Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Wtf really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think any business has an obligation to accept credit cards. There is a 2-4% transaction charge that they have to eat per transaction.

Credit cards only originally exist because some guy convinced a bunch of businesses that customers would spend more money at their business if they could charge it to an expense account and he could charge a fee for the service. They didn't want to at first but after a trial run it was true, people did spend more. Now that businesses have gotten so used to them, they forget about this, but now debit cards exist which achieve the same "stop the customer from thinking about his money and instead think about the product" effect. And debit cards have a lower per-transaction charge, how much less I forget.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Offer to pay them in gold fillings, I'm sure they'll be fine with that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bro nobody uses credit cards in Germany

at best they'll take those wierdo debit cards with the chip in em but that's like 50/50 at best

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rob the Netto and get some cash money. It will be in Euros which are basically worhtless but you'll probably be able to buy yourself some strudel and some Mr.Bean DVDs or whatever it is Germans do with money.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

bro nobody uses credit cards in Germany

Gold fillings and "donated" jewelry on the other hand.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I get pissed when people don't take cards. I have an app on my phone that can take cards. I'm a loving loser and I can take a card, there's no excuse.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

People in America still use checks which is like some 17th century poo poo.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
People accuse the germans of being workaholics but unlike Americans they seem to understand the importance of having one day a week where everything is closed and everyone sits down and shuts up about work

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
germans aren't workaholics, germans are beaurocrats

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Almost no supermarket in Germany accepts credit cards, they're not commonly used there. However, Maestro and cash are widely accepted.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's pretty rare and seem confined to the elderly mostly. That said I guess no one is going to hack your check....they'll just do the thousands of different things people did with check fraud for hundreds of years.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So is netto some anime store or what?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Darth123123 posted:

So is netto some anime store or what?
Cheap super market. Not Wal-mart grade of cheap, but close. They do accept debit cards, though.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

did they say, "Nein"?

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
nicht akzeptiert you buffoon

how is this even a topic, just go to -,Real and experience german walmart you prick

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
Germany did accept the rule of Adolf Hitler, so they can't really say anything.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

BASF posted:

leider verfügbar i think is what it said on the credit terminal at that juncture

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

teutonic barbarism

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BASF posted:

BASF is not in a position to judge anyone on that particular matter.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

BASF is not in a position to judge anyone on that particular matter.

:pusheen:

but the plant is so pretty at night!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tautologicus posted:

I don't think any business has an obligation to accept credit cards. There is a 2-4% transaction charge that they have to eat per transaction.

i dont think its that much (maybe AmEx charges a lot bc a lot of places wont take it). I think smart places will add have a credit card fee of like 25 cents or something which is fine since you could just a debit like you said.

really gently caress cash only places

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Ehat does netto mean?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

a starwar betamax posted:

Ehat does netto mean?
In this context it's the opposite of gross value. It's supposed to signify that the place is cheap.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah not really, I had to write a check for something last year and noticed it was the third one I'd written since opening the account in 2005

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i still pay rent in checks :(

and dentist/optimistrist visits in checks

it kinda sucks and is a huge hassle but w/e. i write probably 20 a year or so

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow if you start reading about swipe fees and the supreme court cases and the retail associatons vs the banks it's crazy...i might post a thread about it sometime. banks win every time it seems.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
They don't take credit cards because they invest all their money in giving YOU the cheapest products.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

whenever i see op and his avatar i imagine that the anime is a bad stand up comedian who is getting heckled. boo anime. you suck. get wrecked, pink haired anime

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
anime avatars must go

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tautologicus posted:

Wow if you start reading about swipe fees and the supreme court cases and the retail associatons vs the banks it's crazy...i might post a thread about it sometime. banks win every time it seems.

Here you go. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543334

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mostly because it's still the only way, besides cash, to do person-to-person money transfers without fees.

It's funny when some old lady pulls out a checkbook in the supermarket and everyone behind her groans and moves to other lines. Even if they have to wait for 5 other people it's still faster than waiting for someone to write a check.

• Locked thread