Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
Problem - windows crashes trying to start up, even from recovery CD upon part swapping to an AMD FX 4300

Attempted fixes - AMD tech support call yielded zilch, reading guide for motherboard part ECS a960M-MV , CPU and windows 7 guide did nothing. tried recovery in multiple forms.

Recent change - from a dual core (unknown until inspected) to quad core AMD FX 4300.

OS - windows 7

Location - Moorhead MN, US

System specs - beyond an A960M-MV and AMD FX 4300 not much info.

Google: many times amongst all OS/CPU/Motherboard combos.

additional info - Windows 7 CD is a copied CD, not original, System is a non specific frankenstein build bought cheap off craigslist. I can open it up and find out info about more parts if needed, but crashing at recovery CD load is so weird I haven't seen it before. This is kind of a mess, my friend bought this to play FFXI lag free, but previous CPU/others parts cause visual stuttering lag hence the reason the better CPU was purchased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Can you confirm a few things for me? When it crashes does it give you a blue error screen, or does it do something else or just lock up entirely?

Are you able to access BIOS (press DEL during boot)? If so, go to the Advanced Tab and select CPU Configuration:

When you expand it, does it show the correct CPU information on the next screen:

The next step I would try is to set BIOS back to it's default configurations. It looks like pressing F3 while in BIOS should give you the option to Load Default Settings, which is something the motherboard manual says might need doing if you change hardware. If that fails you could also try resetting the BIOS using the CMOS jumper on your motherboard, as it's possible updates or changes are causing a conflict.

My inclination is BIOS related because of the hardware change and that it fails in multiple forms of booting.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
Also, have you considered that the CPU might be overheating? Did you install the new heatsink with it properly?

• Locked thread