Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005
I like the sound of vinyl, especially for recordings from the 80's. CD's from the 80's were horribly transferred and sound thin and terrible. Digital technology sucked until the 90's. They really had vinyl and tape technology down by then, and almost always the vinyl sounds better, crackle and all. All of my tapes from that era sound better than the CD version, so that should tell you how incredibly crappy CD's were. Now when something from that era is remastered it usually gets compressed to hell and sounds like poo poo, so even new CD's of older material suck. You're almost always better off with the vinyl of older recordings.

Vinyl tends to have a warmer sound because you have to roll back some of the highs. High frequency transients need to be tamed because they'll distort when they get onto vinyl. Over-compressed poo poo needs to be tamed for the same reasons. Digital of course doesn't have this problem, and can reproduce whatever. As a result of these physical limitations, vinyl is just plain less loving painful on the ears than digital. Period. It's often literally a different master. At least until this pumping the highs and compressing the poo poo out of everything fad ends, the vinyl versions will probably sound better than the digital equivalent because they will be EQ'd better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SpeedGem posted:

I wouldn't say it is a passing fad, LaserDiscs on ebay or worth more than gold in some cases, and the hd-dvds as well. It's like that episode in cowboy bebop where they struggle to find a betamax in a sunken mall or something.

The star wars laserdisks are valuable because they are the highest resolution copy you can reasonably buy that doesn't have the awful "remastered" stuff added in like the DVDs and blurays do.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

reasonably speaking you could just apply an algorithm to degrade digital music and achieve the same effect that the deficiencies in vinyl create

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

vinyl sales in 1982 were like 20mil but album sales in general have fallen off a cliff since mp3s became a viable medium

to expand on this: not one album released in 2014 has gone platinum. including digital purchases. blame streaming services.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

reasonably speaking you could just apply an algorithm to degrade digital music and achieve the same effect that the deficiencies in vinyl create

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/effects-instruments/vinyl/

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
*listens to warped thrift vinyl on urban outfitters portable turn-table*

"vinyl sounds way worse than digital rofl"

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
alternatively:

listens to warped thrift vinyl on urban outfitters portable turn-table*

"vinyl sounds way better than digital rofl"

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
but really:

*listens to vinyl on turn-table*

*adjusts scarf around pencil neck and ensures deep-v tee reveals sternum bones, farts gas from vegan pizza*

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
People who listen to FLAC and other lossless formats might be worse than people who listen to vinyl, because there's actually an audible difference between vinyl and MP3.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEVNHvy2STU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Anyone have some doubleblind tests that prove audiophiles are full of poo poo?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dj Spinna is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHQ6U-NtO4

e/ scratching with 45's is fiddly and tricky and this man is amazing at it.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
i own all the beastie boys albums on vinyl except for hot sauce committee part 2

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Anyone have some doubleblind tests that prove audiophiles are full of poo poo?

We gathered up a 5 of our audio buddies. We took my "old" Martin Logan SL-3 (not a bad speaker for accurate noise making) and hooked them up with Monster 1000 speaker cables (decent cables according to the audio press). We also rigged up 14 gauge, oxygen free Belden stranded copper wire with a simple PVC jacket. Both were 2 meters long. They were connected to an ABX switch box allowing blind fold testing. Volume levels were set at 75 Db at 1000K Hz. A high quality recording of smooth, trio, easy listening jazz was played (Piano, drums, bass). None of us had heard this group or CD before, therefore eliminating biases. The music was played.

Of the 5 blind folded, only 2 guessed correctly which was the monster cable. (I was not one of them). This was done 7 times in a row! Keeping us blind folded, my brother switched out the Belden wire (are you ready for this) with simple coat hanger wire!

