Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Problem description: My computer likes to shut down my mouse and keyboard at random sometimes. They won't respond until I restart the computer. My keyboard's numlock light turns off but apparently I can turn on the function key light, but it flicks. So power is definitely reaching the keyboard.

Attempted fixes: Tried unplugging them and plugging them back in.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1.

System specs: Asrock Z77 Pro3, i5 3570k, 8gb RAM, XFX Radeon 7870, I dunno if my mouse and keyboard are useful to be mentioned here but they're a Logitech G400 and a CMStorm Quickfire Pro, respectively.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Nothing seemed to help, it was pretty much "huurr have u tried udpating ur bios? lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Both are plugged into the USB 2.0 ports right?

Mike Maddux posted:

...it was pretty much "huurr have u tried udpating ur bios? lol"

Did you update it?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Zogo posted:

Both are plugged into the USB 2.0 ports right?

Did you update it?

Yes to both.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Actually wtf, there's a newer update. Let me check that one out.

Edit: Still happens.

ass fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 26, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

When it happens again, please try to switch around the USB plugs, put them into other ports and see if that changes anything. Does your PC tries to reinstall the drivers for the devices when you do that?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Michaellaneous posted:

When it happens again, please try to switch around the USB plugs, put them into other ports and see if that changes anything. Does your PC tries to reinstall the drivers for the devices when you do that?

Tried, nothing seemed to happen. And no, it doesn't try to.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Have you tried a more basic keyboard or mouse as a test? Also, trying a PS2 plug keyboard or mouse could isolate the issue a little more as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage2kk2
Aug 21, 2007
I had a similar problem with an Asrock H97m Pro4 where my old Logitech G15 keyboard and G500 wouldn't turn on at all or acted extremely flaky. Try going into bios, select advanced and then USB Configuration, then set USB compatibility patch to enabled and restart. If you don't see that option, update your bios.

rage2kk2 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 2, 2014

• Locked thread