Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Hi-sCool! Seha Girls is about Sega consoles as teenage girls going to a high school with a curriculum based around Sega's history. At SehaGaga Academy, the girls are given various tasks involving entering Sega video games in order to graduate.

Crunchyroll link

About
It's made in Miku Miku Dance and the episodes are 11 minutes long, but the first couple of episodes have already endeared it to me more than Neptunia ever did. Lots of fun little references have been sprinkled throughout so far that surprised me. I guess some of them shouldn't since characers like Bruno from Dynamite Cop have popped up in Project X Zone, but it is still fun to see nods like that.

Characters

Sega Saturn - voiced by Takahashi Minami
She mostly plays the straight man to Dreamcast's ditz and Mega Drive's know-it-all. Likes angular men.

Dreamcast- voiced by Ichimichi Mao
A ditz whose favorite food is the naruto that comes with ramen. Her family is poor.

Mega Drive - voiced by Izawa Shiori
The smart serious type that always has her face in her book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Huh, so there was a thread. It was just three pages back. Cool.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Is this as dumb as it looks?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

Is this as dumb as it looks?
imagine if you made early crtl + alt + del or penny arcade in mmd. just a bunch of video game jokes that kind of don't land.

theres a couple of jokes that were decent but it is mostly 'hey this game exists' 'cool.' if you've got nostalgia for sega then I could imagine it being fun to watch even if it didn't make you laugh, but it's mostly just video game references.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is basically just GD GD Fairies with video game jokes.

First episode is kind of lame but I liked 2 and 3 okay.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Surely it can't be worse than the Sega anime about the girl with the magic panties... right guys?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Well, I can clearly see the animation style is inspired by Hyperdevotion Noire for Vita

Dehry fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 28, 2014

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
looks like a sega take on gdgd fairies

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was kind of looking forward to this, but I can't say it's very good. "Game consoles as anime girls" is a good idea worth exploring, but the execution here is just boring and hard to enjoy.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I was kind of looking forward to this, but I can't say it's very good. "Game consoles as anime girls" is a good idea worth exploring, but the execution here is just boring and hard to enjoy.

Lol. I don't think game consoles as anime girls is an idea worth exploring.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Hyperdimension Neptunia does it better because they aren't trying to keep a positive image of their consoles.

They pretty much just copy>pasted Noire, Blanc, and Neptune into this show and put them in Sega games.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Can this be a thread about nep neps instead.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
i just want a shining force episode, is that too much to ask :smith:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

"Game consoles as anime girls" is a good idea worth exploring, but the execution here is just boring and hard to enjoy.

Second only to

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm just a sucker for basically any kind of "inanimate object or concept made into a living being". It makes this show extra disappointing.

The CGI reminds me of I Wanna Be The Strongest In The World for some reason, even though that show wasn't computer generated.

Dehry posted:

I think Hyperdimension Neptunia does it better because they aren't trying to keep a positive image of their consoles.

They pretty much just copy>pasted Noire, Blanc, and Neptune into this show and put them in Sega games.

Neptunia is too subtle. It goes for the most metaphorical route possible, which I don't find as interesting, personally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedHate posted:

Neptunia is too subtle.

:eyepop:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dehry posted:

Anything making direct references to Sega hardware in 2014 is effectively dancing on that concept's grave. I'm not sure what kind of brand protection you're detecting.

I like this better than Hyphatever because it doesn't take itself as seriously (relatively speaking), it's got a tie-in to good video games, and I have a harder time imagining someone beating off to this.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OnimaruXLR posted:

I have a harder time imagining someone beating off to this.

Really? Seriously? Like the outfits aren't as stripperiffic, but that doesn't really help anything.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Oh man the new episode is amazing. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Can this be a thread about nep neps instead.

Do whatever you want, just burn the place when you're done with it.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
lol people are seriously saying that neptunia is "too serious" and "too subtle"

this show would be better if it was just segagaga: the animated series and like that game was a big in-joke filled self-roasting about the grand history of sega being run further and further into the ground by idiots

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's impossible for this show to be better as it is already the best.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Is both this and Neptunia Sega properties? Why do they go with the same idea twice for two different applications, largely revisiting the same jokes?

If they wanted to expand the cast to have one girl represent each console instead of each company, I am curious why they didn't just do that straight away.

And then make some tactical strategy game where your goal is to beat out the competition by literally selling the best game in a region expressed in terms of warfare, with sales representing casualties.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Neptunia is made by idea factory.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We've had our Sonic episode. Everyone can go home now.

I think I'm going to hold out for Jet Set Radio since they're hitting all the more popular games.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The other Sega Hardware girls showed up i this week's episode...

...As cropped images of their official portraits and crude cartoon drawings

I love this stupid budget rear end show show

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back
Is Segata Sanshiro in this at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaTSCgkZ5IM

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
No.
I am still hoping that he is the secret identity of that rabbit, but I will probably be disappointed.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I guess this is cute but its no gdgd fairies

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This thread promised me hard girls. I am disappoint.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I got that uki uki waku waku feeling.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
This is a great one, OP. I've only seen a few episodes, though - I need to get caught up. My friend told me there was a Jet Set Radio themed episode that was released, recently..

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All the terrible Sega jokes make this show so goddamn watchable. All its really missing is a Segata shout out and some budget to hire a few more voice actors.

Did they ever mention what game the attractive black man running gag is from?

Also. I wonder if they are gonna do a Segagaga episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I guess what we learned from the series is that the Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast are all made from the corpse of an anime girl that was living in a TARDIS.

• Locked thread