Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'll admit it: it took me a second to realise that when Starkweather said 'funky rear end', he meant as in 'bad smelling'. Pity, I was hoping for some executions involving a disco ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Samovar posted:

How close to the end of the game are you? Seems like it has been going on for some time, but the story doesn't really provide a context for a middle/end part.

If I remember right there is one more scene with the Smileys and then two more gangs after that, I think.

Was there a reason you didn't take the new shotgun?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
i think the game had 20 scenes total? Not positive.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Samovar posted:

How close to the end of the game are you? Seems like it has been going on for some time, but the story doesn't really provide a context for a middle/end part.

It's probably about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through now. As was mentioned before, there's two gangs after the Smileys and both are about as long as the other gangs.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

dscruffy1 posted:

One minor nitpick on the Warriors stuff at the end: I didn't know about the Gacy reference but Chatterbox (the Hi-Hats warchief) gets his art gallery ruined, then he dies in an amusement park when he tries to invade Coney Island for revenge.

Otherwise I'm liking the LP and I'm learning things about games I've got a lot of experience with! :v:

I could argue I meant something besides "kill" when I said "defeat," but actually I did forget that he survives the art gallery incident. I only know of that scene from your LP, and it's a good thing I do because I don't think it's widely known that it seems to have originated from scrapped Manhunt ideas.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'll admit it: it took me a second to realise that when Starkweather said 'funky rear end', he meant as in 'bad smelling'. Pity, I was hoping for some executions involving a disco ball.

I thought Starkweather was making a weird pass at Cash with that line, then I heard it at least a dozen more times (it's the first thing you hear after you return to that checkpoint, and like I said, the upstairs part is really hard) and figured out he's just creepily ushering Cash into the showers.

Iron Chitlin posted:

Was there a reason you didn't take the new shotgun?

Not especially, just foreknowledge that there's gonna be plenty of them in the upcoming scene.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE

Kill The Rabbit

At this point, I can also dump all the concept art we've unlocked so far (each piece is earned by getting three or more stars on a scene). Enjoy!

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!
:goatdrugs:
The Camheads were always my favorite hunters, and their gimmick gave them so much potential. They very well could have been people following Cash, or even a group designed for some sort of P.O.V. catalog. It always bothered me that something this weird and dark was cut from the game...

:iiam:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The Jury sound like they might have been intended to be some kind of moralistic vigilantes, dispensing good ol' tabloid justice with baseball bats and beheadings. They'd have a good motivation to pursue Cash if Starkweather whispered in their ear about him dodging the needle/gaschamber/whatever the hell they kill convicts with in Carcer City -- which I imagine is probably some medieval sawing-through-the-whole-torso-from-crotch-to-sternum thing considering the dark world the game's established.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I could have sworn I went back through the level to find and shotgun that guy behind the bulletproof glass once. Or I tried to, at least. It's been so long since I played this game I can't actually swear I didn't imagine it.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I really like that sniping section for two reasons:

1) I generally like sniping sections in video games; I loved Silent Scope (especially in the arcade, but console was okay)
2) It gives some major catharsis to be able to deal with these assholes who have been following you and knocking you silly throughout the whole game by taking them down in droves.

It made me smile.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I don't get why Starkweather thought that a few Smileys would be enough to kill Cash when he's made it out of worse situations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

I don't get why Starkweather thought that a few Smileys would be enough to kill Cash when he's made it out of worse situations.

Yeah, I mean he killed more Smileys going into that room than he had to face down in the room itself. It just seemed a little limp as far as executions go, if Starkweather really wanted him dead he probably should've sent in a huge squad of those private soldier guys with nightvision goggles and cut the power.

Or, you know, just have someone gank Cash from behind, tie him up, drag him off and shoot him point blank.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Lotish posted:

I could have sworn I went back through the level to find and shotgun that guy behind the bulletproof glass once. Or I tried to, at least. It's been so long since I played this game I can't actually swear I didn't imagine it.

The door to the room Cash is supposed to die in locks behind him when the Smileys start filing in, so you can't go back far enough to get that guy, I tried as well but there doesn't seem to be any way to make it an even 50 kills for the scene.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I mean he killed more Smileys going into that room than he had to face down in the room itself. It just seemed a little limp as far as executions go, if Starkweather really wanted him dead he probably should've sent in a huge squad of those private soldier guys with nightvision goggles and cut the power.

