Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Bullio fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Thats not a non-profit, that's just fraud. "No we're a non-profit. I mean we keep all the dogs and don't rehome them but we want a tax break" that's just pretty much fraud. Or tax evasion. Either/or.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Bullio fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 22, 2014

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bullio posted:

That's what I honestly was worried about.

"Hey guys tell me my weird idea to justify to myself and others owning 21 dogs is a good idea."

Even if things are clean, maybe you need to talk to some mental health professionals.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Alternatively: build a dog thunderdome. 21 DOGS ENTER, 1 DOG LEAVE!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Bullio posted:

That's what I honestly was worried about.

Congrats, you were right.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Why didn't you look into any of this before fraudulently registering as a non-profit?

Wheats fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 23, 2014

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Bullio fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 22, 2014

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Bullio posted:

Hoarder probably fits, but I associate that term with out of control and likely a filthy household smelling of piss and poo poo. Our house is clean as is our yard. It's a lot of work to keep up with, but we have the means to do it, so rather than spending my money on video games, I'd rather spend it to help dogs out. I guess that's a bad thing to you all.

No, you're a hoarder, and a scammer on top of it, using tax breaks so you can hoard 21 dogs. That's the bad thing.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

"she's little, it'll be easy" is an acceptable reason to keep, say, a third dog, not a twenty-first dog. If you two have this much trouble setting a sane limit now, how much worse will it be when you start taking animals in again? How will you have time to train volunteers, post dogs online, market, fundraise, inspect and interview potential adopters, and care for 20+ personal dogs?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Bullio posted:

I'd have thought PI goons would dig the fact that we've pulled so many off the streets.

If you just had 21 dogs, we'd think you were crazy, yeah. The problem comes with the whole 'heh yeah we can't afford to do this so let's commit tax fraud!'

You probably shoulda figured all this out before that point.

Are you going to leave yourself registered as a rescue?

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Bullio posted:

My opinion, I'm saving them from a 3 day stay in the pound before being put down.

That's how most hoarders justify it, yeah.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Bullio posted:

Your opinion. My opinion, I'm saving them from a 3 day stay in the pound before being put down. Also, you're acting like we've kept every dog we've found, which we have not.

Seek therapy.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Bullio posted:

We're starting a kennel when we relocate. That'll involve hiring employees to take care of the things we start to run out of time for.

You registered as a rescue because you couldn't afford 21 dogs, but suddenly you can afford to hire employees...?

Bullio posted:

When we got to about 15 dogs, vet and food costs started taking their toll, so we registered as a non-profit rescue for tax reasons.

You're using tax fraud to pay for food for your 21 pets. Cool stuff.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Do you know how high the employee turnover rate is for rescues? Are you going to delegate coming up with an actual mission statement and adoption protocols to an employee? How are you going to train them? And again, what are you going to do when you're taking in dogs but you two are still unable to stop your runaway savior complexes that make you hang on to every dog you like more than average?

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

You know what would ease expenses? Adopting out at least a dozen dogs.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Bullio posted:

Once I talk to a lawyer and figure out how to do it right, then it'll be decision time. However, I don't want to commit fraud, so if there's not a way to do it right, then we'll shut that avenue down and find a better, proper way to do this.

No. You will not be getting funding for HAVING 21 dogs. You are not a rescue, you are not a nonprofit, and you need to step back and get some perspective. Also, anyone who's referring to any of their dogs as "the alpha" isn't someone who is really qualified to be managing that many dogs together safely.

EDIT: Get a psychologist, not a lawyer. For both you and your wife.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

OP, what is you actual placement rate?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bullio posted:

Your opinion. My opinion, I'm saving them from a 3 day stay in the pound before being put down. Also, you're acting like we've kept every dog we've found, which we have not.

You ever seen the shows where they deal with animal hoarders? Like 90% of the say the same thing.

Hood Ornament posted:

You know what would ease expenses? Adopting out at least a dozen dogs.

Hmmm....

