the receipt, then we both have to wait for the final receipt to print out.

I haven't had to show my ID in years.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PT6A posted:

Lots of stores have upgraded their hardware but haven't turned on the chip slot yet. I've been stuffing my chip card into every slot I can find and none of them have worked yet.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Here is something I am not following on the CurrentC scheme, how are they going to authorize and collect the money? It seems like there are three options, extend credit and send it through the ACH which seems unlikely for a number of reasons, get the banks on board to authorize the transaction and then send it through the ACH or another mechanism which, no way in hell is that going to happen, or the most likely is you would have to leave load a credit onto CurrentC through the ACH before your transaction which is very consumer unfriendly considering if they have the ability to do this they also have a credit/debit card, why would you want CurrentC to hold your money instead of your bank? Not so the store can save the swipe fee.

ACH is planned for CurrentC. They want you to link your bank account to the app, then they will likely batch everything together and do a single settlement at the end of day.

Three Olives posted:

Is there some mechanism to speed a transaction through the ACH within a few seconds? To the best of my knowledge ACH transactions are settled overnight so all of the books add up at the end of the day when all of the banks already roll over all their transactions.

Some countries have real time ACH equivalents but the US is not one of them. At the same time, it isn't necessary for the transfer to occur in real time for CurrentC to work. Card payments today settle overnight and it's all fine.

Three Olives posted:

edit: Another question, I have an Android phone with Softcard which obviously has limited bank support, their work around is similar to Google Wallet, free Amex Prepaid card, I keep a zero balance on the pre-paid card seeing as I already have bank and credit accounts, when I pay with my phone it automatically does a instant pull from my debit card, loads the balance onto the pre-paid card then charges the pre-paid card. Obviously less than ideal but functional. Until you get to this part: Amex credits my pre-paid card $1 per NFC transaction over $1, like, I buy a coke at McDonald's for $1+$.08 tax I get a credit for $1 the next day. Same with a vending machine, or buying a soft drink at Walgreens, I'm well over $100 in free money and this keeps going until the end of the year. Who the hell is paying for this? Is Softcard just flushing money down the toilet to try and get an installed base? Surely it's not made up from swipe fees with NFC transactions trending towards the low side, Amex, can't have much skin in this because you need a high-end smartphone and a debit/credit card for this scheme to work which there is basically zero market for those same people to have a pre-paid account. Insanity. I mean I'm happy to take the money, it's literally the only reason I am using Softcard, I still can't come up with any way of rationalizing dumping so much money into a promo like this.

Just one of the reasons that Softcard is dysfunctional. It could be American Express paying for it, although it is clearly losing them money in the short term unless your average ticket is over $50 or so. It could also be Softcard itself (Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile) in an effort to build brand loyalty. Either way, it doesn't seem like an effective marketing tactic to me.

Three Olives posted:

Oh and also I've noticed when I go to a McDonalds and use my card the balance of my pre-paid card shows up on the receipt, is this part of any standard or some sort of weird Amex pre-paid thing? It's fine with a pre-paid card I guess but I wouldn't want this happening with my debit/credit cards, I can't imagine anyone else either. Or really people using pre-paid cards as their quasi-bank account.

This is prepaid specific. It's an acquirer functionality, and it should work with V/MA cards as well.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

smackfu posted:

Technically, Apple Pay is slightly slower than a normal card payment. The exchange of the token to the card number adds a few milliseconds of latency :v:

Non-tokenized NFC is the same technically as a regular card-based contactless transaction.

Also, Apple Pay doesn't necessarily get rid of the "credit/debit" screen. Depending on how the merchant is set up, you may still see that.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Super Dude posted:

I haven't had to show my ID in years.

That's because merchants aren't supposed to be asking you for it. It's against the operating regulations of the major networks.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Pissingintowind posted:

That's because merchants aren't supposed to be asking you for it. It's against the operating regulations of the major networks.

So I can tell Marshalls to gently caress off next time I'm trying to buy past season socks?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

So I can tell Marshalls to gently caress off next time I'm trying to buy past season socks?

So technically, they actually can ask you for it. But if you say no, they still have to accept the card purchase as part of their merchant agreement.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

ACH is planned for CurrentC. They want you to link your bank account to the app, then they will likely batch everything together and do a single settlement at the end of day.

Right but at least with a credit card you can authorize and hold the funds before you give the person their stuff, as far as I know if they are just doing a straight ACH debit there is absolutely no assurance the transaction is going to clear.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Pissingintowind posted:

Also, Apple Pay doesn't necessarily get rid of the "credit/debit" screen. Depending on how the merchant is set up, you may still see that.

At Whole Foods in particular Apple Pay does not change that you still get to choose between Debit and Credit at the payment terminal.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Right but at least with a credit card you can authorize and hold the funds before you give the person their stuff, as far as I know if they are just doing a straight ACH debit there is absolutely no assurance the transaction is going to clear.

If you do an ACH the bank will pay the merchant and debit the customer's checking account the transaction amount; overdrafting if the account can't cover the total. The overdraft rules put in place a few years ago only apply to debit cards, not ACH transactions.

So this is even better for merchants who will get their money and avoid cart abandonment by someone whose debit was declined. And even worse for consumers because they'll likely be hit with more overdraft fees.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Werthog 95 posted:

Lots of stores have upgraded their hardware but haven't turned on the chip slot yet. I've been stuffing my chip card into every slot I can find and none of them have worked yet.

There are actually a bunch of people that are more spergs than me about chipped cards that keep track of places you can use it in the US now

Haven't kept up but certain walmarts have terminals that'll accept them

I never shop at walmart so I've never been able to test.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-availability-experiences-q-chip-pin-chip-signature-464.html

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

Also, this post took me almost an hour, so I hope it's helpful!

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out, seriously. I love this thread.

What's up with the different styles of EMV chips?

My credit card has a cool large EMV chip that looks like this one:

But by new debit card has a pathetic looking one like this:

Seems like some have more contacts than others, I presume the extra ones are just unused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mishaq posted:

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out, seriously. I love this thread.

What's up with the different styles of EMV chips?

My credit card has a cool large EMV chip that looks like this one:

But by new debit card has a pathetic looking one like this:

Seems like some have more contacts than others, I presume the extra ones are just unused?

Is one contactless and the other require sliding into a chip reader? If not that, then it may be down to the chip supplier

• Locked thread