Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
P.S. Your wife is lying to you about you being a nonprofit in order to enable her unhealthy behavior. I've filled out the paperwork, it's not a "nip out to the courthouse, sign a form, tah dah," there are elected board members that have all got to sign and write up what their duties are, there are official board meetings you have to hold, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Bullio fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 22, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bullio posted:

I'm still going to talk to the lawyer, but it looks like we're going to have to drop the rescue. Thanks for the advice. Also, thanks for the hilarious post.

It is nowhere near as hilarious as your life is on the outside.

Oh and your wife needs a ton of mental help but so do most military wives (oh ~irony~)

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You are a million levels of moronic if you think the VA is going to give you a loan for a dog kennel. USAA would. VA won't.
"Dear USAA I want to open a low margin, high risk business. Please give me money."

ButWhatIf posted:

P.S. Your wife is lying to you about you being a nonprofit in order to enable her unhealthy behavior. I've filled out the paperwork, it's not a "nip out to the courthouse, sign a form, tah dah," there are elected board members that have all got to sign and write up what their duties are, there are official board meetings you have to hold, etc.
BUT ITS NOT HIS HOUSEHOLD or something.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Looking forward to reading about how you have to sell your boarding business because it takes too much time away from your forty dogs.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Are you a construction worker? Are you going to have someone come out and inspect the kennel? Because you can't just loving build a thing for dogs and just brush your hands off and say its all good. This plan is bad and you are bad and your wife is crazy.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

ButWhatIf posted:

This is probably not what you want to hear, but you really really don't want to be doing this paperwork without the assistance of a lawyer who is well-versed in nonprofit law. I'm on the board for a nonprofit and when we filed for 501(c)3 status it was 100% necessary to involve a lawyer who could interpret the forms for us. I would absolutely try to get a consultation with one BEFORE trying to "take care of" any paperwork, since this is a thing that the IRS is very going to care about. Once you do, however, you can probably look into your state's laws about what can be written off, including knee surgeries and attorney fees.

Bullio posted:

We've only registered in the last month. That's why I'm asking now.

Ok, there is no way you are 501(c)3 right now, you might have an EIN or state recognition as a non-profit (though IIRC, state needed the IRS paperwork as well?) - submitting the paperwork takes at least a month, I think the wait list is closer to 2-3 at the moment to get a decision back about your status. It took our rescue 2 months to hear back from the IRS about our non-profit status.

Also, that paperwork was a loving nightmare, as ButWhatIf pointed out. The only reason we were able to get through it is we had help from another Shiba rescue where two lawyers who are the main volunteers and good friends of ours helped us out IMMENSELY with the paperwork. There is no way we would have been able to confidently get through that thing without legal help. It long and filled with confusing wording, and your paperwork can be rejected for stupid poo poo, because they do read them.

Superconsndar posted:

If you're determined to do this, maybe call yourself a sanctuary rather than a rescue and don't take in any more unless one dies or whatever.

This is more in line than saying you are a rescue, dude. We adopt out our dogs, as hard as it is to let some of them go, but the reason we do is so we have room for the next one. There are sanctuaries involved in my specific breed that just hang onto whatever dog they get and if it works for them, great (though I feel they keep the ill and infirm alive too long because they have the NO EUTH motto too far up their asses to stop these dogs from their suffering.)

Bullio posted:

As for the building like a shelter, it's going to be more than that. We have plans for an upscale dog kennel for people to leave their pets at on vacation and the like. There'll be free access to separate yard sections and indoor recirculating water troughs with filters and such.

This is not a non-profit rescue. This is a for-profit business. It's called a boarding kennel. Please don't use a 501(c)3 for something like this, as a rescue I'm already fighting an uphill battle about the "crazy rescues" including a Pom rescue in town that advertises so many dogs for adoption but none of them ever get adopted out because they just "fit in" and "no one is as good as I am."

And just because it has pretty walls and closed circuit TV, it's still essentially a loud shelter/kennel and many dogs do not do well in that situation. My own dogs do not, Koji goes bald from stress and refuses to eat. Keep that in mind in your doggie wonderland.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
Okay so you falsely registered as a non-profit so you could save money while planning to take out a loan to start a for-profit kennel business, with no experience in running a rescue OR a kennel.

You know what's an even better idea? Adopting out half your dogs, using the saved money to pay for a therapist, and then maybe suggest that your wife go work for a real rescue that actually adopts out animals (actually scratch the last part, she'll just bring home new ones every week).

