Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
OP, you should amend thread to KOOKABURRA licorice only, will not post further until changes are made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

StoryTime posted:

This is the good poo poo:

http://www.dutchsweets.com/fazer-fazer-tyrkisk-peber-fazer-turkish-pepper-p-393.html

"It's filled with salty hate." -Jeff Gerstmann 2008

As much as I love Tyrkisk pepper, dundersalt, and every other scandinavian salmiak/salty licorice variant, I just discovered THIS, and my god the Icelanders just nailed licorice.

(For those whithout taste-o-vision installed, it's black licorice covered in chocolate and then a layer of super salty salmiak licorice)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kjetting fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 25, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

kjetting posted:

As much as I love Tyrkisk pepper, dundersalt, and every other scandinavian salmiak/salty licorice variant, I just discovered THIS, and my god the Icelanders just nailed licorice.

(For those whitout taste-o-vision installed, it's black licorice covered in chocolate and then a layer of super salty salmiak licorice)

there's a whole bunch of variants of these around, including some ridiculously expensive ones, but they are indeed great. chocolate and licorice combined is awesome. there are also licorice chocolate bars available here.

anybody down with licorice ice cream?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Salt liquorice ice cream is unironically the best ice cream.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mercrom posted:

Salt liquorice ice cream is unironically the best ice cream.

agreed brother

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Bought these today:

If you ignore the stupid name (hello 90s) they are ok.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
black licorices bitter taste is meant to remind you of your own mortality

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

SplitSoul posted:

honourable mentions in the sweeter end of the spectrum

heksehyl ("witch's howls")

skolekridt ("blackboard chalk")

yes

StoryTime posted:

This is the good poo poo:

http://www.dutchsweets.com/fazer-fazer-tyrkisk-peber-fazer-turkish-pepper-p-393.html

"It's filled with salty hate." -Jeff Gerstmann 2008

double yes!

SplitSoul posted:

anybody down with licorice ice cream?

yes

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
gross

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My dad used to buy good and plenty... those are like candy coated licorice right? Those are kinda good. The licorice brock jelly beans were a bit strong. I probably wouldn't mind regular black licorice. I don't like Anise in curries though.

I could never eat black licorice in large quantities I don't think. The flavor like starts to pile up on you after a few.

Should I try some of the weirdo ammonium chloride variety? Ammonia is in pee so I've always kinda been like ehhhh.... Salt is awesome though.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Wendigee posted:

Should I try some of the weirdo ammonium chloride variety? Ammonia is in pee so I've always kinda been like ehhhh.... Salt is awesome though.

Ammonium chloride is just another type of salt, like monosodium glutamate, or MSG. Acids react with bases to produce salts that you then put in your mouth because they taste good. And that ammonia in your pee has to come from somewhere, so it's basically the circle of life.

I'd start with the Hexehyl, they're pretty casual.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

StoryTime posted:

Ammonium chloride is just another type of salt, like monosodium glutamate, or MSG. Acids react with bases to produce salts that you then put in your mouth because they taste good. And that ammonia in your pee has to come from somewhere, so it's basically the circle of life.

I'd start with the Hexehyl, they're pretty casual.

have you had Good and Plenty? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_%26_Plenty

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StoryTime posted:

Try some magnesium sulfate sometime, you might be surprised.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I think I've had a similar candy, they're hard, crunchy and sugary on the outside with a licorice center. I seem to remember them having quite bit of anis flavor as well. Most salmiak products don't have that much sugar in them, they're just salt all the way. The Hexehyls are covered with sugar, which is why I thought it'd be a place to start.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Try some magnesium sulfate sometime, you might be surprised.

I love chemistry. :yayclod:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

It's fun to get a bag of just the white ones and act like you're just cramming pills into your maw. People give you the strangest looks. :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StoryTime posted:

I love chemistry. :yayclod:
So much fun, isn't it? Don't worry, though. I wouldn't recommend anything poisonous. It's just a funny thing to do to challenge your preconceptions about what things are supposed to taste like.

The Core
Feb 17, 2011
Eat some black licorice and then move on to some delicious Jaegermeister.

Look at how classy it is!

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

give me salmiakki or give me death

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The Core posted:

Eat some black licorice and then move on to some delicious Jaegermeister.

Look at how classy it is!

Salmiakki vodka is even better. One package of Tyrkisk Peber mixed in 0,5 litres of vodka.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 26, 2014

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

It's fun to get a bag of just the white ones and act like you're just cramming pills into your maw. People give you the strangest looks. :)

uhhh you can do that? link plz?

Also i had no idea that the salty licorice had no sugar in it. Licorice would be inedible if it wasn't sweetened. loving pass.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Wendigee posted:

uhhh you can do that? link plz?

Also i had no idea that the salty licorice had no sugar in it. Licorice would be inedible if it wasn't sweetened. loving pass.

I mean, I don't know of a place that will acquiesce to the autistic desire of only one color good & plenty. It's not like I can order just the goods or the plentys, but you can order them in bulk and just eat one then the other you neurotic spaz.

http://www.nuts.com/chocolatessweets/licorice/candy-coated/

Oh and

gently caress you. Just on general principle.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

StoryTime posted:

I think I've had a similar candy, they're hard, crunchy and sugary on the outside

:eng101: dragée

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

used to eat these by the thousands when I was regularly driving cross country in a shitbox car with bad steering, it took minimal hand-off-the-wheel time to pour a box down my face

the pink ones taste the best cause they're colored with bugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Every time I fly through Finland I pick up a bottle of this liquid slice of heaven:

It is not sold here because it is too tasty. :(

• Locked thread