Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
WELCOME TO THE MACHINE

quote:

Dextromethorphan (DXM or DM) is an antitussive (cough suppressant) drug. It is one of the active ingredients in many over-the-counter cold and cough medicines, including generic labels and store brands, Benylin DM, Mucinex DM, Robitussin, NyQuil, Dimetapp, Vicks, Coricidin, Delsym, TheraFlu, and others. Dextromethorphan has also found other uses in medicine, ranging from pain relief to psychological applications. It is sold in syrup, tablet, spray, and lozenge forms. In its pure form, dextromethorphan occurs as a white powder.[3]

DXM is also used recreationally. When exceeding label-specified maximum dosages, dextromethorphan acts as a dissociative hallucinogen. Its mechanism of action is via multiple effects, including actions as a nonselective serotonin reuptake inhibitor[4] and a sigma-1 receptor agonist.[5][6] DXM and its major metabolite, dextrorphan, also acts as an NMDA receptor antagonist at high doses, which produces effects similar to, yet distinct from, the dissociative states created by other dissociative anaesthetics such as ketamine and phencyclidine. As well, the metabolite 3-methoxymorphinan of dextrorphan (thus a second-level metabolite of DXM) produces local anesthetic effects in rats with potency above dextrorphan, but below that of DXM.[7]

sangye posted:

Yesterday I had my first DXM trip which was really quite an interesting experience, it's inspired me to research the drug, and to share the details of my [probably quite mundane] trip. First off, I'm 230lbs (~105 kg), and took a 3-part dose for a total of 1062mg -- approximately 9.65 mg / kg, putting me right in the middle of 3rd plateau doses. My experiences are consistent with what Dextroverse has down for this plateau:

'3rd Plateau: 7.5-15 mg/kg - This level has strong intoxications and hallucinations. Things can become very confusing as your thinking processes are disturbed. You can sometimes daze-off into your own world, and get lost in your own mind. Trips in this plateau can sometimes be unpleasant.'

What follows is the basic chronology of my experience, which I'll discuss more in-depth afterwards.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• 4:10pm - Took 6 fl. oz of Robitussin Maximum Strength (15mg DXM / 5ml), or 531mg of DXM.

• 4:15pm - Dry mouth with a lingering unpleasant taste.

• 4:20pm - Noted 'tingling' in extremities, with numb fingertips (psychosomatic?).

• 4:30pm - Vision increasingly sluggish, especially when moving head around. Light-headedness and slight nausea noted.

• 5:10pm - Strong light-headedness, pronounced tunnel vision, euphoria.

• 5:20pm - Finished 8 fl. oz 15mg DXM / 5ml bottle (an additional 177mg), for a combined total of 708mg of DXM.

• 5:25pm - I blame this on the already present neurological effects, but at this point I took another 4 fl. oz of 15mg DXM / 5ml (an additional 354mg), for a final total of 1062mg of DXM. In hindsight I see taking this large of a dose on my first trip as irresponsible, and would advise against it to others.

• 5:45pm - Feeling increasingly euphoric, everything around me seems more pronounced visually and I decide to take a walk in the afternoon park. As I stand up I promptly collapse back into my chair, realizing that I won't be able to walk, I'm extremely dizzy and my vision seems to be lagging behind by a lot. I instead open iTunes and start an Andain / Buddha Bar / Enya / Hooverphonic / Moby / Shpongle / Tristania playlist.

• 6:00pm - Everything around me is gradually becoming distorted, straight lines are becoming wavy, and I keep tilting my head from side to side as such subtle changes result in a radically different perception of the 3d world around me. It also seems though as my two eyes are no longer synchronized. I don't quite know how to describe this, but I experienced vision differently for the following few hours -- almost as though my two eyes reported stimuli individually, and the reports of these stimuli were never merged into a single image. It wasn't like double vision, in which two sets of visual stimuli are merged but are offset, I was literally experiencing vision through both eyes seperately.

6:10pm - I feel as though I'm melding into my chair, I become somewhat unaware of my body, as my thoughts float in no particular direction. I can't fully recall the specific details of my trip from here until a few hours later, but I do recall a growing appreciation for the music that I had been listening to. I had earlier read that DXM users report this effect, so I may have been expecting it with the possibility of a psychosomatic confirmation bias, but I definitely enjoyed the effects that the music at least seemed to have on me. At this point I also noticed that my face was entirely numb.