And yeah, this is the advice you get from people who know what the gently caress they're talking about.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Dude. You are stupid as hell if you think in any way that it is somehow reasonable to have (own; possess) TWENTY-ONE dogs. I would NEVER send my dog to any kennel that had that many dogs LIVING there. Your idea is terrible and I hope your lawyer laughs you out of the office. Post again when he does. Also, if you're legit chalking this all up to "my wife's household choices," then loving sever right now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bullio posted:

It's a home loan. You can use it for a large plot of land. Then I'd zone it and build the kennel myself.

Zoning is not like sim city. And if you do not build a house on it and the VA finds out they can really gently caress you up. Man you are all sorts of into scummy business dealings, aren't you? Do you just lie to people about your "rescue" too like you did on here so they don't go "wow you're loving insane"?

wtftastic posted:

"Dear USAA I want to open a low margin, high risk business. Please give me money."

Legit they probably would. They are really really driven about getting ex-military a job. Any job.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Perhaps the dogs are actually tiny midget construction workers in dog costumes.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Legit they probably would. They are really really driven about getting ex-military a job. Any job.

USAA has always been nice to me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Perhaps the dogs are actually tiny midget construction workers in dog costumes.

I dunno that one mastiff might be two midgets.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Have you ever actually...been to a boarding kennel? Do you truly think that someone who would board their pet at a "high-end" kennel would bring their dog within a mile of a place with 21 dogs running free, owned by people with zero qualifications for dog care?

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Bullio posted:

Yeah, we're going to have to have a discussion about that.

"But honey when you're gone I'm so sad and the dogs comfort me plus we SAVED them"

"Oh okay then, let's take out a monstrous loan and go into debt for an almost-certainly terrible business idea we are in no way qualified to run!"

Everyone wins! (Except the dogs, but those mongrels should be GRATEFUL you saved them from 3 whole days in a shelter)

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Bullio posted:

Yeah, we're going to have to have a discussion about that.

Hahaha no you're not.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

How to do it correctly is not to do it, gobble down medication, and surrender most of your dogs, thats how.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your woman does not run your life. Nut up and kick your bitch in the face (not literal) and then kick some dogs out on their rear end (literal)

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Bullio posted:

However, I don't think I'm ever going to convince her to let me adopt any away. The best I'm doing is refusing to let her bring anymore in.

loving get a divorce, you're a doormat with idiot delusions and she's an animal hoarder who's using you.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Bullio posted:

That whole dogs never getting adopted out and "no one is as good as I am" is the attitude I want to get away from. 21 is an excessive number, I agree. However, I don't think I'm ever going to convince her to let me adopt any away. The best I'm doing is refusing to let her bring anymore in.

Whistling a different tune suddenly from, "well that's just like...your opinion, man." once you realized that no one is on board with this awful idea?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bullio posted:

The home would be on the same property. It's easy when there are several acres.

It really isn't that simple but I wanna hear about your zoning process so much. Do you just walk out, pee on the edge of the property and scream to the four winds of the cosmic universe "THIS IS MY HOME, THIS IS WHERE I GET LAID ONCE EVERY 6 YEARS, THIS SHALL BE DOG KENNEL LAND" as loud as you can? Because that's what I'm imagining.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bullio posted:

That whole dogs never getting adopted out and "no one is as good as I am" is the attitude I want to get away from. 21 is an excessive number, I agree. However, I don't think I'm ever going to convince her to let me adopt any away. The best I'm doing is refusing to let her bring anymore in.

:siren:HELLO DO YOU REALIZE SHE HAS A PROBLEM AND MIGHT ALSO NEED TO GO TO A SHRINK LIKE ASAP?:siren: If you struggle with her not bringing more home, then SHE HAS A PROBLEM. If she doesn't see how that many dogs is too many SHE HAS A PROBLEM.

Get rid of the dogs (maybe expect the first two) and move on with your life, and don't get any more animals.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ButWhatIf posted:

loving get a divorce, you're a doormat with idiot delusions and she's an animal hoarder who's using you.

Divorce one bitch (to), divorced'em all.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Bullio posted:

AS far as the boarding kennel, that was going to have nothing to do with the rescue side of things. It's a business I'd planned on starting up in order to bring more money in to help more dogs.

