Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

just gonna snipe this here gooey thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Ericadia posted:

whats a good casual to hobbyist read on ux design

just put a hamburger menu on it mate no need for any laboured theory

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Metrication posted:

just put a hamburger menu on it mate no need for any laboured theory

:negative:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lots of empty space, thin fonts, landscape photo background, make sure everything has a cutesy smiley face, "hand crafted with love in san francisco," done

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

make sure you don't put more than four controls within a 2000x2000px area. you don't want people to get confused

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

qntm posted:

i don't understand why people try to modify or improve scrollbars, they're a literally perfect ui widget

they're janky on infinite scrolling sites. i've heard of alternative scrollbar-like widgets for that case but never seen one myself, it's always a jumping, shrinking handle

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Symbolic Butt posted:

I bet he was real proud of it, you can taste some of his (incompetent) effort on this.

SA Search is a slight alteration of the vbulletin search UI. You can't really blame radium for it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

they're janky on infinite scrolling sites. i've heard of alternative scrollbar-like widgets for that case but never seen one myself, it's always a jumping, shrinking handle

infinite scrolling is dumb

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

that's not the scsroll bar's problem it's

Sweevo posted:

infinite scrolling is dumb

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
The only way I'd like infinite scroll would be that it stopped after like 5 pages and as soon as you open the site, the scroll bar got tiny as if those 5 pages of content were already on the page. That way there's no jumping around.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Peanut and the Gang posted:

The only way I'd like infinite scroll would be that it stopped after like 5 pages and as soon as you open the site, the scroll bar got tiny as if those 5 pages of content were already on the page. That way there's no jumping around.

don't forget waiting for it to scroll page by page by itself to bring you back to where you were if you accidentally navigate away and hit back

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Infinite scrolling is a crime against humanity like ie6

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

Infinite scrolling is a crime against humanity like ie6

and also you're posts

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
NO, U

x

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jakob nielsen and don norman are great at pointing out things that are wrong and saying how stuff should work but neither of them has designed much of note [particularly neilsen]

similarly with cooper whose solution to everything is "take cooper classes [where you won't learn to design stuff]"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
qirex i gotta design ui for my game. its mostly just gona be info (fuel, health, money). any good examples of poo poo i should copy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

grand theft auto christchurch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dunedin would be ok for GTA but what they need to fuckin do is GTA:Rio that would be incredible and is such a perfect location for a crimne game

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
gta computer a game about cyber crimes and epic trolling

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I am a UX designer and I approve of this thread

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"don't make me think" is the name of the book, qirex isn't just delaying or giving you a non-answer

heh no poo poo sherlock

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

your mom's cooter was a bad ux, op

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

your mom's cooter was a bad ux, op

the ui is too large and the design too elaborate

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pram posted:

teh something awful forums, powerred by monkey cheese rofl *decade old hardware craps out and database explodes*

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I literally hand craft user experiences in San Francisco, I wouldn't say I do it with love [or giant super-thin fonts] though

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

qirex i gotta design ui for my game. its mostly just gona be info (fuel, health, money). any good examples of poo poo i should copy

put fuel and health near where your ship is so you don't have to look all over the place

only show money when it's significant

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

have a constantly incrementing "score" counter that doesn't link to anything. make it go down sometimes too.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Virion posted:

the ui is too large and the design too elaborate

We can be more general here - the design of vaginas is terrible. How many users even know there's a clitoris unless they're told? How are you supposed to know what to do with all those flaps and flanges? On the other hand, a cock affords sucking, a butt affords loving. And that, op, is why im gay

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
all of which is to say nothing of the insanity of the "procedure" for getting people out of there afterwards

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fib posted:

We can be more general here - the design of vaginas is terrible. How many users even know there's a clitoris unless they're told? How are you supposed to know what to do with all those flaps and flanges? On the other hand, a cock affords sucking, a butt affords loving. And that, op, is why im gay

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
start here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fib posted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

vaginas aren't intuitive but they are learnable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

put fuel and health near where your ship is so you don't have to look all over the place

only show money when it's significant

amazingly
this was actually the way I was moving. money appears when it changes and fades away and yeah. wow. such epic

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
user

interfaces

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bananalogue posted:

user

interfaces

tbf that's actually a good interface for what it's meant to do.

now this on the other hand...

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Fib posted:

when the sixties roll around again, apple, as a lifestyle company, will design and sell sex toys

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
photoshop has a lovely UI and things like ctrlz doesn't go back through history but undoes one thing is hosed up

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

photoshop has a lovely UI and things like ctrlz doesn't go back through history but undoes one thing is hosed up

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Fib posted:

too bad your mom couldn't afford an abortion

just kidding fib this post was pro

• Locked thread