Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I'd like it a lot more if he wasn't eating during every other phone call, which is totally loving gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I am having a hard time articulating the differences in how the scheduling and game pacing works in DR1 and 2, compared to DR3, but while I love the first two games, I don't like the changes they made. In the first two games the world had a persistent feel as things would occur with or without you. Now it progresses mostly based on the player. There are some "wait for x time" bits, but the start of those are based on the player too. There's 7 days you are given to beat the game but you can beat then game in around 3 in game days.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

I am having a hard time articulating the differences in how the scheduling and game pacing works in DR1 and 2, compared to DR3, but while I love the first two games, I don't like the changes they made. In the first two games the world had a persistent feel as things would occur with or without you. Now it progresses mostly based on the player. There are some "wait for x time" bits, but the start of those are based on the player too. There's 7 days you are given to beat the game but you can beat then game in around 3 in game days.

Hence why there's a difficulty specifically for that feel of the first two games?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Gaz-L posted:

Hence why there's a difficulty specifically for that feel of the first two games?

Hrm, I did not try that. Not entirely sure why. Honestly, I do specifically recall after a short period of time, not really wanting to invest too much into the game, so making it harder was the last thing I wanted.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Jade Star posted:

Really gently caress everyone so far. I feel like DR3 has done a very bad job of giving its characters interesting personalities and real characterization. I wish we could kill phone guy, co op player #2 guy is a red neck trucker guy that seems like a dumb hic. Player character seems too much of a cutscene pussy, dazed and confused for what the PC actually does in game. The army buddy seems like a real bitch too, oh my long time friend got bit, well gently caress you dude I'm out of here, do everything on your own. The garage woman at least seems to have her head on straight. She's not the PC so she's not kicking rear end, but at least shes written with situational awareness and comes up with loving plans of action.

You're definitely not wrong about this. I really do think they were trying to break the mould of the tough, grizzled protagonist, but what you end up with is a wimpy kid with Nico Bellic cutscene syndrome. There are a couple characters we'll meet later who can be described as "competent" but they're pretty much intended to be portrayed as a foil to Nick.

Gaz-L posted:

JossiRossi posted:

Hrm, I did not try that. Not entirely sure why. Honestly, I do specifically recall after a short period of time, not really wanting to invest too much into the game, so making it harder was the last thing I wanted.

This may be that I only played Nightmare mode after maxing out the character, but I never found it that much harder. The time moves a whole bunch faster and more of it is at night, but apart from that it's the same game. If you ignore most of the side missions, you still have more than enough time to beat it. In my opinion it still doesn't feel like the older Dead Rising, there's really nothing like "Oh poo poo, I have four half-dead people following me and I need to get back to the safe house in two minutes!"

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The Ultimate Grim Reaper is great for leveling up in a hurry. It's so easy to get your killstreak really high which greatly increases the PP you get per zombie kill.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
One really cool thing about the grim reaper you guys missed. You actually CAN reload it.

Every time you do a regular (non heavy) kill with it, Ammo goes up by one.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I get what everyone is saying about Nick is a wimp and I kind of agree... then again, Nick is seventeen years old. Frank West and Chuck Greene are both twice his age. When DR2 starts, Chuck Greene has had to get Zombrex for Katie every day for four years. Frank West has covered wars. Nick is legally a kid who works at a garage.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Did not know Nick was supposed to be 17. That didn't really come across to me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah there's a bunch of characters in the Dead Rising series that don't look their age, particularly Blue Castle/Capcom Vancouver's characters from Dead Rising 2 and 3. Chuck Greene is supposed to be 29 but he looks about 35+ in Dead Rising 2 (but I guess some late 20's people do tend to look way older than their age), and some of the NPCs don't appear to match their age either.

Frank West always looks like the middle-aged guy that he is though.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah there's a bunch of characters in the Dead Rising series that don't look their age, particularly Blue Castle/Capcom Vancouver's characters from Dead Rising 2 and 3. Chuck Greene is supposed to be 29 but he looks about 35+ in Dead Rising 2 (but I guess some late 20's people do tend to look way older than their age), and some of the NPCs don't appear to match their age either.

Frank West always looks like the middle-aged guy that he is though.

Actually I believe he's 29 in Case Zero, DR2 takes place 2 years later, so he's 30-31 and roughly looks his age. A lot of the reason why chars don't look their age is due to the limitations of being able to smooth textures over a character that constantly moves, not to mention might have multiple facial expressions. I agree that Nick looks older than 17 (and sounds older too, a younger VA might have helped his characterization)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I get what everyone is saying about Nick is a wimp and I kind of agree... then again, Nick is seventeen years old. Frank West and Chuck Greene are both twice his age. When DR2 starts, Chuck Greene has had to get Zombrex for Katie every day for four years. Frank West has covered wars. Nick is legally a kid who works at a garage.

Wow, that seriously puts things into perspective. Frank 'I've covered wars y'know?' West and Chuck 'Handyman' Greene being how they are compared to him seems much more sensible now. Frank has seen poo poo first hand and Chuck is a dad in a video game so he'd do anything from suplexing a missile to the bad guy's headquarters to beating God to death with his bare hands to keep his daughter [or son maybe] safe.

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!
Not sure where the idea that he is 17 came from. I know that is incorrect but cannot debunk the idea right now without spoiling.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, two ultimate weapon sets? There must be some seriously roided up bosses. Or they rely on ranged combat, which you seem a bit short on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Innovacious posted:

Not sure where the idea that he is 17 came from. I know that is incorrect but cannot debunk the idea right now without spoiling.

