Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Ruggan posted:

well it was about poultry

I do enjoy chicken and turkey but you gotta give the duck credit for its fine taste in curries and whatnot

ducks make good companions to chickens! I'm thinking about getting a duck. But then, it would probably need a pond or something. Or can ducks be happy without water to swim in? Please advise, ducksperts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Inevitable posted:

ducks make good companions to chickens! I'm thinking about getting a duck. But then, it would probably need a pond or something. Or can ducks be happy without water to swim in? Please advise, ducksperts.

I tried to warn you but it's like you have a death wish or something. I can't help you if you won't let me.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
quail are also a lot of fun and relatively easy to raise.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Breast and thigh supremacy

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Inevitable posted:

the duck will probably rape the chicken. don't do it please

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

Chi-ken good Dallas lee loo multi pass 1997

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
im not quoting because im lazy, but we have had a duck and chicken living together for years and they're both happy. we give the duck a kiddie pool and she's sufficiently happy with that.

we also just added an australorp and an ameraucana because they're getting kinda old and their egg production is almost non existent now, but at least the australorp is already laying yay

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

malay chickens are big and goofy

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

a hole-y ghost posted:

the duck will probably rape the chicken. don't do it please

not if Inevitable gets there first

quote:

On September 10, 1945, farmer Lloyd Olsen of Fruita, Colorado, United States, was eating supper with his mother-in-law and was sent out to the yard by his wife to bring back a chicken and underware. Olsen chose a five-and-a-half-month-old cockerel named Mike. The axe missed the jugular vein, leaving one ear and most of the brain stem intact.[2][3]

Despite Olsen's failed attempt to behead Mike, Mike was still able to balance on a perch and walk clumsily. He attempted to preen, peck for food, and crow, though with limited success; his "crowing" consisted of a gurgling sound made in his throat.[2]

When Mike did not die, Mr. Olsen decided to continue to care permanently for the bird. He fed it a mixture of milk and water via an eyedropper, and gave it small grains of corn.[2]
Fame

Once his fame had been established, Mike began a career of touring sideshows in the company of such other creatures as a two-headed calf. He was also photographed for dozens of magazines and papers, featuring in Time and Life magazines.[2]

Mike was on display to the public for an admission cost of twenty five cents. At the height of his popularity, the chicken earned US$4,500 per month ($47,500 today)[4] and was valued at $10,000.[2]
Death

In March 1947, at a motel in Phoenix on a stopover while traveling back from tour, Mike started choking in the middle of the night. The Olsens had inadvertently left their feeding and cleaning syringes at the sideshow the day before, and so were unable to save Mike. Olsen claimed that he had sold the bird off, resulting in stories of Mike still touring the country as late as 1949. Other sources say that the chicken's severed trachea could not properly take in enough air to be able to breathe, and it therefore choked to death in the motel.[citation needed]
Post mortem

It was determined that the axe had missed the jugular vein[5] and a clot had prevented Mike from bleeding to death. Although most of his head was severed, most of his brain stem and one ear were left on his body. Since basic functions (breathing, heart-rate, etc.) as well as most of a chicken's reflex actions are controlled by the brain stem, Mike was able to remain quite healthy. This is a good example of central motor generators enabling basic homeostatic functions to be carried out in the absence of the cerebral cortex.[5]
Legacy

Mike the Headless Chicken is now an institution in Fruita, Colorado, with an annual "Mike the Headless Chicken Day", the third weekend of May, starting in 1999. Events held include the "5K Run Like a Headless Chicken Race", egg toss, "Pin the Head on the Chicken", the "Chicken Cluck-Off", and "Chicken Bingo", in which chicken droppings on a numbered grid choose the numbers.[6]

Mike the Headless Chicken was an inspiration for the poultry-themed comedy punk band The Radioactive Chicken Heads, serving as the subject of their 2008 song "Headless Mike", for which a music video was filmed. The band also features a Headless Mike puppet which is frequently used in their live shows.

