Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

blue.eyed.ash posted:

If you loved Dig Me Out, give The Hot Rock a spin next.

Huh, really? I'd say Call the Doctor is closer in sound and style to Dig Me Out. I love The Hot Rock but it's a fairly big departure from the intense punk they played before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

CRINDY posted:

had never really listened to sleater-kinney before "bury our friends" was released but good lord I've burned through "no cities to love" three times today and it keeps getting better. where do I go from here? listened to "dig me out" and loved it. i love "the fox" off "the woods" but i wasn't feeling the rest of the album as much

just go from call the doctor upwards, they make more sense if you listen to them progress by each successive album

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

regulargonzalez posted:

Huh, really? I'd say Call the Doctor is closer in sound and style to Dig Me Out. I love The Hot Rock but it's a fairly big departure from the intense punk they played before then.

That's a good point, stylistically. I dunno, I got into Sleater-Kinney during the Dig Me Out era, and Hot Rock always seemed to me like a logical next step, so I was just recommending what I knew.

Metallian
May 29, 2003

ThePutty posted:

just go from call the doctor upwards, they make more sense if you listen to them progress by each successive album

Gotta agree with this, once you have the bug it is interesting to chart their development through the albums.

regulargonzalez posted:

Call the Doctor and Dig Me Out are very similar in style, save for the addition of Janet, but i'd agree that The Hot Rock is a really natural follow-up to Dig, which takes a bit of a turn on the flip, and gets more subtle for side B. If you listen to Dig and Hot one after the other it feels like a really smooth transition.

Dig Me Out and All Hands on the Bad One were the first ones I really took to myself. I think the only really divisive albums are the first self-titled, which is very raw and basic, and The Woods, which treads deeply into art-rock territory. On a reverse trajectory, I'd say that One Beat has a lot of the same focus and energy as No Cities.

In any case this album loving rips and I could listen to Fade about a million times and I am very happy.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Progressing through their work chronologically (skip the self-titled now, it's an artifact of its time and doesn't really bear much of a resemblance to what came later) is the best way to go. Dig Me Out or The Woods are basically the albums you'll hear people say are the best, and since they're at opposite ends of the career just go through them chronologically. I think The Hot Rock and One Beat are two of their weaker albums, since they're clearly transitional albums to my ears. They're very good albums but they occupy weird places in the S-K discography, so this helps place them in context.

This album owns super hard and I'm happy they're finally getting the attention they deserve. Though I'm feeling I'm gonna meet at least one person that thinks it's funny to yell "put a bird on it!" at the concert next month.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 21, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Progressing through their work chronologically (skip the self-titled now, it's an artifact of its time and doesn't really bear much of a resemblance to what came later) is the best way to go. Dig Me Out or The Woods are basically the albums you'll hear people say are the best, and since they're at opposite ends of the career just go through them chronologically. I think The Hot Rock and One Beat are two of their weaker albums, since they're clearly transitional albums to my ears. They're very good albums but they occupy weird places in the S-K discography, so this helps place them in context.

Wow, interesting how varied opinions are. I too have The Woods as 1 and Dig Me Out as 1a, but have Hot Rock and One Beat tied for #2, just a tiny bit below those two. Self-titled and All Hands are by far my least favorites. Hell, my favorite song off the self-titled is Lora's Song, lol.

edit:

Also, in reference to this post of mine from last year:

regulargonzalez posted:

Hey cool a S-K thread! So I snagged a ticket to the Denver show, my buddy procrastinated and didn't get one. So if there's any goons in Denver going to S-K and don't mind a tag-along (who is a generally pretty decent guy and also good for a few rounds of drinks), shoot me a PM :)

I have good news. I have since garnered a girlfriend and while she is on the fence about S-K, she's definitely going to the concert with me, already bought her ticket. So I won't be that one weird guy standing by himself off to the side :shobon:

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 21, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

regulargonzalez posted:

Wow, interesting how varied opinions are. I too have The Woods as 1 and Dig Me Out as 1a, but have Hot Rock and One Beat tied for #2, just a tiny bit below those two. Self-titled and All Hands are by far my least favorites. Hell, my favorite song off the self-titled is Lora's Song, lol.
What, not "Slow Song" or "The Last Song"?

God some of those songs have terrible titles.

regulargonzalez posted:

I have good news. I have since garnered a girlfriend and while she is on the fence about S-K, she's definitely going to the concert with me, already bought her ticket. So I won't be that one weird guy standing by himself off to the side :shobon:
This is me at concerts because my friends don't have 'going to concerts' as a hobby, because they're boring.

But I stand in the front.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 21, 2015

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

This is me at concerts because my friends don't have 'going to concerts' as a hobby, because they're boring.

