Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Dead Rising 3 is the third full installment in the Dead Rising series, developed by Capcom Vancouver and released in November of 2013 as a launch title for the Xbox One. While very similar to the other Dead Rising titles, the visual style has been subdued and some game mechanics have been changed to make the game feel very "next gen". Still, it's a fun game to play and it continues the series' crazy Capcom story.

As a launch title, effort was made so that Dead Rising 3 would utilize the extra features that the Xbox One had available. The game has some Kinect functionality, which thankfully are mostly novel gimmicks and are never mandatory. It also has the best Smartglass integration that I've seen so far. The Smartglass companion includes simple things like a map and character bios, but also includes exclusive side missions and some much more interesting features. The game also has 4 DLC campaigns to further flesh out the events of Dead Rising 3. I will be doing my best to show all this content at some point during the LP.

Some thread guidelines
  • DON'T post spoilers of the story or any future content. It's a goofy story, but people should be able to experience it for themselves.
  • DON'T start any console warrior bullshit. We all know the Xbone has issues, but this isn't the place to talk about it UNLESS it's in the context of the game itself.
  • DO watch the backstory video or the previous games' LPs I'll be posting in the Links section. This game will have callbacks to characters, details, or events from the previous games.
  • DO tell me what you want to see. Weapon use, clothing options, different strategies or approaches. I'm never too far ahead in my recording so make your requests!

Videos
Video 00 - Dead Rising and The Story So Far................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 01 - Los Perdidos..................................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 02 - A Little Bit Of Everything................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 03 - Implausible Vehicles......................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video XX - Zombies Don't Like Ramps...........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 04 - Cell Phones, Chainsaws, and Tarot Cards....[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 05 - Exploring Ingleton..........................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 06 - The Graveyard................................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 07 - DLC - Chaos Rising Part 1.............................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 08 - DLC - Chaos Rising Part 2.............................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 09 - DLC - Chaos Rising Part 3.............................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video XX - The Thrasher's Secret Weapon....................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 10 - Neighbors, Nerds, and Traffic Wizards........[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 11 - Boys Blowing Up My Phone..........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 12 - The Clothes Make The Man..........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 13 - First Date Jitters............................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 14 - Weird and Dangerous Fixations....................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 15 - Exploring South Almuda................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 16 - Police Brutality...............................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 17 - DLC - Fallen Angel Part 1..............................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 18 - DLC - Fallen Angel Part 2..............................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 19 - DLC - Fallen Angel Part 3..............................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 20 - Unethical Business Practices.......................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 21 - A Glutton For Punishment.............................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 22 - When A Plan Comes Together......................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 23 - The Price of Gas These Days........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 24 - DLC - Operation Broken Eagle Part 1............[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 25 - DLC - Operation Broken Eagle Part 2............[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 26 - Succulent Wieners.........................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 27 - I Want To Believe...........................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 28 - Exploring Central City....................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 29 - Let This Be A Normal Field Trip....................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video XX - A Guided Museum Tour................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 30 - Brought To You By Carl's Jr...........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 31 - Deadbeats and Divas.....................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 32 - The Other Plot Thickens................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video XX - Combo Food Mixology..................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 33 - Breaking And Entering...................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 34 - Nick And The No Good, Very Bad Day..........[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 35 - Suckerpunch 2...............................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 36 - Reunion And Retrospection..........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 37 - Exploring Sunset Hills...................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 38 - The Ultimate Solution...................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video XX - Gaining Experience and Levelling Up..........[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 39 - Damsels In Distress......................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 40 - Daddy Issues.................................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 41 - Alternate Endings..........................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 42 - DLC - The Last Agent Part 1.........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 43 - DLC - The Last Agent Part 2.........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 44 - DLC - The Last Agent Part 3.........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video 45 - DLC - The Last Agent Part 4.........................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video XX - Things I Missed............................................[YouTube | Polsy]
Video XX - Boss Fights and Cutscenes.........................[YouTube | Polsy]