Or, you know, just have someone gank Cash from behind, tie him up, drag him off and shoot him point blank.

You gotta keep in mind, Starkweather's making a movie, and Cash is the only one who can hear the his directions, so the viewers of the finished movie have no idea what's actually going on. While the better trained and armored soldiers would have certainly ended things then and there, they aren't characters in the film, they've just been stage hands placing the star where he needs to be between scenes. Part of the facade of the Manhunt is that the gangs are in control, and so the gangs have to get their man in the end. Really, five shotgunners should have done the job (and it is more shotguns at once than in any previous room), it's only through divide-and-conquer tactics that Cash survives. I do wish they'd been a little more clever with it, have some trick in the room that'd kill most of the enemies without which it'd be impossible to get through, but you can see why they'd expect to kill him there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I just think that encounter could've used better design. Like maybe have the player have no quiet way to kill enemies at that point, and give them all something that's like instant-kill (chainsaws?). So the trick would be luring an enemy away from the others, firing off a shot to kill them, then taking their weapon and doing the old ring-around-the-pillars trick to run away from the others. Then when you're hidden, lure an enemy, kill with chainsaw, repeat.

That's just one idea, it seems silly given the game's mechanics that they made such an anti-climactic encounter that was supposed to be the death of you. But then maybe that was the point.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Honestly, I think Starkweather underestimating Cash is not just understandable but almost inescapable; he consistently talks down to Cash. The only time he's paid Cash a compliment is after he murders a dude. Cash is a prop for Starkweather, he's disposable. Starkweather's been doing this, the game implies, for some time now (you didn't think the catalog entries in the instruction manual were for movies starring Cash, didja?), he's used to the idea that the kind of yahoos he acquires will die as soon as he sets them up. Most of them probably get so used to doing what they're told, through the headset, that they hardly even question it. But Cash doesn't do that; Cash fights back. And Starkweather doesn't entirely know what to do with that.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

King Vidiot posted:

I just think that encounter could've used better design. Like maybe have the player have no quiet way to kill enemies at that point, and give them all something that's like instant-kill (chainsaws?). So the trick would be luring an enemy away from the others, firing off a shot to kill them, then taking their weapon and doing the old ring-around-the-pillars trick to run away from the others. Then when you're hidden, lure an enemy, kill with chainsaw, repeat.

That's just one idea, it seems silly given the game's mechanics that they made such an anti-climactic encounter that was supposed to be the death of you. But then maybe that was the point.

You have kind of described one of the later scenes, so good guess.

It doesn't really go that way, but it's pretty close.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Cash fights back. And Starkweather doesn't entirely know what to do with that.

Besides sic his wardog on him.

UPDATE

Divided They Fall

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Fiendly posted:

Besides sic his wardog on him.

UPDATE

Divided They Fall

Yeah, I always figured this chapter as being Starkweather's attempt to spin gold from straw. Cash may have just hosed his plans, but hey, maybe he can get a new movie out of this. The cameras are still up, after all.

...it doesn't go according to plan.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Yeah, I always figured this chapter as being Starkweather's attempt to spin gold from straw. Cash may have just hosed his plans, but hey, maybe he can get a new movie out of this. The cameras are still up, after all.

...it doesn't go according to plan.

Well technically they're still trying to get the ending to the initial production since the 'star' hasn't perished like the script wanted him to.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE

Press Coverage

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

...huh. I always thought it was Gary Shaver, not Shaefer. Interesting.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Once the game switched over to cops instead of gang members, I briefly tried to get by just by distracting them and running past without killing them. I got about halfway through the level before I gave up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Seyser Koze posted:

Once the game switched over to cops instead of gang members, I briefly tried to get by just by distracting them and running past without killing them. I got about halfway through the level before I gave up.

I might have had the briefest of hesitation at brutally killing cops execution style, but I'd gone so far down the hole by that point that I didn't really try for the non-lethal approach. But since Starkweather wasn't heavy-breathing in my ear any more I didn't really feel the need to go for yellow or red executions. For that matter, you could maybe argue that the tonfa's first-level executions might not actually kill some of your targets so that's also an option.

But yeah, once you get to the halfway point you're railroaded into gunfights with shotguns so you have to start killing by then, one way or another.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I just figured "gently caress these guys, they're all in Starkweather's pocket" and murdered them with abandon, personally. I don't know what that says about me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That reporter sounds familiar. Is that White Debbie from Sealab 2021?