But I stand in the front.

Well I <will> be at the Slowdown that night with friends but feel free to PM me since you're into decent music and throwball and all that, man.

E: And S-K will be one of limited # of bands for which I'll make an effort to get as close to the stage as possible. Which, granted, isn't much of a feat at Slowdown because of the layout, but still.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Real Name Grover posted:

Well I <will> be at the Slowdown that night with friends but feel free to PM me since you're into decent music and throwball and all that, man.

E: And S-K will be one of limited # of bands for which I'll make an effort to get as close to the stage as possible. Which, granted, isn't much of a feat at Slowdown because of the layout, but still.
Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it (it never bothers me to be that weird guy).

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

I'm going to play the role of both you and your friends at the Amsterdam show as I haven't gone to any concerts in years ever since I started getting bored of them (:(), but I'm going to make an exception for Sleater-Kinney (and I'll be going alone).

I'm actually not really feeling the new album yet but I still have to listen to it a few more times. Hopefully it grows on me.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Several years late to the Sleater-Kinney party, but I am all in. This is great music.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

Several years late to the Sleater-Kinney party, but I am all in. This is great music.

Same here, I just got started when I heard they were getting back together. Corin's voice is loving amazing and everything else is fair to awesome.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I tried not to get too excited waiting for No Cities, but I'm enjoying it more than I could have hoped. It really feels like a synthesis of their entire catalog, and great from front to back.
It's such a shame that nobody I know appreciates SK. And on that note, anyone going to the SLC show?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Always "appreciated" S-K but never obsessed over an album of theirs, played it to death, etc...

UNTIL NOW obviously. This is the best rock album I've heard in ages.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

onefish posted:

Always "appreciated" S-K but never obsessed over an album of theirs, played it to death, etc...

UNTIL NOW obviously. This is the best rock album I've heard in ages.
This, holy poo poo. Its gotten me to appreciate their older albums more, even.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Got into them in 2004, and while I love some of their albums it's really The Woods that stands out and remains on regular rotation. Seriously great album. That transition from Let's Call it Love to Nightlight is amazing. Looking forward to hearing the new one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New album is good but didn't really rock my rear end off like Call the Doctor and All Hands On the Bad One did. I'd say it's better than The Woods but worse than those two.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

^^ You're crazy, The Woods is amaaaazing.

Real Name Grover posted:

How is the Slowdown for concerts? I've only been there to drink and play board games, never saw a show there, and now that I live in Colorado I dunno that I ever will. Seemed a decent venue and an adequate replacement for Sokol (where I saw S-K on The Woods tour).

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

regulargonzalez posted:

^^ You're crazy, The Woods is amaaaazing.

How is the Slowdown for concerts? I've only been there to drink and play board games, never saw a show there, and now that I live in Colorado I dunno that I ever will. Seemed a decent venue and an adequate replacement for Sokol (where I saw S-K on The Woods tour).
It's nice. I prefer the Waiting Room, but it's light-years better than the Sokol. Good sound, easy to get a good spot, easy to see the stage from anywhere. I don't really like the way they set up the tables and poo poo, and beer's pricier than at the Waiting Room, but it's pretty nice. I like the balcony, it's cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Woods is amazing as an album in general but I just prefer 3 other S-K albums to it. I guess I just really like their catchy stuff more.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So I haven't listened to the new album yet but I finally decided to check out their discography. I'm really sad I tried to get into Sleater-Kinney with The Woods back in 2005, their earlier stuff would have been perfect for me at that time. Ah well, better late than never. I'm surprised at how much of these albums I like, not a song I hate so far.

Thanks for making this thread!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
The SLC show last night was awesome. Lizzo was a fun opener, and put on a petty long set.
S-K was everything I had been hoping for, and they sure didn't sound like they were coming off a nine year hiatus.
Carrie was playing a white guitar for the No Cities material, but the brown SG came out after a few songs. Personal highlights were Ironclad, Entertain and the sing-along Modern Girl that ended the encore.
I don't know why anyone reading this thread would possibly be on the fence about seeing them, but pull the trigger if you haven't already. I think I'll be looking into seeing them in SF on the second half of the tour.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I met my now-wife just over ten years ago, in the Internet. Long distance relationship. One of the first big things I remember doing for her is helping her buy tickets to S-K's last shows in Portland. She got me hooked on them, and The Woods is one of my favorite albums.

I'm so happy that not only does she get to see maybe her favorite band again, but I get to experience something very rare: I got into Sleater-Kinney after their final album, and then after a long hiatus they came back and are even BETTER. Can't say that often; imagine replacing Sleater-Kinney with Guns and Roses in that sentence.

