Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Again, superbly well done :golfclap: And remember, Hardin possesses the Darksphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
:golfclap:

I've really enjoyed this LP, LordHippoman. You did a great job with keeping it interesting and funny, and I really liked the jokes you added here and there -- especially things like Jagen's storytelling for the bonus maps and Steve's grandpa.
I hope you consider doing more LPs in the future.

Completely random aside: Every time I read "Manakete", I imagine an adorable manatee/parakeet hybrid.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That was a really good LP, thanks for the ride

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

Thanks to EclecticTastes for lots of stat information in his posts, and catching a lot of my growth rate mistakes. I’m awful at those.

Hey, wait, I'm EclecticTastes! :aaaaa:

Believe me, it's been my pleasure to sperg about numbers and miscellaneous details while making Char jokes.

Some notes on those epilogues, as the game's avoidance of character dependency in the endings can obfuscate a few things if you're not taking notes as you read, and there are some more out-of-game details to consider:

-I think it's implied that Sirius and Nyna ran off together. Not sure why, it's not like Sirius is anyone important or anything.

-The Whitewings all showed up in Fire Emblem Gaiden, Est's ending included her saying she'd come back someday. So, it's not much of a stretch to think she went back to Valentia, and Abel just followed her and they lived happily ever after.

-Navarre, Feena, and Samto all ran off together, as stated in the preceding cutscene, which makes Samto's continued attempts to impersonate Navarre even more comical.

-For reference, the newly formed Archanean Rangers are: Jeorge, Gordin, Astram, and Midia.

-All three women that were in position to rule nations after the war immediately abdicated, one of them (Minerva) implicitly so that a man (Michalis) could rule in her stead. I'm not 100% comfortable with that, especially because Michalis was a dick.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solumin posted:

I've really enjoyed this LP, LordHippoman. You did a great job with keeping it interesting and funny, and I really liked the jokes you added here and there -- especially things like Jagen's storytelling for the bonus maps and Steve's grandpa.

Same, and also Navarragakash Nedakh too.

Good L- Hardin possesses the Darksphere-P, Hippoman.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Okay, I just did a little research, and it turns out Tomas is pretty great. Have a screenshot-free transcription of his conversations with Steve:

Steve and Tomas 1

: Alright, don't move an inch... or else, I'll miss my mark... Yes. Like that. Stay still, stay still...

: ... Say Tomas, can I...

: You promised you'd stick with me! It's all right! Trust me and stay still!

: Ooh, do as you wish!

: Haaah!

: Nngh!

: WHOOO!!! I-I did it!

: H...? How weird. I'm alive.

: Please, you're being rude. It was a huge success! Here, take a gander! I hit right in the heart of the apple, see!

: Hmm... good grief. You're right, sorry for doubting you. I was worried all this time that you'd create a hole in my head if you missed your mark...

: Thank you for your co-operation! Truth is, I had only trained with dolls so far. Now, I have even more confidence! It's all thanks to you, Steve!

: Wait... what...?

Steve and Tomas 2

: Tomas, practicing with your bow again? I see you're earnest as always.

: Of course! I still have to become much, much better. I have a debt of gratitude with Prince Marth, and I have to repay it by taking down enemy after enemy.

: Oh, so that's why. You're a good man, Tomas. Oh yeah, do tell me if there's anything I can do to help you.

: Oh? Then, I'll accept your offer. Could you put an apple on your head and stand still, just like last time?

: Anything but that.

: Ready, go!

Steve and Tomas 3

: Haha, that was incredible wasn't it? Did you see it, Steve?

: Yeah, but if you ask me, it was more like...

: Man, it swept over your head and THEN hit the apple!

: Did you forget it also grazed Sir Jagen's throat when he was passing by...? I'll never, ever forget the wrath in Sir Jagen's face at that time.

: Sir Jagen's tempestuous and unending sermon was just as incredible!

: He even got angry at me, too... Honestly. We're lucky nothing bad happened since Prince Marth stuck up for us, but...

