Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
COMPUTERS ARE GOING NOWHERE MY NEPHEW ISNT MAKING MONEY TAKE IT FROM ME IM THE SAMPLE LADY AT COSTCO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
guidance counselors do this for a living

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
I have a decent computer job and I don't feel like I really know anything about computers, OP. Good luck!

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
"Computer job"/"I work with computers" - Works in an ISP call centre/IT Help desk.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

maybe the sample lady at costco made millions as a savvy wall street investor and is enjoying her retirement at age 40, op

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
no

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I usually get more tut-tutting about not being paid enough from rich snots who are in denial about how lucky they are to be thriving in the market economy. There's a lot of "you should have made a lot of better choices" and "you're acting entitled." I wasn't aware deciding to work in medicine as anything other than a Doctor/Nurse was a worthless use of time and wanting to be able to afford healthcare half as good as the kind I provide is now entitlement.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

My wife's cousin won 2 mil in the lottery, quit his job, bought a new house/boat/car, decided he would get into real estate development. Told me I should quit and come work for him because flipping houses is great money.

1.5 years later he is almost broke, has a couple buildings that are gutted but will probably never be finished, still refers to himself as a 'real estate investor', gets upset when people find out he won lottery and is not a self made millionaire.

Still tells me I should come work for him lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lol at someone thinking 2 million is "I can do whatever I want" money.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

for real, it's gotta be at least like $20mil before taxes before i'd consider that

$2mil would just make me not worry about retirement or taking nice vacations

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's so dumb even the other nouveau riche morons make fun of him.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Yes. I dont even have a good job, and it never will be a good job, but it is "real". But most recently someone who's only ever worked at a movie theater (albeit a sweet one with beer) was trying to give me nonsensical career advice like "get a minor in chemistry" along with a "CCNA" so I can work for DOW.

?????????????????????????????????? I just said ok sounds like a plan ill look into it and steered the convo somewhere else

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

most of the "career advice" i hear is from people talking about their mlm scams and how they're way better to get into than college

it's mostly just bored house wives at least

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

mind the walrus posted:

I usually get more tut-tutting about not being paid enough from rich snots who are in denial about how lucky they are to be thriving in the market economy. There's a lot of "you should have made a lot of better choices" and "you're acting entitled." I wasn't aware deciding to work in medicine as anything other than a Doctor/Nurse was a worthless use of time and wanting to be able to afford healthcare half as good as the kind I provide is now entitlement.

Falsely believing you are entitled to the best quality care when your job will easily be replaced by automation in the next 5 years is basically the text book definition of entitled.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
yeah this is like people who have never been parents saying stupid poo poo like "don't spank your kids, it's bad."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plafop posted:

Falsely believing you are entitled to the best quality care when your job will easily be replaced by automation in the next 5 years is basically the text book definition of entitled.

That's some pretty good bait. Did you pick that up locally or do you grow your own?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Sojenus posted:

most of the "career advice" i hear is from people talking about their mlm scams and how they're way better to get into than college

it's mostly just bored house wives at least

i knew a guy (fundamentalist baptist, which i think is relevant) who as long as i knew him hopped from mlm to mlm, and always with this smug superiority complex of "heh, i'm just not content to work for other people like you are"

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sound posted:

My wife's cousin won 2 mil in the lottery, quit his job, bought a new house/boat/car, decided he would get into real estate development. Told me I should quit and come work for him because flipping houses is great money.

1.5 years later he is almost broke, has a couple buildings that are gutted but will probably never be finished, still refers to himself as a 'real estate investor', gets upset when people find out he won lottery and is not a self made millionaire.

Still tells me I should come work for him lol

Oh man this guy has sucker written all over him its a real shame you didn't recognize this sooner and bilk the poo poo out of him

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

i knew a guy (fundamentalist baptist, which i think is relevant) who as long as i knew him hopped from mlm to mlm, and always with this smug superiority complex of "heh, i'm just not content to work for other people like you are"

Why do some people think that just because you can't actively see/trace your bosses and overlords that means that they don't exist? It's like when a child is too young to know that the adult doesn't actually disappear during peekaboo, but instead it's a result of poor education and a premature eagerness to believe in the lie of total independence.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

mind the walrus posted:

That's some pretty good bait. Did you pick that up locally or do you grow your own?

What do you do that you deserve to be waited on hand and foot? What indispensable service do you offer to society?

