Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I don't think you understand how rivalries work, like at all

I've never really considered MSU a rival. I have two sisters, a brother, and a wife who went there, so it was always more teasing and bragging rights than an actual rivalry. I've never been able to sustain any actual hatred over it. Within the conference, I was always considered Ohio State, Minnesota (despite being so lop-sided), and Wisconsin to be bigger rivals than MSU.

MSU generally has taken that game far more seriously than Michigan ever has. It's a rather one-sided rivalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Jamal Adams is the new Labron James:

Wrong football LSU. :ughh:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

News: TCU beats Tech with 80-some points, does not rise in rankings above a team who had a bye (and Michigan State)

Views: Boooooo.

Also, to the raider fans on here... I'm sorry you guys had to see that. I'm already seeing some Tech folks calling for KK's gorgeous head. I think that's way too premature, but what are your thoughts?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pillsburysoldier posted:

Chad Kelly picker up an offer for VT btw

Scarf posted:

:laffo: apparently Chad "Swag" Kelly got an offer from VT...
http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Chad-Kelly-ACC-offer-17624

Have fun with that shithead, hokies...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Chieves posted:

News: TCU beats Tech with 80-some points, does not rise in rankings above a team who had a bye (and Michigan State)

Also, to the raider fans on here... I'm sorry you guys had to see that. I'm already seeing some Tech folks calling for KK's gorgeous head. I think that's way too premature, but what are your thoughts?

I think those people are absolute idiots and should be taken out back and shot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

I have two sisters, a brother, and a wife who went there, so it was always more teasing and bragging rights than an actual rivalry.

Sounds like the perfect reason to hate them.

I'd be neutral at worst to Kent State, except my brother and sister-in-law went there. Plus its more fun because I know that they'll never, ever, beat my team.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

I've never really considered MSU a rival. I have two sisters, a brother, and a wife who went there, so it was always more teasing and bragging rights than an actual rivalry. I've never been able to sustain any actual hatred over it. Within the conference, I was always considered Ohio State, Minnesota (despite being so lop-sided), and Wisconsin to be bigger rivals than MSU.

MSU generally has taken that game far more seriously than Michigan ever has. It's a rather one-sided rivalry.

you are literally the most tone deaf fucker I've seen on these forums

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
If Kent State played Penn State this season and you didn't let either team pass the ball it would literally end 0-0 after 4 days of gametime had passed.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Alouicious posted:

To be fair, there are a ton of Michigan fans who feel the same way.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alouicious posted:

That's pretty much the way it's always been. The one who is tone deaf is you, for not understanding the dynamic between the two schools.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dattserberg posted:

Deteriorata posted:

That's pretty much the way it's always been. The one who is tone deaf is you, for not understanding the dynamic between the two schools.

lol that just makes michigan fans look way worse

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ole miss needs to lose more. Based Les has already put in his work.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Chieves posted:

They should look to Morgantown, where patience has the Big XII title running through Morgantown.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Alouicious posted:

lol that just makes michigan fans look way worse

Ole Miss fans like to claim that LSU is their real rival because they are still mad about Billy Cannon's punt return that cost them an actual national championship. No one believes them. Freeze tried to put a spin on that during a press conference last week claiming that old fans hate LSU while young fans hate State. It's a weird situation.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They should look to Morgantown, where patience has the Big XII title running through Morgantown.

I was about to counter that the Big XII goes through Manhattan.

Then I realized that all three of K-State's game against the top of the Big XII are on the road.

At least we'll have a loving awesome strength of schedule by the end if we win out.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Connor Cook said it was a spear, so when I saw what it actually was, :lol:.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I thought the reasoning would be something like "blue collar railroad worker mentality" not literally "its from a tent".

witz
Sep 28, 2001

Start winning some games or he'll kill you
Is that a tent stake?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I thought the reasoning would be something like "blue collar railroad worker mentality" not literally "its from a tent".

Yeah, no poo poo.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

witz posted:

Is that a tent stake?

Literally a tent stake.

quote:

During our regular Friday night team meeting, one of the topics presented to motivate our team was a history lesson addressing commitment and teamwork in a tough environment. A tent stake was presented to the team as a symbol of this concept. The stake was brought into our locker room as a visual reminder, and one of our team leaders chose to take it out on the field.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I have absolutely no idea what the reasoning behind it was. On the one hand, I guess I'm glad the team found a way to get fired up and emotional for a change, but if you're going to do poo poo like that you have to have the goods to back it up.

The whole thing just seemed so ridiculous and pointless.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Deteriorata posted:

Michigan fans considered it a pretty big rivalry when the Wolverines were winning.

EDIT: Here's the Paul Bunyan Trophy in the "Rivalry Games" display in Ann Arbor. So regardless of what the fans think, the school considers it a rivalry.

BigBoss fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 26, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Guess Michigan couldn't find an axe or a spear or a railroad spike or something? Must have had a Gander Mountain around the corner.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I'm guessing it was something like how it's easier to set up tents when you work together or maybe something like how a tent needs every stake to be all the way in to truly stand togetahahahahahahahah Jesus Christ I don't even know

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Strobe posted:

I was about to counter that the Big XII goes through Manhattan.