• 6:15pm (?) - I began hallucinating at this point. My first hallucination was closed-eye and exceedingly abstract. I saw myself from a 3rd-person-perspective as an eagle flying above an abstract, geometric background. It was very cartoonish (reminded me of 'The Wall'), and I melded into what appeared to be the 3rd Reich eagle. I had been unconsciously spreading my arms outward, which apparently disturbed my roommate next to me who was cooking dinner (I hadn't told him that I would be taking DXM), and a remark brought me back to this world as I opened my eyes. As I looked at him, I stared blankly and had no idea what this foreign intruder wanted. I was subconsciously trying to 'snap out of it', but I continued to stare with my arms spread out, at which point he must have turned back to his Ramen, as I don't remember anything else about interacting with him.

• 6:20pm - I noticed the powerful effect that moving my arms around me had, and put myself back into my previous hallucination by spreading my arms outwards again and closing my eyes. This time it was less abstract and more vivid, and I believe it was either in the first-person or not from any specific perspective at all, I seemed to simply experience it, without a necessarily distinguishable point of view. I am in space, soaring between celestial bodies and through clouds of stellar dust, totally seperated from any previous notions of 'self'. I'm overcome by an incredible feeling of well-being, and am unaware of my own physical manifestation for a good deal of time. Every beat of the music was like a pang of orgasmic perfection, and my hallucination synchronized itself eerily with what I was listening to. A desk fan was blowing in my face the whole time, which felt immensely pleasurable.

• 7:10pm - I open my eyes and everything is still very distorted. My dry-mouth must have become a lot worse, although I didn't experience the sensations in my mouth in those terms. There was a bottle of water sitting next to me, but it seemed to be in a different reality. I was staring at it for what must have been quite some time, but I simply couldn't bring myself to reach out and grab it. I can't describe what was going on in my mind at that point other than that I felt disconnected from the reality around me, and that I couldn't affect the bottle in any way. I closed my eyes and must have continued to trip, although I don't recall any of it. I was aware of my arms moving though, usually either being held outward or clenched to the back of my head.

• 8:00pm - I lapsed out of whatever dream world I had been in at this point and went online to report my experiences thus far on some online web forums. I found typing coherently unusually difficult and time-consuming, and soon gave up out of frustration. I got up to relieve myself in the bathroom, which was difficult as I was still extremely dizzy with intense tunnel vision. Aware of the distorted-mirror-effect cliche of tripping, I took some time to stare at myself in the mirror. While I wasn't aware of any hallucinations, it was an emotionally powerful state, I was staring at myself and thinking about what my life was about, what my purpose on this earth was, and if thinking about it in terms of a 'purpose' was legitimate at all. Quite the science-worshipping nihilist when sober, I was surprised by the decidedly metaphysical and even theological framing that my mind applied to such trains of thought.

• 8:10pm - Back at my computer, I felt like experiencing similar hallucinations while listening to music to which I had strong emotional connotations, after seeing how deeply the music I had been listening to affected my state of mind. I loaded up a playlist of Bob Marley, The Byrds, CCR, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Dire Straits (with some of Mark Knopfler's solo work), The Eagles, and the Moody Blues.

• 8:15pm - I must have been past the peak effect at this point because I didn't experience any fully detached hallucinations like I had between 6 and 8 pm. I closed my eyes and saw various childhood memories being played out before me, all in an ecstatic yet tragically nostalgic haze, but I was aware of my own physical countenance for the duration. I was getting very emotional, and felt as though my life was a terrible waste. Aware of my previous history of depression, I was consciously changing where my trains of thought would lead during this time. This conscious involvement was frustrating, and I felt like all that I wanted in the world at that point was to simply 'let go'. If the DXM were still at its full effect, I think I would have.

• 8:55pm - After going through my whole childhood in a half-dreaming state of mind, I again lapsed out and felt a significantly diminishing effect of the DXM. I again tried to type out my experiences in the web forum to a similarly frustrating failure as the previous attempt, and resolved to carry on a more informal conversation with whoever might be on AOL Instant Messenger. My friend in whom I generally confide psychadelic experiences wasn't online, and after starting a conversation with another friend, I started to feel disconnected from the world again. I was aware of my state of mind being totally different from that exhibited by who I was talking with, and decided that I was wasting my time trying to interact with a world in which I wasn't truly 'present'.

