Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What is it?

Depression Quest is a text adventure game about, well, being depressed. That's it. Not much else to it.

Should I play it?

Probably not. But maybe?

Is it any good?
That's up to you to decide!

Where can I find it?

Steam and it's often free where available.

Discuss your Depression Quest experiences here!

UPDATE
:siren: The game is free but if you go to its website and make a donation the proceeds go to helping people to stop killing themselves or something which might be good I guess! :siren:

Eye of Widesauron fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
So is the end game that you kill yourself? What suicide methods are available?

Also what options are there for character customization? Can I play as someone with clinical depression or bipolar depression? What about psychotic depression?

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 24, 2014

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

How many different endings are there? I got the move in and break up endings, but are there more? I am trying to get the elusive go on shooting spree at work ending.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I find the 'get the gently caress over it' ending offensive.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Choosing to take antidepressants along with choosing to engage in CBT will help you get the best ending from what I hear.

Your character isn't really customizable and you have a variety of methods to use to combat depression such as friends, a girlfriend, a cat, stuff like that.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
why do i need to play this game, my life is a depression quest

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Actually, this thread is about ethics in games journalism

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Widestancer posted:

Choosing to take antidepressants along with choosing to engage in CBT will help you get the best ending from what I hear.

Your character isn't really customizable and you have a variety of methods to use to combat depression such as friends, a girlfriend, a cat, stuff like that.

Cock and ball torture probably isn't as much fun while on antidepressants though. I hear they make it hard to get a stiffy.

Edit: I guess the dominatrix could still twist your nuts while insulting you, so it might be okay.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 24, 2014

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Not one of John Romero's best games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Not one of John Romero's best games.
Great showcase for idtech6 however.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This game is bugged, buying a cat doesn't have anything to do with the 'giving into depression' ending.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:eng101:

Getting the cat can actually help you out with your depression in this game if it's well cared for.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Widestancer posted:

Getting the cat can actually help you out with your depression in this game if it's well cared for.

I can confirm, that cats help with depression

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The family dinner section is really what gets to some people; I didn't find it that hard to deal with but then again I don't have crippling depression and am playing this from an outside perspective.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Depression Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

also realpost, the way it greys out the more reasonable options but still shows them to you when you let your depression get really extreme is a kind of neat representation of depression, but besides that the whole game's pretty 'eh.'

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Still a better game than Colonial Marines.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Quest For Glory II posted:

Actually, this thread is about ethics in games journalism

YESSSSS

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Any information about the developper, OP?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I AM BRAWW posted:

Any information about the developper, OP?

This game was developed by Zoey Quinn primarily with help from Patrick Lindsey and Isaac Schankler.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It's a p good game but tbh if I had gotten a worse ending I might've hurt myself

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
If I wanted to make a game like this is there anything special I could do to help advertise it?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Adam Bowen posted:

If I wanted to make a game like this is there anything special I could do to help advertise it?
Generally smaller game devs might use strategies like promotion on social media sites or trying to use greenlight; there's also the tried and true method of shopping out a playable demo!

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Widestancer posted:

This game was developed by Zoey Quinn primarily with help from Patrick Lindsey and Isaac Schankler.

Ahh.. what else is the first person known for? Any other video games under her belt?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Or video GAMERS??? eh??? eh??? eh?"?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I AM BRAWW posted:

Ahh.. what else is the first person known for? Any other video games under her belt?

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Quinn is interested in body modification, and has implanted a chip in the back of her hand that can be programmed to perform various functions. Her first use of the chip was to load it with the download code for the game Deus Ex.[22] She also has a magnetic implant in her left ring finger.[22][23]

Thats kinda cool!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I dunno OP. I don't want to play a video game made by a woman.

I also don't want to play a video game made by a man.

All video games should be made by Otherkin that self-identify as Kaiju. What kind of game would Godzilla or Knifehead make? I bet it would be a fun one.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Widestancer posted:

From Wikipedia:

Thats kinda cool!

What does having the deus ex download code in a chip in your hand do? Like if someone cut it out there's some way they could get a free copy?

I'm not being facetious here, I really don't get what the reason for this is. Like the magnet in your finger, okay that could be neat - you could stick metal to you or whatever, not my thing but that's neat - but the code makes no sense to me.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Platypus Farm posted:

What does having the deus ex download code in a chip in your hand do? Like if someone cut it out there's some way they could get a free copy?

I'm not being facetious here, I really don't get what the reason for this is. Like the magnet in your finger, okay that could be neat - you could stick metal to you or whatever, not my thing but that's neat - but the code makes no sense to me.

If she high-fives your telephone you get a video game download code.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Widestancer posted:

From Wikipedia:

Thats kinda cool!

Woah, that's neat. Can she just take the chip out whenever and instal Deus Ex wherever?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if she dies the coroner can play some deus ex

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Platypus Farm posted:

My guess is that it could be used with Bluetooth or NFC to download the game onto a compatible device.

Being able to play Deus Ex would help with depression but that's not an option in game sadly :(

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Zoe Quinn is also a fellow somethingawful forums poster so this is a goon-made game folks :)))

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Great OP!

Has anyone gotten the WoW addiction ending yet?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
This is a good thread, you earned my 5. Thanks OP

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Supergreatfriend has a great LP of this!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'll add it to the OP!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I think those developers should tighten up the graphics a bit.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lot of off topic discussion going on, this thread is about Depression Quest guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How did you hear about Depression Quest OP?

• Locked thread