Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

whowhatwhere posted:

Fairly certain the actual devs for DR2/3 are Canadian and just mimicking the DR1 style.

Yeah, the developers are still Blue Castle aka Capcom Vancouver so any and all Japanese-style fanservice is done to copy the style of the original game and also because they work for Capcom and want to incorporate that certain "Capcom Style" in their game. I don't think anybody from Capcom's head office in Japan was breathing down their necks to add the Nazi dominanimetrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I thought is was just low-cut, but no, that lady's outfit is literally a sexy nazi halloween costume. Or sexy commissar. I don't know.

I was half expecting the General Evil to do a double take when he saw her standing at his side and say "Jesus Christ, woman! What are you wearing? We're on national television for God's sake!"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, the developers are still Blue Castle aka Capcom Vancouver so any and all Japanese-style fanservice is done to copy the style of the original game and also because they work for Capcom and want to incorporate that certain "Capcom Style" in their game. I don't think anybody from Capcom's head office in Japan was breathing down their necks to add the Nazi dominanimetrix.
On the other hand, the idea they might include something in most capcom games and had no-one tell them that 'no dude that ain't cool' seems perfectly possible. There's not that many game companies that make a legit effort to be inclusive.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
There 2 mistakes in Video 0: in Case Zero the Zombrex lasted only 6 hours instead of 12 and the story the government admits is true is the Santa Cabeza one but they deny involvement in Willamette.

Also will you show some of the DLC eventually?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Seems like the zombrex gets better each game, 6 hours at case zero, 12 in 2's main story, and I think it's 24 now?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Nalesh posted:

Seems like the zombrex gets better each game, 6 hours at case zero, 12 in 2's main story, and I think it's 24 now?

No, it was twelve hours in case zero and twenty four in 2. It stayed the same in 3.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009
Oh, yay... because having to search around for zombrex was so much fun in the previous game.:suicide:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

MoadDib posted:

Oh, yay... because having to search around for zombrex was so much fun in the previous game.:suicide:

To be fair, in 2, you'd get at least 1 side mission a day where the reward would be some Zombrex, the Paramedic you can find always gives you some as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
That, and once you knew where the Zombrex was hidden it was just a matter of going around to stockpile it. And several survivors and psychos give you enough to beat the game. I think you only need like three or four and you'll get that much just from saving people or through the story. Hell the very first Zombrex you get is just down the hall in the starting mall and they send you there to get it.

MoadDib
Apr 4, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

To be fair, in 2, you'd get at least 1 side mission a day where the reward would be some Zombrex, the Paramedic you can find always gives you some as well.

True, which if you knew which ones gave you that, you could ensure that you did those missions and they'd at least give you enough to keep your daughter alive, but of course she wasn't the only survivor that needed it. God I hated zombrex dudebro :ssj:, he was a useless drain on resources with an annoying personality as well; I let him die on nearly every playthrough.

My main point though is that on early playthroughs, it can be difficult to have enough on hand at the specified times before you learn where to get more, and you'll just be forced to spend the ridiculous amounts that the pawn shops charge, which means less time doing whatever you want, and more time spent farming up cash (yes that's easy too once you know the tricks but we're talking about the first time or 2 that you play).
Once you know all the tricks to getting zombrex, it still remains a slight annoyance because it becomes one more thing that you must return to the saferoom for during a 1 hour window because apparently no one can be trusted to jab themselves with a self-injecting syringe.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

They got rid of that mechanic funnily enough in DR 2 Off the Record, Frank just injects himself with Zonbrex no matter where he is, provided you have it of course.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

To be fair, Katey would probably only want her father to be dealing with her regular life-or-death crises.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Rather Watch Them posted:

To be fair, Katey would probably only want her father to be dealing with her regular life-or-death crises.

Not to mention that she was 7 years old.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

I don't suppose you could post regular YouTube links next to the polsy ones? My phone likes to crash when going to polsy because reasons.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Polyseme posted:

I don't suppose you could post regular YouTube links next to the polsy ones? My phone likes to crash when going to polsy because reasons.

Yeah, I can do that. I don't like posting straight to YouTube, but if people can't watch it on Polsy then I really should.
edit: Added YouTube links in the OP. I'll work on the formatting later.

Also, some bad news. Basically I screwed up the recording for the next video, accidentally using my netbook microphone instead of my Blue Snowflake. I can default to the Callgraph Skype audio, but that has it's own pretty lovely encoding. I'd rather re-record so it doesn't sound like total poo poo, but that means a little break (since Cletus is going to be unreachable due to WoW) and also that my co-commentators won't be blind for the video. Luckily we only recorded the one video instead of 3 at a time, but it's really annoying and I'm kinda pissed about it. Anyways, just wanted to give a heads up to why the next one may take a while and why the tone may be slightly off.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 11, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Kal-L posted:

I kinda like that Nick is not a bad-rear end like Frank "I've covered wars" West or Chuck "I drive chainsaw motorcycles through hoops on fire" Greene. He's just a regular dude that is good at fixing vehicles.

