Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Why don't movies come out on VHS anymore? I miss being able to just fast-forward through ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Helpimscared posted:

Why don't movies come out on VHS anymore? I miss being able to just fast-forward through ads.

:gas:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

When I was a kid I played this VHS over and over so many times it got ruined, that's why you are wrong OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMKtzw4Wn18

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

When I was a kid I played this VHS over and over so many times it got ruined, that's why you are wrong OP

The Incredible Crash Test Dummies film version was cut for violence to secure a more commercial pg rating. Scenes that differ from the theatrical cut are as follows:

[*]An alternate ending where the kids at home are asked to purchase Slick & Spin toys and if they don't, their parents will most certainly be decapitated in a head on collision.
[*]Dr. Zub is interrupted by his assistant with news about Ted and Junkman. In this version, Dr. Zub is seen with his hand moving back and forth and "sexy" noises coming from the tv along sounds of cars crashing.
[*]In a scene where Junkman's arm is torn off by Ted closing the door on it, Junkman can be seen mouthing "gently caress". The audio is still silent, but the mouth isn't blurred in this version.
[*]18 uses of the word "T-Boned"
source imdb trivia page

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bullshit, V/H/S 2 had way better pacing and talent.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Bad special effects looked better on vhs.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

chisel and stone was way better

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
movies still come out on VHS

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
first blu ray movie I ever watched was Starship Troopers and I had to witness Casper van Diem's serious razor burn in some scenes

sometimes people look way better when the picture quality is poo poo

naem
May 29, 2011

Volume posted:

Nothing beat that spooky lady

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Volume posted:

Is it actually worth the watch? V/H/S was just okay.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nascardad posted:

movies still come out on VHS

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I got a girlfriend that's better than that.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
i like the sex one with the vampire

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

movies had more personality on vhs

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
used to love eating a bigfoot pizza while watching vhs tapes.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
VHS sucked. I remember renting movies that wouldn't play for poo poo no matter how many times you cleaned the heads or hosed with tracking.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Michael Corleone posted:

used to love eating a bigfoot pizza while watching vhs tapes.

that was a little caesars thing right?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I don't miss storing vhs tapes OP, I'll tell you that

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that was a little caesars thing right?

probably, but i thought it was pizza hut for some reason.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I remember having to go to the video store to rent videos, and the player as well. They were quite expensive at the beginning. Movies also came out at a really high initial price, aimed at rental stores, then came out later at a much lower sell-through price. I had a friend who bought two VCRs (at something like $600 each) and a rental copy of a couple of brand new releases like "The Empire Strikes Back" (at something like $100 each). He'd tape the movies and sell them to friends for $40. Paid off the whole setup in a month.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

genesplicer posted:

I remember having to go to the video store to rent videos, and the player as well. They were quite expensive at the beginning. Movies also came out at a really high initial price, aimed at rental stores, then came out later at a much lower sell-through price. I had a friend who bought two VCRs (at something like $600 each) and a rental copy of a couple of brand new releases like "The Empire Strikes Back" (at something like $100 each). He'd tape the movies and sell them to friends for $40. Paid off the whole setup in a month.

my parents rented me a super-nintendo once when I was sick

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Helpimscared posted:

There are ads in movies? I wouldn't know because I just run it through VLC and go straight to the movie.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Ratjaculation posted:

I remember this as a kid. I had the henchmen dummies. Shame it never became a real cartoon series.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dead Precedents posted:

Is it actually worth the watch? V/H/S was just okay.

The shorts in VHS2 are, in order: terrible, loving terrible, great, okish.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

thank you for this, i love you

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

boom boom boom posted:

Good to know. Thanks, bud.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

School Nickname posted:

first blu ray movie I ever watched was Starship Troopers and I had to witness Casper van Diem's serious razor burn in some scenes

sometimes people look way better when the picture quality is poo poo
first blu ray i saw was speed racer and it was loving awesome

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

thank you for this, i love you

Were you a fan?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i had crash dummies toys as a kid well i had one of them and a car it was the only brand name toys that i had and i forgot all about them but i never saw that movie

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

V/H/S2 is better than that. The only excellent one is the cult compound one, but the others hold their own. V/H/S 1 is kinda boring to me.

I just watched the third one and I gotta say this doesn't even feel closely related to the first two but a couple of the shorts are great.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i liked both v/h/s and the second one and every time ive tried to show someone they always dont like it but i think i like the first one the most

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

didnt know there was a third, wow, amazing

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

lonesomedwarf posted:

didnt know there was a third, wow, amazing

just a heads up, the frame story makes no loving sense but the shorts are solid, but none of it fits the tone of the first two movies.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Ka0 posted:

I don't miss storing vhs tapes OP, I'll tell you that

Or rewinding them.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I liked when Nintendo mailed me the Star Fox 64 promotion on VHS. Watching the Sega and Sony guys torturing Mario was pretty sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0i_SI63I70

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Betamax was much better in terms of quality. 15 year old overly replayed tapes were better than freshly taped VHS ones on a brand new machine back in the late 90's... I bet the tapes will outlast more recent technology like DVDs and Blueray in terms of lifetime playability. I've seen CDs degrade in 5 to 20 years. Haven't replayed DVDs enough yet to notice how long they actually last.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ9qcp6Lcno

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

hemophilia posted:

V/H/S2 is better than that. The only excellent one is the cult compound one, but the others hold their own. V/H/S 1 is kinda boring to me.

I just watched the third one and I gotta say this doesn't even feel closely related to the first two but a couple of the shorts are great.

The first story in VHS2 makes no loving sense.The guy get's a prosthetic eye that also records sound for some reason, and the eye lets him see ghoststhat were always there, except that they don't just manifest as images, they move poo poo around and bang on doors and attack people. He would have noticed the ghosts even with only one regular human eye if they were doing poo poo like that. There was no reason for them to suddenly start doing poo poo when he got the eye. There was no reason for them to suddenly attacking him. And a teen girl shows up to explain everything and then have sex with him. It was really stupid and made no sense.

An artificial eye wouldn't record sound!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Ramsus posted:

Bad special effects looked better on vhs.
I was a little disappointed when I saw Jurassic Park on bluray. The raptors looked more real on VHS :(

• Locked thread