Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
vinyls are ok but if you're not using them with modern non destructive laser turntables you're retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Awhile ago someone linked videos of this guy's YouTube channel who had an incredibly insane house-shaking bass system, he did videos about how in music in various TV shows there was stuff that could only be heard/enjoyed with one of these insane house-shaking bass systems, and I think he eventually killed himself.

I wish I could find those videos, they're so over-the-top what this guy did.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I think I saw that, if it's the one I'm thinking of he built a bunch of Tuba HTs which are some of the most incredible subwoofers around for the money. A lot of Blu-ray movies have infrasound in their LFE tracks and he did cause some damage to his house.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Torka posted:

sometimes I think about spending more than a few hundred bucks on a sound system but then I remember I'm almost 35 years old and have significant higher frequency hearing loss and pretty bad tinnitus in one ear

hosed up if true

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Ha ha poor people crying about how much LPs cost.

"Wah I can't afford something so it must be bad!"

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
take it to the LP subforum

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Zeno-25 posted:

Psssssssssskt pop pop pop pop krrrrrssssh yea vinyl sounds great

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ultimateforce posted:

Stupid people with too much money

"Something is expensive, it must be the best!"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Lamebot posted:

vinyls are ok but if you're not using them with modern non destructive laser turntables you're retarded

you mean a cd player?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

old analog equipment is more natural, and therefore, much better.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

ultimateforce posted:

So you are the demographic I am looking for selling old vacuum tubes at 300 dollars a pop. It is kind of funny, how people get into bidding wars over these things.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I keep seeing this Facebook ad for a company that makes $1000 interconnect cables and other silly poo poo. The comments are of course a nonstop slapfight and the "CEO" just cannot stay out of it. His latest response was that they'd have a booth at some upcoming trade show with a system set up with an A/B switch so you can hear the difference in *musicality and clarity* that only his magic power cables can provide. He starts rattling off all this impressive sounding equipment in the test setup and then ends with "this is all fed into a tube headphone amp" :wtc:

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

Skeleton Ape posted:

I keep seeing this Facebook ad for a company that makes $1000 interconnect cables and other silly poo poo. The comments are of course a nonstop slapfight and the "CEO" just cannot stay out of it. His latest response was that they'd have a booth at some upcoming trade show with a system set up with an A/B switch so you can hear the difference in *musicality and clarity* that only his magic power cables can provide. He starts rattling off all this impressive sounding equipment in the test setup and then ends with "this is all fed into a tube headphone amp" :wtc:

BEANIE BABIES ARE A SOUND INVESTMENT

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
When I first started playing guitar I bought those lovely Horizon guitar cables, and each one lasted about a month before they broke at the joints. Then I bought a 10-foot long $60 guitar cable (not Monster). And I love it... specifically because it has lasted me at least a decade of almost daily use by now. There was no difference in sound quality as far as I could tell.

So yeah, if you're going to buy expensive cables, do it because they'll last, not because you believe the snake oil salesmen who will tell you they sound better. They don't.

Also lol at people who talk about records outputting up to 60kHz. Good luck finding a pair of speakers that:

A) Output sound higher than 20kHz
B) Also sound good from 20Hz-20kHZ
c) Don't cost thousands per speaker

Oh and I hope you're about 12 years old or younger, otherwise anything over about 16kHz is going to be lost on you anyway.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

hemophilia posted:

old analog equipment is more natural, and therefore, much better.

making GBS threads on the ground is more natural than making GBS threads in a toilet, and therefore, much better.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Torka posted:

making GBS threads on the ground is more natural than making GBS threads in a toilet, and therefore, much better.

god i just loving love getting hookworm

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Skeleton Ape posted:

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables/

There were a bunch of audiophile goons who got pissed when this story hit and started writing essays on how people need to stop posting this because there's actually a lot of real and important differences for autistic reasons

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

When I first started playing guitar I bought those lovely Horizon guitar cables, and each one lasted about a month before they broke at the joints. Then I bought a 10-foot long $60 guitar cable (not Monster). And I love it... specifically because it has lasted me at least a decade of almost daily use by now. There was no difference in sound quality as far as I could tell.

So yeah, if you're going to buy expensive cables, do it because they'll last, not because you believe the snake oil salesmen who will tell you they sound better. They don't.

Also lol at people who talk about records outputting up to 60kHz. Good luck finding a pair of speakers that:

A) Output sound higher than 20kHz
B) Also sound good from 20Hz-20kHZ
c) Don't cost thousands per speaker

Oh and I hope you're about 12 years old or younger, otherwise anything over about 16kHz is going to be lost on you anyway.

Yeah instrument cables are a different story, if it's going to be used and abused it's worth it to spend a little extra for some toughness. Something you throw behind your receiver that's never going to move for years, though :anime:

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables/

There were a bunch of audiophile goons who got pissed when this story hit and started writing essays on how people need to stop posting this because there's actually a lot of real and important differences for autistic reasons

The even funnier thing is that Monster is cheap compared to true "audiophile" cables.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I posted this while listening to a song at MP3 that is 320kbps

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
brb got to flip the record

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Vinyl is good and cool when the actual mastering is better than the CD equivalents, which seems to be every new release because muh Loudness Wars, etc.

But also poo poo like David Bowie who sounds notoriously terrible on CD unless you get the ancient RCA masters (but the 40th anniversary remasters are OK, mostly)

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also there is loads of old random poo poo that just is unavailable on MP3 or CD.

Digging is part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

A well produced album is a well produced album, and records are cool.

MrQwerty posted:

Dopesmoker sounds better on vinyl than on CD and having to change sides 3 times is more in line with how Sleep actually played the song live when I saw then in January.

Plus they made the discs look like hashish and the album art is baller.

Also this is true

• Locked thread