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Related Links

*Reserved for other stuff maybe*

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I remember watching the E3 presentation where they were making a big deal about the tactical handgun, the Kinect gimmicks and the "scarier and more threatening" zombies, and then there was some producer who went on about how they're targeting the Call of Duty audience and all that nonsense. I'm glad the game eventually turned out as good and ridiculous as it is, and it ended up being one of my main reasons for buying an Xbone. (The other one was Killer Instinct, which is much better than it has any right to be and still my favorite game on the new consoles despite some technical issues)

The opening section in the tunnels is probably the worst way they could start the game as far as first impressions go, though, fortunately it's not very long and things get a lot better soon enough. That whole part is just so ugly and serious and boring, and the first decent weapon they give you is the tactical handgun. :geno:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Liking the way this is shaping out to be; but what the heck was the deal with the wasps? Could zombies only be made through wasps? Or through zombie-biting? Or both?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Samovar posted:

Liking the way this is shaping out to be; but what the heck was the deal with the wasps? Could zombies only be made through wasps? Or through zombie-biting? Or both?

Zombie-biting definitively is a way to get infected: Go look at the DR2 playthrough, shortly after the tutorial they use a bite-mark as a reason to go 'This person is infected!'

Heck, 'the deal with the wasps' is meant to be a twist in every game, it seems, and I'm not about to spoil it for those who've not played DR2

EDIT: Oh, and 'what I want to see' is just going to be weapon variety.
There's some weapons I'd specifically want you to avoid, but mentioning them would be somewhat spoilery, and if you just try to use a lot of weapons you'd not be using the 'boring' weapons for long.

aerion111 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 26, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

aerion111 posted:

Zombie-biting definitively is a way to get infected: Go look at the DR2 playthrough, shortly after the tutorial they use a bite-mark as a reason to go 'This person is infected!'

Heck, 'the deal with the wasps' is meant to be a twist in every game, it seems, and I'm not about to spoil it for those who've not played DR2

It's only a twist in DR1, it's known about in-universe by the time DR2 rolls around, and Zombie outbreaks are just another event, like a tornado or a hurricane.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Judge Tesla posted:

It's only a twist in DR1, it's known about in-universe by the time DR2 rolls around, and Zombie outbreaks are just another event, like a tornado or a hurricane.

I skipped DR1, and I felt like it was meant to be a twist in DR2. I guess not.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

aerion111 posted:

I skipped DR1, and I felt like it was meant to be a twist in DR2. I guess not.

Yeah, dude, it's the entire reason Frank West's still alive. Isabella McGuyver'd some stuff for him using the carrier wasps to make sure he doesn't zombie. And it was a gameplay mechanic in the earlier two games as well (kill a wasp, zombies die).

But yeah, I was always somewhat interested in this game, but I don't have the money to justify an Xbone. So this thread is nice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samovar posted:

The initial zombie plague was started by the bees, and the zombies are kind of controlled by the bees. I forget the specifics but the backstory given in DR1 is that they were trying to get cows to breed rapidly and be immune to disease, or something like that, and wound up with zombie bees.

Inriri
Apr 25, 2014
Definitely one of my favorite "next-gen" games, especially when you unlock a couple of wonderful weapons. As an aside, I had gotten this game two days after my ex ended our 6 year relationship for bullshit reasons, and it was very amusing to see our names among the first people that are scripted to die.

Will you be doing multiplayer for the ridiculous dlc?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

aerion111 posted:

EDIT: Oh, and 'what I want to see' is just going to be weapon variety.
There's some weapons I'd specifically want you to avoid, but mentioning them would be somewhat spoilery, and if you just try to use a lot of weapons you'd not be using the 'boring' weapons for long.

Yeah I realized the requests thing isn't going to work until I start collecting and showing off stuff. I might have to start taking PMs or emails so people who know the game can make more specific requests for upcoming things.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Yes, Southwest Airlines is a real thing.

And the whole illegal zombie thing is abjectly hilarious. It seems like the game mostly just LOOKS darker while the story behind it is still as doofy as ever.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

citybeatnik posted:

Yes, Southwest Airlines is a real thing.

And the whole illegal zombie thing is abjectly hilarious. It seems like the game mostly just LOOKS darker while the story behind it is still as doofy as ever.

