Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its Lords of the Fallen!

Release Date: October 28th 2014
Its out!! :toot:

Available on PC, Xbone, and PS4.
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/265300/

What is Lords of the Fallen?
Its a European Dark Souls-like game from German developer Deck13 and Polish developer CI Games, published by Bandai and Squaresoft.

Medieval dungeon hack and slash with physical, weighty combat, magic spells, big bosses, treasures, dungeons, etc.

Gameplay is designed to be challenging with several unique bosses that have different phases for you to learn.
That said, the core game is supposed to be fairly do-able for most gamers and less brutally punishing than Dark Souls, while there are optional challenges scattered about which are much more on the "prepare to die" level of crushing difficulty.

There is sadly no multiplayer (although the developers have expressed interest in potentially doing multi-player in a sequel) but the combat looks very well done, and the graphics and art design of the game overall are exceptional.

Whats like Dark Souls?
Long creepy dungeon levels with hidden treasures, full of traps and enemies to fight.
Bonfires Checkpoints, which recharge your estus flask potions
Combat uses R1 and R2, several different weapons with different fighting styles. Stamina management is key.
Weapons have base damage and scaling damage based on your attributes.
Can use shield to block attacks or can roll to avoid attacks. Can fight dual wield style as well.
Equipment burden / weight changes your roll and mobility.
Poise stat that allows for stagger resistance / break.
Backstabbing. Alternating between two-handing and one-handing.
Starting "class" builds, but they just give you initial equipment and you can progress from there as you like.
When you die, you drop a "ghost" where you died containing all the souls experience you've earned during that life.
Multiple spell trees to play with.
New Game+, New Game++. (No further) No level cap.
Lore descriptions on items.

Whats Different?
No Multiplayer! Obviously this means no invasions, and nothing like the covenants.
No Humanity! I haven't seen anything in game yet about losing health each time you die or getting cursed.
In general less punishing than the dark souls series, but with optional challenges that are rewarding.
Going longer without using a bonfire checkpoint gives you an experience bonus.
Optional challenge fights that are more difficult and reward you with bonuses.
Special conditions for defeating bosses a specific way with rewards.
You actually get a slight buff when near your ghost, which you can potentially take advantage of to help with boss fights?
Experience is spent separately on either attributes or spells. You get to pick where it goes.
Seems like there are fewer spells overall, but spells can be highly customized.
You do not get to customize your character, instead everybody plays the same dude.
More direct story, with actual RPG dialogue trees. There will also be dark souls style item description lore and even lore cards.
Not made by From Software so the PC port might actually be good.
You must commit to one of the three magic trees, and can only learn the other spells on new game+.
Attacks can be held down to "charge" them, using more stamina but dealing more damage. It feels good.
Timing your attacks just right will create combo attacks.
Enemies only re-spawn when you die, not when you access a checkpoint.
You can bank souls at the checkpoint so you won't lose them if you die, even if you don't have enough to level up.
Banking souls will reset the experience bonus you've earned, however.

The Story:
"The game is set in a world where no sin is forgotten. Players take on the role of Harkyn, a convicted criminal whose sins are visible on his face, in the form of runes. The world's rulers are working to banish all evil from humans; it is unclear what exactly this might mean for someone like Harkyn. When an army of long-defeated gods attacks the human realm, Harkyn is released from prison with a chance at redemption. Along with his mentor, Kaslo, the journey to stop the attacks leads to Rhogar, another dimension inhabited by demons. Players can form alliances as they progress, combat enemies of ever-increasing difficulty, and eventually travel to the heart of the demonic realm, in an effort to achieve forgiveness for the anti-hero, Harkyn."

Three starting classes: Cleric, Rogue, and Warrior.
Class largely doesn't matter. It determines your starting attributes and starting equipment.
You get the other two classes equipment after the first boss (10 minutes into the game) and can equip any of them or any other gear you get, as long as you meet the attribute requirements to equip the weapons.