: Yeah, Prince Marth is really kind. I must polish my bow skills more and more so I can repay my debt!

: You're really stubborn aren't you, Tomas...? Oh well, if you're going to train now anyway, I suppose I'll keep you company. ...We'll be in trouble if somebody else got hurt, after all.

: Yay! Thank you! Then, please take this! Thanks!

: Huh? A grape? Wait, didn't your target shrink too much all of sudden?

: Ready, go!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

LordHippoman posted:

A special thanks for Camel Pimp, who created a lot of Steve’s portraits you’ve seen throughout the LP.

:)

I only wish I could have put even more hats on Steve.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It's impossible for Sirius and Nyna to have run off together iirc because of FE2 where he finds a girlfriend (who is a green palette swap of Nyna) and ends up rejecting Nyna for her. While Nyna disappears into the ether/kills herself/settles down in the country, Sirius almost certainly goes back to Valm to do knight things.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

It's impossible for Sirius and Nyna to have run off together iirc because of FE2 where he finds a girlfriend (who is a green palette swap of Nyna) and ends up rejecting Nyna for her. While Nyna disappears into the ether/kills herself/settles down in the country, Sirius almost certainly goes back to Valm to do knight things.

Or, comedy option, she ends up following Sirius and has a very awkward meeting in her future.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

LordHippoman posted:

Bantu is nowhere to be found, and since he already looked old…:smith:

Actually, one of the possible outcomes for having Nowi step on event tiles in battle, or showing up in your Barracks between missions, is this line:

quote:

"I made a new dragon friend! His name was... Banta? ...Banter?! Wait, what was it...?"

So yeah, Bantu's still around and kicking... even if these blasted young'uns can't quite remember his name. :unsmith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Thanks to Darth TNT for putting up with the puns.

Farewell.
Best LP ever. :colbert:

The sable knights are hilariously non descript.

Also, how does this work?

So either they had a king or they didn't and their "king" and his nun sister went doing the same thing they do every night, take over the world.

I agree with Hippoman, who is the archivist in Archanea? He needs to be fed to Medeus.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

theshim posted:

Again, superbly well done :golfclap: And remember, Hardin possesses the Darksphere.

Solumin posted:

I hope you consider doing more LPs in the future.

rannum posted:

That was a really good LP, thanks for the ride

RareAcumen posted:

Appreciate it a lot, thanks! :) And Hardin will always possess the Darksphere in my heart. I'll probably play something else eventually, going to take a bit of a break for now. I had one idea, but it's terrible and would devolve into me hollering incoherently at a lovely game designed for preteens about something that's like...an inside joke? So it's not really worth it.

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, wait, I'm EclecticTastes! :aaaaa:

Believe me, it's been my pleasure to sperg about numbers and miscellaneous details while making Char jokes.

Some notes on those epilogues...

Been my pleasure to read them and still not really know what a Char is, but go along with it because people in the thread like that joke! And yeah, I think you're probably correct about most of those, especially the Feena/Navarre one (Her "mysteriously disappeared" text" is the same as Navarre's.) I was tempted to mention FE2, but I wasn't sure if it took place after FE1 or 3 or...really anything about that game, except that Sirius and the Peg Sisters appear in it.

Also holy poo poo Tomas does own, apparently. He nearly killed Jagen.

SC Bracer posted:

It's impossible for Sirius and Nyna to have run off together iirc because of FE2 where he finds a girlfriend (who is a green palette swap of Nyna) and ends up rejecting Nyna for her.

That is somehow hilarious. His destiny is to be with the FE equivalent of a Sonic OC.

W.T. Fits posted:

So yeah, Bantu's still around and kicking... even if these blasted young'uns can't quite remember his name. :unsmith:

That makes me smile a lot more than it probably should. Bantu is great.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
I feel bad that Jagen died. :smith:

This was a great LP, I was here from start to finish and while I never spoke up, I'll let you know that I appreciated your particular brand of commentary and enthusiasm towards this game.
May you continue to be successful from here on out Hippo Lord!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Been my pleasure to read them and still not really know what a Char is, but go along with it because people in the thread like that joke!