I'll do it! I got eye-rolly about how we can't get a set age for him yet so I went and looked at the wiki. Nick is supposed to be in his 20s.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5QTfv0XE_Q

Very, very small character spoiler, just a character we haven't met yet doing some glitchy poo poo(At least I don't think we've met them yet?)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So it's like reverse-anime years, where everyone looks way older than they're supposed to be. Makes sense in a game like this.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren: AN UPDATE:siren:

Video 06 - The Graveyard [YouTube]

This is a pretty important one too. New people and some very interesting developments...

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 6, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Glad to see this isn't dead.

Nick being immune is pretty neat.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yay, not dead. I was hoping this would continue.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Dumb question, but about 28:52 into the video, some dude on top of a car just cackles and lights on fire. What the hell was going on there?

And definitely glad to see this back.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

seaborgium posted:

Dumb question, but about 28:52 into the video, some dude on top of a car just cackles and lights on fire. What the hell was going on there?

And definitely glad to see this back.

That was a biker, he's supposed to do that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gary seems a cool dude, in a way, but I feel he's gonna double cross poor ol' Nick.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Samovar posted:

Gary seems a cool dude, in a way, but I feel he's gonna double cross poor ol' Nick.

I'm pretty sure he won't. The way the writing's presenting himself, it's more likely he'll be out of a job (and possibly a life) because Nick's the better errand boy. I mean, guy's got a phone that can't respond to people so he can't sass them back and just sorta casually traipses around this place accomplishing objectives. Sounds like a real winner to send on an Overtime Mode-style item hunt.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Nah if Nick is what he's implied to be then him serving over his friend is a self-defeating thing at best.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, like David said, its a bunch of bikers who show up to give you a hard time with barricades and stuff. I don't know if he's supposed to throw the molotov at his feet for effect, or if it's supposed to be a ranged attack that for some reason messes up and has 0 range.

Unknown Quantity posted:

I'm pretty sure he won't. The way the writing's presenting himself, it's more likely he'll be out of a job (and possibly a life) because Nick's the better errand boy. I mean, guy's got a phone that can't respond to people so he can't sass them back and just sorta casually traipses around this place accomplishing objectives. Sounds like a real winner to send on an Overtime Mode-style item hunt.

It's worth noting that so far "The Boss" has no idea that Nick exists. Gary is pretty much taking initiative and contracting Nick out.

paragon1 posted:

Glad to see this isn't dead.

This LP will never die. It will just keep reanimating as the shambling corpse of an LP with an actual update schedule.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It looked like he hit something infront of him, maybe there was a pole or something in the way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Samovar posted:

I think he was expecting Nick to double-cross somebody else, what with that "bring her to me" bullshit.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This LP will never die. It will just keep reanimating as the shambling corpse of an LP with an actual update schedule.
Well, like a great American philosopher once said: "Don't matter how long it take, just git'er dun!".

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Video 07 - DLC - Chaos Rising Part 1 [YouTube]

So I'm starting in on the DLC in this video. Early on I say something about how it's "arguably the first DLC" but never really explain what I mean. The game itself lists this campaign as the third storyline, but I consider it the first since the character it's about is the first one you meet. Officially, they seem to be in chronological order based on when the storylines start, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Anyways, that's the explanation. Enjoy!

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 6, 2015

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I love Biker names. They're all so....bikery.

And Hunter is way more entertaining as a PC than as a boss.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wow what a misfire on that DLC. "Play as a character you probably didn't like and definitely didn't care about". I actually know quite a few guys at Capcom Vancouver but only one guy on this team, and his only credit is the ever elusive "associate producer" (e.g. could be getting coffee, could be writing the design doc who knows?).

I disagree with the bats against the main character though, he seems like a confused young guy with a lot of poo poo going down and they captured that relatively well.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I was skeptical at first of the DLC starting with this guy, but I'm gonna second Veyrall; I actually really like his personality, way more fun than the other guy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gee, I wonder who double-crossed him?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Could just be me but the game audio in the videos seems ridiculously low. Maybe the game itself is that low but I can hardly hear anything, the introduction with the TV screens was about a whisper.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

dscruffy1 posted:

Could just be me but the game audio in the videos seems ridiculously low. Maybe the game itself is that low but I can hardly hear anything, the introduction with the TV screens was about a whisper.

Is it just this video or every video?

edit: Yeah, seems like the intro is kinda quiet for some reason, but other part of the video seem fine to me. Can someone give a second opinion on that, and if that's the only problem I can fix it up and reupload.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 21, 2015

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

edit: Yeah, seems like the intro is kinda quiet for some reason, but other part of the video seem fine to me. Can someone give a second opinion on that, and if that's the only problem I can fix it up and reupload.

I also noticed that - I couldn't hear anything for the intro, but it seemed reasonably good (if maybe just a little quiet) for the remainder.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Ya goofed the audio levels, did you autoduck? Seems like it's just lowered game-volume across the board, rather than just lowering it outside of cutscenes.

And I wonder if Torque is a reference to that horror game with the prisoner Torque. Forget the name right now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ya goofed the audio levels, did you autoduck? Seems like it's just lowered game-volume across the board, rather than just lowering it outside of cutscenes.

And I wonder if Torque is a reference to that horror game with the prisoner Torque. Forget the name right now.

The Suffering. It was awesome. Then the sequel sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I do lower the game audio a little across the board and then autoduck. It seems the intro is just quiet for whatever reason so put those two together and it makes it too quiet. I heard it so many times through recording and editing that my brain probably just filled it in and I didn't notice. New version is encoded and uploading now. Should be fixed by tonight.

• Locked thread