Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

Kanthulhu posted:

Believing in bullshit is neither cool nor good, OP.

Hth.

If cultures (most cultures) did not benefit from religious belief, they would not use it. It is a memetic symbiote.*

More precisely:
Cultures using religion are more fit than cultures that do not, and the latter fail to successfully compete and are absorbed or displaced.
The Hand of Darwin works on all systems (not all can respond).

So God is due to Darwinan forces.
Heh. Hows that for irony?

* Sometimes the symbiote can get out of control or become malignant. Do you really need examples?

E: Sometimes bullshit is useful. Sometimes there is little else.
i.e. "In politics, there's always something better than the truth."

zimboe fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

God committed suicide when it realized it was nothing more than an eternally incompetent gently caress up, whose greatest accomplishment was creating us.

God is dead, and hopefully the human race will extinguish itself relatively soon.

God bless this mess.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

AnemicChipmunk posted:

God committed suicide when it realized it was nothing more than an eternally incompetent gently caress up, whose greatest accomplishment was creating us.

God is dead, and hopefully the human race will extinguish itself relatively soon.

God bless this mess.

Well now, who shall we start with?

E: Christians often ask "What would Jesus do?"

Jesus would punch you.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 24, 2014

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

zimboe posted:

Well now, who shall we start with?

You first. I'll be at the end of the line.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded
God didn't commit suicide.
He just got fired for slacking off on the job.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

AnemicChipmunk posted:

You know how after US marines finish their service the reality of all the war crimes they committed sinks in and they realize they're inhuman monsters who can repent only by taking their own life? That's what happened to OT God. Unfortunately humanity still isn't free because God managed to reproduce before offing himself and now Jesus is running the show

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

spooky girlfriend posted:

yeah I bet, I wish I believed in a higher power too so I didn't have to be afraid of death

This but unironically.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Kanthulhu posted:

Believing in bullshit is neither cool nor good, OP.

Hth.

I don't, I believe in the truth and great creator that is the Lord.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
little late but yes i technically exist.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

All the other gods exist, it's just your one that doesn't.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It seems that if you get rid of Jesus altogether, light and energy will slowly fade from the world, causing humans to become sick and ill, their artificial creations to break and decay, plants and animals to wither and rot, and the skies to become grey and overcast until the world becomes some sort of post apocalyptic purgatory. However if you agree to keep Jesus around then he'll impose his will on humanity and force everyone to live like it's the Middle Ages complete with kings and poo poo. The only solution is to trap Jesus in a large battery and siphon off his power so the world can still function while humans have freedom to grow and evolve into better beings

*starts construction on the Golden Throne*

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Hail Satan

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
Priest caste made up Yahweh to convince Hebrew tribals to wash their hands and not eat rotten meat and not kill their own babies and such. Its FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING boring to keep hearing about Yahweh.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
Can't we talk about Brahman for once?

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
The biblical god invented by Israelites was an amalgamation of previous gods in civilizations that died out before Israelites even existed. Yahweh was invented by humans from two previous gods merged together for political and cultural use. There are older religions and gods that existed before Yahweh and are therefore closer to the beginning and therefore more true. Everything after are falsehoods and lies.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

deism is pretty cool imo

organized religion is awful awful awful though

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
So when a bunch Australopithecines cowered together in the night, vaguely suspecting that the thunder and lightening were a Very Angry Alpha Male, they were closest to the truth?

Edit - The God of the Gaps is literally the oldest and original god.

Disconnecticus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 9, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CodeJanitor posted:

The biblical god invented by Israelites was an amalgamation of previous gods in civilizations that died out before Israelites even existed. Yahweh was invented by humans from two previous gods merged together for political and cultural use. There are older religions and gods that existed before Yahweh and are therefore closer to the beginning and therefore more true. Everything after are falsehoods and lies.

Ha, I knew it was Raven who raised the land from the great waters and not plate tectonics! Now given Raven some god drat fries.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Ha, I knew it was Raven who raised the land from the great waters and not plate tectonics! Now given Raven some god drat fries.

All of the earliest religions were defined as a pantheon of gods, lead and controlled by female Earth goddesses. Everything else and since is an affront of the true gods that created the Earth, created by evil and only spread through vile behavior, murder, and warfare.

As an example, Mohammad was a pedophile, greedy, lying, murdering, war-monger only matched by the most infamous vile leaders in modern history.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CodeJanitor posted:

All of the earliest religions were defined as a pantheon of gods, lead and controlled by female Earth goddesses. Everything else and since is an affront of the true gods that created the Earth, created by evil and only spread through vile behavior, murder, and warfare.

As an example, Mohammad was a pedophile, greedy, lying, murdering, war-monger only matched by the most infamous vile leaders in modern history.

I know Coyote is kind of the new kid in the pantheon, but at his worst the trickster who is easily fooled is at most a mild libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
The Most Epic Lifehack: Prayer.

• Locked thread