Please don't. If you have no background in canine behavior, don't. There are too many lovely boarding/daycare kennels already without your stupid rear end adding another. You're not qualified to guarantee any amount of safety, and you sure as poo poo won't be able to provide the level of care that ought to be in place if you're busy caring for your own TWENTY-ONE DOGS.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

deleted

Bullio fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 22, 2014

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
A better title for this thread would have been "Hoarders Without Boarders"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Golden-i posted:

"Hoarders Without Boarders"

Hot drat.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
I almost missed my chance to join the fun.

Content: I have 2 dogs, and sometimes it feels like that's a lot more than my wife and I can handle. Those days we take a step back and start with the basics and finally realize that we're good, but it takes a lot of work to give each dog the attention they deserve. I make jokes about getting a third dog that are resoundingly met with "Are you an idiot?".

5 dogs is crazy dog lady territory.

10 dogs is "someone needs therapy" territory.

21 dogs is "It's time to put your foot down, either you or your wife have a serious problem and it is going to affect your quality of life if it hasn't already, regardless of how confident you are you can afford it all".

edit: not even sure I want to open the non-profit can of worms

edit in poor taste: rather than a non-profit you could always open a chinese food restaurant

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Serious question: do you really think you can take out a loan from the VA to build a home, and then plop a business on that land without anyone minding the misuse of funds? Because you have been posting a lot of "plans" that are really just "fraud" in this thread. Honestly shocked that you didn't seem to notice until it was pointed out to you.

Also, you really need to stop bringing home dogs. Even with two of you, that is not enough supervision and individual attention to prevent Bad loving News in your future. I would be shocked if your dogs didn't fight regularly, despite the fact that you present your case as Dogtopia. Even if they are fed regularly and have what they need, I'm willing to bet a handful of those 21 dogs are resource guarders to at least a mild degree. With only two people (or one if the other is out of the house) to intercede, there is no way to handle any poo poo that could stir up with that many dogs. This is how you end up with mauled dogs, dead dogs, emergency room visits, and Animal Control visits.

You really need to rehome 15 of those dogs and stop bringing more home. Just because there aren't laws specifically banning you from keeping this many doesn't mean you should.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I love rounding up my 21 dogs and pressing my face into them and just getting a big ol whiff of that good 21 dog essence, when everyone asks me what i like? Needless to say i just stick my hand in my pocket and pull out a fist full of the fur of all 21 of my dogs and let them get a taste for themselves. like what you're smelling? just come back to my non profit dog rescue and pick out your favorite. you can visit it any time im home and get your "fix" for just a small fee.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Golden-i posted:

A better title for this thread would have been "Hoarders Without Boarders"

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Only i am allowed to make threads about owning twenty+ dogs get out

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Superconsndar posted:

I love rounding up my 21 dogs and pressing my face into them and just getting a big ol whiff of that good 21 dog essence, when everyone asks me what i like? Needless to say i just stick my hand in my pocket and pull out a fist full of the fur of all 21 of my dogs and let them get a taste for themselves. like what you're smelling? just come back to my non profit dog rescue and pick out your favorite. you can visit it any time im home and get your "fix" for just a small fee.

for a much larger fee, you can bring your own dog and have it thrown into the decrepit barn out back and i'll try to remember to close the door. and nbd if it gets out, i mean its a dog, they always go home, right? how hard can this be.

or maybe i'll let it loose on purpose then 'rescue' it and keep it

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

The OP for anyone who missed it:

http://postimg.org/image/s5cpbfpfz/

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Dealing with veterinary costs as they are now is tough.

What are you going to do when serious medical issues arise?

I was going to do the morbid humor thing of taking all the photos in the OP and labeling with the host of nasty problems that will inevitably occur in all those dogs and try to give you an idea of how your costs won't just increase, they could skyrocket in a rather short period of time (i.e. 5 years). How will you decide who gets what medical care? Are you going to put a limit on the amount of money you are willing to spend on each one?

What complicates things is the human psychological component... and even with external funding, non-profit status... you could end up losing a lot of dogs in a relatively short amount of time.

Better to get psychological help now and send the dogs to homes that will have the ability to either...
a) pay thousands for advanced medical care when the need arises
b) euthanize and not put their family out of their home/get 5 more dogs to compensate for the loss.

Edit: Thanks PaisleyFox, forgot there was that many, and decided :effort:

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 24, 2014

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
With that many dogs they could easily kill you and eat you in your sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
just euth them, there's enough useless trash dogs in the world as it is

• Locked thread