Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainButtSmack
Oct 21, 2008
Cuz if you do, you're probably very silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
COMPUTER GAME ARE AN ART LIVE MOVIES OR BOOKS!!!!

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
video games, am i right?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Rapman the Cook posted:

actually not a PC game cause they think PCs are inferior.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
theres a story??

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The blues traveler comes to make a skeleton army and kill the aliens from Halo and fifth element with machine guns and throwing knives so ya. It owns

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Rapman the Cook posted:

these 3d jiggling boobs really say something about our capitalist culture

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
I don't think the story is very good at all, but I mainly just pressed x until I shot all the things

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Destiny is phantasy Star Online w a massive marketing budget

Literally the same game

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Its true, Destiny's story and missions are dumb as gently caress. I cant even call my coop teammates retard douche faggots over voice chat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

theres a story??

You shoot monsters and poo poo. That's it.

It's a beautiful, deep story in its simplicity, and serves as yet another example of games being art.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I love it.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
A lot of shootmans fanboys don't care about stuff like story so long as there's a multiplayer where they can show off how awesome they are by "pwning n00bs" First Person Shooter games have literally devolved into electronic paintball for people too fat to play the real thing

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
what were they before, that they devolved from

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
its bungie, they couldn't even get aiming down the sights right because ahahah

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't make me serious post about grimoire cards

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
can i play multiplayer with a friend who's in the room?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Is that the game where the story is about a guy who stands outside a cave and shoots blindly into the cave while enemies spawn?

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKZ-YW3aLU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

quote:

Does anyone actually -play- Destiny?

also, :gas:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The traveler is some piece of poo poo super AI/intelligence that terraforms and uplifts civilizations then peaces out because someone wants to use that poo poo for evil. Probably seeks out civilizations that need to be uplifted and then could be used to protect it.

It makes it to earth and pretty much dies deku tree style, and spits out a ton of robots that don't know poo poo about poo poo to go revive dead tourists in Russia and make them fight against the other monsters in the solar system.

Some poo poo happened to Jupiter during the golden age and all the humans on those worlds decided to transform into whatever the gently caress XUR is. There's some card talking about the nine warming AIs that left earth and went to the Jovian system. Xur is an agent of the nine. I assume Rasputin Is the tenth, but he stayed because he could do real poo poo.

At the same time, the Awoken were born because of some bullshit with humans probably getting corrupted by light.

Note all the exotics have menacing and evil flavor text. Lots mention being corrupted by light. Patrols are stated that the land is ours and we deserve it. Very... Manifest destiny. You're told what to do and you do it. Lots of... Heavy religious warfare subtext. The sword of Crota is super dark and evil but you wield it effortlessly. It's supposedly made from the hammered out ghosts of dead guardians. The thorn grimoire card is about a dude murdering another guy for no reason other than the dude was asking about his gun. "But you're a guardian! You're supposed to be good!"
"I don't have to be anything" and the dude kills him.

The fallen are probably an uplifted civilization that pursued the traveler because they are a scorned lover. Only reason they have FTL. They have too many infights with their own race to make any progress. Also they're all probably drug addicts because they need servitors to create ether for them. Servitors are just advanced AI bots that the fallen worship, which makes it that much more satisfying to punch their pseudogods to death.

Hive are potentially transformed humans corrupted by some dark super being that they are communicating with. Unlike the name implies, they're not a hive mind, just hosed up monsters. Probably humans. Lots of bones. They have serious knowledge and information. Their archive in the moon has more information in it than physically possible. There are cards about guardians being tortured by wizards.

Cabal are super advanced military. They moved Mars moons for some reason. Or maybe we did that, who knows. They haven't targeted earth yet, because the vex on Mars seem to be more important. They're interested in Rasputin. They haven't encountered the hive yet, as far as you know.