Then I realized that all three of K-State's game against the top of the Big XII are on the road.

At least we'll have a loving awesome strength of schedule by the end if we win out.

Yeah, when I said "the title goes through Morgantown" it's not just figuratively. Baylor, OU, KState and TCU will have all came to Morgantown.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Hoke knows he is done. Burn it all down.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dattserberg posted:

It wasn't as big a big deal for Michigan fans a decade+ ago when they were winning it 9/10 of the time. Now Michigan State fans get to take out their frustration on Michigan, and Michigan fans resent being on the losing end now. As someone with a lot of friends and family who went to Michigan or Michigan State, it's gotten way more snipey in the last three or four years.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
It's just cycles. Michigan State dominated the '60s. It's real hard to maintain dominance year in and year out against a power school.

E: Especially one with a good coach. Once Michigan doesn't get a gently caress stick as HC, both teams will be good. MSU is probably the 4th best team historically in the Big Ten anyway (I'm not counting Nebraska).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BigBoss posted:

Michigan fans considered it a pretty big rivalry when the Wolverines were winning.

They really didn't. I disagree with Det on a lot of things but he's 100% correct on the dynamic, although things are slowly changing. As long as State fans have an inferiority complex and get mad about Little Brother, Michigan fans will continue condescending and treating it like no big deal publicly, or at least brushing it off as "we're bad right now."

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Regnevelc posted:

Hoke knows he is done. Burn it all down.

Hoke Knows (tm)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

C-Euro posted:

It wasn't as big a big deal for Michigan fans a decade+ ago when they were winning it 9/10 of the time. Now Michigan State fans get to take out their frustration on Michigan, and Michigan fans resent being on the losing end now. As someone with a lot of friends and family who went to Michigan or Michigan State, it's gotten way more snipey in the last three or four years.
When State was bad, it wasn't really all that interesting and beating State was no more exciting that beating, say, CMU.

It was fun when both teams were good and you could poo poo talk about it all week before, then watch the game together and laugh about it afterwards. The problem now is not so much that Michigan is losing, it's that they're not even competitive and it's a glaring reminder of how far the program has fallen in the last decade.

State fans have every reason to gloat at the moment and I don't begrudge them enjoying their current status a bit.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
A literal tent stake. Not even a railroad stake.

A tent stake.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think they misheard him. Brady Hoke said he wanted TEN STEAKS.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The TCU/TTU game was pretty amusing to me, just because I saw a lot of TCU fans deflecting accusations of running up the score using basically the same arguments they ignored when they were mad at Baylor for scoring 70 on people a year ago. I missed the second half - did Tech turn the ball over any more, or did their defense just melt? They didn't actually have a horrible first half, given the expectations and being on the road.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 26, 2014

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Looks like one of Penn States LBs was attempting to poke Barretts eye out or something:http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...ging-jt-barrett

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

pre:
		HOKE
It's like ahh, uhh, y'know, I want, uh, I feel
like, ten steaks.

PLAYER
Tent stakes?

HOKE
Yeauhah well, y'know, sometimes when you're uh,
y'know, sometimes, sometimes you need to have,
ah, have ten steaks.

PLAYER
We should have tent stakes?

HOKE
Right, uh, yeah. Good practice. We had a good 
practice.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

pillsburysoldier posted:

Chad Kelly picker up an offer for VT btw

hahahahah what the flying gently caress is this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Roasted Donut posted:

that's totally true but it also doesn't account for constantly throwing behind receivers, throwing off his back foot, and terrible decision making at times

anyways, so as loving angry and miserable as i was last night today is a lot better. our anniversary is tomorrow so we just exchanged presents today and she got me tickets to the PSU/Sparty game at the end of the year. I'm so drat happy, i haven't been to a game since undergrad

It does though. A lot of those things are the result of his throws being rushed or him rushing himself because he constantly expects to be hit at any second.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Michigan needed a tent stake because the defensive line was going to be camping out in the offensive backfield all day! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pakled posted:

Coaches Poll is out.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2014/12/

code:
1 	Miss State 	7-0 	
2 	Florida State 	7-0 	
3 	Alabama 	7-1 	
4 	Auburn 	        6-1 		
5 	Michigan State 	7-1 	
6 	Oregon 	        7-1 	
7 	Notre Dame 	6-1 	
8 	Georgia 	6-1 	
9 	Ole Miss 	7-1 	
10 	TCU 	        6-1 		
11 	Kansas State 	6-1 	
12 	Baylor 	        6-1 	
13 	Ohio State 	6-1 	
14 	Arizona State 	6-1 	
15 	Arizona 	6-1 	
16 	Nebraska 	7-1 	
17 	LSU 	        7-2 		
18 	Utah 	        6-1 		
19 	East Carolina 	6-1 	
20 	Oklahoma 	5-2 	
21 	Clemson 	6-2 	
22 	West Virginia 	6-2 	
23 	Marshall 	8-0 	
24 	Duke 	        6-1 	
25 	UCLA 	        6-2 		

haha Oregon beats MSU, ranked behind them. But that's not all, Arizona beats Oregon, is ranked 9 behind us

• Locked thread