Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ruggan posted:

so what if I were to tell the group that i was an unwilling member of mensa

That's kinda what happened to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I teach a course on GBS at a local community college, it's p cutting edge

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's kinda what happened to me

oh? do tell

red state bait
Dec 9, 2006

nice, me too

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Oh.

I thought this was the thread to plan our revenge and how we'd eat some delicious brains once we'd won. But it's not, right? I'll go.

*leaves and shuts door*

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
deadlifts are cool, whats your favorite workout fellow smart people? only dumb people are dumb enough not to work out

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone
I knew Spanish manlove and doobie had a close connection.... I see it now :smuggo: :burger:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Luvcow posted:

I teach a course on GBS at a local community college, it's p cutting edge

Unironically hoping that internet archaeology becomes a thing and future college classrooms feature cutting edge analysis of SA.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

ThisGuy posted:

I think I read somewhere that smart people tend to be more emotionally introspective as well. Like, if you are teased about being able to answer all the questions in 6th grade, it hurts so much more than it would a regular dude. I think the obvious coping mechanism is to see the outside world as hostile. I'm no freudian, but I think there's something to the nerd powerfantasy in games. I think it's understood that nerds have a secret desire to inflict harm on the outside world that, from their perspective, has shunned them.

It's really too bad, because the best feelings in the world come from deeply empathizing with another person. I'm not just talking about GETTING LAID DOOD, but the sort of empathy that transends your own gratification. Where you can read a poem or listen to someone tell their story and you sort of become them for a moment. You cry when you hear they're upset, you cheer when they succeed. You, for a moment, forget how bullshit your own life is and get lost in someone else.

I get annoyed with the CHECK YOUR PRIVELDGE poo poo. It's often used as an argumentative tool to dismiss opinions that conflict with your own. But there is something to recognizing that no matter how bad you have it, there's a world of suffering around you. I spent a while trying to kill myself with alcohol poisoning and generally being a miserable piece of poo poo. I was able to stop drinking to kill when I sort of woke up to where I was in the context of, like, the world, bro. People say suicide is a selfish act, and I disagree in that depression is real and people who kill themselves feel that it's the best option to escape how they feel. But I do think that depression isn't because you care about other people too much. Or at least in my case, getting shitfaced wasn't because I was deeply aware of how my actions were affecting others.
I enjoyed this post very much and now I'm mildly concerned that it was a copy-paste from someone else and we're supposed to laugh at that person and that would make me sad.

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

Al Cowens posted:

I enjoyed this post very much and now I'm mildly concerned that it was a copy-paste from someone else and we're supposed to laugh at that person and that would make me sad.

Nope 100% from the heart, how I feel. I just like joking, even if my jokes are mean sometimes. I'm pretty much a self-hating nerd who only recently became okay with myself.

I also haven't copy and pasted anything I've ever written here for what it's worth

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

I'm a 23 year old law graduate with an IQ of 155. My political beliefs are liberal and leftist, I listen to Metal and I enjoy violent movies, books and videogames, and I've been a Christian since birth.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have an iq of 63 and this morning i accidentally ate drywall mix because it was in a container that looked like a oatmeal container and i like oatmeal. can i be part of your smart club for hip people.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Quiet is a kewl book you can read. Pretty much sucks yo dick if youre introverted

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ThisGuy posted:

Nope 100% from the heart, how I feel. I just like joking, even if my jokes are mean sometimes. I'm pretty much a self-hating nerd who only recently became okay with myself.

I also haven't copy and pasted anything I've ever written here for what it's worth
It was a good post.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
being dumb owns because you can poo poo your pants and make other people clean it up. makes you wonder where our priorities really lay??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I admire Effectronica's erudition

• Locked thread