Char Aznable was a guy from Mobile Suit Gundam who was a super-cool rival for the main character, known as an ace in the enemy army, but he had a dark past he was hiding from behind his signature white mask and assumed name. In the sequel series, Zeta Gundam, he adopts a different false identity and joins the good guys (his disguise is reduced to a pair of sunglasses). The Gundam franchise repeats the same formula for other characters throughout its various incarnations, all known as "Char Clones", and other Japanese series have also included such characters, inspired by the original Char. Sirius in FE3/12 is almost certainly a Char in every respect. He's blonde, part of the nobility, was a rival to the main character, he was assumed dead, he has a troubled past, and so he put on a white mask, changed his name, and rejects all ties to his former life, even when recognized. If anything, it's his turn as Zeke in FE2 that adds some depth to that.

Hope that helps when the joke comes up in other threads! (because seriously, Char clones are pretty common in video games, or just literally Char if you're playing Super Robot Wars)

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Yeah the Camus timeline is basically:
Nyna>dead>nursed by green Nyna>amnesia>no more amnesia>masks+rejecting Nyna>happily ever after with green Nyna.

As for why the white wings go to Valm it seems that Est was kidnapped by a pirate and her sisters had to go rescue her. I don't really get what Abel was doing during this time because I think they were married at that point. This has nothing to do with her fe3/12 ending so in conclusion est is loving dumb.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You finally did it. This calls for a round of

:iamafag:

LordHippoman posted:

: Shall I show everyone my victory dance?

Feena looks so not into this.

Executing DANCE.EXE. ... Error: GIVEADAMN.DLL missing. Aborting dance...

quote:

So one vanished like the wind and one with the wind... :iiam:

quote:

Don’t think about how she’ll outlive all of them.

You are now thinking about it.

And yeah, all those mysterious disappearances stuck out to me when I played it, too. It's like... another one? You came up with loving wyverns and ran out of creative juice or something?

quote:

Bantu is nowhere to be found, and since he already looked old…:smith:

W.T. Fits posted:

Bantu is out there, somewhere, making the world's best pickles and teaching little dragon children to eat their vegetables :unsmith:

Also,

LordHippoman posted:

A giant thank you to Vilkacis for tech assistance, some portraits, fan art, being the original creator for Steve, and sorta inspiring me to get into Screenshot LPs in the first place, because I binged Suikoden IV/V before I started this.

It's cool. We cool. :c00l::respek::c00l:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

vilkacis posted:

And yeah, all those mysterious disappearances stuck out to me when I played it, too. It's like... another one? You came up with loving wyverns and ran out of creative juice or something?

I think law must mandate a certain percentage of "...AND THEY WERE NEVER SEEN AGAIN" in every FE epilogue. Japanese media seems disproportionately fond of that trope.

It always strikes me as lazy and obnoxious, too. Friends? Family? Who needs 'em, gon' gently caress off into the woods or something, maybe build a cabin out of bear parts, yell at some clouds, grow a crazy survivalist beard, go a little funny in the head due to prolonged lack of human contact. Have fun come the holidays, wondering if I'm alive or dead! Looking out that window, year after year, every time a little older and grayer, wondering if maybe this time I'll come back. Nope! Maybe next year!

Assholes.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

This killed me. I told you this joke would never be not funny to me!

Thanks for the LP, it was a fun ride the whole way through! :cheers:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

vilkacis posted:

You son of a bitch.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Glaive17 posted:

Man, how did I forget to mention that one? Your names for Navarragarble always made me laugh.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So if he just mysteriously vanished into thin air, I suppose you could say he...

:frogc00l:

... Navaporated.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Great LP. Thanks for the ride.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

theshim posted:

You son of a bitch.

Well, there's Nah, and if Robin marries Tiki, there's Morgan. It's some company, at least.

