Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

yeah but that's the best source of sugar; simple sugars found in fruits aren't really bad for you
It's actually pretty much as calorie dense as soda. That's not to say it doesn't have some nutritional value (though not nearly as much as just eating a loving orange), just that it should be considered a sweet treat akin to pop or candy. You could pretty much replace orange juice with a can of coke and a multivitamin and it wouldn't be that different.

Juice being healthy is just one of those marketed things. If you're looking for a healthy but sweet beverage make your own smoothies with whole berries/fruits and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

TEAYCHES posted:

But... but.... juice is Natural!!!!

Last time I was feeling like some OJ I checked the nutrition label and put it back on the shelf.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I would drink a glass of milk over a glass of fruit juice any day.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Poetic Justice posted:

UHM NICE ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE poo poo FOR BRAINS

You know you could eat an orange instead of drinking a glass of orange juice and get a bunch of the benefits without getting diabetes.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Whole tho, gently caress skim. Glass of whole milk and a banana is not a bad start to the day.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Coolness Averted posted:

Marketing in the 70's-90's and wanting to sell more poo poo. The US is currently producing 3000 calories per day per capita so needs to continually find new ways to market and and package foodstuffs for you to shove in your fat holes.
Source for this? Not that I doubt you or anything I just think it'd be a good read.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Sugar has nothing to do with diabetes
-a thing someone believes in 2014

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Teayches posting style is kind of questionable but if you're seriously going to try and nitpick "sugar doesn't give you diabetes, it just makes you fat and then you coincidentally get diabetes" then I'm prolly going to assume you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Literally in your own stupid link 'Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.'

Also my perhaps favorite line is:
"Just one 12-ounce can of regular soda has about 150 calories and 40 grams of carbohydrate. This is the same amount of carbohydrate in 10 teaspoons of sugar!
One cup of fruit punch and other sugary fruit drinks have about 100 calories (or more) and 30 grams of carbohydrate."

One cup you'll notice is 8 ounces, or 2/3rds of 12 ounces. If you scale the nutritional info they offer about soda to 8 ounces, you get (surprise surprise):
100 calories and ~26.7g of sugar.

This is pretty much word for word what TEAYCHES has said, sugar drinks are linked to diabetes, and fruit juice is on par with soda.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

right. but imo the best way to be healthy is to eat a reasonable diet and exercise. but I guess some people think you can just circumvent all the effort by just not eating sugar at all or whatever.
The guy you're arguing with never said that and actually on several occasions suggested eating an orange. His entire crusade was against juice being seen as a health food, which is reasonable because it's about on par with soft drinks. I don't know why you read so much into him saying fruit juice was bad, but literally all your grievances are things he never actually posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
here's the full quote

TEAYCHES posted:

nah sugar is evil and my whole point here is that you should eat an orange rather than drink an orange

I wonder why you edited out "my whole point here is that you should eat an orange rather than drink an orange", it's almost as if his point was that fruits were good and fruit juice was bad? I don't know I'm not a writer.

please note he posted similar sentiments several times

• Locked thread