Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

TheJoker138 posted:

E: Who was the even younger love interest? Annie was a few years older than Audrey.

My understanding was that the actress herself was younger or something, which made MacLahan's stated objection a bit funny. Apparently I was also under the mistaken impression that they were portrayed to be about the same age, as I haven't gotten to those parts yet.

EDIT: I vaguely recall Audrey's actress complaining about something like that. Am I wrong?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Audrey had the best music theme: http://youtu.be/9g1ytVsEA3w

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Badalamenti is a badman

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

TheJoker138 posted:

The only reason they cut the Coop/Audrey relationship short was because MacLachlan was dating Lara Flynn Boyle and she didn't want him making out with Fenn on camera because she didn't like her in real life.

E: Who was the even younger love interest? Annie was a few years older than Audrey.

Well now LFB looks like someone threw a hornets nest at her head so whatever.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sizone posted:

the Nadine, world's oldest teenager thing is bullshit

no because it leads to the story of how ed and her got together and albert's reaction. that alone justifies it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

i like twin peaks

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

but the second part of the second season really started slipping, it's no wonder ratings dropped, season one is a masterpiece

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Weren't they basically making it up as they went along by that point of the second season. Like it was never really intended to run for that long so there was no overarching narrative planned ahead.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

twin peaks is a show about a small town and a cast of eccentric people with all sorts of dirty secrets

the show also features, coincidentally a murder mystery which is like a side thing

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

JFairfax posted:

Weren't they basically making it up as they went along by that point of the second season. Like it was never really intended to run for that long so there was no overarching narrative planned ahead.

I thought they intended to run it longer than season 2 and never intended to reveal the killer??

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Imagine a world where Twin Peaks never revealed the killer, and the 25th season ran this year.

Kinda like The Simpsons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Leroy Dennui posted:

I thought they intended to run it longer than season 2 and never intended to reveal the killer??

This. The studio interference was making them reveal the killer because that's what they thought people wanted to see. How no one went "Wait, if they're watching because they want to see who the killer is, why will they continue to watch after we reveal it?" I'll never understand.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Twin Peaks reminds me of Sam n Max. Goofy detective game without the scary parts.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

lynch didn't want to reveal the killer, frost wanted

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It coming back in 2016 almost makes me think Lynch planned this whole loving thing as a huge mind gently caress, despite it probably just being a happy accident.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

it's a coincidence of the quality of television shows finally catching up to twin peaks

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I happen to be making my way through this show and just hit the episode in Season 2 where We find out Leland is Bob. So far I've enjoyed Season 2 more than Season 1, but due to everyone saying S2 sucks I get the feeling it's going to go downhill from here. Posting so I remember to read this thread in a week when I've finished the show and don't have to worry about spoilers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Atoramos posted:

I happen to be making my way through this show and just hit the episode in Season 2 where We find out Leland is Bob. So far I've enjoyed Season 2 more than Season 1, but due to everyone saying S2 sucks I get the feeling it's going to go downhill from here. Posting so I remember to read this thread in a week when I've finished the show and don't have to worry about spoilers.

You've got a couple episodes left until it hits a major slump, then it's bad (with a few cool spots like David Duchovny showing up) until the last arc starts.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

leland reveal is the high point, it's basically where it almost feels like they wanted to end the show, everything is wrapped up and maybe one epilogue episode would close it nicely, they literally start completely new story arcs at the end of the episode after that as if they really didn't plan it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Palpek posted:

leland reveal is the high point, it's basically where it almost feels like they wanted to end the show, everything is wrapped up and maybe one epilogue episode would close it nicely, they literally start completely new story arcs at the end of the episode after that as if they really didn't plan it.

Doesn't Windom Earle get mentioned pre-reveal? It seems like they just continued on with the story arcs they were already planning (like the Cooper getting in trouble for Canada thing) but without the murder as a spine. So they had to make up bullshit reasons for Cooper to stay in town despite his business there being done and the whole thing just got super shakey.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Palpek posted:

Stopping reading this thread after this post but this makes sense and it's pretty unfortunate because that reveal was some hot poo poo and Lynch really makes you think Leland is a 'nuts but the wacky type of nuts and not the maniac type of nuts' kinda guy. I love movies but I haven't managed to see any of Lynch's work so I guess I'll be going on a binge once I wrap up Peaks. I keep getting him confused with Cronenberg.

Why Laura Palmer was in so deep but rats out everyone but her father is weird.

Called that the Asian businessman was really Catherine as soon as he was on-screen. My wife argued against it. :v: nobody looks that goofy unless it's on purpose.