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

mookface posted:

Oh man this guy has sucker written all over him its a real shame you didn't recognize this sooner and bilk the poo poo out of him

Best part was they were literally 100% broke before the lotto, she's a nurse he was an EMT. An they actually bought 3 new cars including new Lexus for their 16yo daughter lol. They have both quit their jobs.

I got some free poo poo and I go break his toys when I can.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Why do some people think that just because you can't actively see/trace your bosses and overlords that means that they don't exist? It's like when a child is too young to know that the adult doesn't actually disappear during peekaboo, but instead it's a result of poor education and a premature eagerness to believe in the lie of total independence.

he was especially convinced by one mlm because he went to a conference/extended sales pitch they were having in vegas and there were a bunch of ferraris and bentleys parked out front. with a little determination he was gonna be a self-made millionaire king like those guys

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plafop posted:

What do you do that you deserve to be waited on hand and foot? What indispensable service do you offer to society?

That's less good. You definitely bought this bait wholesale and didn't refrigerate it properly. I think there are some fishing threads in FYAD maybe you should ask them what to do.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

mind the walrus posted:

That's less good. You definitely bought this bait wholesale and didn't refrigerate it properly. I think there are some fishing threads in FYAD maybe you should ask them what to do.

errr umm haha nice TROLLING there mister, why don't you heh GO BACK TO FYAD

*oh jeez i hope he didn't notice i'm too embarrassed to say what i do for a living*

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Man it's not hard to flip houses for even a modest return if you have even a million in capital. Idiot

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

See, that's better.

I'm not actually responding because you clearly didn't read what I actually wrote and are using canned talking points to get a rise out of me. I mean nice try, but the alternative is to actually believe you're as dumb as you sound and well that's just sad.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sound posted:

Best part was they were literally 100% broke before the lotto, she's a nurse he was an EMT. An they actually bought 3 new cars including new Lexus for their 16yo daughter lol. They have both quit their jobs.

I got some free poo poo and I go break his toys when I can.

Realistically 2 mil is enough to retire on for anyone if you're not an idiot. Low risk investments can yield an easy 10% return. Buying three brand new luxury cars right off the hop is one of the dumbest things you could do.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

mind the walrus posted:

See, that's better.

I'm not actually responding because you clearly didn't read what I actually wrote and are using canned talking points to get a rise out of me. I mean nice try, but the alternative is to actually believe you're as dumb as you sound and well that's just sad.

I unironically don't believe you deserve top quality care for whatever poo poo job you do in a hospital.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mookface posted:

Realistically 2 mil is enough to retire on for anyone if you're not an idiot. Low risk investments can yield an easy 10% return. Buying three brand new luxury cars right off the hop is one of the dumbest things you could do.

Yeah 2 mil is enough if you're willing to live a comfy middle class lifestyle with decent "replace every 5 years" things, but for some reason people insist on trying to prove their status instead of just enjoying that they have all the basics and a few luxuries covered.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plafop posted:

I unironically don't believe you deserve top quality care for whatever poo poo job you do in a hospital.

And I said I deserved care half as good. Your reading comprehension is poo poo buddy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Plafop posted:

I unironically believe you should be castrated and thrown out a window! :D

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Plafop posted:

huh, i didn't realize people were usually willing to come out and straight say that

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Effectronica posted:

I unironically believe you should be castrated and thrown out a window! :D

The term is defencastrated

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

huh, i didn't realize people were usually willing to come out and straight say that

It'd be offensive it wasn't so impotent.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Sure 2 million is enough to retire... if you live exactly as frugally as you did before - forever. And I was kind of assuming that's pre tax, and honestly it'd be easy as gently caress to waste that money really fast. I'd use that money to very leisurely go to school and get a job I may actually like regardless of the pay, so I could you know, save some of that million.

Now using it for real estate is a low effort yet effective way to make that money last, but ... sounds like he hosed up and was stupid.

Pro tip: for the laziest low effort of all, buy swanky city apartments with high rent and a property manager.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

mind the walrus posted:

And I said I deserved care half as good. Your reading comprehension is poo poo buddy.

Well you probably don't deserve that either

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plafop posted:

And you're a mean poopyhead and no one likes you and you smell

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Plafop posted:

*Plafop sits quietly fuming at the radiology technicians as he's loaded into the MRI. the scan completes, and it reveals that his spinal cord has twisted into the word human being. he is quickly prescribed cyanide*

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
This isn't some star trek post scarcity utopia we're living in. The best things go to those who can afford them. Maybe you should have studied harder in school if you wanted better things, just be grateful you live in a country where you've even got that opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Real talk anyone who isn't an engineer prob deserves to starve in the street.

• Locked thread