Unknown to me and our 12 audiophile buddies, prior to the ABX blind test, he took apart four coat hangers, reconnectd them and twisted them into a pair of speaker cables. Connections were soldered. He stashed them in a closet within the testing room so we were not privy to what he was up to. This made for a pair of 2 meter cables, the exact length of the other wires. The test was conducted. After 5 tests, none could determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire. Further, when music was played through the coat hanger wire, we were asked if what we heard sounded good to us. All agreed that what was heard sounded excellent, however, when A-B tests occured, it was impossible to determine which sounded best the majority of the time and which wire was in use.

Needless to say, after the blind folds came off and we saw what my brother did, we learned he was right...most of what manufactures have to say about their products is pure hype. It seems the more they charge, the more hyped it is.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/speakers-when-is-good-enough-enough.2512/page-2#post-15412

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
monster cable in particular is some over hype poo poo

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
People don't like accurate sound. They like sound that has been hosed with like LP "warmness", hosed by some stupid eq settings or in the more modern variant hosed by branded eq settings (beats dre).
That is why every audio/video receiver has a ton of DSP settings like "concert hall" or "cinema" that actively try to distort your sound, because most people like that.
Makes sense there are people who prefer their audio predistorted on the medium.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
*pays $30 for a single album on vinyl*

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I only listen to music through musical tooth brushes

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
*doesn't spend 60 dollars on cabling but I bought a tube-amp*

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

NihilismNow posted:

People don't like accurate sound. They like sound that has been hosed with like LP "warmness", hosed by some stupid eq settings or in the more modern variant hosed by branded eq settings (beats dre).
That is why every audio/video receiver has a ton of DSP settings like "concert hall" or "cinema" that actively try to distort your sound, because most people like that.

i like my music so undistorted by physics that i just read the sheet music and lyrics

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
i literally bought this today in honor of this thread

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Here's Kid Koala doing cool stuff with vinyl records:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia5oK4PCCoM&t=20s

Vinyl is cool. That's all I got.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to post increasingly large amounts of money that I've spent on turntable Needles and Cartridges, and we'll see where that goes.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
$90 audio-technica cartridge

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCNjtk2fO6E

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
$300 technics SL semi-auto direct drive turntable

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
btw this works astoundingly well on old records that need a deep clean

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I prefer vinyl because I'm too stupid to understand what an equalizer does.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
$150 'Dragonfly' DAC/Amp

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I prefer polyethylene.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

NihilismNow posted:

I got some earbuds on sale on amazon once, it was a brand I had used before that I liked for their accuracy. Well when the buds arrived I plugged them into my Zen and took a walk around campus to get a feel for them. They sounded mostly okay, not as good as i remebered the last pair but not awful. One thing I noticed though was whenever I tried to listen to some of my classical stuff the cellos and contrabasses were overpowering. Well I got home and did some Googling and it turns out that someone had been making some cheap knockoffs and enhanced bass was one of the signs because it helped mask the quality. There was a couple other physical differences that matched up with the knockoffs so I got a refund and the seller booted from amazon. They ended up physically falling apart before the other pair I ordered showed up.

That's my enhanced bass story, they ended up in the trash where they belong.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I listen to music on PC speakers I found in a box

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I use my prosumer music production speakers/interface. if ti's good enough for recording it's good enough for listening.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

vinyl is a dead medium you hipster nerds

*goes back to listening to music on his iphone 6*

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dopesmoker sounds better on vinyl than on CD and having to change sides 3 times is more in line with how Sleep actually played the song live when I saw then in January.

Plus they made the discs look like hashish and the album art is baller.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I have a pretty serious system and I think both things sound good. Digital is more accurate though, sorry. If that hurts your ears or "fatigues" you then your setup is not good, accuracy should instead make you look around the room like "what the hell was that noise? Oh wait, that was in the recording. Woooooah :aaa:"

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

sometimes I think about spending more than a few hundred bucks on a sound system but then I remember I'm almost 35 years old and have significant higher frequency hearing loss and pretty bad tinnitus in one ear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
vinyls are ok but if you're not using them with modern non destructive laser turntables you're retarded

• Locked thread