Warrior has a sword and shield, starts with the highest strength and the best armor. But has the worst mobility (heavy).
Rogue starts with dual swords/daggers, starts with the highest agility and is the most mobile, but has the worst armor and a buckler shield.
The Cleric is in-between, starts with highest faith and with an okay shield and medium armor and mobility.
Like Dark Souls you should be able to find the other classes armor later in the game as well as many other sets.

Stats:
Strength - Damage dealt with Strength based weapons and also slightly increases your ability to carry heavier gear.
Vitality - Determines the amount of your Health. It also has a slight effect on health potion effectiveness.
Faith - Increases the amount of Magic you can use with spells and the Gauntlet. It also boosts the damage of magical weapons.
Endurance - Increases the amount of Energy you have and significantly increases the ability to carry heavy gear.
Agility - Boosts the damage dealt with fast weapons, but also gives you a slight increase in Energy.
Luck - Get better rewards for killing opponents and also helps you get better crafting materials.

Equip Load: Like Dark Souls your weight determines your mobility.
< 40% of maximum weight, green color, will give you the "light" physics. You move fast, turn fast, jump far and roll far. Feels like Dark Souls.
40%-80% of maximum weight, white color, will give you "medium" physics. You feel a little clunky, but can still roll and jump.
80%-100% of weight, yellow color, will give you "heavy" physics. The roll barely moves at all, and your jump is more of a hop. Shield is your friend.
> 100% of weight, red color, will make you over-encumbered. You can equip this, but you walk VERY slowly and cannot run or roll at all.

Magic: When you start you pick one of three magic trees; Deception, Solace, and Brawn.
Each contain a handful of spells, mostly related to creating mirror images of yourself to distract enemies or even fight them with you.
Magic spells are extremely powerful, almost like a co-op ally to fight for you and help distract bosses.
You must commit yourself to one of the three trees permanently, and you get access to another one in new game+.

Offensive, ranged magic is entirely separate and independent from the magic "trees" you pick from.
Throughout the game you get magic "gauntlets" which work to cast offensive spells, like Catalysts/Staves in Dark Souls.
There are three different categories of attack; a blast type, a beam type, and a ball type. Each can be customized for different effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oROMuRvRLps An hour of LOTF with the developers commenting, pretty straightforward but shows exactly how dark souls this game really is.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/22/6826037/lords-of-the-fallen-preview-ps4-playstation-4-xbox-one-pc-dark-souls How Lords of the Fallen won over this skeptical Dark Souls fan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiliYhJCrZo Developer addresses concerns about the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD3l-3iipy8 VaatiVidya's thoughts and comments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkDn5r1CieI EpicNameBro's thoughts and comments on the game

ITT complaining about how it isn't Dark Souls 3.

So far its proven to be a pretty drat good Souls-like game. Controls are exactly the same so if you're a Dark Souls vet it'll fit you like a glove. If you couldn't get into Dark Souls then this could be easier to get into. Still feels very challenging. Great graphics.

:siren: Possible fix for some graphics issues, method to disable PhysX :siren:

quote:

Right click on Lords of the Fallen in your Steam library, click Properties and then click "Browse local files"
Open up the "settings.ini" file with Notepad (or your favorite editor)
Set apex_gpu_support_enabled to FALSE
max_frame_rate should be set at least at 60 if you have the power
vsync to FALSE (unless you experience heavy tearing, but I haven't noticed any)
Start up the game and see if that helps any
Also, AMD released new beta drivers about two days ago, try those out if you don't have them already installed (make sure to CLEAN off your old drivers real well).

Also turn off Nvidia Turbulence in the options menu!

The PS4 port seems to have some issues with screen tearing (lack of vsync) and an inconsistent framerate.

Free Prima Guide:
http://www.primagames.com/games/lords-fallen/coverage/lords-fallen-walkthrough-and-guide-tips-survive

Special Boss Loot Conditions:
Boss Battle: First Warden
Bonus Requirement: Dodge every attack so you do not take any damage.