Vex are a hive mind. Dinklage specifically only mentions that the vault of glass ruins are billions of years old, and that's obvious because they're trying to weave themselves into the time stream in there. They decided worshiping the black heart was the most logical thing to do because they thought it was really strong, probably simply based on the fact it would bring inanimate objects to life. Dimklage mentions that they have organic cores. They're basically daleks. Or humans probably, since they wave to you and tea bag your corpse sometimes. They can teleport anywhere at any time.

The speaker probably isn't human since a handful of people mention it. He wears gloves and a mask and just look at him.

Game is really bad at communicating ANYTHING interesting because dinklage should've been fired after his first script reading and none of the NPCs give you anything to read when you hand in quests. There should be a grimoire card reader in the game. The NPCs not telling you poo poo is probably part of the isolation that the game is trying to make you feel. A couple of NPCs are loving scared of you, like the guardian outfitter is really freaked out about you being an undead immortal. "I still have to get used to guardians walking around... Like one of us" I think you're supposed to feel left out of the loop. That's probably the real reason why you're only allowed at the tower. You loving scare people. And/or look like their dead relatives or ancestors. But you're not. You're a zombie.

poo poo like "I don't have time to tell you why I don't have time" and "we've heard the legends" is just bad though. At least bungie can make human faces now or found a loophole by making robots instead.

The stranger said she was not forged in light, so she is probably from a future timeline without the traveler or she lost her ghost.

Note that if you go meta, ghost is really bad at everything. He doesn't that've any prior knowledge of almost anything, can interface with ANY computer system (specifically alien systems) and always "trips" the alarms. Either the traveler is benevolent and good and asleep, or he's actually autistic and retarded. There are cards talking about him being a consciousness that is trapped inside the sphere and stuck here. I'm sure there will be a raid inside the traveler at some point, because bungie wanted halo to be inside a dyson sphere at some point.

She also mentions it's important to choose a side even if its I wrong, so the traveler side is probably wrong, not that you actually get to choose.

But of course, ghosts make you an immortal monster that cannot be killed, only slowed down. Pretty sure the fallen actually call YOU the darkness when they fight you. A guardian has a dream about the black garden, where vex are born, and a ghost says this to him: "You are a dead thing made by a dead power in the shape of the dead. All you will ever do is kill. You do not belong here. This is a place of life."

Guardian, gardener, garden etc. Cryptarch mumbles something about why is such and such called a garden, something about Eden.

gently caress YOU OP

TLDR ACTIVISON SAID THE GAME WOULD COME OUT IN 2013. In 2014 they said loving wrap it up. And bungie pushed out what they had. They are updating. They are listening to feedback. It'll be better than it is. But right now it's interesting enough.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Destiny is phantasy Star Online w a massive marketing budget

Literally the same game

Also it Westernizes the gently caress out of the anime style, which makes it more palatable to goons and casuals.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Also it Westernizes the gently caress out of the anime style, which makes it more palatable to goons and casuals.

Which is a shame bc I played phantasy star online when I was a kid and it was awesome. I had alot of fun

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

gently caress YOU OP

TLDR ACTIVISON SAID THE GAME WOULD COME OUT IN 2013. In 2014 they said loving wrap it up. And bungie pushed out what they had. They are updating. They are listening to feedback. It'll be better than it is. But right now it's interesting enough.

That's quite the twist ending to your post because the rest of it made it sound like you were pointing out how stupid the whole story was

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
i've played several hours of destiny (it is a fun game to play with friends and like any group activity improves while drunk) and I cannot make heads or tails of wtf the stupid story is

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Yaldabaoth posted:

That's quite the twist ending to your post because the rest of it made it sound like you were pointing out how stupid the whole story was

It's a twist because I've been sperging out on destiny because it has numbers and its halo with loot and that's a loving fatal combination for me. I've had serious conversations about the backstory and poo poo with people.

I understand it's dumb and has really bad exposition and dialogue, but the cards open it up which is RETARDED and interesting at the same time. It'll probably be less impressive once the entire system is opened up. An exo had a flashback (induced by firing photons or something into his brain cortex, with his ghost nearby to repair him back to life) about a hole in Jupiter that felt like it was literally tearing him apart just looking at it.