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Bullio posted:

Those are all good points. The employees are more for the kennel business we've got planned, not the rescue. By then, the rescue should be a side business. No, I'm not going to delegate the mission statement because we're not hiring employees for the rescue. As for the runaway savior complex, you're right about that. However, I believe the past few years have taught us some valuable lessons about getting it under control. At this point, we've kept them for so many years, minus the puppy, that it's more about seeing it through, I guess. I justify it to myself a lot of ways, but like I said, I'm not looking for goon approval, I was looking for advice.

You're right, but I don't run the household so it's not my call at all.

You are not doing these dogs any favors. There are too many for you to be managing safely, and that's coming from a dog trainer who has worked in daycare, volunteered in shelters, and actually went to school to understand dog body language. You have a major problem. My advice is SEE A THERAPIST.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bullio posted:

Those are all good points. The employees are more for the kennel business we've got planned, not the rescue. By then, the rescue should be a side business. No, I'm not going to delegate the mission statement because we're not hiring employees for the rescue. As for the runaway savior complex, you're right about that. However, I believe the past few years have taught us some valuable lessons about getting it under control. At this point, we've kept them for so many years, minus the puppy, that it's more about seeing it through, I guess. I justify it to myself a lot of ways, but like I said, I'm not looking for goon approval, I was looking for advice.

You're right, but I don't run the household so it's not my call at all.

That's such a loving cop out and you know it. You live in the god drat house, and you were preparing to commit TAX FRAUD and take out a loan to help with this poo poo.

Either take responsibility and hopefully make some changes or gently caress off.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Good job enabling your wife's hoarding, I guess?

I don't know of anyone who would kennel their pet at a place that has 21 resident dogs running around.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Bullio fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 22, 2014

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Also lol what qualifies you to run a kennel? Probably the same thing that qualifies every other daycare owner: nothing, and your employees will be miserable and the dogs will be unsafe and congrats you have contributed nothing new or of value.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

You are severely underestimating the amount of time and effort required to run a sucessful rescue (ie one that PLACES ANIMALS).

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bullio posted:

I guess I could keep arguing, but I'm fighting an uphill battle here.

Yeah because there's pretty much nothing you could say that would convince us, "oh yes all of our serious and major misgivings were unfounded. Onward friend," short of a loving lobotomy.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Bullio posted:

I guess I could keep arguing, but I'm fighting an uphill battle here.

Yo when numerous professionals in the animal industries are all agreeing, maybe it's time to start listening to what they have to say rather than brushing us off because we don't tell you what you want to hear.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Okay real posting: Seriously I have 4 (5, really, but he's taking a vacation with my folks for a year at least? who knows.) and occasionally there are times when I run into difficulty. You are two people. I am one person. That means you could maybe handle 8 and that is still completely insane. Most people think anything over 2 is getting into some crazy dog lady territory and on some level? It definitely is. 4, 5? You start to get odd looks. 6? 7? You better be involved in breeding or some kind of competition or have tons of land. You hit double digits and unless you have a full staff/working farm/some good reason, you have too many loving goddamned worthless hounds stinking up your house and loving off.

Saving their pwecious wittle puppy lives isn't even a thing. Who gives a gently caress? There's like a million of them being put down right now while you're committing tax fraud and do you really think the ASPCA isn't going to come get your dogs and euth them all anyway when you and your idiot wife are thrown the gently caress in jail for however-the-poo poo many years it is now for tax fraud?

You dumbass. While your wife is transforming from Betty into Butch and your rear end is getting rammed like no tomorrow by Chavo and his 800lb boyfriend Trayvon, your dogs will be getting euthanized because nobody is going to take on 21 dogs no matter how much they adore you. Drop the tax write offs, get rid of some of those mutts and beg for lubricated mercy from the US government.

Back to cuddleposting: :ohdear: :woof: :love: :shobon:

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

The kennel isn't a great idea either, but on it's own it's a better one than a rescue, since you legally have to give people back their dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bullio posted:

Loan? What loan? The VA loan is to buy the acres for the kennel. VA home loan was going to come into play regardless when we relocated.

You are a million levels of moronic if you think the VA is going to give you a loan for a dog kennel. USAA would. VA won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

• Locked thread