Heading to Minneapolis this weekend to see them for Valentine's Day, and already have tickets to two more shows in Missouri.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
FWIW:

quote:

Boise Setlist:

PRICETAG
START TOGETHER
FANGLESS
OH!
ONE BEAT
NO CITIES TO LOVE
WHAT'S MINE IS YOURS
GET UP
NO ANTHEMS
ALL HANDS ON THE BAD ONE
BURY OUR FRIENDS
WORDS AND GUITAR
SURFACE ENVY
LIGHT RAIL COYOTE
CALL THE DOCTOR
A NEW WAVE
ENTERTAIN
JUMPERS

Encore:

GIMME LOVE
I WANNA BE YOUR JOEY RAMONE
DIG ME OUT
MODERN GIRL
ONE MORE HOUR

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

O2 for Denver pls

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Boywhiz88 posted:

So I haven't listened to the new album yet but I finally decided to check out their discography. I'm really sad I tried to get into Sleater-Kinney with The Woods back in 2005, their earlier stuff would have been perfect for me at that time. Ah well, better late than never. I'm surprised at how much of these albums I like, not a song I hate so far.

Thanks for making this thread!

That's funny, I'm the exact opposite. The Woods was my introduction and I was bummed that the further back I went the less interesting it all got.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Pretty similar set in Denver, with Dig Me Out subbed in for Joey Ramona in the encore and no Light Rail Coyote. Maybe another song or two were added and they're just not coming to mind? Otherwise I guess it was a bit shorter set.

More thoughts later once I'm not typing on a tablet.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Denver setlist:

Price Tag
Ironclad
Fangless
Get Up
Surface Envy
Oh!
No Anthems
Start Together
No Cities to Love
What's Mine Is Yours
A New Wave
Words and Guitar
One Beat
Bury Our Friends
(dedicated to David Carr)
All Hands on the Bad One
Little Babies
Entertain
Jumpers

Encore:
Gimme Love
Call the Doctor
One More Hour
Modern Girl
Dig Me Out

Differences from Boise:
+Ironclad
+Little Babies
-I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
-Light Rail Coyote

Not a huge fan of Ironclad and really don't like Little Babies, but eh ... neither is my dream setlist (which would surely include O2, Burn Don't Freeze, Turn It On, and The Fox)(e: and Dance Song 97)

This was my second time seeing them in concert, so the following is based on a very small sample size ... but I feel like S-K is better as a studio band. Both times I've seen them (Denver 2015, Omaha 2005) their performance felt somewhat by the numbers, perfunctory. Compared to something like The White Stripes which I saw in 04 or 05 in Kansas City, it's night and day. Even if you're not a fan of The White Stripes, the sheer energy put into their live shows commands respect and admiration. The best live shows just have energy pouring off the stage and being returned by the audience, and the band exploring the songs in ways the album versions only hinted at. Really didn't get that from S-K in either show, with a couple exceptions -- for Gimme Love, Corin turned her guitar duties over to that UK gal they have touring with them and just sang, and the energy level was much higher when she could focus on vocals. And No Anthems was another highlight. Fangless too. I'd say in general, they clearly enjoyed playing the new material much more.

Anyway, still a huge fan and my non-fan girlfriend really enjoyed it too, with her favorite being Modern Girl.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 14, 2015

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
RE: Omaha show

S-K owns, Lizzo owns (leagues better than when I saw her 1.5 years ago)

They played "Turn It On" in the encore so that's all I wanted beyond what I knew they'd play, aside from maybe "Rollercoaster."

Ghost of Reagan Past, you were the guy in the brown suit and bowtie, right?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Real Name Grover posted:

They played "Turn It On" in the encore

:smith:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Real Name Grover posted:

Ghost of Reagan Past, you were the guy in the brown suit and bowtie, right?
:laffo:

No, and I wish I'd seen it.

Show owned so loving hard. I can die happy now.

Sadly they didn't play "One More Hour" so I guess they're gonna have to tour again so I can hear it :colbert:.

EDIT: Also, Lizzo was serious fun

EDIT #2: Now that I'm not exhausted here's my thoughts. A caveat: since I had to miss them on The Woods tour for reasons beyond my control, I've held that bitterness in my heart for a decade, but here are some thoughts.