Boss Battle: Commander
Bonus Requirement: Do not block any attacks with your shield.

Boss Battle: Worshiper
Bonus Requirement: Position the mini Golems so the Worshiper kills at least two of them.

Boss Battle: Infiltrator
Bonus Requirements: Kill him before the lanterns above the arena light up.

Boss Battle: Champion
Bonus Requirement: Don't allow the boss to enter Rage Mode other than during the phase transitions.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Hesitantly excited for this game. After the cult following Dark Souls created I figured it would only be a matter of time before the clones started rolling out. While I'm sure it won't live up to a proper Souls game, I'm hoping it's good enough to hold me over until Bloodborne releases.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I hate to post a bit a negativity so early but the only exposure I've had to this game is 20 minutes of a stream in which I noticed that it seems to have those lovely lore pickups from Diablo 3 that are unskippable once picked up. Oh, and loading takes forever.

Roflan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 24, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Huge Obamacare Fan posted:

Hesitantly excited for this game. After the cult following Dark Souls created I figured it would only be a matter of time before the clones started rolling out. While I'm sure it won't live up to a proper Souls game, I'm hoping it's good enough to hold me over until Bloodborne releases.

Yeah that's where I'm at, hesitantly excited. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, with the reality probably being somewhere in-between.

Overall the boss and monster and level design seem pretty good, and the graphics and shadows and animations are top-notch.
On the other hand I'm pretty bummed that we all have to play some bald monk bro named Harkyn.

But there's not enough good action-RPG souls like games out there, so I'll take what I can get.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

And like Diablo 3, you get to fight a Siege Breaker.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Vakal posted:

And like Diablo 3, you get to fight a Siege Breaker.

Holy poo poo I forgot how ugly Diablo 3 was.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I hope they 'steal' the concept of sneaky enemy placement and just generally trying to surprise the player from the Souls series, but judging from the lore and art style I fear they'll be more direct (and possibly boring) in that regard as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From what I've seen of the gameplay this is just uncomfortably close to "shameless clone" territory for me. It's got a few little tweaks to the formula, but by and large it looks like a Souls game with less weighty melee combat, no multiplayer, a set character, and more cutscenes. It's got the same parrying and backstab mechanic, different roll speeds based on equipment weight, R1 and R2 attacks, bloodstains that hold your XP when you die, and everything else. I wonder if this game would get any attention at all if it didn't look so drat pretty (and it does).

(That said, the developers admit it's a clone, so it's not like they're pretending this is all brand new. In the Polygon article they even outright say they don't think they can top Dark Souls at its own game. It's a weird and unbalancing honesty that I find kind of endearing.)

I'm not entirely willing to write it off completely, I admit. Some of the aesthetic of it (and some aspects of the equipment system) remind me a bit of Darksiders II, which isn't a bad thing, and even "pale but competent imitation of a Souls game" can still lead to something pretty all right. And I do find some of the "little tweaks" I mentioned above compelling, especially the XP multiplier for going a long time between checkpoints and the XP leaking from your bloodstain (I think it's "ghost" in this) if you take too long to get back to it. That's kind of neat. And using your bloodstain to give you a small buff if you fight near it without grabbing it seems like it might be an effective way to give you a little boost against what likely killed you last time, but at the risk of losing it entirely if that boost isn't good enough (since you didn't pick up your XP).

Unless this game is far deeper and more satisfying than it looks, I don't see myself buying it at full price, but maybe it'll surprise me.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 24, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, its important to remember that the FPS genre we all know and love was once known as the "doom clone" genre. The fact that they're being totally honest about it makes it seem less scummy and more appealing. They're also not the biggest name developers on the planet. I don't think its going to replace Dark Souls in my heart or get anywhere near it, without invasions and co-op even if it was just as good it still wouldn't be the same, but its also different.

