Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
"A New Wave" video done all Bob's Burgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Of all the things in that video that fall in the category "I didn't know how much I needed this in my life," I think the top of the list is Janet's drumming hair in animated form.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:lol: at the comments about how there's no bass guitar in the video.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Just got back from their Pittsburgh concert. drat that was a good live show, though it took way too long for the audience to really get into it.

e: Janet is amazing to watch.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Toronto show was amazing. They played Let's Call It Love during the encore. :love:

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Toronto show was amazing. They played Let's Call It Love during the encore. :love:

We got that one on night 2 in DC as well. It was rad.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
I picked up Hot Rock today from my local record store's closing sale. I quite like it and will try to collect the rest of their albums.

That's my Sleater-Kinney story. Thanks for reading.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
ah that's a better avatar now

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i've been binging on nothing but s-k for a week and i'm p convinced they're getting me out of a depression and now i have a desperate need for their box set...and tickets for a local show in April. This is a cool thread.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thom and the Heads posted:

i've been binging on nothing but s-k for a week and i'm p convinced they're getting me out of a depression and now i have a desperate need for their box set...and tickets for a local show in April. This is a cool thread.
Listen to some Bikini Kill.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Listen to some Bikini Kill.
Or newer Screaming Females.

I wish they'd release another version of Modern Girl. I like the original song, but what they did in the live show was, in my opinion, far better.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

A couple years back I had an itching for more poo poo like Sleater-Kinney (about a year after the Wild Flag album dropped) and discovered Screaming Females, and it was good. I was kinda hoping for Screamales as the opener, actually. Lizzo was great and I wouldn't trade her for anyone, but oh come the gently caress on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmKvkndndQ
tell me it wouldn't be a perfect pairing

Hey thanks for posting this, I knew their song from Rocksmith but it got a bit lost in all there and I didn't give it a lot of attention, but now I know they're really loving good and I'm learning that song :allears: Marissa is a badass and a lot of their songs would be a good fit for an SK gig without scaring people too much

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What's the percussive instrument in Hot Rock that sounds somewhere between a cowbell and fingers snapping?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Sounds like just a wooden block to me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Golbez posted:

Sounds like just a wooden block to me.

Sounds sharper and shorter than I remember the wood block sounding from my grade school days but I suppose there's all different types.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
There are very few things I'm taking more seriously in my life right now than the constant chronological correctness of my Start Together boxset (which owns in case anyone didn't know or was on the fence). My neighbors above me don't love me.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Just got back from the Amsterdam show. Was awesome. I got two out of the three songs I was hoping for (Youth Decay and Let's Call It Love, but no Light Rail Coyote). Crowd was a bit poo poo, though, felt like even bobbing their heads was a chore to most people. I got the impression most people didn't actually know the band that well, certainly not the new material. The Dig Me Out stuff got the biggest reactions, and also Jumpers, and that's about it I think. Whatever, though, I had fun.

Incidentally this was also the first time I've worn earplugs to a show and while I was concerned it would diminish the experience that wasn't the case at all. I removed them a couple of times to check the difference and was legit horrified at how loud it seemed, I can't imagine exposing my ears to that volume ever again. I think I managed to not aggravate my tinnitus. Either way those things didn't even put a dent in Corin's voice, holy crap. :stare:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I always wear earplugs to concerts. It drowns out crowd noise and the music's so loud I can only hear it clearly with the earplugs in.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
It's better to burn out (your ears) than to fade away. I just prefer rock-and-roll fun.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Oh, man, I loving love Sleater-Kinney. I got The Woods not long after it came out, after hearing so much about them (though I had never heard them), and as soon as "The Fox" came crashing down I was hooked. What a crushingly awesome intro to a band. In all these years I've never given Sleater-Kinney and Call the Doctor an honest listen, though, which I should probably remedy. But everything from Dig Me Out has been in regular rotation since '05-'06.

Shortly after I got into The Woods they announced their hiatus, so I jumped on tickets to their final show (they ended up adding another the next day), in Portland in August '06. The band-crowd connection and emotion was incredible and overwhelming. Interestingly, that show had a professional film crew at it, and for basically the entire time from then until the box set came out their website had a post requesting any live footage or photos people may have had from any era of SK, because they were going to put together a retrospective DVD. That never happened. And the footage from those final two shows has never turned up, either! It was an amazing show. I'd buy a copy of it immediately, if they ever released it.

Suffice to say I have been really excited about the hiatus ending. When the box set was announced, we preordered it. When the album was announced, we preordered it. When Seattle tickets went on sale, my girlfriend went and stood in line and I got in the online queue. I've never done any of this for any other band. I've never been so eager to see another band live as I am to see SK again. And the fact that the new album kicks so much rear end and is a legitimate contender for their best work yet has made it even more exciting.

Also I second wearing earplugs at concerts, it's great. If you're concerned about regular earplugs messing with the music, there are actually musician's earplugs that are supposed to block all frequencies equally. I have a set of Etymotic earplugs of this type and they're definitely more neutral than foam earplugs, but they hurt my ears, so I'll just keep wearing foamies until I find a set of musician's plugs that are comfortable. But I've also had tinnitus since I was a teenager from loud punk shows, so maybe I'm more sensitive to this poo poo now than most people are.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The more I listen to it (and I've been basically listening to it non-stop for the last couple days), the more I think Fangless may be the best song they've ever written. Is there any consensus as to whether it's about someone in particular?

