Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Sorry about having to make a new thread, but some posters were trolling the other one too hard for good discussion about chickens. So let's make it clear from the get go POST ABOUT POULTRY ONLY IN THIS THREAD

that means (for those of you who don't have reading comprehension)

- NO pictures of smileys pulling down their pants and farting and that sort of thing

- NO pictures of anything not poultry related

- NO discussion of things non-poultry related

It's fine if you don't like poultry. If you have something to say, a reasonable argument to put forward about why we shouldn't care about poultry THAT'S FINE but SUPPORT YOUR CLAIMS

Debate 101, people.

Anyway, back to the subject.

This is a thread for people to chat about chickens BUT ALSO all kinds of poultry, from geese to pheasants to peacocks and right back to chickens. And ducks.

Here's my OP from the last thread:

Inevitable posted:

Hey everyone, do you like chickens? Let's talk about chickens in this thread.

Chickens lay eggs, which makes them one of the more useful pets. It's like, hey, your little feathery pal just gave you some breakfast right out of their combo rear end/vagina! That's pretty cool. Dogs don't do that. Neither do cats.

There are different kinds of chickens you can get. I have a Rhode Island red and a barred plymoth rock. I used to have an Americauna that laid green eggs but she battered her head against a wall until she died of a broken neck. Chickens can be kind of stupid.

One thing that sucks about chickens, and I guess most animals, is that they do crap a lot. And you have to clean it. But one weird thing that some people do is "the deep litter method" where they don't actually clean the chicken crap all winter long. They just put more hay on top of the crap, and then more hay on top of that after the chickens have crapped on that for a while. The crap underneath starts to compost and then this makes it warmer in the henhouse so the chickens are happier. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. It seems a little gross, but hey, if it works.

Anyway. if anybody else has something to say about chickens, or maybe you have questions, or maybe you'd like to post some pictures of chickens, this is the thread for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
cluck cluck?

im gay?

Brock Hardchin
Aug 17, 2007

You don't need anyone or anything to party 'til ya puke.
where the chicks @

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I absolutely love Turkey.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
For some reason I had it in my head for years that roasting a whole chicken was hard but it really isn't! I just shoved a half a lemon and some onion up its arse, squeezed the other half over it, rubbed with olive oil and salt and gently caress a bug just flew into my head.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Darf posted:

im gay?

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Darf posted:

cluck cluck?

im gay?

Did you know that chickens have been known to change their sex? It's true, it's called spontaneous sex reversal. Here's an article

http://www.livescience.com/13514-sex-change-chicken-gertie-hen-bertie-cockerel.html

quote:

A British couple was surprised to witness their pet hen Gertie gradually transforming into a rooster. No, this is not an early April Fools' Day prank. Chickens really can undergo natural sex changes.

The first sign that something was afoot with Gertie was that she stopped laying eggs, her owners, Jim and Jeanette Howard of Huntingdon, England, told the local media. Next, she began strutting around their garden and crowing like a rooster. Over the next few weeks, Gertie put on weight and developed wattles beneath her chin, a feature normally exhibited only by males. She also grew dark brown plumage and a scarlet cockscomb atop her head, both male traits.

''I know it sounds ridiculous but I can assure you it's all true," Jim Howard told cambridge-news.co.uk. "People think it's a bit weird but apparently its one of those things that does happen."

"Sex reversals do, in fact, occur—although not very frequently," states a 2000 report published by the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. "To date, however, spontaneous sex reversal from male to female has not been reported."

That's because the mechanics of this biological phenomenon seem to work in only one direction. Normally, female chickens have just one functional ovary, on their left side. Although two sex organs are present during the embryonic stages of all birds, once a chicken's female genes kick in, it typically develops only the left ovary. The right gonad, which has yet to be defined as an ovary, testes, or both (called an ovotestis), typically remains dormant.

Certain medical conditions—such as an ovarian cyst, tumor or diseased adrenal gland—can cause a chicken's left ovary to regress. In the absence of a functional left ovary, the dormant right sex organ may begin to grow, according to Mike Hulet, an associate professor at Penn State University's department of poultry science.

"If the activated right gonad is an ovotestis or testes, it will begin secreting androgens," Hulet told Life's Little Mysteries. Androgens are the class of hormones that are largely responsible for male characteristics and are normally secreted by the testes. "The production of androgen would cause the hen to undergo behavioral changes and make it act more like a rooster."