If you want a "serious" zombie game, Dead Island is still out there, trying it's best, but again, it just ends up being hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

If you want a "serious" zombie game
The Walking Dead?

Though Season 2 fell prey to forced melodrama too.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Judge Tesla posted:

If you want a "serious" zombie game, Dead Island is still out there, trying it's best, but again, it just ends up being hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Why on earth would anyone want a serious zombie game?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Endorph posted:

The initial zombie plague was started by the bees, and the zombies are kind of controlled by the bees. I forget the specifics but the backstory given in DR1 is that they were trying to get cows to breed rapidly and be immune to disease, or something like that, and wound up with zombie bees.

Capcom writing, ladies and gentlemen.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
I got this last December, about a week before Christmas, and ended up marathoning the entire game in one night.

But I'd just gotten out of the emergency room with a shattered (apparently not just fractured, since they had to slice it open in order to put the pieces and shards of bone back in place before they sewed it back up) cheekbone/upper jawbone.

I sure felt like a zombie when I stumbled into the ER, which is fitting. I'd lost so much blood (it was broken six days before I got it looked at) that I couldn't even sit up straight. Blood loss combined with the painkillers they gave me means I don't remember ANYTHING from the game, other than one of the special weapons you get for killing a boss.

And the only reason I remember that particular thing is because when I saw what it looked like up close, I distinctly remember struggling not to burst out laughing at how awesomely ridiculous it was. I was terrified I'd rip the stitches if I did.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say there's special boss weapons, right? They've been in all the other games.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

OH NO MAN posted:

...and then there was some producer who went on about how they're targeting the Call of Duty audience and all that nonsense...

I'm starting to think this has become a vague, videogame related platitude, where neither the player nor the audience really understands what it is supposed to mean.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I had a vague interest in Dead Rising 3, but the previous Dead Risings were never my thing despite spending several hours on each trying to get into it. Definitely not enough interest to warrant getting a 'Bone for it, so I'm glad I'll be able to see this game this way. :toot:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I am amazed at how many zombies they can put on screen. I wonder what fancy tricks they did, since it feels like the game should lag with all those actors on screen.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr. Highway posted:

I'm starting to think this has become a vague, videogame related platitude, where neither the player nor the audience really understands what it is supposed to mean.

I think it mostly translates into 'God I hope we make that much money.'

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Breaking tables with the OP. For shame, frenzy. For shame.

As much as I love me some stupid rear end dead rising fun, I'd heard some negative things about it compared to the other two. But I suppose this'll let me see if it's ever worth messing with in the future.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Mr. Highway posted:

Seriously whenever I read this I think "But CoD is like 10minutes of shootmans whenever you want, who cares?"

Anyway sorry, really looking forward to this because I want to play it but I suck at the Dead Rising series so much, time limits and me don't go well together.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I was excited when I heard that you didn't need workbenches anymore in Dead Rising 3. It was seldom worth lugging around one or more two handed weapons to construct the paddlesaw, never mind that the smallest scratch from a zombie (or looking at your watch) caused you to drop the two-handed weapon.

Looking forward to this!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Nice! Never played any of the DR games cause I don't own any consoles, but I digged watching the Lps you linked back when they were live. Interested to see what DR3 is all about, because everything I heard about it amounts to being gritty and sort of a cheap try to draw in the CoD games audience.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Tin Tim posted:

Nice! Never played any of the DR games cause I don't own any consoles, but I digged watching the Lps you linked back when they were live. Interested to see what DR3 is all about, because everything I heard about it amounts to being gritty and sort of a cheap try to draw in the CoD games audience.
Well for anyone interested, Dead Rising 3 is on PC and it works mostly well enough, and it comes pre-packaged with most of the DLC for the game for free. But yeah, this game only has a thin layer of grit on top of the usual Dead Rising goofiness. The goofiness is still there and the only thing that changed was they just made everything in the game easier (though take that how you will).

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Drakenel posted:

Breaking tables with the OP. For shame, frenzy. For shame.

drat, I thought I was close enough that no one would notice. I'll resize it when I get home from work. 720 pixels wide is the recommended right?