But I've beaten Dark Souls 1 and 2 a million times (only got halfway through Demon's before my roommate's PS3 died, RIP) and I am hungry for more dungeons and more bosses.

Harrow posted:

especially the XP multiplier for going a long time between checkpoints and the XP leaking from your bloodstain (I think it's "ghost" in this) if you take too long to get back to it. That's kind of neat. And using your bloodstain to give you a small buff if you fight near it without grabbing it seems like it might be an effective way to give you a little boost against what likely killed you last time, but at the risk of losing it entirely if that boost isn't good enough (since you didn't pick up your XP).

Yeah, those things all sound cool. I like how it sounds like the game isn't going to be quite as hard as Dark Souls by default, but there's lots of ways you can like challenge yourself, which makes the game harder, but gives you appropriate rewards. Like going longer without using checkpoints meaning you get more XP, that's great. I'd like to see that in Dark Souls, it would really make me gamble.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 24, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its important to remember that the FPS genre we all know and love was once known as the "doom clone" genre. The fact that they're being totally honest about it makes it seem less scummy and more appealing. They're also not the biggest name developers on the planet. I don't think its going to replace Dark Souls in my heart or get anywhere near it, without invasions and co-op even if it was just as good it still wouldn't be the same, but its also different.

But I've beaten Dark Souls 1 and 2 a million times (only got halfway through Demon's before my roommate's PS3 died, RIP) and I am hungry for more dungeons and more bosses.

God I wish I hadn't sold my PS3. I'd love to play Demon's Souls again. That was a dumb idea on my part.

More related to Lords of the Fallen: I think I'd be more excited for it if I could make my own character. Having to play as a set character takes a bit of the appeal out of "brutal dungeon crawl" for me, for reasons I can't strictly pin down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

God I wish I hadn't sold my PS3. I'd love to play Demon's Souls again. That was a dumb idea on my part.

More related to Lords of the Fallen: I think I'd be more excited for it if I could make my own character. Having to play as a set character takes a bit of the appeal out of "brutal dungeon crawl" for me, for reasons I can't strictly pin down.

Yeah I agree entirely. Not being able to roll my own dude (or lady) is one of my major cons of this game right now.
I'm still starved for more Dark Souls content enough I'll buy it, though.

In the meantime better start up another gimmick DS2 character :shepface: Maybe I'll make a bald monk named Harkyn.

playing a face-tattooed sentenced criminal could be fun though. POOR IMPULSE CONTROL

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 24, 2014

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Agree with Harrow, not being able to make your own character is kind of a buzz kill. I also saw some video where someone was going through a level and kept running into NPCs that gave them dialogue choices that were obviously not impactful or meaningful in any way, which is just a pet peeve of mine because it's pointless to offer a choice if it doesn't actually change anything. Whining aside though, it could be fun and even if it's not great, it's a new IP from a small dev team so even if the game is just OK it could lead to a sequel that learns from the first game's mistakes and makes something really good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

You're crazy, but you're the right kind of crazy.

I'm excited enough for the potential of more Souls-esque games that I've done a dumb thing and pre-ordered this, but the media I've seen has yet to exactly fill me with confidence.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

quote:

No Humanity! I haven't seen anything in game yet about losing health each time you die or getting cursed.

You can bank experience at the bonfire equivalents, but if you don't use the bonfires and just keep going you get an exp multiplier. When you die you leave a pile of exp like Souls than you can go back to collect, but unlike souls it slowly ticks down so if you take too long you get less exp back. However if you hang around your pile of souls and don't pick it up it gradually heals you.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
There is a map of the bad things I have done. It's right here.

Not quite as pithy as I, Frankenstein's tag line of "200 years later he's still alive," but it's so close.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
For what it's worth, I have played this: a demo, at PAX Prime this year, for maybe 15 minutes. 15 minutes was all I could stomach.