Of course, then there's the issue of Morgan being near immortal, which raises all sorts of other terrifying implications.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for the ride!

Someone should give Hippoman HatSteve as an avatar to immortalise his achievement. It was great (having played Awakening) to see how all those references they make are relevant.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Hey, just wanted to mention that I'm probably going to leave the thread open for another week or so if people have any questions or anything, then close it and submit to archives. Also, I finally (sorta) figured out a GIF maker, so here's the final blow on Medeus in animated form:

GodofDiscord posted:

I feel bad that Jagen died. :smith:

This was a great LP, I was here from start to finish and while I never spoke up, I'll let you know that I appreciated your particular brand of commentary and enthusiasm towards this game.
May you continue to be successful from here on out Hippo Lord!

At least it was (presumably) of old age, and not how he usually died in Shadow Dragon, as the player sacrifice. And thanks!

EclecticTastes posted:

Char Aznable was a guy from Mobile Suit Gundam

Oh, it's an anime thing. That'd be why I was confused. Dude totally does look like Sirius though, thanks for linking that.

SC Bracer posted:

Yeah the Camus timeline is basically:
Nyna>dead>nursed by green Nyna>amnesia>no more amnesia>masks+rejecting Nyna>happily ever after with green Nyna.

As for why the white wings go to Valm it seems that Est was kidnapped by a pirate and her sisters had to go rescue her. I don't really get what Abel was doing during this time because I think they were married at that point. This has nothing to do with her fe3/12 ending so in conclusion est is loving dumb.

FE2 sounds like a real trip, going to have to play that or read the LP of it. I've played 4 now, so only 2 and 5 are still on that list for me. Oh, and Fates, but that's going to be out in...3 months or so?

vilkacis posted:

You finally did it. This calls for a round of

:iamafag:

Feena looks so not into this.

Executing DANCE.EXE. ... Error: GIVEADAMN.DLL missing. Aborting dance...

So one vanished like the wind and one with the wind... :iiam:

Bantu is out there, somewhere, making the world's best pickles and teaching little dragon children to eat their vegetables :unsmith:

Also,

It's cool. We cool. :c00l::respek::c00l:

It's me, I'm the penguin in those screenshots. A year of Fire Emblem has turned my hands into nubbed flippers.

Also, thank you for one last piece of fanart, although I'll want to spoiler tag that one, but it's pretty drat great. I think this game has the highest number of "and then they disappeared", like Wonderslug mentioned, and while it fits for people like Xane or Beck, I still think ones like Abel or Ogma make no drat sense.

Glaive17 posted:

Solumin posted:

Man, how did I forget to mention that one? Your names for Navarragarble always made me laugh.

I'm glad that joke still worked out well for some people. It was legitimately getting hard to come up with new ones at the end there. I never used "Fuzzy Navelbarl", though, which I am upset about though.

W.T. Fits posted:

So if he just mysteriously vanished into thin air, I suppose you could say he...

:frogc00l:

... Navaporated.

poo poo this one is good

Raitzeno posted:

Great LP. Thanks for the ride.

Thanks!

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, there's Nah, and if Robin marries Tiki, there's Morgan. It's some company, at least.

Of course, then there's the issue of Morgan being near immortal, which raises all sorts of other terrifying implications.

A lot of the Awakening kids have some pretty horrific implications. Those Dark Future DLC's were pretty grim.

Bahumat posted:

Thanks for the ride!

Someone should give Hippoman HatSteve as an avatar to immortalise his achievement. It was great (having played Awakening) to see how all those references they make are relevant.

Thank you for reading!

Classic Steve is already my Twitter picture, nobody should feel obligated to spend :10bux: on this silly LP, but I'm glad you think I'm worthy of having a picture. The blank space is actually already a picture of Tomas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I do have to wonder, what would Tiki's interactions with Morgan be like after Robin passes away... would probably include stuff like "never forget what a great man your father was".

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

• Locked thread