At the very least, which isn't much to say, the grimoire cards are better written than all the lore in the elder scrolls games. Just read the ghost fragments. There's one about two scientists studying a vex they captured and when they look into its head they find out its simulating a perfect virtual reality of two scientists studying a vex brain. They start having existential breakdowns

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 23, 2014

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Fabricated posted:

i've played several hours of destiny (it is a fun game to play with friends and like any group activity improves while drunk) and I cannot make heads or tails of wtf the stupid story is

It's one of those things where the writers want to be deep but don't actually know how, so they keep things vague and abstract because they assume being deep means simply not giving a straight answer to the reader and just giving them a lot of stuff to speculate over instead

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's one of those things where the writers want to be deep but don't actually know how, so they keep things vague and abstract because they assume being deep means simply not giving a straight answer to the reader and just giving them a lot of stuff to speculate over instead

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Hive, more like.. the Hiv

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Yaldabaoth posted:

well the card thing doesn't really help either since it asks me to stop playing the game to do account stuff on their website which is kinda clunky/slow/too web2.0 so I can read stories and stuff that dont really explain wtf is going on

its really weird that they didn't integrate the card poo poo into the game like Mass Effect's codex

yeah like almost no one read the codex but it was a cool idea and some people did; no one wouldve read that poo poo if you had to go and make a bioware account or w/e to read it

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Lotta words itt. Look guys I just run around pistol whipping the space aliens because they look different than me and make my numbers bigger.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It is pretty amazing how Destiny succeeded solely based on the back of a massive marketing campaign. I mean I hear it's not a total wash of a game proper, but it was pretty clear from the get-go that it was all about the marketing and not about the product. I saw a goddamn special edition Destiny copy of Newsweek. It's one of those cases where a company is so sunk into making a product a hit that they'll skullfuck it into the minds of the braindead as good even if they have to burn the world down to do it.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I'm a bit sad that even with the new generation of consoles we're not at the point where we can have the Grimoire cards in-game.

Did Bungie ever explain why the current technology can't support this ?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You can use your phone. The problem is you have to, instead of it just being a nice add on.

Oh I'm loading? I'll check the tower for bounties, rep status, grimoire cards. Then later I can do those things in game. Except you can only really do it in the phone.

God help you if you wanna know your new monarchy rep and don't have the app. Load game, load character, load tower, run, check. Kill yourself.

It's just the right amount of broken poo poo for an addictive MMO. The foundation is strong, but you wanna see improvements. Bungie nailed it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

It is pretty amazing how Destiny succeeded solely based on the back of a massive marketing campaign. I mean I hear it's not a total wash of a game proper, but it was pretty clear from the get-go that it was all about the marketing and not about the product. I saw a goddamn special edition Destiny copy of Newsweek. It's one of those cases where a company is so sunk into making a product a hit that they'll skullfuck it into the minds of the braindead as good even if they have to burn the world down to do it.

See titanfall for this as well

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have like 150 hours in destiny.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't have a console, so i dont get to play destiny

But I gotta say Destiny was the only game that made me even consider getting a console, but then I realized the overall game lineup sucked for all brands and there was no point to buying a console. Were there any other cool console exclusives at all?

console exclusives suck

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've gotten a lot of "free" indie games on the ps4 and it's slick as gently caress for streaming/video sharing compared to the bullshit you have to go through on your computer. It constantly saves the last 15 minutes of gameplay. You can probably turn it off but why would you.

Got spelunky to play with an actual controller for free. Perfect. I was already jury rigging a PS3 controller on my PC to play it, now I can have both worlds.

It's great not having the system seize up when you go to the overview while in game or Netflix or something. And that it can hold at least two apps in suspension at once, so you can stop playing a game, watch Netflix, go back to game like you never stopped.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHVtZsCZ1TA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Zzulu posted:

But I gotta say Destiny was the only game that made me even consider getting a console, but then I realized the overall game lineup sucked for all brands and there was no point to buying a console. Were there any other cool console exclusives at all?

MLB 14

• Locked thread