Granted, there were lots of distractions and not the best place for it (if I'm remembering correctly, the booth was very close to the Bloodborne booth and that was a mistake) but it was bad. Really, really bad. Combat had no heft to it, controls were clunky and terrible, camera was terrible. Some available weapons were workable and some were entirely useless.

I was walking by it and said "hey, that looks a lot like Dark Souls!" and I love Dark Souls, as do many people. I've put a lot of time into DS games the past few years. If you have played DS, you will be comparing this game to DS as you play in a dozen different ways every moment and none of those ways will measure up. So, uh, I would recommend just replaying Dark Souls over buying this game. My opinion could be influenced by all the DS I've played, but I doubt that would make up for it.

So yes, maybe they've improved things since that demo but I wouldn't be putting cash down for it myself.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm looking at this as like Warhammer + Dark Souls. I love that chunky Warcraft look when done right (like in those Darksiders games). Kind of bummed that the spells look mostly like cloning stuff, kind of bummed no customization for your dude, but hesitantly excited.

Edit: Realized everybody said what I said here. Glad we are all in agreement.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 25, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I'm looking at this as like Warhammer + Dark Souls. I love that chunky Warcraft look when done right (like in those Darksiders games). Kind of bummed that the spells look mostly like cloning stuff, kind of bummed no customization for your dude, but hesitantly excited.

They're definitely touting magic as being extremely powerful, and it seems like there's a lot more to it than just the normal magic trees. I agree the trees themselves seem super underwhelming, the three different ones aren't really all that different and mostly involve cloning and stuff, which is lame.

But they've mentioned in the videos that the gauntlet gets like several different modes, like beam and blast and something else, and each of those can be like customized to do different types of damage. So maybe the gauntlet is like Lords version of a catalyst and that's how you cast real serious magic?

It sounded to me like Diablo 3 runes, so you could slot a laser beam and make it into either disentigrating ray or frost ray or whatever, etc. So that could actually have lots of depth to it after all.

There's not a ton of information about all this stuff right now so we'll have to find out on launch day.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
And hey, if you don't get to customize, at least you look like a badass Space Marine by default.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I hope this game is alright, because I think we need more Dark Souls ripoffs and I think there should be no shame in companies trying to rip off Dark Souls. Dark/Demon Souls are really awesome and clearly a genre that right now is untapped and could do with different takes on it. I'd love a sci-fi souls. I'll take warhammer souls though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I hope this game is alright, because I think we need more Dark Souls ripoffs and I think there should be no shame in companies trying to rip off Dark Souls. Dark/Demon Souls are really awesome and clearly a genre that right now is untapped and could do with different takes on it. I'd love a sci-fi souls. I'll take warhammer souls though.

Yeah what we really need is warhammer 40k souls. :allears:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
This is nothing like dark souls

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\ No, it kind of is. The inspiration is pretty drat clear.

That article at polygon about how bosses will have special conditions to drop the same loot but better was kind of cool. It said if you, for ex., beat that demo boss without getting hit you'll still get that flaming sword that he uses but it can activate that shockwave attack. Pretty cool.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD3l-3iipy8

Vaati's thoughts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That actually all sounds pretty good.

Its interesting that both Vaati and ENB mentioned finding the game kinda un-fun at first, playing the rogue build, but then switching to heavy armor they both really enjoyed it. Vaati in particular mentions the combat is more realistic and enemies have less windup.

I actually tended to play pretty heavy builds in Dark Souls with greatswords or ultragreatswords so that sounds just fine to me! A little unfortunate if it just doesn't work for light builds, but there's may be just more challenge to playing those styles or some trick to it.

He also didn't like the art style, which is interesting. I love it personally, but I also like warhammer so...

He does say that overall he likes it and would buy it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 25, 2014

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
I'm a massive Dark Souls fan, and I'm not particularly impressed with this.

A more generic, more casual-oriented (No invasions? Designated, optional 'tryhard' zones?) knock-off of FromSoft's style will only serve to constantly remind most people that what they're playing isn't actually a FromSoft game.