• 9:45pm - After spending some more time browsing YouTube and listening to music with my eyes closed, enjoying what were by then nothing more than abstract and geometric closed-eye visuals, I resolved to lie down in bed. Again, I was extremely dizzy and actually stumbled into my roommate's chair who at this point must have realized that I was tripping. After criss-crossing my room I finally made it into bed. I felt very warm (feverish, even), and wasn't able to go to sleep for a while. I also had notable stomach discomfort again.

• 10:00 - 11:00pm - I spent a while enjoying closed-eye visuals, which were constantly morphing. The most notable of these began as a morphing 3-dimensional world that reminded me a lot of the print on the backs of Bicycle playing cards, it was interesting to see how more and more realized patterns emerged out of the simplest patterns, and I soon was seeing a collossal scarab beetle walking through this strange world like a gigantic machine. At some point I drifted off to some of the best sleep I've ever had.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
After-effects (next day):

I woke up the following morning feeling *extremely* good -- better than I have after waking up in several years. It was beyond being well-rested (which certainly was a factor, however, as I rarely sleep that much), everything seemed to radiate intense beauty and happiness, and I had an unusually positive outlook on the day.

At around 7pm in the evening I noted stomach discomfort, which was quickly followed by explosive diarrhea. I'm not quite sure what caused this as I never read anything about diarrhea in the many trip recollections that I had read.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Overall, I definitely enjoyed my first DXM experience. It's an interesting drug that, in sufficient doses, can really take me to a different world. I'm also afraid of its toxicity and the potential for psychological dependence, however, and will err on the side of caution around it. The most powerful effect for me was the way that music was incorporated into my own reality. I need to stress the word 'reality', because I was truly in a different reality around the peak of my experience, everything that I had ever thought and been felt distant.

The intense feelings of well-being and general euphoria / happyness were also, needless to say, thoroughly enjoyable. I think it's an effective dissociative that'll both provide intriguingly distant perspectives, and a chance to leave the world entirely for a few hours.

~ sangye

Trippin' on 'tussin is a poor man's shamanic rite, enjoyed by people of all ages. "Robotripping" allows users an avenue of access into one of the most transcdential byproducts of the industrial evolution since sliced papaver. Seeing as many people don't understand that the role of the modern product, its intended use, and its actual practicality is clouded in obfuscatory marketing and legislative censorship, I feel it is important to offer information that is wholesome and abundantly available, to reinforce the natural rights to knowledge, for those who are able to accept wisdom.

A ticket to the machine

quote:

Recreational use
Dextromethorphan gel capsules
Main article: Recreational use of dextromethorphan

Over-the-counter preparations containing dextromethorphan have been used in manners inconsistent with their labeling, often as a recreational drug.[14] At doses much higher than medically recommended, DXM and its major metabolite, dextrorphan, acts as an NMDA receptor antagonist, which produces effects similar to, yet distinct from, the dissociative hallucinogenic states created by other dissociative anaesthetics such as ketamine and phencyclidine.[15] It may produce distortions of the visual field - feelings of dissociation, distorted bodily perception, and excitement, as well as a loss of sense of time. Some users report stimulant-like euphoria, particularly in response to music. Dextromethorphan usually provides its recreational effects in a non-linear fashion, so that they are experienced in significantly varied stages. These stages are commonly referred to as "plateaus".[16]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Read as DMX thread, very disappointed

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Tardcore posted:

Read as DMX thread, very disappointed

Oh, I forgot to add, please only include posts that are constructive, inquisitive, or useful. If you (or anyone else who wants to post in this good thread) have a question, please first ask yourself "is this post useful? does it contribute to the value of the thread?" before posting. I appreciate your understanding of this warning.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Izumi Konata posted:

Oh, I forgot to add, please only include posts that are constructive, inquisitive, or useful. If you (or anyone else who wants to post in this good thread) have a question, please first ask yourself "is this post useful? does it contribute to the value of the thread?" before posting. I appreciate your understanding of this warning.

sorry op

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I hear he's a lovely rapper.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
dmx is a poo poo rapper pretty much

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
Ya'll don't make OP lose his mind.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

what happened posted:

dmx is a poo poo rapper pretty much

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

I hear he's a lovely rapper.

*calls upon benevolent username="no they will not" to bless this thread, and shepherd it through this bombardment of shitposts

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
x gon give it to ya

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Don't do this stuff. :sweatdrop:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Don't do this stuff. :sweatdrop:

I never tried "robotripping", but I have met people who have had positive experiences. What are your experiences with the illegal use of OTC pharmaceuticals, namely Robitussin, or varied generics?