Humphry
Oct 25, 2014

by XyloJW
I wish I could afford to eat one of those black chickens.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

SirEvelynTremble posted:

not if Inevitable gets there first

Mike the Headless Chicken is a personal hero of mine. Check out the documentary Natural History of the Chicken on Netflix for a great film about chickens that tells his story.

Also, featuring a dramatic reenactment of a chicken coming back from the dead!

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Here's a rooster that could seriously kill a child. Maybe even an adult, like the lady holding it for instance.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Inevitable posted:

Here's a rooster that could seriously kill a child. Maybe even an adult, like the lady holding it for instance.

drat that's a beautiful bird, and the rooster aint bad eiyther haha

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

There's this peacock farm near the park where I work, and the peacocks and hens are constantly wandering onto the park grounds and laying eggs everywhere and harassing the rehabbed eagles and hawks that we keep in outdoor mews. At least they molt nice feathers occasionally that we treat with peroxide and give to visiting kids.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Oh Hell No posted:

There's this peacock farm near the park where I work, and the peacocks and hens are constantly wandering onto the park grounds and laying eggs everywhere and harassing the rehabbed eagles and hawks that we keep in outdoor mews. At least they molt nice feathers occasionally that we treat with peroxide and give to visiting kids.

Anybody ever had peacock eggs? i kind of want a peacock omelet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Oh Hell No posted:

Peacocks are dumb as gently caress and drag their tails through piles of their own poo poo.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Inevitable posted:

Did you know that chickens have been known to change their sex? It's true, it's called spontaneous sex reversal. Here's an article

http://www.livescience.com/13514-sex-change-chicken-gertie-hen-bertie-cockerel.html

Goons do it too but when they do it is known as mental illness.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Great now I'm craving eggs, thanks a lot op

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Rather Dashing posted:

Great now I'm craving eggs, thanks a lot op

gently caress yeah eggs

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I have a farm/land in Italy and I lived there for a couple years full time. We had chickens and ended up with around 10-12 eggs a day. It loving sucked after a while because we got reeeeally sick of eggs. Then they all got some horrible bacterial infection and started making GBS threads out their own intestines and dying so then we didn't have so many eggs. The end.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Chickens can be quite cruel with their pecking orders :ohdear:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
OP do you mean the poultry is supposed to be free of trolls or the thread is supposed to be free of trolls it's not clear from the title

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

The Mad Archivist posted:

OP do you mean the poultry is supposed to be free of trolls or the thread is supposed to be free of trolls it's not clear from the title

I thinks he meant:

"Trolls, free poultry"

Like, hey guys this shits free

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Luvcow posted:

I thinks he meant:

"Trolls, free poultry"

Like, hey guys this shits free

gently caress; dude I want some free poultry!!!

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

The Mad Archivist posted:

I'll accept arguments from both positions

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Darf posted:

life, uh... finds a way op

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Is there any way to make Turkey not dry when roasting? My mother constantly makes it dry as gently caress during family occasions.

Would parting it before roasting be of any help?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

School Nickname posted:

Is there any way to make Turkey not dry when roasting? My mother constantly makes it dry as gently caress during family occasions.

Yes. That's called spatchcocking! You cut out the backbone and press that baby flat.

If you want to cut it into pieces then that works too but it's not necessary if you spatchcock

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

School Nickname posted:

We roast it in a paper bag. Comes out moist and delicious every time.

http://www.melaniecooks.com/best-thanksgiving-roast-turkey-recipe-in-a-brown-paper-bag-easy-no-basting/2500/

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

School Nickname posted:

coat mine in olive oil before roasting, always had good results

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Brine it, or shove a bunch of herb butter under the skin.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
HEY BUDDY HVE I GOT A COCK FOR U

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

mookface posted:

I hope texaholic is watching this
Rotisserie chop: http://youtu.be/NAQAPAqEpvo

what do you feel about known poultry corpse abuser mookface?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

• Locked thread