Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm honestly curious what it would take aside from money and time. It seems politically entrenched, with police and judges looking the other way, if not benefiting directly.

Would mass prison breaks in the middle of the night be helpful? Anonymous intimidation of the guards/staff including outing them to the public? Vandalism and sabotage to the point of constant public scrutiny of their operation? Anonymous surveillance presented to the news stations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

S.T.C.A. posted:

This is what happens when you have a prison industrial complex. When powers-that-be start to view humans as profitable headcount in their cells, they start to realize that hey, we have a whole untapped market: the juvenile corrections system!

It would take the same thing it takes to undo the massive incentives for the PIC: the tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of families that get income from prisons and other PIC support industries like bail bonds, whole towns dependent on their households getting PIC income to spend in-town, endless marketing campaigns that tell judges "you will be tough on crime or you will not be elected," because enough people buy into attack ads that bend the truth, etc. Enough of those families know that they (or their friends) may lose their mealtickets if even 10% of it went away. All that has analogs in the juvenile system, if not direct overlap in many cases.

What incentive do they have to believe that they should trouble themselves and make their own lives uncertain instead of just saying "bad things happen to bad people, and my family is good, it's too bad this has to happen but I'm just doing what I need to do for my family," or other rationalizations?

You find a way to fix all that, and you're gold! More violence, any violence, will always just help the PIC because the PIC has way more control over messaging.

I don't mean to sound cynical, I'm just saying, that's pretty much what you're dealing with.

Comedy option because even though it isn't a silver bullet, it's such a huge improvement to everything about the PIC: have every LEO and corrections officer require body cams that upload live via the web, ad-supported or pay-for-no ads. All of them, all the time while on duty. If we're willing to pour state funds into private prison budgets, let's start up some cam industries and monetize the coolest loving miniaturized cameras and HUD technologies possible while leveraging good ol' fashioned human love for misery to fund rehab and/or education through those ads.

But this wasn't about the Juvinile Corrections System, it was about the private schools that are torturing kids. The JCS is a whole other kettle of fish.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

S.T.C.A. posted:

I may be grossly misinformed but there's a huge overlap between them all in terms of systemic not-giving-a-gently caress about kids and people that is pretty heavily tied into all of it.

I bet you can find people working both industries either directly or in consulting roles, though I haven't dug to find them myself.

Very possibly, but public opinion is much easier to sway on things like "Private run school locks children in cages" then it is to claim that the Justice System is anything but right.

• Locked thread