Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which kind of tortilla is the best
Flour
Corn
View Results

• Locked thread
Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Kukash posted:

whatever taco bell uses because i am a huge man baby who has never had "authentic mexican food" whatever that is LOL.
The one time I had anything even close to actual Mexican food it happened to coincide with a horrible stomach bug that had me puking and making GBS threads my guts out hours later. My stupid monkey brain linked the two so any time I smell... I guess, refried beans? Whatever it is, I get really nauseous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Corn, but they either need to be soft corn tortillas or fried soft corn tortillas to make hard corn tortillas.

Flour tortillas are only acceptable for quesadillas and burritos.

Purchased hard shell corn tortillas are a crime against humanity and anyone caught making or consuming them should be shot.

:commissar:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

they do a thing in san antonio where they deep fry flour tortillas and they puff up and call them puffy tacos. pretty good stuff.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

LifeSizePotato posted:

they do a thing in san antonio where they deep fry flour tortillas and they puff up and call them puffy tacos. pretty good stuff.

Yes, this is only done in San Antonio.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

something clever posted:

Yes, this is only done in San Antonio.

i know. it's one of our many gifts to the world. (you're welcome, btw.)

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
They both have their place, but the tie-breaker is which is better for fajitas and thus the winner is corn.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

corn is good but flour tortillas are more practical for mexican food applications, i m o

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

misdirectomy posted:

They both have their place, but the tie-breaker is which is better for fajitas and thus the winner is corn.

Also for those not in the know. Fajitas refers to skirt steak and skirt steak alone, shrimp fajitas are just grilled shrimp FYI. I love grilled shrimp tacos pretty boss imo.

Phaxtor
Sep 18, 2014

by XyloJW

Yaldabaoth posted:

I'm normally not one to complain about what people eat but corn really should be banned from consumption because it's used to make high fructose syrup and that poo poo will gently caress you up even in moderate amounts. Instead America should use its vast corn reserves to make ethanol so it doesn't have to buy oil from lovely muslim tyrants who just use the profits to stab America in the back

So I guess this is a vote for flour

I loving hate ethanol gas and because of this I am voting for corn.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

corn is the only real tortilla imo

flour tortillas are alright too and essential for burritos but I think that the word "tortillas" with no additional qualifiers should always refer to corn

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Tortilla babé, putos

But for mexican style tortillas, last time I made some tacos, I used a mixture of like 60% wheat flour, and 40% polenta. It was good. 100% corn is way too brittle.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

But for mexican style tortillas, last time I made some tacos, I used a mixture of like 60% wheat flour, and 40% polenta. It was good. 100% corn is way too brittle.
:wth: woa, never thought of doing that

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rod Munch posted:

I get the Mission Carb Balance Flour ones. They have enough fiber to make you poo poo trains.

La Burrito Company makes some with like 20g of fiber a piece. Your rear end in a top hat will be oozing shitgoop

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

LifeSizePotato posted:

what?

There's some lazy poo poo you do over here, where you fry a flour tortilla and add honey and eat it like a sad sack of fatness.

And if you deep fry a taco of corn tortilla, that's technically a goddamn flauta.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

okay, the reason i said "in san antonio" is because i know of at least 3 restaurants that claim to be the place that invented the puffy taco. tranquilense, gueyes

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

LifeSizePotato posted:

hmm ive never heard of this before and im sure its not just another name for frybread....

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

hmm ive never heard of this before and im sure its not just another name for frybread....

you should make a trip to san antonio, the only place where that exists, so you can try it

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
corn for tacos and tortilla chips

flour for everything else

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Also, San Antonio is pretty great. You should go there for a number of reasons.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

here's the local delicacy known as a puffy taco, for those who have never been able to make it to san antonio

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

mango sentinel posted:

Were is the best Mex restaurant in town, been awhile since I visited but I know it aint on the drat Riverwalk.

Also as a native Texan I gotta admit New Mexico has bomb rear end Mexican food.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

LifeSizePotato posted:

here's the local delicacy known as a puffy taco, for those who have never been able to make it to san antonio

I don't know why I thought they would look more like buńuelos. You win again America.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Corn, but they must be baked to a leathery texture. Flour is a poor imitation of a properly baked corn tortilla.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 25, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

texaholic posted:

Were is the best Mex restaurant in town, been awhile since I visited but I know it aint on the drat Riverwalk.

Also as a native Texan I gotta admit New Mexico has bomb rear end Mexican food.

la fonda on main. it's got fajitas for gringos but also has good interior mexican food

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Since they're little cakes, they should make it with flour. Who makes cakes with corn?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Corn tortillas are the superior lengua delivery device

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
Flour sorry.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW

mango sentinel posted:

Sorry I don't like republicans.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

England Sucks posted:

Sorry I don't like republicans.

san antonio is pretty liberal for the texas stereotype. we had super-democrat julian castro as mayor, and the lgbt scene is pretty big

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

LifeSizePotato posted:

HAHAHAHAH

DUDE

That's loving panuchos, probably some dude from Yucatan changed the name because gringos couldn't pronounce panucho:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

uhhh pretty sure the first person to think of deep frying a flour tortilla and putting taco stuff on it was davy crockett at the alamo. sorry.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

that food was invented in America you scum

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Nah, it was probably a bored Spaniard.

Edit; They also look lovely, wouldn't eat.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Corn's healthier and just as good.... *snff* it's JUST AS GOOD :qq:

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

LifeSizePotato posted:

on the border of sonora you can get sonoran tacos which are tacos dorados (aka taquito or flauta or just rolled tacos) made with a soft, uncooked flour tortilla that's fried til it puffs a bit. i prefer them to fried corn tacos dorados but probably not to fresh soft corn tacos.

This is amazing tho and I am glad the dude filming it is as excited as I would be, just wanna eat it off the grill drat

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Tortilla with shrimps and Oaxaca cheese. Goes well with beer.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Everyone's forgetting about El Salvador cuisine, though. I used to live in Southern California. I went to this little mom and pop restaurant, and their homemade flour and corn tortillas were out of this world.

Also, Pupusas:

And Huaraches:

Might not look like much to the uninitiated but it's some of the best food I've eaten, and dirt cheap. [doobie]wash it down with a cold horchata[/doobie]

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Are huaraches salvadoran?? I had it a few months ago for the first time at a local mexican place but it's the only place in town I've seen that serves it and they were selling it as super mexican with like chile colorado on the left, a white cheese sauce mix thing in the middle, and chile verde on the right. I was under the impression it was either a lesser known mexican dish or like an original creation, but if it's actually salvadoran then gently caress yes now i know roughly where to get more

also yes pupusas are good although I dislike the coleslaw poo poo

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

pepito sanchez posted:

Everyone's forgetting about El Salvador cuisine, though. I used to live in Southern California. I went to this little mom and pop restaurant, and their homemade flour and corn tortillas were out of this world.

Also, Pupusas:

And Huaraches:

Might not look like much to the uninitiated but it's some of the best food I've eaten, and dirt cheap. [doobie]wash it down with a cold horchata[/doobie]
pupusas are very good never tried huaraches though :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
I'm lazy to do the research but it was indeed a Salvadorian restaurant, and it's the only place I ever ate Huaraches. Pupusas are obviously Salvadorian in origin. Yes, the coleslaw sucks, but from my experiences with Pupusas you can get it extra vinegary or just normal. I actually like it extra-vinegary.

I really dislike Salvadorian style Horchata, though. It literally tastes like you're drinking liquified bubblegum. Mexican-style is better.

• Locked thread