Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
While we wait, does anyone want to explain some of the game mechanics with a bit more detail? I love this game, and have played it to completion a couple of times, but I've never really understood some things. For example, some powers cause a stench, or uneasiness, but I don't think I've ever found out what that means, mechanically. Sometimes I'll see mortals with a 'X2' particle effect, but I don't have any idea what caused it. Is there any way to get a Possessed mortal to gain fear without dismissing the ghost possessing them, as in all my playthroughs, they seem immune to everything, although they gain belief at a steady rate. Is there a way to make child-feterred ghosts suck less?

It's a great game, but it leaves a lot of things unexplained. Perhaps some of the fan-sequels will be better at revealing how to exploit all the little game mechanics... if they ever get finished, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

Emissary666 posted:

There is no way to make child-fetters suck less. Fortunately, there is no way to make them suck more. The fact that possessed mortals don't gain fear is actually in the player's benefit, it prevents them from disrupting your plans by running away; the belief bonus makes it much easier to scare them away once you are finished with them.

Actually, I find it more of a detriment. The 'correct' way to handle this bit of game design, in my opinion at least, is to allow possessed mortals to gain fear (at a reduced rate, for balance, and not from the possessing ghost's actions), but be prevented from fleeing until the ghost is manually dismissed, or perhaps by gaining madness instead (because all this spooky stuff is happening ONLY wherever they go). Having them gain no fear whatsoever doesn't make much sense to me, and just annoys me when I'm flicking through the stats and see someone with 0 fear, only to realise when I zoom to them that they're possessed.

Edit: And another I'd like to bring up is sound abilities. Is there any easy way to know their range? Do some sounds have effects beyond their tool-tip description (Like the above mentioned Rattle Chains)?

The Watercrown fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 17, 2014

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

EclecticTastes posted:

Arclight is the best ghost with Possess, anyway, and fire causes fear in possessed mortals, probably due to a bug. Pretty sure possessed mortals gain madness normally from powers that cause it.

I meant gaining madness instead of fear, to keep them from fleeing, but still allowing your powers to be useful. I'll keep Arclight in mind, though, even if it is a bug.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I thought that those spooky circles centered on the ghosts using their powers were meant to communicate their range, but it's been a while since I played this game and I could be wrong.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that the 'used a power' circles are a bit unreliable for judging range of effect on mortals. It's accurate when distributing damage to objects, but I've noticed it isn't when it comes to mortals *cough quake cough*, though it could just be that some of them aren't reacting, for whatever reason.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

EclecticTastes posted:

Quake affects most of the map in terms of fear (and Tremor affects nearby areas), much like how weather powers will always affect the entire outdoors area when used outside, rather than being localized to the single fetter zone, and noise powers have a range based on their volume and any ongoing powers that might amplify them. Other than that, though, powers are generally localized to the room they're in (or just a vaguely-defined vicinity for outdoors power use).

Maybe it's just because I used it indoors, but whenever I've used Quake, the entire map recieves damage, but only mortals in the same room gain any fear. No one else seems to react until they step into the same room as the ghost, at which point they start cowering and gain the red terror rings, like they should've been doing when everything started exploding from the vibrations.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

I've done some testing, and Quake does not cause any fear outside of the 'room' that the ghost is fettered in. Please note that a 'room' means the segment of the map that gets highlighted when you bind an indoor/outdoor fettered ghost, which means Quake is basically useless at inspiring fear unless mortals step on mud, or spend a lot of time around potted plants.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

I'd disagree with the effectiveness of the police station's bonsai plant (mortals begin to avoid it very quickly, and there are several other exists that they seem to prefer even when you don't use that area for scares), but it's undeniably the easiest, and probably earliest way to obtain Quake in the game.

And just so we always have more fodder for discussion, let's talk strategy when there's a risk of haunters being banished. I usually resort to benching a ghost as soon as the warning alarm sounds, but obviously this is quite annoying to do. Who's got a better tactic?

The Watercrown fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

EclecticTastes posted:

Tag that poo poo, man.

If you insist. I understand spoilering vaguely referencing that you can unlock Bonsai early , though I'm not sure why you want the fact that ghosts can be banished spoilered when it's clearly marked as a -25,000 penalty in every results screen.

• Locked thread