Oh and I guess Fire Walk With Me comes after the series, but due to the title it sure seems like it's about the Laura Palmer storyline so I dunno.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TheJoker138 posted:

Doesn't Windom Earle get mentioned pre-reveal? It seems like they just continued on with the story arcs they were already planning (like the Cooper getting in trouble for Canada thing) but without the murder as a spine. So they had to make up bullshit reasons for Cooper to stay in town despite his business there being done and the whole thing just got super shakey.
yeah, that's why i mentioned the last epilogue episode where they should have wrapped those loose ends somehow, maybe leave something as eternal mystery

going further with the canada thing was really reaching because honestly it wasn't engaging and there was no reason to give a poo poo, we already went into that as deep as it was necessary

keeping cooper in town because of that did raise an eyebrow and felt forced

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Atoramos posted:

Oh and I guess Fire Walk With Me comes after the series, but due to the title it sure seems like it's about the Laura Palmer storyline so I dunno.
fire walk with me is a prequel - it shows what was happening in town in days leading to the murder and the murder itself

the movie does have its moments and shows neat details about all the characters and has some pretty intense scenes but overall it's not really good

it's also way darker and paranormal than the show, imagine the most intense scenes from the series with all the humor and townsfolk business removed and you get the idea

it was also supposed to be the first part of a trilogy which is why it also feels half-boiled but...the other 2 movies got cancelled :v:

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Palpek posted:

coincidentally a murder mystery which is like a side thing

Not so much a coincidental side thing as a starting point. But not what the show was "about".

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBVLfP-ymUk

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

serious norman posted:

Congrats on becoming a hipster OP

I've been a hipster since at least 2001, and self aware about since at least 2003, please.

So I think I had this all spoiled for me? It's really BOB possessing Laura's dad?

Also have to say, Sheriff Harry Truman might be my favorite character. So far Audrey seems cool for wanting to find Laura's killer not because they were friends, but because Laura helped Audrey's brother and that meant a lot to her. She seems genuine but may have ulterior motives I dunno

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 25, 2014

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I just finished twin peaks for the first time the other day and really enjoyed it all the way through, even the parts that people didn't like in season 2. I think windom earle is loving cool as hell and all of his dialogue was really funny/interesting.

i watched fire walk with me yesterday and it was really depressing and grim but i still really enjoyed it a lot. makes you simultaneously dislike and feel sympathetic for how hosed up an individual laura really was. i didn't really understand some of the earlier scenes in the movie like the part when the one detective disappears, also the first major hallucination scene. also when cooper gets all freaky in the hallway at FBI HQ and does the thing with the security camera, followed by the david bowie scene.

please someone explain those for me

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

soscannonballs posted:

If you are watching it for Audrey Horne then you are watching it right.

Seriously

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Atoramos posted:

I love movies but I haven't managed to see any of Lynch's work so I guess I'll be going on a binge once I wrap up Peaks.

lynch is a boss filmmaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmof9ax_GS0

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Callick posted:

I just finished twin peaks for the first time the other day and really enjoyed it all the way through, even the parts that people didn't like in season 2.
the second half of season 2 is worse than the rest of the series but this doesn't change the fact that it was still majorly entertaining and had some great scenes and honestly it was still better than anything that aired on tv for quite some time anyway

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

also i found it hilarious that during a murder investigation like 10 other people end up dead in the same town in a short time period. cooper is the worst detective ever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

a pro-click where the music composer describes how he came up with the main theme in cooperation with lynch, he's great at telling the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwvSFOEfHJE

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Palpek posted:

the second half of season 2 is worse than the rest of the series but this doesn't change the fact that it was still majorly entertaining and had some great scenes and honestly it was still better than anything that aired on tv for quite some time anyway

can yiu please answer the questions i have about fwwm in my previous post tia

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

let's see, the detective most likely disappears to the black lodge after touching the ring that belonged there. he was basically way to weak for the case which needed somebody like cooper. a neat detail is that the trailer he goes to is called 'the arm' and there is a man connected to the black lodge who cut off his arm in order to escape the lodge - mike

i don't remember what was the first hallucination scene but most of them have to do with the black lodge characters and as such they're made deliberately weird/paranormal/scary in order to show that it's 'the other place' - a place different than reality

cooper going freaky is him realizing he's witnessing his own dream happening in real life to the point of dream-like, impossible situations happening. the scene with david bowie was originally way longer, it had dialogue where he explained what happened to him but in the end lynch deliberatly editted it all into a fever-like sequence. what you should take from it is that david bowie's character was an fbi agent who disappeared into the black lodge and the sequences show what he describes he saw there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

me and my girlfriend started watching twin peaks just a month or so ago and got to s2e9 like a day before they announced the show was coming back. it's funny because we decided to stop on that episode and in all honesty it seemed like a good end point, but drat

I guess we have to watch the finale at least now, but the missus doesn't want to watch it because she doesn't want to see Coop turn evil. To be honest I think it's because she fancies him, but so do I so I can't complain. Cucked by Coop. Coocked. Cupped. drat fine cucking. And HOT.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2j2-1V3Vw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BghhUJA5jcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krb6qul_ZVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u32k97GKcQ

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

Thanks for answering my questions.