I just figured "gently caress these guys, they're all in Starkweather's pocket" and murdered them with abandon, personally. I don't know what that says about me.

That you'd get along well with Shaefer, presumably. Either of them.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That reporter sounds familiar. Is that White Debbie from Sealab 2021?

I'm 99.9% certain it's White Debbie

I half expected her to started yelling at Marco or Sparks or asking for Stimutacs

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh boy, if I'm remembering this game right, this next level is a doozy.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I like the shift from gangs to police. It's a bit more stark of a transition than it was from gang to gang and makes you actually stop for a second to think about whether or not you're still doing this out of survival or just because Cash might actually be a psychopath for real. The fact the cops are probably all either corrupt or misinformed about who they're after kind of means little when they're all shooting to kill, really.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE

Wrong Side Of The Tracks

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I actually really loved this mission. Which makes me unusual, I know, but I dug the way it really ratcheted up the tension with a gun battle that never felt as plodding or dull as some of the Innocentz sections. The game really felt like it was building to a climax here.

That said, my first time through I got killed by that last dude behind the hot dog cart and holy poo poo was I pissed.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

That said, my first time through I got killed by that last dude behind the hot dog cart and holy poo poo was I pissed.

I couldn't get past him on one of my five star attempts (I saved at the last checkpoint and kept retrying from there) until I remembered that I still had the sniper rifle I had foolishly carried into the scene and took him out that way. Turned out I had missed some kills in the preceding area and didn't get five stars anyway.

I had to play this scene a lot and it never played out the same way twice, which is to its credit I'd say. Keeps the sense of danger and fear going like nothing else we've seen, and considering what that comparison entails, it's quite a feat. I come out in favor of how it was designed, but it's so unforgiving and out of place in Manhunt that I can understand why there's strong feelings against it as well. It's more controversial than the cop murder it prominently features.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I know you're going for high bodycounts/level ratings but if I recall from my own playthrough(s) you can pretty easily just evade those SWAT guys in the subway tunnel. That's the big sticking point, and it's no big deal to just grab the save VHS and then keep at it until you slip past into the next area.

Also this thread's making me nostalgic for game rentals. Manhunt is one of those games that I loved playing but never owned because I just took advantage of week-long rentals to beat and re-beat them. I got through a big chunk of Manhunt on Hardcore mode and unlocked most of the secret stages just from a few rentals.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

For me, getting through the tunnels gauntlet is always the hardest part. Once I could get into the control room safely, it was usually smooth sailing to the end of the level.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

King Vidiot posted:

I know you're going for high bodycounts/level ratings but if I recall from my own playthrough(s) you can pretty easily just evade those SWAT guys in the subway tunnel. That's the big sticking point, and it's no big deal to just grab the save VHS and then keep at it until you slip past into the next area.

My goal for the recording was to not die at all. It's a much easier scene if you rush to each checkpoint, die, and retry from that point a few times (still not easy, but easier). To get through without doing so, it's crazy risky to let even one person live since any one of them can kill you instantly if they see you before you see them, so my best bet was to go all First Blood on that part.

Lotish posted:

For me, getting through the tunnels gauntlet is always the hardest part. Once I could get into the control room safely, it was usually smooth sailing to the end of the level.

If you rush straight to the door in the tunnels with the lock that can be shot off, without ever slowing down or shooting anyone, you can get through that door and into the control room without ever getting shot at yourself, but it's a trap because the SWAT guys will take the opportunity to seal every exit and close in until you're cornered. I have some hilarious deaths on recording from trying that route.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I remember luring guys into that hallway before the control room to play "pop-up serial killer," because you can use walls as cover, and that worked for me. I'm pretty sure I did soften up the opposition before hitting the door, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord those are some ridiculous time trial conditions.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
UPDATE

Trained To Kill

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Great update as usual. Also, awesome work on connecting the GTA games to this one :)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

"I love a good hobo hunt." Yeah, that would be the kind of line that made sure I never felt bad about killing the Carcer City cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Carcer city at this point is probably ten times worse than Racoon city ever was. As of GTAV, the city could be pretty much leveled to the ground or completely deserted.

I'm playing through the game myself, so maybe I'll be able to catch up before you start going through the manor.

• Locked thread