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

Just got back from the Amsterdam show. Was awesome. I got two out of the three songs I was hoping for (Youth Decay and Let's Call It Love, but no Light Rail Coyote). Crowd was a bit poo poo, though, felt like even bobbing their heads was a chore to most people. I got the impression most people didn't actually know the band that well, certainly not the new material. The Dig Me Out stuff got the biggest reactions, and also Jumpers, and that's about it I think. Whatever, though, I had fun.

This was my experience at the Manchester show. Lots of people just standing still and watching. I struggled to see because lots of guys kept pushing in front of us (a lot of women mentioned this too - it seemed particularly ironic considering who we were watching).

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Greyish Orange posted:

This was my experience at the Manchester show. Lots of people just standing still and watching. I struggled to see because lots of guys kept pushing in front of us (a lot of women mentioned this too - it seemed particularly ironic considering who we were watching).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU1bEeKsHs8

Yeah, it's kinda loving sad (also, if you're posting in this thread you'll probably like the documentary if only to hear Corin and Carrie talk about Bikini Kill and riot grrrl).

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

As a heads up for people who don't know, but tonight's Austin concert is going to be live streamed on Youtube.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Watching Corin Tucker sing The Fox live may be the closest I will ever get to laying eyes on the terrifying, glorious visage of God.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 26, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Golbez posted:

Watching Corin Tucker sing The Fox live may be the closest I will ever get to laying eyes on the terrifying, glorious visage of God.
No, God is Alanis Morisette.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I was at the Nashville show on Thursday and it was glorious. Rock n roll is going to be okay after all.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not much to say other than they melted my face at the Hollywood Palladium show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anybody going to Pitchfork Fest?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Ten years ago today, Sleater-Kinney released The Woods. Celebrate by breaking out your copy and rocking out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhZGs08G2is

CrackHoor
Aug 5, 2005
Trophy Wives Mounted

Ten years ago today, Sleater-Kinney released The Woods. Celebrate by breaking out your copy and rocking out!

I will do this, I didn't give it a fair shake when it came out and it never had the chance to hook me like the older albums did. I promise I'll make things right.

In 1997 I was working a lovely gas station job and one of the few perks was yoinking the sampler CD from the CMJ New Music magazine when we pulled them off the shelf to put out the new issue. There were usually one or two decent songs each month, and one month they had "It's Enough" on there. It took a few listens to appreciate Corin's vibrato but I was hooked. I tracked down Dig Me Out and listened to it non-stop and loved it. Loved The Hot Rock, liked All Hands and One Beat. I think No Cities is a fantastic album, after their break it's like rediscovering them all over again.

I don't think this has been posted in here yet, full Washington DC concert from February:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r1-HTiwGiY

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

quote:

12-04 Indianapolis, IN - Old National Centre
12-05 Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
12-06 Cincinnati, OH - Bogarts
12-08 Royal Oak, MI - Royal Oak Music Theatre
12-09 Cleveland, OH - Masonic Auditorium
12-10 Buffalo, NY - Asbury Hall
12-12 Brooklyn, NY - Kings Theatre
12-13 New York, NY - Terminal 5
12-14 New York, NY - Irving Plaza
12-15 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg
12-16 Brooklyn, NY - Market Hotel

More tour dates, including a 5 night run in NYC in venues big to small.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 16, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I am excited to have the chance to completely fail to get tickets to not just one, but five shows

:smith:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

abraham linksys posted:

I am excited to have the chance to completely fail to get tickets to not just one, but five shows

:smith:
Solution: get tickets to all shows!

I would if I lived in NYC...

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Unfortunately, two of the smaller shows go on sale at the same time Friday morning while the rest go on sale at noon. Getting a ticket to all five will be very difficult. They were selling very few five-night passes during today's presale, but they were the first to sell out.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

if you lived in NYC you'd know that this will be impossible to do without either (a) a botnet that monitors ticketing websites and purchases as soon as they are available or (b) literally a thousand dollars

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Got a GA ticket for their Kings Theatre show and another for the Music Hall of Williamsburg through presales. The only other show I really want to go to is at Market Hotel. I'm indifferent towards Irving Plaza and Terminal 5 can rot in hell.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 17, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

currently trying to convince my boss to let me use my corporate Amex card to buy a ticket on Amex presale for Terminal 5. I, too, hate that venue, but it's the only one with presale tickets left and I want some kind of guarantee I will manage to see Sleater-Kinney this December, goddammit :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

NYC: Snagged presale tickets for Irving Plaza. There are still tickets available, password is SONGS: http://concerts.livenation.com/event/00004ED0DFB872BF?REFERRAL_ID=tmfeedbuyat141047&wt.mc_id=aff_BUYAT_141047&camefrom=CFC_BUYAT_141047

Might still try for Market Hotel just because that'll be such a cool venue. Also might try MHoW because it's basically interchangeable with Irving Plaza and a little more convenient; figure I'll flip the other ticket if I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

Might still try for Market Hotel just because that'll be such a cool venue. Also might try MHoW because it's basically interchangeable with Irving Plaza and a little more convenient; figure I'll flip the other ticket if I get it.

Alternatively, now that you have one, go to all of the shows. I've got tickets for Kings, Irving, and MHoW now. If I end up getting a ticket for Market Hotel, I may just bite the bullet and go to Terminal 5 as well. I think I have a problem.

Edit: Definitely do try to go to MHoW, though. It's nearly half the capacity of Irving Plaza and security there is pretty cool.

I also rescind my previous comment about it being difficult to get tix to all five shows, because the staggered pre-sales have been pretty helpful.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 18, 2015

• Locked thread