Corin's voice live is loving incredible. I know that I can sound better in a microphone than in any kind of live setting, because I can concentrate more on singing (and singing while playing?). She's way better than I ever thought, and I thought she was great. Seriously, it was intimidating to see someone that can sing her parts that well and still play. She's got good stage presence (as the encore "Gimme Love" showed--holy loving poo poo). Carrie and her interacted in neat ways on the stage, and Carrie kept up her rock star antics throughout. I thought some of her antics were loving weird, but whatever, people do weird things with guitars in their hands. She's also as good as I hoped: she did some neat stuff to change up the little solos they have in non-Woods songs, and while I kinda wished the breakdown in "What's Mine is Yours" was a bit more...epic...it was good live. The new material was really, really good live, and it's clear they were doing this tour for the new album, not as a way to play the hits. The older songs were a bit heavier than I expected, but this is probably because Carrie used her No Cities setup for most everything (she did bring out the SG for a few tunes). Janet is a loving machine, by the way. When Thor and that metronome got together, everyone thought it was kinda weird, but how can you argue with Janet Weiss? She's so good. My angle didn't give me a good view of what she was doing but she's ridiculous. She just crushed it. Katie Harkin didn't do too much, very wisely, but she did the synth stuff and added some thickness to the back-end by playing rhythm behind Carrie sometimes. I kinda wished the crowd got into it more, because some parts of the crowd seemed really Omaha-bored, but they got into it near the end of the set. The band seemed into it, but it took a while for the kind of energy you'd expect them to exude to really come out. Early tour kinks, most likely. I mean, it's been a long time. They got it going, though, and had a good flow from song to song. A well-designed setlist, though it was missing some of my favorites (which is to be expected since they can only play so much). But A++ would do again.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 14, 2015

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Just got out of the Minneapolis show and holy poo poo. First of all, the music was awesome and perfect etc. but what I want to talk about is the visual aspect. We had a perfect spot to watch Janet the whole time and she is amazing; as Ghost of Reagan Past said, Thor and a metronome. Carrie was amazing with her rock 'n' roll antics. But I'd seen those two before at a Wild Flag show.

So the real highlight for me was watching that amazing, transcendent voice emerge from Corin Tucker. Truly awesome.

Also, Lizzo was awesome and has two new fans.

Finally, I was surprised at how many guys were in the crowd, and my wife said, "the old fans got married." And so it goes.

However... Our hotel was literally one block away from the venue, but even that in Minneapolis in February was enough to make us wish for the sweet warm embrace of death by the time we got there.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Great show in Milwaukee tonight. No "Joey" or "Turn It On," but I'll live :).

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

ExplodingChef posted:

Great show in Milwaukee tonight. No "Joey" or "Turn It On," but I'll live :).

We were at the Riverside Theater a couple of years ago for Gotye and the crowd was full of old fogeys who protested our dancing to the staff. It got to the point that he finally got exasperated and told people to get up and dance. Was there dancing last night?

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.

Golbez posted:

We were at the Riverside Theater a couple of years ago for Gotye and the crowd was full of old fogeys who protested our dancing to the staff. It got to the point that he finally got exasperated and told people to get up and dance. Was there dancing last night?

They actually did pit wristbands and then general admission for the seats, and the whole crowd was standing and dancing the entire show, Lizzo included. Only thing security did was clear the people out of the aisles.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

ExplodingChef posted:

They actually did pit wristbands and then general admission for the seats, and the whole crowd was standing and dancing the entire show, Lizzo included. Only thing security did was clear the people out of the aisles.

Ah, there was no pit for Gotye.

One thing I must mention was Corin singing Gimme Live without playing guitar, just singing; my wife, who has been to many S-K shows, said she had never seen her do that before.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

so this should really go in the "indie" megathread, except there's probably way more listener overlap in this thread and i figure this thread is the one where i'd say "hey if you liked 'No Cities to Love' you'll probably like this too" --

stream the new Screaming Females album at NPR: http://www.npr.org/2015/02/15/384980346/first-listen-screaming-females-rose-mountain
it kicks rear end.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

onefish posted:

so this should really go in the "indie" megathread, except there's probably way more listener overlap in this thread and i figure this thread is the one where i'd say "hey if you liked 'No Cities to Love' you'll probably like this too" --

stream the new Screaming Females album at NPR: http://www.npr.org/2015/02/15/384980346/first-listen-screaming-females-rose-mountain
it kicks rear end.
A couple years back I had an itching for more poo poo like Sleater-Kinney (about a year after the Wild Flag album dropped) and discovered Screaming Females, and it was good. I was kinda hoping for Screamales as the opener, actually. Lizzo was great and I wouldn't trade her for anyone, but oh come the gently caress on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmKvkndndQ
tell me it wouldn't be a perfect pairing

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
When S-K came to Omaha on their pre-hiatus tour, the opener was a band called The Gossip. They were in a similar vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Real Name Grover posted:

When S-K came to Omaha on their pre-hiatus tour, the opener was a band called The Gossip. They were in a similar vein.

They're a fairly well known band, I mean Rick Rubin produced one of their records.

• Locked thread