And then they'll eventually give up, uninstall/eject and continue waiting for Bloodborne.

I'm sorry, I really am, because obviously I'd rather be able to enjoy something than not be able to, but this definitely feels like an 'accept no substitutes' situation for me.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 25, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I dunno, the mechanics described so far sound perfectly alright to me. I guess we'll see!

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I've watched more videos on this and I'm still pretty negative. It's just so... bro-y?

The main character is hyper masculine, in your face, over-confident dude I want to punch in the face. The art style which I was neutral toward when I first saw it in Warcraft 3 has finally worn out it's welcome for me after nearly 10 years of Wow and endless copy cats.

People keep calling it a Dark Souls clone, but the only thing it copied is the combat. Everything else comes straight out of the mainstream game makers guidebook. The combat in Dark Souls is the most enduring but only, I'd say, about 40% of what makes the game part of Dark Souls. The real genius of Souls gameplay is enemy placement and boss design. I haven't seen enough of either to judge but I have seen enough to be dubious...

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
This game looks good. But with Destiny taking up my gaming time and Dragon Age hitting next month (which my wife will play the poo poo out of), I don't feel like I can squeeze in time to play LotF.

I hope sales of LotF do well, because from what I've seen, the dev team behind this game deserves to be rewarded and in a position to make more games.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

This looks like a souls game as done by Blizzard, which nowadays isn't exactly a good thing in my book.
The combat in Vaati's video looks...good, though.

If we find out that not every boss is an oversized humanoid, I might give it a shot. :shrug:

[ninja edit]

^^^ hyper masculine? Jeez, you can't slap a beard on a guy nowadays without pissing off the Polygon brigade. :mmmhmm:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Roflan posted:

The main character is hyper masculine, in your face, over-confident dude I want to punch in the face. The art style which I was neutral toward when I first saw it in Warcraft 3 has finally worn out it's welcome for me after nearly 10 years of Wow and endless copy cats.
That was my first thought when seeing the screenshots. God but am I sick of that kind of bulky, ridiculously over-elaborate aesthetic. One of the best things about Dark Souls to me was that weapons actually looked like weapons and the armor looked like something I'd actually feel protected in. Elite Knight Armor wouldn't raise a single eyebrow if placed in any High Medieval Period museum. It's ridiculous that seeing someone use a sword that it'd actually be possible to swing and stab people with is a mark of distinction.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brumaldo posted:

This looks like a souls game as done by Blizzard, which nowadays isn't exactly a good thing in my book.
The combat in Vaati's video looks...good, though.

If we find out that not every boss is an oversized humanoid, I might give it a shot. :shrug:

[ninja edit]

^^^ hyper masculine? Jeez, you can't slap a beard on a guy nowadays without pissing off the Polygon brigade. :mmmhmm:

The man's a pair of biceps with a body attached, dude. I haven't seen proportions that hosed since Darksiders.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The man's a pair of biceps with a body attached, dude. I haven't seen proportions that hosed since Darksiders.

Yes, but my point is along the lines of "why give a poo poo".

[edit]

Just noticed that it's a Polish studio! Welp, they probably all look exactly like that, so that design is pretty understandable. :cheeky:

[edit edit]

goddammit Vaati, you're so bad at this. Still, a souls where heavy armor isn't complete crap sounds interesting.

Brumaldo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 25, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Roflan posted:

People keep calling it a Dark Souls clone, but the only thing it copied is the combat. Everything else comes straight out of the mainstream game makers guidebook. The combat in Dark Souls is the most enduring but only, I'd say, about 40% of what makes the game part of Dark Souls. The real genius of Souls gameplay is enemy placement and boss design. I haven't seen enough of either to judge but I have seen enough to be dubious...

Its not just the combat, its the entire game design. Bonfires, potions, souls dropped on death, boss fights, etc. Its the whole game. Comeon dude.