Niggurath posted:

Well for anyone interested, Dead Rising 3 is on PC and it works mostly well enough, and it comes pre-packaged with most of the DLC for the game for free. But yeah, this game only has a thin layer of grit on top of the usual Dead Rising goofiness. The goofiness is still there and the only thing that changed was they just made everything in the game easier (though take that how you will).

Huh I didn't know about the PC release. That'd make it platform exclusive for less than a year which is kinda impressive. Any idea if you can do the smartglass stuff with the PC version? Not really sure how it'd work though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe the super-silly arcade mode is still XBone exclusive (unfortunately it's kinda spoiler-y, so don't look into it too much if you care about that stuff), but it's a really fun time.

EDIT: VV Eh, the SmartGlass stuff is fine, but the app was super-fiddly for the first couple of weeks.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 28, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Huh I didn't know about the PC release. That'd make it platform exclusive for less than a year which is kinda impressive. Any idea if you can do the smartglass stuff with the PC version? Not really sure how it'd work though.
From what I've read, you can't and that was pretty annoying as I kept playing through the game expecting the thing I saw at the end of the trailer....and never got it.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Niggurath posted:

Well seeing as there is an autosave feature... DR2 was grouchy like that.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Nice, I watched your Condemned 2 and Farcry 3 LPs, and really enjoyed your style. Thanks for doing this one!

SWORDFISHHH
Apr 1, 2010
I had a lot of fun doing commentary on the first few videos! These kinds of games stress me out to play, I'm glad I can still experience it through your LP.

silentbrains
Mar 18, 2009

Niggurath posted:

But yeah, this game only has a thin layer of grit on top of the usual Dead Rising goofiness.

I remember marketing(?) initially pushing the grit angle and then pretty quickly switching gears after negative fan reaction. Glad to see that didn't manifest in the actual game. Curious to see what happens when it doesn't have the dissonance of an environment that's a brightly lit consumers' haven.

Still, the flashlight taped to the gun, over the frame, slide and the ejection port. That's, uh, that's kinda weird. (though not that weird compared to everything else in the DR universe, I guess)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Great recap! I never played DR2 and it was good seeing the DR2 developers still had a chip on their shoulders.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Godspeed, OP :patriot:

silentbrains posted:

I remember marketing(?) initially pushing the grit angle and then pretty quickly switching gears after negative fan reaction. Glad to see that didn't manifest in the actual game. Curious to see what happens when it doesn't have the dissonance of an environment that's a brightly lit consumers' haven.

Still, the flashlight taped to the gun, over the frame, slide and the ejection port. That's, uh, that's kinda weird. (though not that weird compared to everything else in the DR universe, I guess)

It isn't as colorful in a visual sense but you can still put together some pretty ridiculous weapons so some of the same feeling is retained. It is mostly a visual difference really, as well as changing the way you make the weapons.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
One request I make is that you do as many bossfights as you can in drag.

Also you need to wear a different outfit for every cutscene.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
I noticed thread and i have some questions: Does this one follow the plot points introduced in the DR2 games, who the main character and how many endings does this have?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Samovar posted:

Capcom writing, ladies and gentlemen.

I actually think the original Dead Rising has a pretty darn good script. It's very Romero, complete with a somewhat in-your-face social commentary message and the zombies being metaphorical. It is and was topical, the imagery worked, and it has a number of really rather emotional scenes. I really like the main villains' death scene and the ending sequence has a really cool quote from an obscure English poem to boot.

It's...it's pretty good, is what I'm saying.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I actually think the original Dead Rising has a pretty darn good script. It's very Romero, complete with a somewhat in-your-face social commentary message and the zombies being metaphorical. It is and was topical, the imagery worked, and it has a number of really rather emotional scenes. I really like the main villains' death scene and the ending sequence has a really cool quote from an obscure English poem to boot.

It's...it's pretty good, is what I'm saying.

Also the villain had a reason that was understandable reason why he did what he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I love the DR series so I'm definitely on board for this one. Saw that DR3 on the PC has some major teething issues so I've been holding back from touching it. This LP might change that though cause I do so love me some saw-hammers.

• Locked thread