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I had a few patients that were robotripping.
They were idiots.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
took some dmx last night and now theres a black baby inside of me

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

I was literally experiencing vision through both eyes seperately.

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013
I robotripped once in high school. I stayed home from school and ate a whole bottle of gel caps, couldn't tell you dosages etc. I didn't really hallucinate, but I laid under a blanket and listened to a Primus album like 3 times in a row and really enjoyed it.

I wouldn't recommend trying it, though. I had really dilated pupils when I woke up the next day, and also blood on my dick cuz I hosed a corpse.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

I had a few patients that were robotripping.
They were idiots.

If they didn't deserve or desire criticism, they would never seek your services. Your wisdom of insight is probably quite appreciated by people who seek you for your many exceptional talents.

What have you experienced when taking disassociatives in an effort to explore your own human experience, from the perspective of your ego, supplemented with an applaudably abundant application of wise textbook knowledge?

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

hellotoothpaste posted:

I was literally experiencing vision through both eyes seperately.

did you know the brain is actually just two lateral spheres smashed together with processorlike periphery sandwiched inbetween?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
the brain is a tumor and must be excised

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Best trip I ever had was an entire package of max strength coricidin and 3 hits of acid.

But that is illegal so you shouldn't do it. And it lasted 3 days and WOW. what a loving ride.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
robotripping is a) retarded and b) for teenagers

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

dmx's music is enjoyed by teens AND adults worldwide... do you're research...

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

i choose to remain a skeptic, in light of your inherent lack of a reasonable assertion.

i believe there is a reason dxm was studied extensively as a potential alternative to lsd.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i thought you were sid for a solid month, op
i was deeply shamed when i thought that sid gave himself to anime

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

dmx's music is enjoyed by teens AND adults worldwide... do you're research...

y'all gon' make me LOSE MY MIND itt, itt.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Business Gorillas posted:

i thought you were sid for a solid month, op
i was deeply shamed when i thought that sid gave himself to anime

how has this realization effected your recollection of any past experiences with self-administered disassociatives, especially DXM and its derivative products?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
"knock knock open up the door its real"

^what u will be thinking when ur mind experiences dxm for the first time...

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Izumi Konata posted:

how has this realization effected your recollection of any past experiences with self-administered disassociatives, especially DXM and its derivative products?

is codeine a disassociative or is it a depressant?

one time i gave my codeine syrup to a buddy who rolled a blunt in it for 4/20. he took 3 hits and passed out on the couch for 6 hours.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

one time i gave my codeine syrup to a buddy who rolled a blunt in it for 4/20. he took 3 hits and passed out on the couch for 6 hours.

That's because your friend is too loving stupid to live.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
DXM is fun, but I can afford weed now so I don't do it. Also the last time I did DXM I got a nasty headache.

I always used Delsym because I like longer trips

codeine is an opiate bruh

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

sigma plateau is best plateau

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

sigs turned off crew

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One guy I know eats about a box/day of Triple Cs and he's always thinking irrationally. DXM is really weird I don't know what would make somebody go back into the dextroverse so often. Maybe its cause he's not sipping on syrup every day.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

codeine is both. sativa is a disassociative, and indica is a depressant. the blunt wrap is an uncontrolled variable.

texasmed posted:

DXM is fun, but I can afford weed now so I don't do it. Also the last time I did DXM I got a nasty headache.

I always used Delsym because I like longer trips

codeine is an opiate bruh

know your grow.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Just go on erowid to learn about drugs

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
your life on dxm

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
too bad actavis quit makin that drank because that was the only cough medicine worth sippin

well actually there's still hi-tech prometh and of course tussinex but you know what I'm sayin

I met a kid once that had gone to rehab for dxm and I was like hey man you know there's cough syrup that actually gets you high right? instead of just making you dizzy

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
rip pimp c

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
i robotripped last night for the first time in like five years. what an odd coincidence.

it's still p fun and chill.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

do not do DXM

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

TEAYCHES posted:

do not do DXM

were u for it before you were against it? why did u fail at the parody thread template standards before i realized u preempted me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Hyzenth1ay posted:

i robotripped last night for the first time in like five years. what an odd coincidence.

it's still p fun and chill.

u posted this thread, dumbass. please trip report

• Locked thread