Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
pls tell me about the new leftwing boogeyman since y2k and mayan doomsday were both a shitshow thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't, OP

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
If their crops grow on your land they'll try and sue you. No matter what it is Even if it is invasive and unwanted.

So if I was to go to your lawn OP and throw some mosanto seeds on it. They'd sue you.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I think it is because they know that the biggest beneficiaries of "GMOs" are people on the verge of malnourishment in the third world and basically they want all the poors and browns to die so they can live in a Nordic fairy tell playworld.

HTH

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Al Borland posted:

If their crops grow on your land they'll try and sue you. No matter what it is Even if it is invasive and unwanted.

So if I was to go to your lawn OP and throw some mosanto seeds on it. They'd sue you.

Now that I know that Al Borland is against them, I actually think they're pretty rad.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Genetically modified David Bowie.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

echronorian posted:

pls tell me about the new leftwing boogeyman since y2k and mayan doomsday were both a shitshow thanks

The crazy people think that genetically modified plants=evil.

Others just hate them for being a lovely company and the practical concerns of everyone growing genetically identical crops.

Dow Chemical just made Agent Orange resistant corn that is named Enlist so I think that's got everyone's attention atm.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Now that I know that Al Borland is against them, I actually think they're pretty rad.

I'm so gonna seed your lawn.

with semen.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

echronorian posted:

like all the major agricultural conglomerates, they engage in massively unethical business practices and are far too politically powerful, and in addition monsanto has its name attached to herbicides and genetically-engineered food. they were also one of the two major manufacturers for agent orange.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
mmmm fresh all natural organic little bitter poo poo apples

simply succulent

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

GMOs rule

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Curling players on steroids.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

GM crops and such are fine, monsanto is a different kettle of fish. They can legally patent some living organisms, and things like their no regrowth seeds which they have copyrighted if it was to fall onto your land when one of their trucks full of the stuff drives past will sue you. Which they have done in the past.

Also if you buy off of Monsanto and "save seed" you will be sued. GM crops are fine, but the unethical practices are what make them shits. Like Nike with their sweatshops with child labour, rather than them selling shoes.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Effectronica posted:

like all the major agricultural conglomerates, they engage in massively unethical business practices and are far too politically powerful, and in addition monsanto has its name attached to herbicides and genetically-engineered food. they were also one of the two major manufacturers for agent orange.

hmm ok yup idc

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
ConAgra are worse than Monsanto, but they don't make chemicals so nobody cares about them

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i think their p cool

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Did you guys know 3M makes glue AND inhalers???? poo poo we gotta do something guys

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
1 gene 1 expression turned out bunk and that's what all genetic modification was based on

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
arguably monsanto, by making glyphosate, are one of the better agribusinesses

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
Don't trust barefooted hippies who go to dive bars with glow-in-the-dark hula hoops and make spectacles out of themselves worshiping mother nature with knowledge about bioengineering.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Baba Ganoush posted:

Don't trust barefooted hippies who go to dive bars with glow-in-the-dark hula hoops and make spectacles out of themselves worshiping mother nature with knowledge about bioengineering.

hosed up if true

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I love my corporate masters, I will suck their cocks without even being asked.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Al Borland posted:

This is the only problem I have with them. I have no clue why genetically modified foods scare anyone.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'd love to see these whiny fucks try to feed themselves off their organic and totally not green at all lawn farms.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
If Monsanto is so evil then why don't they act like African Warlords and hoard all the food for themselves and ration it out only to the people who lick their rear end? It's not like the government would actually do anything about it since Monsanto has enough money to bribe them off, they could easily forge their own empire this way

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Al Borland posted:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This is the only problem I have with them. I have no clue why genetically modified foods scare anyone.

didn't this lawsuit prove that the guy was trying pretty hard to get the crops cross-pollinated or have they done this multiple times

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
buying up exclusive rights to groundwater & aquifers and then dumping toxic poo poo into water supplies they dont own is pretty evil

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
They literally murdered two teenagers through negligence in my city so there's that.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
lol at anyone trying to start a d&d thread in gbs

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
patenting lifeforms is creepy and troubling

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Al Borland posted:

This is what my global studies professor told me.
I can't remember if I failed that class or not. I probably did.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Spiderjelly posted:

patenting lifeforms is creepy and troubling

Basically, which is doesn't bother me when I hear about people deliberately trying to beat the patents.

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
"Oh no, my precious seeds! Do not mess a round with me magic seeds! you are the devil."

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
we don't know how gmos will affect the ecosystem *tanker beaches itself behind me and explodes three times, emergency response vehicles scream to the scene at 5 mpg*

nevermind

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Is it coincidence that Monsanto means My Saint in mexican? And that mexicans grow our food?

think b4 u post

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i got fingered by a monsanto employee, pretty well

thats my story

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
mental image of a guy pumping a vagina full of roundup wearing nothing but an evil corporate grin

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stoic Commie posted:

mental image of a guy pumping a vagina full of roundup wearing nothing but an evil corporate grin

i would deffo take a Plan B called "Human Roundup"

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
embryrodeo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

i got fingered by a monsanto employee, pretty well

thats my story

did he only finger you because his seed was patented?

• Locked thread