With a numerical tat. Not saying just saying.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
You mean the numerical tat on his neck that is there, plain to see in EVERY.SINGLE.CUTSCENE?

Nah, whatever, it's not like it will have plot relevance or anything.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Look, DR may be by the numbers in some ways (all the main characters are fairly simple archetypes) but the story is almost never really about them anyway, so much as it is about the survivors, psychos and villains. And if we hadn't had the recap we probs wouldn't even pay that much attention to the tattoo.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Maybe he's just a big Tom Brady fan?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Maybe he's just a big Tom Brady fan?

The plot twist is these aren't zombies, they're all just diehard Jets fans.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Unknown Quantity posted:

The plot twist is these aren't zombies, they're all just diehard Jets fans.

And nothing of value was lost :v:

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
All i will say that isn`t spoiler is don`t trust every friendly person we might see, they have hidden objectives in this town but that's the truth in every Dead Rising.

This game has a character i really hate but i won't say anything until the last video is posted since i don't want to spoil something huge.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Having problems dragging the crew together, eh.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Having problems dragging the crew together, eh.

Pretty much. We're getting there though.

Also, have a look at this weird poo poo that happened while I was recording the other day: http://youtu.be/9-I2DlHVJtM

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Well that sure is special. I know just enough about programming to have an idea why it is happening but wow...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Also, have a look at this weird poo poo that happened while I was recording the other day: http://youtu.be/9-I2DlHVJtM
I'm going to finish this game before you guys do another episode at this rate :colbert:

Thankfully my PC runs the inferior PC port alright.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I wanna hit that garbage ball with a rocket launcher.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Is... Is that zombie ball killable? Feels like there needs some murder happening with that one.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Zain posted:

Is... Is that zombie ball killable? Feels like there needs some murder happening with that one.

I think they are already dead (again).

SWORDFISHHH
Apr 1, 2010

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I'll have to update my Zombie Plan to include a slight incline.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SWORDFISHHH posted:

I'll have to update my Zombie Plan to include a slight incline.
My plan for zombies has always just been; promise a lot of things, then run and get bitten. That way I don't have to worry about doing it.

Also I don't think being a protagonist in those things is nice. What do they do when they run out of toilet paper?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

What do they do when they run out of toilet paper?

Start using napkins and books?
We've got a lot of paper around.
Heck, use cardboard, just soften it with water, turn it into mache(spelling probably incorrect), and let dry.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

aerion111 posted:

Start using napkins and books?
We've got a lot of paper around.
Heck, use cardboard, just soften it with water, turn it into mache(spelling probably incorrect), and let dry.

Trust me when I say that you can wipe your rear end with just about anything if you try hard and believe in yourself.

Also there will be an update tonight as soon as I get home from work.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Back in college there was a two week period where I couldn't afford toilet paper. The one and only time I was thankful for junk mail.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:FINALLY AN UPDATE:siren:

Video 04 - Cell Phones, Chainsaws, and Tarot Cards [YouTube]

We get into some side missions and some of the extra features of the game.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 6, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
It's_happening.gif

I'm glad this is back. I tried playing the game at a friend's house, got to the part where you left off last update (after screaming bloody murder at the screen because I couldn't get past the god drat bikers) and just... stopped playing.

I think I'm firmly in the "love to see it being played, don't actually like to play it" camp for this game. v:shobon:v

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

Also I don't think being a protagonist in those things is nice. What do they do when they run out of toilet paper?

Pile o'rags, wash 'em between uses would be my guess. Lots of cloth around for quite a while after the apocolypse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was surprised how easy the Psycho fights were in this game compared to DR2. In that game most of them would kick your rear end pretty hard until you figured out what combo weapons did the most damage against them.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Baring a late game story event in Dead Rising 2, Zombies were never much of a threat, mostly nuisances compared to human enemies like the rear end in a top hat cultists from DR1 who'd suicide bomb you, and the Looters in DR2, Psycho's being bosses ran the gauntlet from easy to annoyingly hard.

Zombies themselves, aren't anything dangerous, they have fairly small aggro radius's, are easily killed, and are slow, however some zombies can move faster than others, these ones do a shuffling jog after you and 9 times out of 10, these are the assholes who'll grab you unexpectedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zombies are a lot more annoying in DR3, partly based on the increased numbers, but also because it just seems like they are programmed to grab you more often. They're a little more aggressive than in DR2.

• Locked thread