The hen does not completely change into a rooster, however. This transition is limited to making the bird phenotypically male, meaning that although the hen will develop physical characteristics that will make her look male, she will remain genetically female. So while the hen will no longer lay eggs, she won't be fathering any offspring, either.

As for Gertie, the Howards have renamed the hen Bertie after her sex change.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

For some reason I had it in my head for years that roasting a whole chicken was hard but it really isn't! I just shoved a half a lemon and some onion up its arse, squeezed the other half over it, rubbed with olive oil and salt and gently caress a bug just flew into my head.

Did you kill the chicken first?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You should try beer canned chicken sometime. It is amazing.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Mix horse and cow poo poo with rotten produce and put it in a pile and it will feed your chickens.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

Inevitable posted:

Did you know that chickens have been known to change their sex? It's true, it's called spontaneous sex reversal. Here's an article

http://www.livescience.com/13514-sex-change-chicken-gertie-hen-bertie-cockerel.html

Life finds a way op

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Darf posted:

Did you kill the chicken first?

What? Nah mate it was three bucks at woolies.

Edit: Got the bug. I don't even know how it got in I've got my fly screen closed.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Got three eggs today from the 'kens (what i call my chickens). Mabel didn't want me to pet her. And I stepped right in Sunny's poo poo.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
i think its funny how we've selectively bred factory turkeys/chickens to the point where breast meat has become such a priority that if they grow past slaughter age their legs will give out due to their massive chicken titties and they will die under the weight of their own disproportionate body. pretty 'lol' worthy!!!

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
POPE'S NOSE!!!!

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
This thread is now about goblins

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

NILBOG

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my neighbors have chickens and sometimes they get out but two of them always follow the slightly larger one, which is dumb and goes around in circles basically. i think it's a rooster only it never crows so it might just be a bigger chicken. anyway its weird to sometimes see escaped chickens when you're pulling into your driveway late at night.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh OP I have prophetic powers and I've become aware of something that's going to happen in the future in this thread that you should nip in the bud. Some DICK is going to barge in here and repeat, almost word for word, that Louis CK bit about duck cunts and domination. They won't even realise how inconsiderate they're being.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Perhaps the worst thing about owning chickens is that some times they get out of their coop and run around the yard and that's okay, but mine like to poop right outside my back door and for some reason they know when I'm going to go outside barefoot and prepare accordingly. The feeling of soupy green chickenshit between your naked toes is unrivaled in terms of unexpected disgustingness.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

You guys are trolling and please re-read the rules.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
The last place I worked at had a deal with a farm that supplied 'nomadic chickens'. They lived in a caravan and every few days got driven over to another part of the farm. Then a fox killed 51 of them so we had to take nomadic chicken off the menu. I wanted to eat that fox so badly.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Hey, if you jerks want to post goblins fine, but MAKE IT loving CHICKEN OR POULTRY RELATED SOMEHOW

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Inevitable posted:

You guys are trolling and please re-read the rules.

I'm goblining, human being.

naem
May 29, 2011

Birds R good

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sorry I spoiled you effort post in your first thread, OP.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Not

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Just post something about poltry and you might just find you like it :D

Have you ever wondered why we don't eat turkey eggs? this answer from Yahoo answers answers that question!

quote:

turkey eggs are rarely used for eating and cooking for two main reasons. The first is that they are too valuable for human consumption. The turkey hen is larger and requires more time to come into egg production than the chicken hen.
Also, because certain feed ingredients can be transferred by the hen to the egg, these ingredients must be cleared as safe by government agencies. Although many of the ingredients have been cleared for use in laying chicken hen feeds, these same ingredients have not been cleared for turkey hens, therefore these eggs can not be legally sold for human consumption. The turkey egg has thicker and tougher shell membranes and thicker shells than chicken eggs, making them more difficult to break than chicken eggs.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My wife's grandfather used to raise fighting cocks.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

No. 6 posted:

My wife's grandfather used to raise fighting cocks.

That's super cool :thumbsup: Does she have any stories about her grandfather's cocks?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBPGW0SRFKw

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

not cool, read the loving rules again

content: check out this picture I just found! Weird!

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

this is Very Disgusting ruggan. shame on you

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

same

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

kfc recieves their chicken as a white powder in a bag thats run through a special fryer to form it into chicken. verified, true, and very hosed up

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

well it was about poultry

I do enjoy chicken and turkey but you gotta give the duck credit for its fine taste in curries and whatnot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Chi-ken good Dallas lee loo multi pass 1997

• Locked thread