ENB ripped on the bosses, but they're the first two bosses. Asylum Demon and Taurus Demon really aren't that complicated either, nor are last giant and the pursuer. Its the beginning of the game, that's how it goes if you're an experienced dark souls player. Newbies get stuck on Asylum and Taurus anyways, but if you've played souls before they're a cakewalk.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Brumaldo posted:

Yes, but my point is along the lines of "why give a poo poo".

[edit]

Just noticed that it's a Polish studio! Welp, they probably all look exactly like that, so that design is pretty understandable. :cheeky:

[edit edit]

goddammit Vaati, you're so bad at this. Still, a souls where heavy armor isn't complete crap sounds interesting.

Because it looks like poo poo and I have eyeballs

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not just the combat, its the entire game design. Bonfires, potions, souls dropped on death, boss fights, etc. Its the whole game. Comeon dude.

Except it looks like they've made a ton of concessions, like a huge one seems to be the ability to go back to bonfires without enemies respawning(they only respawn on death).

Blister fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 25, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ninotoreS posted:

I'm a massive Dark Souls fan, and I'm not particularly impressed with this.

A more generic, more casual-oriented (No invasions? Designated, optional 'tryhard' zones?) knock-off of FromSoft's style will only serve to constantly remind most people that what they're playing isn't actually a FromSoft game.

And then they'll eventually give up, uninstall/eject and continue waiting for Bloodborne.

I'm sorry, I really am, because obviously I'd rather be able to enjoy something than not be able to, but this definitely feels like an 'accept no substitutes' situation for me.

A cursory glance at the dark souls 2 thread shows From Software is far from infallible. It'd be nice to have lots of new people making similar games, its not like it somehow diminishes your enjoyment of Dark Souls.

If this isn't your bag that's cool man but lets not pretend From Software is the greatest developer on earth. I liked Armored Core and Dark Souls both a poo poo-ton but they're both super rough around the edges, and half the things they try in each game don't really work out.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The way they tweaked the bloodstain mechanic sounds pretty interesting, especially if you happen to die against a boss. Do I rush to get my xp back or do I keep the buff going to help me get through a tough fight?

Again, my biggest worry is boss design. Hopefully we get some freaky poo poo in there, besides demons with bigger pauldrons than yours.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brumaldo posted:

The way they tweaked the bloodstain mechanic sounds pretty interesting, especially if you happen to die against a boss. Do I rush to get my xp back or do I keep the buff going to help me get through a tough fight?

Again, my biggest worry is boss design. Hopefully we get some freaky poo poo in there, besides demons with bigger pauldrons than yours.

They've already shown off the obligatory dark souls spider-woman boss, so I think there's gonna be some variety for sure. If you look at the concept art there's some really cool ideas in there.

But yeah, that was the weakest part of Dark Souls 2 even, too many humanoid bosses. Good boss fights are pretty critical.

Its key to note that we've only really seen the beginning of the game, plus in one of those videos the developer jumps to a boss from the middle of the game (and its dramatically harder). We've seen otherwise very, very little.

ThreeLeggedHyena
Jan 27, 2009
I'm throwing in and buying this one even if it sucks, because goddamnit I want more Souls-like games on the market, gonna 'vote' with my sale. I love this style of gameplay so, so much and would really love to see more variants on the 'stamina based action-RPG' style out and about. Vaati's mention of it becoming its own sub-genre like 'rogue-likes' is exactly what I'd love to see happen.

ThreeLeggedHyena fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd love for there to be more Souls-likes, but I'm not really hankering for something that seems like a straight up bootleg. This does not look like a game that has any sort of identity on its own, it just seems like the equivalent of Dante's Inferno to From Soft's God of War. There's not a long time 'till Bloodborne is out, so it's gotta be really special to get my attention, pretty much.

On a surface level I just wish they'd done one thing that's dramatically different, like make it first person or something.

• Locked thread